HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers looking at Rolston and Ryder/Jagr speculation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
  #26
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
I want Malone

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 10:40 AM
  #27
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Not even close...he'll get 3 years at $4MM minimum. Do you realize how good he is?
He's older from the last time he signed a contract at $2.43 million per year. I really don't see him getting much more than that at 35 (and will be 36 half way through the season). $2.5 million with another million or 2 in performance bonuses is not that far off. I'm not gonna argue that he's not worth the money, because he def. is, but his stats have been on the decline over the past 3 seasons (mostly in assists).

Maybe the way the market is he might get $3-4 million per, guess we will see.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:00 AM
  #28
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,070
vCash: 500
if jagr, shanny, and straka all leave, then you HAVE to take a run at Marian Hossa. You arent replacing all the offense these 3 provide with 3 kids, you need someone who can score. Marian Hossa would be the guy...at least to me he would.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM
  #29
RangersFan
Registered User
 
RangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: LA, CA & NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,729
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
salary is more of a concern than age with Rolston. If he can be had for less than $5 mill i would take a look at him. I love his game, and of course that booming shot from the point.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:05 AM
  #30
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I want Malone
You see all the goals coming off of obstruction of the goalie's view, just because an opposing forward is smart enough to park his ass there? I want Malone too, and then gimme the defender who's gonna unleash those point shots

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
Scouting the 2015 NHL Draft and Futures
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:10 AM
  #31
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
if jagr, shanny, and straka all leave, then you HAVE to take a run at Marian Hossa. You arent replacing all the offense these 3 provide with 3 kids, you need someone who can score. Marian Hossa would be the guy...at least to me he would.
I agree. There will be a huge hole created if all 3 leave. It's either make a serious run at Hossa or be forced to make a deal. A Hossa and Rolston/Malone combo should make up for the hole left if all 3 leave and a spot for a kid. The Rangers would lose 62 goals if all three leave. Something def. would need to be done to make up for that gap and Hossa would def. help, a lot.

EDIT: A little off topic but I just realized when I was re-reading my post, AO has more goals then Jagr, Shanny, and Straka combine. Wow, hes nasty hahaha

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:12 AM
  #32
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
I would love to see Rolston in blue - he (and his slapper) would fit perfectly with Gomez.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:16 AM
  #33
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Pass on Rolston. Go for Malone
^^ I agree isn't Malone much younger than Rolston. But if were giving up Jagr i would definitly like to get a better player than rider for him.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:22 AM
  #34
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,466
vCash: 500
Malone is ridiculously overrated on this board. He's a good player and one that I would certainly take on the Rangers, but his numbers are extremely inflated due to playing with Crosby/Malkin. Rolston is much more of a "game-breaker"; he can create offense on his own with his great speed/shot, qualities that you really can't attribute to Malone.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:29 AM
  #35
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
if jagr, shanny, and straka all leave, then you HAVE to take a run at Marian Hossa. You arent replacing all the offense these 3 provide with 3 kids, you need someone who can score. Marian Hossa would be the guy...at least to me he would.
Agree.

If Jagr leaves, its Hossa or bust.

I doubt Jagr is leaving though.

I wouldn't mind Malone either, because we could package him in that deal for Kovalchuk.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:30 AM
  #36
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Malone is ridiculously overrated on this board. He's a good player and one that I would certainly take on the Rangers, but his numbers are extremely inflated due to playing with Crosby/Malkin. Rolston is much more of a "game-breaker"; he can create offense on his own with his great speed/shot, qualities that you really can't attribute to Malone.
Agreed about the overrating on Malone.

Couple 20 goal seasons with a big body and everyone wants to be at their feet begging for him.

Either way, I wouldn't mind either of these players if they are at the right price.

The way it looks is: Shanahan is coming back, while Jagr and Straka will not.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:35 AM
  #37
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Agreed about the overrating on Malone.

Couple 20 goal seasons with a big body and everyone wants to be at their feet begging for him.

Either way, I wouldn't mind either of these players if they are at the right price.

The way it looks is: Shanahan is coming back, while Jagr and Straka will not.
How is that the way it is looking?

Because the media is stirring up drivel?

Jagr never once said he doesn't want to be here. Nor has he ever once said he won't be back next year.

And who said anything about Straka not coming back? I don't recall any quote from management nor Straka him self about not coming back.

If anything Jagr and Straka WILL be back and someone like Hossa will be signed to take Shanahan's place.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:36 AM
  #38
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
if jagr, shanny, and straka all leave, then you HAVE to take a run at Marian Hossa. You arent replacing all the offense these 3 provide with 3 kids, you need someone who can score. Marian Hossa would be the guy...at least to me he would.
Do you really think it's advisable to hand out a 4th 6 mil+ long term contract over the course of a calendar year? Even if the cap increases, going after Hossa is a dangerous move long term, and so is expecting one player to replace three.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
  #39
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
How is that the way it is looking?

Because the media is stirring up drivel?

Jagr never once said he doesn't want to be here. nor has he ever once said he won't be back next year.

And who said anything about Straka not coming back? I don't recall any quote from management nor Straka him self about not coming back.

If anything Jagr and Straka WILL be back and someone like Hossa will be signed to to Shanahan's place.
Well all the signs point to Jagr leaving after this. Yes, Media is the only source. I don't get your point, everyone listens to the majority of the media. The OMSK GM interviews, the Sather reaction, the Jagr reaction. All that makes it look like Jagr will not return, maybe he will, maybe he'll disappear, who knows, that's the media, but it's likely he won't.

Straka has not been approached about re-signing and it's also likely that if Jagr doesn't return, Straka won't.

Shanahan however has mentioned he wants to return.

So there you go, take it or leave it.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  #40
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
No one will pay him 4M till he's 39.

I'd give him 3M for 2 yrs.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:39 AM
  #41
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
How is that the way it is looking?

Because the media is stirring up drivel?

Jagr never once said he doesn't want to be here. Nor has he ever once said he won't be back next year.

And who said anything about Straka not coming back? I don't recall any quote from management nor Straka him self about not coming back.

If anything Jagr and Straka WILL be back and someone like Hossa will be signed to take Shanahan's place.
it all depends on how we do in the playoffs. if we win the cup, i could see all 3 retiring. if we lose in the cup finals, i could see all 3 coming back for one last try, if we lose in the second round, it could be totally different. i think it all has to do with how far we get, and how effective the 3 are. Honestly though, my preference of bringing them back are Straka, then Jagr, then Shanny. Straka, because he is versatile enough to play on any of the 4 lines, never gives you grief, kills penalties, and is a perfect role model for how you want the kids to play. then Jagr because he still is an effective 2nd line player, then shanny for his leadership (hes done as an effective top 2 line player imho. right now hes a penalty killer with a tremendous shot. thats it)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:40 AM
  #42
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Do you really think it's advisable to hand out a 4th 6 mil+ long term contract over the course of a calendar year? Even if the cap increases, going after Hossa is a dangerous move long term, and so is expecting one player to replace three.
its a good point for sure. but the cap seems to be rising every year, and while i dont think gomez or drury are players worth that kind of money, i do think hossa is.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:41 AM
  #43
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary
 
Lundqvist=Vezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My world
Country: United States
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Malone is no better than Avery. I pass big time on him. Would like Rolston on a short contract.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:41 AM
  #44
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
Do you really think it's advisable to hand out a 4th 6 mil+ long term contract over the course of a calendar year? Even if the cap increases, going after Hossa is a dangerous move long term, and so is expecting one player to replace three.
No it is not dangerous.

because you aren't losing any personnel. you are just signing one of the most dangerous offensive players in the game.

The reason it is not dangerous is because you have cheap commodities in Cherepanov, Anisimov, Hillier, Korpikoski, waiting to get their shot and players like Dawes and Dubinsky already with the team.

That is the importance of youth.

And besides that, Mara, Malik, and Shanahan potentially coming off the books.

There is definitely room.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:42 AM
  #45
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,564
vCash: 500
Rolston at 35 seems to still be able to produce. One problem is his having reached that age his salary hit becomes guaranteed the entire term length to whatever team he plays for even if he's playing in the minors. Something to think about anyway.

Malone would be a nice pickup but he's not the kind of guy who is going to carry a line. I don't necessarily even think of him as a legit 1st line player.

As for Marian Hossa--maybe a little soft in the big games. $7-8-9 million for a player who has never won a cup and Hossa's numbers in the playoffs don't compare to his regular seasons. He doesn't strike me as a guy who will carry your team to a cup. Even so he is the grand prize forward with Huselius maybe second. Not a particularly good group. If neither of them sign with us then a trade will probably be in the works.

The Rangers have another option--make that a gamble--if Jagr, Straka, Shanny don't return. Going with what they have now and in the system, maybe trying to grab a Malone or someone else for secondary scoring--leaving plenty of cap room for trades later on at the deadline when other teams might look to dump someone better than will be on the market over the summer. It may mean that guys like Dawes and Callahan will have to pick up their production and that the team will have to play the kind of patient defense first style of game we're seeing now in the playoffs but it also seems to me this approach would get us away from the bidding wars over the summer for second liners posing as first liners and we might get better value in the long run.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
  #46
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Malone is ridiculously overrated on this board. He's a good player and one that I would certainly take on the Rangers, but his numbers are extremely inflated due to playing with Crosby/Malkin. Rolston is much more of a "game-breaker"; he can create offense on his own with his great speed/shot, qualities that you really can't attribute to Malone.

The reason that so many of us like Malone isn't because he's an all world talent, but because he's a player the rangers don't have, and haven't had for a long time. He's an excellent back to the net player with legitimate size. Malone fills a specific team need, that's why he's desired. Now, that doesn't mean i'm looking to run out and hand him 6 million over 7 years, it's all about price. He's a second line player and an integral unit in a number one PP unit. And Malone is a player entering his prime, while Rolston is a player leaving his. If you can get him at a price close to what he's worth (something in the four million range) then you make a serious run. If the bidding starts to run up into the 5-6 million range you back off, because he's not worth that.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
  #47
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
its a good point for sure. but the cap seems to be rising every year, and while i dont think gomez or drury are players worth that kind of money, i do think hossa is.
I don't. I'm just not a fan of him. Frankly, I would love nothing more than to see Kovalchuk find his way into a Ranger uniform once his deal is up.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:52 AM
  #48
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
No it is not dangerous.

because you aren't losing any personnel. you are just signing one of the most dangerous offensive players in the game.

The reason it is not dangerous is because you have cheap commodities in Cherepanov, Anisimov, Hillier, Korpikoski, waiting to get their shot and players like Dawes and Dubinsky already with the team.

That is the importance of youth.

And besides that, Mara, Malik, and Shanahan potentially coming off the books.

There is definitely room.
That youth is the reason it is dangerous. You would be completely right if these contracts lasted 3-4 years, but they don't. We're talking about 5-7 (possibly more for Hossa) year contracts. Eventually you're going to have to pay those young players, and it would be a shame to lose some of them because we squeezed ourselves now.

I know everyone likes to say that the cap will expand forever. In the short term there is probably little danger of the cap falling or even faiing to expand. But, I have misgivings about the potential for this trend to continue long term. The league is doing well, but it's doing well in areas that it is already strong: attendance and merchandise sales. TV ratings, while marginally improved over last year, are dreadful. The league is profiting off it's core fanbase, but it's not opening up new streams of revenue. Eventually there comes a point where you can't keep setting attendance records (without building a swath of new arenas) and there becomes point where continually increasing ticket prices will cause the bell curve to dip the other way (especially with the economy heading in the wrong direction.)

Now this doesn't mean that the rangers should be active in the UFA market, but continuing to hand out large, long term contracts is not a prudent move in my opinion.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:52 AM
  #49
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
Well all the signs point to Jagr leaving after this. Yes, Media is the only source. I don't get your point, everyone listens to the majority of the media. The OMSK GM interviews, the Sather reaction, the Jagr reaction. All that makes it look like Jagr will not return, maybe he will, maybe he'll disappear, who knows, that's the media, but it's likely he won't.

Straka has not been approached about re-signing and it's also likely that if Jagr doesn't return, Straka won't.

Shanahan however has mentioned he wants to return.

So there you go, take it or leave it.
Omsk GM only said they spoke.

And Sather said he would be angry if they made an agreement.

But no where was it stated that they did. Or that they will.

OK so Shanahan said he wants to return...

And in EVERY interview with Jagr he states he wants to be a Ranger next year.


And even if Jagr left. 35 year old Rolston would NOT be a viable replacement.

I could care less if Jagr will turn 37, he is still a more dangerous player than Rolston could ever dream to be.

You don't replace Jagr with Rolston. OR Malone.

Hossa would be the only acceptable replacement right now.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 12:21 PM
  #50
levski87
Registered User
 
levski87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 3,980
vCash: 500
I think we stick it out for another year and wait for better UFA's, or wait until Prucha's and some other players value goes up and make a good trade..

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.