HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Don Cherry Talk

Old
04-13-2008, 12:30 AM
LesCanadiens

vCash: 500
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Cherry, does and always has liked the Habs and the Habs org. He's been on our bandwaggon for a long time. The only thing is, his heart is with the Leafs and the Bruins....and he gets a bit over emotional and exaggerates.

I don't watch him usually, but I did happen to watch tonight....and all I could do was laugh 'cause he was actually making a bit of a fool of himself, IMO.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPack View Post
Oh yeah, says who? He was a career minor leaguer as a player and never won the cup as a coach, sorry but he's nothing but a blowhard.

This is the great Don Cherry, the all knowing hockey god ...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php3?pid=952
..pulls the hockeydb card

you don't need to be a good player to be a good coach, and just because you're a good player doesn't mean you'll be a good coach...plain and simple.

CBC employs him because a lot of people enjoy watching him, he speaks his mind which is more than welcome in our subservient country , IMO. And when a lot of people tune in to see Don...that makes the CBC happy and the CBC makes money. How is it such a 'mystery' to some why he's still on T.V.? He's an icon.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:40 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
That would be hard to do when he always has Toronto's in his mouth. I can't fathom how long he would last if he acted this way towards the Leafs.
You obviously havent watched Coaches corner much this season uh? He's ripped them a new one on more then one occasion.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:43 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
You obviously havent watched Coaches corner much this season uh? He's ripped them a new one on more then one occasion.
No I haven't. Ripping them with love in his heart??

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:44 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

you don't need to be a good player to be a good coach, and just because you're a good player doesn't mean you'll be a good coach...plain and simple.

CBC employs him because a lot of people enjoy watching him, he speaks his mind which is more than welcome in our subservient country , IMO. And when a lot of people tune in to see Don...that makes the CBC happy and the CBC makes money. How is it such a 'mystery' to some why he's still on T.V.? He's an icon.
Problem is that not as many people are tuning in to CBC, who are actually being outdrawn by a much smaller RDS, and I can guarantee you that Cherry has a role in that.

I can also guarantee you that if Cherry was always ragging on your team and trying to find pseudo-veiled attacks at any opportunity he could, you;d be less inclined to like/be entertained by him.

There's a reason why he was fired by CBC in the past.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:45 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
No I haven't. Ripping them with love in his heart??
Indeed, with the love of a hungry mother hamster with a litter of babies resting beside her.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:46 AM
polarslam

Anyone have the 3rd period Cherry meltdown on youtube?

polarslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:48 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarslam View Post
Anyone have the 3rd period Cherry meltdown on youtube?
The guy who normally uploads it didn't put the aftermath meltdown up, and neither did anybody else. Unless...they titled it something strange like asdhajkdhajlsd

edit: just searched for "asdhajkdhajlsd", nothing there

Old
04-13-2008, 12:51 AM
HabsPack

Quote:

Of course I do, facts are facts and indisputable.

Cherry has been a Leaf cheerleader for yrs, that's the only reason why he's still on CBC Saturday Night in Toronto. He fills a niche, he speaks to the sheep ... if I were a Laff fan I'd love him.

Guarantee you, with Toronto on a free fall and likely starting over, Cherry will not be around much longer on CBC considering his "schtick" and age.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Problem is that not as many people are tuning in to CBC, who are actually being outdrawn by a much smaller RDS, and I can guarantee you that Cherry has a role in that.
Exactly. If CBC had TSN's awesome team, they would smoke RDS.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:59 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
The guy who normally uploads it didn't put the aftermath meltdown up, and neither did anybody else. Unless...they titled it something strange like asdhajkdhajlsd

edit: just searched for "asdhajkdhajlsd", nothing there
The OT segmant Cherry did was absolutely disgusting to watch.. Poor Ron had to try and convince senile Don that Markov's stick came up on the follow-through, thus was an accident and didn't deserve a call. Ron is trying to sell Canada some Canadian hockey, and Don is working in the opposite direction. The guy needs to go, its one thing to be a fan but you need to be intelligent.

I mean even most of the guys on 110% don't go and pull fits like this.

JGRB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:07 AM
bib
#believe

If anyone wants to watch it, I found it online here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/player/

click CBC'S HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA on the left

then click Ron & Don Wrap: April 12

Old
04-13-2008, 01:11 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
If anyone wants to watch it, I found it online here:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/player/

click CBC'S HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA on the left

then click Ron & Don Wrap: April 12

Old
04-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Chet-Nick

Having officiated for many years. Ron MacLean was right. Cherry, being the ignorant hick that he is, refused to accept MacLean's logic on the matter.

We've seen this annoying pattern for years. Cherry is openly pro-Bruin, pro-Maple Leaf, pro-Canadian (to the point where he has issues with other ethnic groups). For CBC to keep him employed. That's their shame. The man is lost in a timewarp.

Here's the rule concerning high sticking ...

Rule 60 – High-sticking

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height

of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in

control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or

goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is

committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion.

A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal

windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the

height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

All Cherry has to do is read the rules set by the league. Oh, hold on. Did I say "Cherry" and "read" in the same sentence? Sorry. Should have known better.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Diamond Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Exactly. If CBC had TSN's awesome team, they would smoke RDS.
Ya that's for sure, TSN blows everything in the country out of the water. The only thing stopping me from maybe wanting a TSN Saturday Night is the history that is HNIC.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:15 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
What I understand is how come an ex-coach (not much success there) and a guy paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to comment on a sport he has been working on can be so ignorant of the rulebook?

Did he ever read it?

How come CBC hire an incompetent?
It is not Cherry that should be fired but the guys who hired him...
He makes Leafs fans feel good?

Old
04-13-2008, 01:21 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Ya that's for sure, TSN blows everything in the country out of the water. The only thing stopping me from maybe wanting a TSN Saturday Night is the history that is HNIC.
I understand where you are coming from.. But it may just be time for change, the only reason I even watch the playoffs on CBC is for the HD.. RDSHD isn't offered in my area, only RDS.. Stupid, yeah.

Old
04-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Habbiebo0gie

Quote:

He wasn't a good coach. He had a stacked team in front of him and got smoked on multiple occasions by the Habs.

As for your second point, you obviously didn't know that RDS owned CBC for Game 1 TV ratings. Might I mention that not only is RDS in French, but it is also MUCH smaller than CBC. Many English speaking Habs fans have turned to RDS in order to avoid that washed up clown.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Chet-Nick

Once in a blue moon he'll criticize Toronto's management for not drafting enough Canadian boys. The way Cherry once ran his old OHL Mississauga IceDogs (no Eurpoeans/tough hockey) epitomize of his lack of understanding and respect for the modern age of the game.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:43 AM
ChrisF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
The reason so many people are a little ticked off is because you'd expect a little habs bias watching a Montreal/Boston playoff game on a Canadian network, not the other way around. I got the feeling that some of the guys on the show wanted Montreal to lose the game. It was just odd and really hard to explain. If it was a Leaf game all you'd be hearing about is Leafs this, Leafs that...
i guess i can understand. this phenomenon is notihing unique though. i'm a red sox fan and i feel the same way about the fox coverage of the boston yankees series... to my ears tim mccarver seems to have a party in his pants whenever it comes to the yankees. yankees fans seem to think the whole of espn roots against them though... same thing goes for the pats, new england's so successful it seems like all the national talking heads are rooting against them.

ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:48 AM
TwinTurbo

So wait, let me get this straight. My taxes are paying his salary so he can turn arround and bash night in and night out the team he's supposed to be commenting on?

talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:53 AM
the vinyl version

Your tax money does not support Don Cherry.
HNIC is VERY profitable for CBC, and they pay their on air "talent" with those profits, and not with tax dollars.

However, I will agree with you on your other point. CBC is the only place to watch the Habs playoff games in English, but it comes across as a Boston broadcast of the game. Cherry should not be allowed on during our games.

the vinyl version is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:54 AM
kevanos

The Canadian Broadcasting Company doesn't support this great edition of the Habs. The city is going bat**** crazy, Henri Richard said he's never heard anything like the Bell Centre right now. Brisebois says its way crazier than the 93 cup, and this is the 1st series. But CBC is so slanted against the Habs right now, the French network is killing them in ratings.

I wonder if they'll keep showcasing the Habs like this if they are the only Canadian team to move on. F Don Cheery and F Bob Cole and F the Leafs loving, Habs hating CBC. And F PJ Stock, put ONE freaking non hab hater on the show for Christ sake. They need to smarten up and shape up, this is our national broadcasting company and they're supporting the freaking Bruins, what the F!!!!!!! our taxes put to good use again.

If we win the cup, HNIC should focus on the Habs next year rather than a repeat version of this years Laffs.

kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Randy_Bobandy

Well I know the guy is old and senile and maybe a little biased but he is entertaining nontheless and if the Habs keep winning than who really cares? It would be like rubbing salt into his 30 year old wound.

Randy_Bobandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 03:08 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Well if you check the comments for the game story on CBC's website, about 9/10 of the comments are outright complaints to CBC for Cherry's ridiculous bias. They get what they deserve. They need to bring on a Montreal guy to counter it, because Cherry's too "lucrative" for them and they're scared to tell him what to say cause the man's a belligerent jackass. But I doubt they will.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote