HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany

Tom KÜHNHACKL

Old
10-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Watched Kühnhackl yesterday when Landshut was playing at Crimmitschau. Now he didn't get that much ice time because Landshut was coming in with a 1-5 record and probably wanted to push their veterans and foreigners but anyway, here's what I saw:

His listed size of 6'2" and 168 lbs seems about right, he looked pretty tall (very upright skating style) and thin out there. Definitely a lanky kid but he's still only 17 so he has time to fill out. With his dad's genes, he should easily get to 6'3" and 190-200 lbs. Didn't initiate much contact but did not shy away from it either. One time he took a hard hit into the boards that sent his helmet flying, didn't faze him at all.

What struck me was how confident and well-rounded he played against grown men, at his age. He didn't get to show off his speed much but his initial quickness is good, his hands are very good, and he seems to have very good awareness and decision-making. Knows where to be in his own zone as well. His head was always up and "on a swivel". That's stuff many German forwards don't EVER learn so I was impressed.

He lined up at LW but would help his team all over the ice. Went to the net a lot, not only in front but also behind it. He put up 2 assists (his first points of the season) by going behind the net, using his reach and quick reaction to pounce on loose pucks and dish them to the crease for tap-in goals.

Kühnhackl would tear up the German juniors and be a regular scorer in the 3rd tier Oberliga, at 17 in the Bundesliga he has a hard time getting productive minutes but he looked pretty good. Getting tons of ice time with Windsor couldn't have hurt but this kid's definitely going to get drafted next June either way.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:30 PM
cfaub

Burgs

Appreciate hearing the news about Tom. As a Windsor fan it is good to hear about someone who is doing well even though he has not reported to the organization as of yet.

A quick question if you have any information about him.

A couple of weeks ago a few Windsor fans on other boards had mentioned there were rumours about the possibility that Tom may yet report to Windsor, sooner rather than later.

My question is if there have been any similar rumours floating around in Germany about this being a possibility still at this point in the season? I know he is under contract for the season but the rumours being posted stated there were only a few details to work out with his team over his contract then he would report.

I am just trying to find out if this is more speculation or misinformation that is behind these rumours or if there is some basis for them. Any info, news or even rumours would be greatly appreciated.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Burgs

Sorry, haven't heard anything about him leaving. Not many Germans go the CHL route anyway. Last year, Toni Ritter left Heilbronn (same league as Landshut) mid-season to play for Montreal Junior but that's the exception rather than the norm. Plus Ritter was just one of many prospects on a club that is as close to a pure farm team as it gets. Kühnhackl on the other hand plays "hometown hero" in Landshut. If keeps getting very little ice time in the 2. Bundesliga, maybe he'll make a move but as of now I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

Old
10-04-2009, 03:50 PM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
If keeps getting very little ice time in the 2. Bundesliga, maybe he'll make a move but as of now I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.
he played top6 last year and will get the same this year. he struggled early in the season going scoreless in his DEL game and i think 5 2nd-tier games. then got send down to U18 for one game where he had two assists. he bounced back in 2nd-tier on friday with 2 assists as you mentioned and today he had a hattrick! it seems that he's back on track.

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 04:48 PM
cfaub

Burgs and zecke26

Thanks for the info. I am guessing the rumours going around were more of the misinformed type along with some hopeful fans.

I will continue to follow any info that you two can post on here.

Thanks again

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:28 PM
wings5

I don't get how this is a big accomlishment he may be 17 but players like Flaake and others before him were playing in the DEL at the same age and Kuhnhackl is not dominating by any means. I know its a mens league but for being the best young talent from Germany in a long time you'd think he'd be playing in the best league in Germany or at least putting up some better stats compared to some "lesser" German prospects.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I don't get how this is a big accomlishment he may be 17 but players like Flaake and others before him were playing in the DEL at the same age and Kuhnhackl is not dominating by any means. I know its a mens league but for being the best young talent from Germany in a long time you'd think he'd be playing in the best league in Germany or at least putting up some better stats compared to some "lesser" German prospects.
You can`t judge a player by his stats. He obviously has something that the other prospects don`t or he wouldn`t be so hyped.

Also, he is playing in the DEL part time, and they dont want him playing there full time because it would hinder his development. They would probably much rather him get top 6 minutes in the tier-2 league than him play 5 minutes a game in the DEL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Sanderson

Quote:
Flaake wasn't playing DEL at the same age.
At 16/17, Kühnhackl put up 0.5 PPG in a men's league, while Flaake was still playing juniors. Flaake's first DEL-season, a season in which he played only half the games and didn't get any kind of significant icetime, is the season Kühnhackl is in now. Kühnhackl could easily play the role Flaake played that season, but he prefers to actually play.

And whose stats are you even comparing him to?
There isn't a single German talent that put up any kind of comparable numbers in a men's league at a similar age in the last few years. Gogulla played juniors the year earlier and had a whopping 2 points in his draft year, Flaake played juniors the year earlier and had 1 point in his draft year. Felix Schütz didn't play in Germany in his draft year, but put up 3 points in tier-two at the same age Kühnhackl put up 21.

The only ones who actually have done something equal or better at the same age, are our three NHL-forwards, Sturm, Hecht and Goc.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
wings5

I may have come across wrong but I'm just saying it would be wrong to call him the next anything or hype him at least until he plays in the DEL or Canadian Juniors.

Old
10-06-2009, 04:36 AM
Sanderson

Obviously anything can happen, but this guy has already done something that no other prospect in recent times has done. You don't need to play DEL, it's not like those who have got more than a few minutes here and there.

It's not like he couldn't play DEL, he just doesn't want to do it on a regular basis, because it's just a bad idea. It doesn't matter how talented you are, DEL-teams don't really care about that. Would you rather see a top-prospect get goon-like minutes in the NHL or lots of icetime in the AHL?

If you look at where the players like Gogulla or Flaake got most of their icetime at that age, it was in juniors. Those few minutes in the DEL don't add much. Kühnhackl, on the other hand, doesn't get the bulk of his playing time in juniors, he's already playing fulltime in a men's league, and has done so for more than one year now.

Plus, there is a noticeable difference when you watch them play. There is just something all the others didn't have.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Burgs

I guess a little bit it's also because of his pedigree, as the son of Germany's "Player of the Century". If his name was Klaus Schmidt, I don't think he'd be getting the coverage he does. But that's not because he's overhyped but because the German media doesn't generally care about hockey at all.

Tom Kühnhackl was named Rookie of the Year in the 2. Bundesliga last season as a 17 year old. As of today he is leading Landshut in scoring (followed by 16-year old Tobias Rieder - Landshut is a junior powerhouse). The kid is the real deal.

For comparison, our best recent forward prospects at age 17:

Kühnhackl: 11-10-21 in 42 games in the 2. Bundesliga (turned 17 in February of that season)
Flaake: 32-32-64 in 36 games in U18 juniors (turned 17 in March of that season)
Gogulla: 1-1-2 in 47 DEL games plus 4-5-9 in 7 U18 games (turned 17 in July before that season)
Schütz: 1-2-3 in 24 games for Landshut in 2. Bundesliga plus 6-8-14 in 9 U18 games (turned 17 in November of that season)

Old
10-06-2009, 03:37 PM
zecke26

and there's no real "the next xy" talk. the only comparison i heard was from the junior coaches in landshut who said that kuehnhackl is their best prospect sind sturm and is comparable.

for the NHL "the next sturm" might nothing worth talking about, for germany it would mean a lot.

Old
10-16-2009, 10:21 PM
wings5

Ranked 30th by ISS. He may deserve to be a first rounder but I don't think he will be.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11963

Old
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
1. Kuhnhackl has a contract with Landshut. So this is his Team to play the full season

2. He will play DEL, if Landshut has no Game themself

3. He is going to play for Augsburg (against Hannover, 24th november)
if he can get on the scoreboard, maybe they rank him higher ???

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 07:46 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Ranked 30th by ISS. He may deserve to be a first rounder but I don't think he will be.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11963
It wouldn't surprise me if San Jose uses their 1st rounder on him (I think they have one). They have a history of drafting a lot of German players including Sturm and Marcel Goc in the first round.

Old
11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
james bond

All this bantering back and forth has me confused. During my time in Germany, I was extremely impressed by the level of organization that seemed to be apparent everywhere. However, it doesnt seem that the hockey system shares the same concise level of organization.
Does anyone agreee? Is there a chance that this improves?

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Dfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
All this bantering back and forth has me confused. During my time in Germany, I was extremely impressed by the level of organization that seemed to be apparent everywhere. However, it doesnt seem that the hockey system shares the same concise level of organization.
Does anyone agreee? Is there a chance that this improves?
What do you mean with bantering back and forth? In what way is it a sign of disorganization?

I don't really disagree with your assumption of a low level of organization in professional hockey but I'm trying to figure out what you mean exactly.

I do disagree with a general level of organization you observed in your time here. It's a stereotype.

Dfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2009, 06:37 PM
wesott11

I would be happy if Anaheim took him with philly's 1st round pick.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:15 AM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfire View Post
What do you mean with bantering back and forth? In what way is it a sign of disorganization?

I don't really disagree with your assumption of a low level of organization in professional hockey but I'm trying to figure out what you mean exactly.

I do disagree with a general level of organization you observed in your time here. It's a stereotype.
As for the first point it, seems like the player is playing on all these different teams rather than being situated in one place.
For example, if he played on one team he could more easily:
* set some goals for the season
* goals could be being efficient on the PK, PP, defensive responsibilities, skating stride, edges, shot, etc...
*know what he wants to achieve and proper coaching to achieve them

Staying with one team would allow you to be more accountable and have a more personable relationship with your coaches.

The final point was how everthing was things seemed on time, clean and orderly. A transit system that works. Low tolerence for drunk drivers and careless vehicle operators in general... Just my experience though. Sounds like yours is different, maybe you can explain.

Last edited by james bond: 11-12-2009 at 01:20 AM. Reason: grammar
james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Dfire

Quote:
As for the first point it, seems like the player is playing on all these different teams rather than being situated in one place.
For example, if he played on one team he could more easily:
* set some goals for the season
* goals could be being efficient on the PK, PP, defensive responsibilities, skating stride, edges, shot, etc...
*know what he wants to achieve and proper coaching to achieve them
Like most promising players under a certain age he has a "Förderlizenz" with which he can play for one lower tier team as well as one DEL-team. So it's basically a two-way contract.

He is a player and a product of Landshut but since this season he also has a förderlizenz for Augsburg for which he has played 1 game so far! Similar things happen to players in north america all the time.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...09&encode=TRUE

Quote:
The final point was how everthing was things seemed on time, clean and orderly. A transit system that works. Low tolerence for drunk drivers and careless vehicle operators in general... Just my experience though. Sounds like yours is different, maybe you can explain.
You probably haven't used the national rail system a lot if you got the feeling that everything is on time. You probably haven't been to Ludwigshafen or Berlin (outside of "Mitte") if you think everything is clean. Berlin is one of the large cities with most graffiti worldwide. Don't get me wrong. It's part of why I love it.

But Germany is definately not more organized than let's say Australia or the Netherlands for example. Germany-being-organized is a classic sterotype that derives from certain aspects of the two world words (i.e. war industry and concentration camps).

Old
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Dfire

He injured his shoulder and will most likely miss the Division 1 U20 tournament in France.

Old
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
JVR
HeadHitsAreNotIllega

That's a shame.

JVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 10:54 AM
zecke26

he's definitely out

Old
01-28-2010, 07:41 PM
smitty10

Now that he's back how is he playing? Still have a chance at being a 1st rounder?

Old
01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
mexicohockey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqf0Vp4ijXA

nice video. Kühnhackl wears #14 like his dad, Rieder #22 and Forster #18. All three of them have been pretty cold recently. Thez had only one goal and nod assist combined over the last five games. Tom scored the lone goal in an 8-1 rout against bottom dwellers Freiburg.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote