HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking at Rolston and Ryder/Jagr speculation

Old
04-13-2008, 05:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers looking at Rolston and Ryder/Jagr speculation

This was in the Larry Brooks Sunday column

Quote:
You might want to keep on an eye throughout the playoffs on impending Minnesota free-agent left wing and power-play point man Brian Rolston, and on impending Montreal free-agent right wing Michael Ryder, because the Rangers sure are.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/04132008...372.htm?page=2

Don't get worried about the bonus rulings(it's in the column) finally coming down because the Rangers aren't taking those rulings as cap hits.This subject was covered last May

Quote:
The NHL legal department informed the Rangers yesterday that any payments they might owe Bobby Holik under his signing-bonus grievance will not be applied against their 2007-08 cap, The Post has learned.

The league has ruled that the disputed 2006 signing bonus of $2 million - $1.52M after the 24 percent rollback - would have been part of the Rangers' July 29, 2005 Compliance Buyout of Holik and thus would not have originally counted against the cap.

Though Article 50 of the CBA provides for cap charges against a team in the event of owed, future payments to a player, and though a source familiar with the case had told The Post that the Blueshirts would face a penalty if found liable in the grievance hearing scheduled for June 26, the league informed the Rangers the clause would not be interpreted to cover disputed Compliance Buyouts made in the one-time amnesty period in the labor agreement.

Holik also is challenging the non-payment of a $2M bonus payment due during the lockout on July 1, 2005. Darius Kasparaitis and Jed Ortmeyer also have filed grievances for withheld bonuses due on that date for $1M and $150,000, respectively. As those payments were due before CBA, they would not be applied against the cap
http://www.nypost.com/seven/05222007...rry_brooks.htm

Bloch has finally gotten around making his ruling.The Rangers won't take a cap hit for 08-09 for the Holik money

Quote:
Although general manager Glen Sather said months ago that he wanted to re-sign Jagr, the brass is divided and reportedly anxious to turn the reins over to Scott Gomez and Chris Drury, the two free-agent centers who were signed to long-term deals last summer.

Jagr jokes that if the Rangers don't want him, maybe 29 other teams would. Some former teammates have suggested privately that Jagr has been unhappy .because he has lost some clout with management (he was disappointed that the club didn't re-sign former playmaking center Michael Nylander, for example).

And he has raised the possibility of playing in Omsk, Russia, where he played during the NHL lockout, playing in Europe, or returning to his native Czech .Republic. "If my father asked me to come home, I would," he told Newsday last week
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,5001639.story

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
I'd take Rolston.. very consistent and defensively responsible player. fits the north american core we're moving towards, but his age concerns me.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 05:36 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I never understood why the devs never played this guy more.

Oh wait, he was an exciting player. They don't like that over there.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Ola

I love Gomez and you can do nothing but admireing Chris Drury. But there should be no misstakes made about these guys having potential to be for us what Zetterberg& Datsyuk is for Detroit for example.

Drury dissapears for long stretches before often showing up at the absolutely right second, but he can't carry our offense.

Gomez is great, he defenitly makes everyone around him allot better, and he got potential to develop and use his shot more, and create more space for him that way, but he doesn't got the top end ability to lead a team offensivly alone.

In my world we always got to replace Jagr, or keep him. We can't dump him and replace him with depth vet.

I like Roloson, but we shouldn't sign him, if anything we should look for the "next Roloson". Its not good cap management to sign thoose type of players, IE for starters someone who to some extent is the sum of the enviorment he is in -- Minny is very well oiled and allot of players work extremely hard which creates openings for someone like Roloson that he wouldn't get on many other teams. And also someone who is the age Roloson is. And Roloson defenitly wouldn't come cheap. Hes the type of guy who everyone from Edmonton, Columbus to NYI think that they got a chance of getting and probably are prepaired to shell out 4-5m per for, atleast.

I don't know about Ryder either. He is kind of one dimensional.

If JJ is lost, my first option might be Ryan Malone. You need to get someone who can play over his cap hit, we especially need that with Gomez and Drury. Otherwise Slats got to look at trade options.

Last edited by Ola: 04-13-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I doubt Jagr leaves. But if he does, it's Hossa or bust.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:04 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Reason 727 to dislike Larry Brooks. There is absolutely no reason to do this now. But he's smart. He knows that the Ranger fan can be a sheep and will believe everything they read.

I am sure I will hear tonight Jagr is gone after this season, that it's obvious he's unhappy - he doesn't stay out for the whole warmups, and the Rangers are getting Rolston, Gaborik and Burns for Prucha.

04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
blue2noise

Pass on Rolston. Go for Malone

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:33 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Reason 727 to dislike Larry Brooks. There is absolutely no reason to do this now. But he's smart. He knows that the Ranger fan can be a sheep and will believe everything they read.

I am sure I will hear tonight Jagr is gone after this season, that it's obvious he's unhappy - he doesn't stay out for the whole warmups, and the Rangers are getting Rolston, Gaborik and Burns for Prucha.
In Brook's defense. The last quote was from Newsday, not Brooks.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I'd take Rolston.....
I pick this guy every year in fantasy. He plays all three forward positions and is a very solid player. But if came to him and Malone, I would go for Malone. Now if there was ANY reasonable way to get Brown from LA that would be my 1st choice

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 08:55 AM
Jim Ramsay

I've always loved Rolston's game and would love to see him as a Ranger....but this still seems out of left field

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:09 AM
mstraka82

Uh NO way, Jags is coming back thats it, rolston is an ex devil

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Levitate

Dunno, Sather usually keeps his hand a lot more hidden than this, so I'm not inclined to jump on this and think it's 100% accurate.

At any rate, it's not important right now either

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post

Does his coverage of the arbitration bother you that much?

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Jagr is not leaving.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Barnaby

I always liked Rolston... If Shanny doesn't come back, and he signs a 1-year deal deal I'd do it... but I'm sure he can get a 3-year deal somewhere - so I'd have to pass.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:54 AM
WheresBarnaby

I don't buy that Jagr's unhappy with managment. If he was we would know, as it always seems to affect his play, and he's playing the best hockey of the season right now.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:08 AM
beastly115

I want Malone.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:12 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Uh NO way, Jags is coming back thats it, rolston is an ex devil
so is gomez lol

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
I pick this guy every year in fantasy. He plays all three forward positions and is a very solid player. But if came to him and Malone, I would go for Malone. Now if there was ANY reasonable way to get Brown from LA that would be my 1st choice
Signed to a great long-term contract that kicks in next season, I don't see LA dealing Brown away, reasonably at least. I wish though.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
jmb9191

Wait, Jagr isn't playing tonight?! Hes gone?! And we got Ryder?!?!

Jags is playing tonight, thats all that matters to me at this point. 14 more wins, then we can talk about whos going where.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:22 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I'd take Rolston.. very consistent and defensively responsible player. fits the north american core we're moving towards, but his age concerns me.
it shouldnt....hes still very fast and that shot is still with him...it would be great to finally have someone the Rangers could put on the point for the PP

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:24 AM
pld459666

Considering that Drury is not a play making center, I would think that getting a play making winger to compliment Drury would be a starting point.

Not sure that Rolston, Ryder or Malone fit that bill for Drury's line.

For Gomez, either one would be a nice fit.

For Drury, a winger like Hossa would probably be a real fit.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I think I'd take a run at Rolston in the offseason if he came at a reasonable price and a 1 year contract. He's 35 and has 31 goals and 55 pts last season, 28 of which were on the PP. I think he made a hair under $2.5 million last season. Somewhere around there w/ some sort of bonus that could be deferred until the following season could work well.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:33 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

I get to watch Rolston every game and he is certainly a solid versatile player. Age is a concern but for a three year term, I would support his signing. I expect he will stay here though because he is a) very popular and b) seemingly very comfortable with his role on a Jacques Lemaire coached team. The Wild are in tough salary cap spot for a number of reasons and there is a lot of speculation here that both he or Demetria are going to have to go next year. The problem letting Demetria go is that he is Gaborik's best friend and mentor. The biggest anchors are (tee-hee) Kim Johnsson's absolutely ridiculous $4.8MM/year contract and (healthy scratch) Mark Parrish at $2.6MM. Parrish may get bought out so they can keep Rolston.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:34 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I think I'd take a run at Rolston in the offseason if he came at a reasonable price and a 1 year contract. He's 35 and has 31 goals and 55 pts last season, 28 of which were on the PP. I think he made a hair under $2.5 million last season. Somewhere around there w/ some sort of bonus that could be deferred until the following season could work well.
Not even close...he'll get 3 years at $4MM minimum. Do you realize how good he is?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote