HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Don Cherry Talk

Old
04-12-2008, 10:01 PM
HFXMooseHabs

vCash: 500
I can't remember the last time I posted on here. Must be about a year or so. Lately I've been lurking. But I've got to respond to this.

What I saw on the CBC tonight was an absolute joke. Yes, they've been anti-Montreal in the past but tonight was just beyond terrible.

The announcers on a national show are not supposed to have a favorite team. Kelly Hrudy isn't obviously rooting for San Jose is he?

What must an Amercian think, watching CBC on a webcast and seeing the announcers against the Canadian team. It's embarrassing.

The Olympics example is a poor one. Yes of course they were rooting for Canada. It's the CANADIAN broadcasting corporation. The vast majority of their viewers were Canadians.

Has it since changed to the Boston broadcasting corporation?

I was a big Don Cherry fan when I was a kid but no longer. It's time to get him off the air and get someone impartial on there. And it takes a lot for me to say that.

CBC doesn't have to be Montreal fans. But they shouldn't be obvious Boston fans either. Know your viewers or they'll abandon you and watch another channel. Oh wait, that's already happening. RDS outdrew CBC for game 1.

By the way, did Andrei Kostopulos play tonight? I didn't hear his name called.

HFXMooseHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Yes, the guy is a Bruins fan. Yes, he gets pissed when the refs ruin a game his favourite team is playing in. As do all of us.

You show me a totally impartial hockey analyst and I'll show you someone who knows nothing about hockey because they have no emotional investment.

Allow me to give an example. In the 1998 Olympics, we got great coverage here in Canada. And because the announcers were Canadian, they tended to call the game as such. They wanted our country to win, and found it tough to hide it in their calling the game. Could anyone forget the end of the 98 Olympics for Canada? "He's gotta score! That's all! No, he can't do it..."

Did you all jump on him for being Canadian and wanting to see his fellow countrymen succeed? No, you were all as dissppointed as he was.

Is Cherry a great analyst? Maybe no. But he makes no secret of his allegiances, and still does a decent job of calling to attention the successes and failures of both teams, not to mention doing a lot for hockey in Canada. If you don't want to listen, change the channel, but please give it a rest with "OMG BIASED!!!!!1!!!1"
Why would I ease up on him? Like the rest of us I help pay for his salary. The CBC is the CANADIAN Broadcasting Corporation so they can chear for the Canadian team all they want. Being biased AGAINST a Canadian team? Not while we are paying his salary

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mathletic

it's not like Cherry has much of an impact. He's been complaining on the icing rule for years and nobody has every done anything abut it. He's a clown, making jokes for people on tv to have a good time and he does it well.

Mathletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:05 PM
simnorm

Last game we had Kelly Hrudey's Behind the Mask. Talking about Cary Price, Hrudey did a brilliant intro to the first Bruins' goal.

I'm sick of Cherry, we need more Hrudey during Habs games.

simnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
No way, no way i will ever ease up on Cherry, because Cherry doesnt ease up on being the worst thing thats ever happened to Hockey

The guy just ceases to piss me off, about europeans, about visors, about equipment, its always the same old stupid thing, just die already.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:09 PM
emb24*

who wants to be cherry is done in this series?

tomorrow night it's hrudey and i have to believe we won;t see the don on Tuesday

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Post game, Ron MacLean had to correct Cherry about the high stick that he was accusing the Habs of after the penalty called against the Bruins in overtime. Cherry was going ballistic until Ron pointed out, with video evidence, that the high stick was an unequivocal follow through from a shot attempt.

I laughed and laughed and laughed....

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:14 PM
Ross MacLochness

Cherry is a Leaf fan who worked for the Bruins. He also doesn't like most Europeans.

Montreal's biggest rivals are the Bruins and Leafs. We also have quite a few Europeans..

You know what you are going to get when this guy talks about Montreal, just don't get too bothered by it.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habbiebo0gie

What's the point of this thread? Cherry-love? Gawd save it, if anything we should dedicate a thread to his awful performance today (again). As someone mentioned before, the Olympics example is a poor one, because we're talking about a Canadian corporation catering to Canadian viewers. Here, we're talking about Don Cherry's personal grudge getting national air on hockey night in CANADA (or Boston? ).

Who's got more fans in Canada? Montreal or Boston? Man this is so dumb. HNIC should make a conscious effort, if only based on an economic standpoint, to cater to as many of its viewers as possible. Well, too bad for them, they're losing big time ground to RDS nowadays. I just get really upset listening to this guy because he is constantly creating more animosity between Hab fans and the rest of the hockey world.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Post game, Ron MacLean had to correct Cherry about the high stick that he was accusing the Habs of after the penalty called against the Bruins in overtime. Cherry was going ballistic until Ron pointed out, with video evidence, that the high stick was an unequivocal follow through from a shot attempt.

That really shut is yap. What could Cherry say after that? I was actually surprised Ron MacLean backed us up or was it more to spite Cherry ?

Edit: I still hate his deliberate attempts to mispronounce Kovalev's name (Korvalev). What an ignoramous.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:15 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post

and yet he was still pouting like an old baby

Old
04-12-2008, 10:18 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
What's the point of this thread? Cherry-love? Gawd save it, if anything we should dedicate a thread to his awful performance today (again). As someone mentioned before, the Olympics example is a poor one, because we're talking about a Canadian corporation catering to Canadian viewers. Here, we're talking about Don Cherry's personal grudge getting national air on hockey night in CANADA (Boston?).

Who's got more fans in Canada? Montreal or Boston? Man this is so dumb. HNIC should make a conscious effort, if only based on an economic standpoint, to cater to as many of its viewers as possible. Well, too bad for them, they're losing big time ground to RDS nowadays. I just get really upset listening to this guy because he is constantly creating more animosity between Hab fans and the rest of the hockey world.
cbc is very worried. the new head of sports is a former Montrealer and they know they are losing anglo hab viewers to RDS. they were outdrawn in game one. cmon guys, we'll teach you a little french.

all you have to listen for is houde saying:

'est le buuuuuuuuuuuuuut'

and

pedneault's : 'oh c'est kovalev, quelle jeux de kovalev

houde: ' qui d'autre?'

and houde again:

'quel arret de price!!!!!!!!!!!!'

then you can follow the feel good buddy buddy tandem of brunet and demers between periods

Old
04-12-2008, 10:19 PM
ShuttFan

Last week, after the win against the Leafs, Cherry talked about Kovy playing so well because he was in a contract year. He suggested he wouldn't be very good next year after he signed his new contract.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Habnot

I lasted two periods watching on the CBC. Pre-Game was mostly on the Bruins. Cole was totally Bruins fanboy - at one point he say the Bruins deserve to score!!!!Never heard that from a play by play.

Then McLean and Cherry spend 10 minutes re-playing Kovy from 95 series. That was not a co-incidence.

I thought that the CBC was going to make an effort to get behind the Habs but it's clear that the broadcast team does not know the team and they are much more comfortable with the Bruins. I really is a shame.

So after the second, I reluctantly switched to RDS, And I am not going back. Now I am going to have to tolerate Pedneault's stalker like obsession in putting down Kovy.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:21 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan View Post
Last week, after the win against the Leafs, Cherry talked about Kovy playing so well because he was in a contract year. He suggested he wouldn't be very good next year after he signed his new contract.
yeah that was priceless. he never let's reality get in the way of his rants

Old
04-12-2008, 10:22 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I lasted two periods watching on the CBC. Pre-Game was mostly on the Bruins. Cole was totally Bruins fanboy - at one point he say the Bruins deserve to score!!!!Never heard that from a play by play.

Then McLean and Cherry spend 10 minutes re-playing Kovy from 95 series. That was not a co-incidence.

I thought that the CBC was going to make an effort to get behind the Habs but it's clear that the broadcast team does not know the team and they are much more comfortable with the Bruins. I really is a shame.

So after the second, I reluctantly switched to RDS, And I am not going back. Now I am going to have to tolerate Pedneault's stalker like obsession in putting down Kovy.
c'mon pedenault is fine...compared to anyone doing color on CBC.
and houde is great.

btw - you forgot cherry opening up the telecast next to the poster of bobby orr in studio

Old
04-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Melvin Udall

Don Cherry Talk

Enough is enough!

I live in Edmonton and have (involuntarily) been paying taxes (for about 28 years now) in support of Don Cherry to be paid by the CBC for cheering for the Boston Bruins and bad mouthing the Habs. He is supposed to working for Hockey Night in CANADA, not Hockey night in Boston!

I DO NOT WANT MY TAX DOLLARS SUPPORTING CHERRY ANY LONGER!

I hope the media in Montreal will take the CBC to task over this!

If you saw the post game comments from Cherry after game #2 of the current series, I assume you will know what I am refering to!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
Don't take him seriously. He's a clown paid to entertain. I laugh when I watch him, and nothing more.

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
c'mon pedenault is fine...compared to anyone doing color on CBC.
and houde is great.

btw - you forgot cherry opening up the telecast next to the poster of bobby orr in studio
Can you imagine Cherry trying that crap if the Bruins were playing in Toronto during the playoffs on CBC? He'd be fired the next day, without a doubt.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu21 View Post
Don't take him seriously. He's a clown paid to entertain. I laugh when I watch him, and nothing more.
Yup. He's like the monkey at the zoo. You give him some gum and he'll do all kinds of stupid stuff with it. In the end, he'll end up with the gum stuck in his hair and his foot stuck in his mouth.

You have to just watch and laugh.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:34 PM
JohnnyB11

I'd have to agree with the general sentiment in this thread. Cherry can be entertaining, his support of our troops is unmatched, and by times he makes some great points. It's OK Don, we get that the Bruins and Leafs are your favorite teams, but when you carry on like you have lately while you are working for the CBC on a national broadcast it's obvious you need to go.

That rant at the end of the game took the cake, and even after Ron corrected him about the supposed non-call against the Habs Don still didn't want to admit that maybe, just maybe, he was wrong and was letting his personal feelings cloud his judgement. Complaining about the tripping call which happened shortly thereafter was the icing on the cake. Sure it was a weak trip but a trip nonetheless.

Someone at CBC really has to sit Don down and straighten him out a little bit. He'll never like the Habs, the team or their players, but we don't expect him to. What we do expect however is that he not let his Bruin-colored glasses get in the way of everything he says or else there will be more and more switching over to RDS. I like watching games in English better than in French, but I've watched many on RDS that weren't televised by CBC. Starting to think I might just continue watching them on RDS even when the CBC option is there.

Shame on you, Don Cherry.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:35 PM
muzion

Valid points were made throughout this thread, and yet I'd still rather watch CBC. That's how much RDS' coverage irks me.

----------------
Now playing: Graham Central Station - The Jam
via FoxyTunes

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Cherry was an embarassement tonight.

Because he used to be with Boston we have to accept his lack objectivity? Hockey Night in Canada? Don't get me laugh, the guy doesn't give a damn about Canada, he keeps ridiculising Ottawa, Edmonton and Vancouver every chances he gets. When he says "we" it always means two things: We=Toronto, We=everybody against the Europeans. He's a simple-mind jerk.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND Irish View Post
Enough is enough!

I live in Edmonton and have (involuntarily) been paying taxes (for about 28 years now) in support of Don Cherry to be paid by the CBC for cheering for the Boston Bruins and bad mouthing the Habs. He is supposed to working for Hockey Night in CANADA, not Hockey night in Boston!

I DO NOT WANT MY TAX DOLLARS SUPPORTING CHERRY ANY LONGER!

I hope the media in Montreal will take the CBC to task over this!

If you saw the post game comments from Cherry after game #2 of the current series, I assume you will know what I am refering to!
he's old and dumb and very biased towards the leafs, b's and any canadian born player.

he pisses me off fierce as well though why would a clown like that still have a job, it sure shows me that as long as there are red necks out there supporting him nothing can be done.

#44_delivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 10:40 PM
NHLcrazy

What did he say exactly?

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote