HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking at Rolston and Ryder/Jagr speculation

Old
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
would rather trade prucha than dawes. Dawes has a higher upside as well, and is cheaper.
absolutely agree......prospal, if he is available would be a great pickup....he can shoot, pass and finish the puck.....

malone is the only other player i would like to look at on forward

i think a spot should be kept open for a young player so:

jagr-dubi-prospal
malone-gomez-dawes
callahan-drury-______
sjostrom/______-betts-orr

if straka comes back then one less UFA.....if they want to play prucha, one less UFA....if jagr doesnt come back, then one more UFA or another spot for a young player....either way at least one forward prospect should graduate next year

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
absolutely agree......prospal, if he is available would be a great pickup....he can shoot, pass and finish the puck.....

malone is the only other player i would like to look at on forward

i think a spot should be kept open for a young player so:

jagr-dubi-prospal
malone-gomez-dawes
callahan-drury-______
sjostrom/______-betts-orr

if straka comes back then one less UFA.....if they want to play prucha, one less UFA....if jagr doesnt come back, then one more UFA or another spot for a young player....either way at least one forward prospect should graduate next year
Prospal is an interesting player who I would consider... Malone I think is completely overrated and will be completely overpaid and end up a bust/bad contract. i would steer clear of him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
eco's bones

Prospal scored 33 times this year but for his career he's been primarily a set-up man more than a goalscorer. He's also 33 already and it wouldn't surprise me if some team gave him a 4 or 5 year deal in the $5 million range anyway. That would be too much. He is having a great playoffs but instant chemistry between him and Briere.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Ola

Wade Redden=Eli Manning?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 12:24 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Wade Redden=Eli Manning?
Only if Redden changes sporting careers.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2008, 04:07 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Hossa has 8 points in 8 games. He's had 43 points in 63 playoff games and everyone still says he "disappears in the playoffs." I just don't get it. Hossa would be brilliant with Gomez, and he's one of the best 2-way forwards in the league, which given our style of play makes him invaluable.
Hossa has 8 points in 8 games playing aside Crosby.

Otherwise, his career in the playoffs can be described as just short of futility.

One of the best 2-way forwards in league? His defense isn't bad, but FAR from one of the best 2-way forwards in the league, let's not go overboard here.

Quote:
The only thing that makes him anything less than a "abso-fricking-lutely" is the price. Can we really afford him, and manage to get the other pieces we need?
It's possible.

Quote:
Huselius can generate offense on his own which is a great thing considering outside of Gomez, we have no play maker next year if Jagr is gone. Plus, wasn't Jagr pretty much in the dog house everywhere he's played? I think Renney has a knack for turning selfish players into team players, so I think he's a better option than you think.
Believe me, I've seen a lot more of Huselius than you think I have.

Huselius doesn't generate offense completely on his own, and he has no clue of what the word defense means. He's the kind of player that we're trying to stay away from. Jagr is still not a "team player" as far as I'm concerned. Any player that demands the team be built to his wants and needs, and doesn't show up if things don't go his way is not a "team player."

I don't know if you have Center Ice or not, but this is a guy who's spent sometime on the pine this season. Provided, it was Iron Mike Keenan's call, but you don't spend time on the pine for no reason, even with a slavedriver like Keenan.

Quote:
Rolston is a good option, but he and Brunette are different players. Brunette is a play maker with the ability to net ~20 goals a season. He has decent size (6'1" 212lbs) and he's managed to register the majority of his points at even strength. I don't know how many times you've seen Brunette play, but he's extremely strong on the puck.
I've seen them both play, and I never said Brunette wasn't strong on the puck, he's actually very strong on it. Rolston is just stronger on and off the puck, and is a smarter all around player who is more slightly more versatile due to his defensive abilities. If Andrew Brunette came cheap, and we couldn't get Rolston, I'd be for it. He can still score 20 goals and 50-60 points on your 2nd line, and he wouldn't be out of place on any other line. The guy finds a way to make it work, but my first option is Rolston. He's a guy that can be out on PK and PP, and handle all of the minutes. Not only that, but he has that big shot.

Quote:
And like I said before, if we let Jagr go, we have no play maker in our lineup other than Gomez. I don't know why everyone is thinking the guy is going to command 3 or 4 mil a year. He's coming out of a contract where he was making 1.6 and he'll be 35 at the start of the season.
Who is going to command 3 or 4, Brunette?

If you are talking about Brunette, then the guy could command anywhere from 2-3, if you ask me. If it's more towards 2, and we can't get Rolston, then I say go for it.

Quote:
If you're going to sign Hossa to play with Gomez, Brunette has to be an option for the 2nd line. If only for a year until AA and Cherepanov can be brought in.
I think Hossa is the viable option, but there's just some doubts about him... I don't know if he can be the top-gun come playoff time and carry the load on his back.

Quote:
If you want to move Backman, try to package him with Dawes and a mid round pick and ship him off to another team who needs depth players like Dawes. Maybe Columbus for Klesla.
We'd be lucky to get a bag of pucks for Backman.

JD is laughing his ass off to the bank on that one, he DEFINITELY owes us.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The early-morning favourites to go after Calgary's UFA winger Kristian Huselius are Boston, Ottawa, St. Louis, Vancouver, the Islanders and the Devils. Huselius is a perfect second-line winger who doesn't like a lot of responsibility or pressure piled on him. He had 66 points and only 42 NHL players had more.
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...5de95b98de&p=2

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:36 AM
eco's bones

I don't see the Islanders picking up the better free agents. lLast year they started signing players late--pretty much the leftovers and I expect it will be much the same this year with the players up for grabs not quite as good. After the first month or two of the season the wheels fell off the bus. Nolan is a good coach but that team is not deep in any respect and if Huselius doesn't like being pressured it doesn't seem like he'd fit in there nor in New Jersey with Sutter as coach. Neither place has proven to be a popular destination for free agents in the past. Both lack glamour--New Jersey does have a pedigree of success but that team is getting older and one of these years is going to go into a tailspin because it doesn't seem that they're doing much with player development.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Soundwave

I can see the Islanders throwing a big contract at Huselius.

Hossa eliminating the Rangers in OT today I think all but seals Sather making an aggressive pitch for him come July 1st. Jagr/Shanny are likely done and that means Straka probably goes too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
I think Hossa is the viable option, but there's just some doubts about him... I don't know if he can be the top-gun come playoff time and carry the load on his back.
Guess he answered that question today. Hossa in '08-09.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 07:32 PM
mstraka82

Hossa is overrated

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
Hossa is overrated

yeah, he had 8pts in 8gms, jagr had 15 points in 10 games, those are the stats an elite player should get come playoff time

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
mstraka82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
yeah, he had 8pts in 8gms, jagr had 15 points in 10 games, those are the stats an elite player should get come playoff time
are you being sarcastic?, i feel like he is invisible and not that good, he is ok just not great

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote