HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Belak

Old
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Joey Hoser

vCash: 500
Belak

How'd you guys like him? I'm a Leaf fan and he was well liked for his off-ice stuff and generally being a really funny guy around here. Did he even play? Get in any fights?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 12:07 AM
VirtualSpree

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vumMFexpz4o -- Boulton is terrified by Belak
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yuH0hZ5CQX0 -- Laraque vs Belak

We won both games he fought in. Conclusion: He needs to fight more.

But yeah, he's awesome and we hope we can resign him for next year. He mentioned he loves it here and wants to stay so I doubt that will be a problem.

VirtualSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 01:43 AM
Hasek39

I would like to see him resigned for next season. I think he brought a much needed physical presence that the panthers have been lacking.

Hasek39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 01:47 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

He didn't do much of anything. Had a couple fights, but his role was diminished after the first period.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:00 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
He didn't do much of anything. Had a couple fights, but his role was diminished after the first period.
He didn't do to much after the first since he was on the bench, unfortunately, but his presence was still felt out there. He still had a few shifts and threw his body around, but he didn't play too much after the 1st period. Didn't seem like Martin knew how to use him. He's a good fighter and a great team guy, we need to re-sign him. They said he's helped keep the room a bit more loose, and he's definitely allowed the guys to play taller out there.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:13 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He didn't do to much after the first since he was on the bench, unfortunately, but his presence was still felt out there. He still had a few shifts and threw his body around, but he didn't play too much after the 1st period. Didn't seem like Martin knew how to use him. He's a good fighter and a great team guy, we need to re-sign him. They said he's helped keep the room a bit more loose, and he's definitely allowed the guys to play taller out there.
I agree with everything you've said, but most especially with the bolded parts.

I can only hope that JM recognizes the value of a player like Wade and resigns him this offseason. Given that Cohen wants an enforcer on next year's team, I think it would behoove JM to make a serious offer and avoid the impending death knell of Cohen's wrath.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 05:33 PM
sinDer

He keeps the bench warm

I guess guys appreciate it

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
He keeps the bench warm

Warm bench >>>>>> Cold bench.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 05:55 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Florida was 10-5-2 with him in the lineup.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 06:09 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Florida was 10-5-2 with him in the lineup.
Yea that was all Belak.... It had alot more to do with team starting to get healthy, such as Weiss. Belak would take a couple shifts in the first trying to start a fight, then sit on the bench the rest of the game. Wasn't the team 3-1 with Welch in the lineup too? Must have been because of him.

Old
04-12-2008, 07:10 PM
pantherhockey

They have to resign him. We the fans, and ownership know that his physical presence is needed, on the bench and on the ice. Other teams look a lot less liberties knowing that the price would most likely be a nasty beating.
I'd offer him 2 years, he won't cost much and is a total no brainer I think.

pantherhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmanfu View Post
I agree with everything you've said, but most especially with the bolded parts.

I can only hope that JM recognizes the value of a player like Wade and resigns him this offseason. Given that Cohen wants an enforcer on next year's team, I think it would behoove JM to make a serious offer and avoid the impending death knell of Cohen's wrath.
He gave up a 5th rounder for him. He is definitely going to resign him, if that's what Wade wants, and he has said as much, so it would seem like it's going to be done.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
He keeps the bench warm

Yeah, that was all he did. Thanks for the great post!

Quote:
Yea that was all Belak.... It had alot more to do with team starting to get healthy, such as Weiss. Belak would take a couple shifts in the first trying to start a fight, then sit on the bench the rest of the game. Wasn't the team 3-1 with Welch in the lineup too? Must have been because of him.
Team got healt, and they payed taller. It was very clear they didn't worry about being run over and pushed around as much.

Old
04-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
I must say that watching Belak play is pretty funny. He's just not good. No other way to put it. Sadly, my girlfriend who is a hockey amateur even notices that and gets a kick out of him on the ice.

However, how many enforcers CAN play? I'm not worried, but I still think he should receive limited time and resigning him should be a no brainer.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
VirtualSpree

Good thing he's not here to play. He's here to throw down, and that's something he is good at.

Old
04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I must say that watching Belak play is pretty funny. He's just not good. No other way to put it. Sadly, my girlfriend who is a hockey amateur even notices that and gets a kick out of him on the ice.

However, how many enforcers CAN play? I'm not worried, but I still think he should receive limited time and resigning him should be a no brainer.
He's still A LOT better than most of the enforcers out there. If you think Belak is bad, you haven't seen anything yet.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:55 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Team got healt, and they payed taller. It was very clear they didn't worry about being run over and pushed around as much.
This could help explain why the early season version of a healthy Panther team was less successful than the late season version of a healthy Panther team.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2008, 09:58 PM
VirtualSpree

Early season healthy Panthers team didn't have the booth weiss horton line though

Old
04-13-2008, 12:22 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

They go on late season runs every year. Occam's razor suggests that its most likely that the core simply plays better at the end of the year.

Old
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Yea that was all Belak.... It had alot more to do with team starting to get healthy, such as Weiss. Belak would take a couple shifts in the first trying to start a fight, then sit on the bench the rest of the game.
Clearly it wasn't ALL him, but to suggest that his impact is nothing more than the 4-5 minutes he plays is pretty shortsighted.

Quote:
No question about it.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Acadmus

We were spoiled by Paul Laus, so it's no wonder opinions of Belak are fairly low amongst some people. But Laus was one of the best enforcers there was - one of the three best fighters in the league, perhaps the most fearless, always knew just when to fight to not hurt the team, and was a competent defenseman and even somewhat competent right wing when he was shifted up to forward. You're just not likely to find that caliber of enforcer very often.

The team went from cold to hot within a couple of games of Belak's acquisition - the impact in terms of teams giving a little more respect to Panthers players was palpable. I'd say he brings enough to the team to keep him here.

04-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
We were spoiled by Paul Laus, so it's no wonder opinions of Belak are fairly low amongst some people. But Laus was one of the best enforcers there was - one of the three best fighters in the league, perhaps the most fearless, always knew just when to fight to not hurt the team, and was a competent defenseman and even somewhat competent right wing when he was shifted up to forward. You're just not likely to find that caliber of enforcer very often.

The team went from cold to hot within a couple of games of Belak's acquisition - the impact in terms of teams giving a little more respect to Panthers players was palpable. I'd say he brings enough to the team to keep him here.
You can say that again. I'm obviously very glad to have Wade, but he's not Laus. Belak lets the fight come to him for the most part. Paul wouldn't allow someone to say or touch really anyone without making sure they knew he was on the ice.

Like you said, Paul is rare.

Old
04-13-2008, 10:12 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Belak wasnt on the ice for 20 minutes a game, but he did make his presence shown. Having someone like that shows the other team that you cant just bully us around anymore. I think its more of a mental thing for our team as well, knowing that they have him here. Its little things mentally that can change the aspect of the game. Its funny, they are just talking about that on Versus, how the game is so much mentally.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Pukboy5kroner

After we aquired Belak, I noticed we weren't being dominated by other teams 3rd and 4th lines so much. We didn't see Tarnasky, Roy and Gratton or Laraque, Taffe, and Ruttu take over any games like they did earlier in the season.

Before we got Belak, those tougher lines would just dominate at least a few shifts a game.

Hopefully he gets resigned.

Last edited by Pukboy5kroner: 04-15-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote