HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

North Division Semifinal: Syracuse (N2) vs Manitoba (N3)

Old
04-13-2008, 09:10 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

vCash: 500
North Division Semifinal: Syracuse (N2) vs Manitoba (N3)

N2-Syracuse Crunch vs. N3-Manitoba Moose

Crunch win the series 4-2.

Last edited by Majik1987: 04-28-2008 at 09:19 PM.
ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

MANITOBA MOOSE v
SYRACUSE CRUNCH

Schedule
  • Game 1 Fri., Apr. 18 Manitoba at Syracuse, 6:30
    Game 2 Sat., Apr. 19 Manitoba at Syracuse, 6:30
    Game 3 Tue., Apr. 22 Syracuse at Manitoba, 7:30
    Game 4 Fri., Apr. 25 Syracuse at Manitoba, 7:30
    *Game 5 Sat., Apr. 26 Syracuse at Manitoba, 7:30
    *Game 6 Mon., Apr. 28 Manitoba at Syracuse, 6:00
    *Game 7 Tue., Apr. 29 Manitoba at Syracuse, 6:00
Links
Random facts, stats, and opinions
  • The Crunch edged the Moose for 2nd place, 100 points to 99. The Crunch closed very well, going 20-0-3 for 43 points in 23 games. Any way you slice it, these are two of the hottest teams in the entire league.

Neither team is bothered by the NHL playoffs since the Canucks and Blue Jackets are gonzo.

The Moose beat the Crunch two years ago. During the series, Vigneault (Moose former coach) called Agnew (Crunch former coach) "soft as Kleenex". The Crunch were 2nd, the Moose were 3rd, and the Moose won in 6.

The winner of the series will face either the Toronto Marlies or the San Antonio Rampage, crossing over from the west division. Neither of those teams have to worry about the NHL playoffs, either.

I like the fact that games 5 and 6 are back-to-back on Friday and Saturday nights. I'll likely be getting tickets for both games.

Syracuse is also home to the AAA Syracuse Chiefs. [LINK] They are the affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing of significance there. Really. [LINK]

The Vancouver Canucks' affiliate used to be in Syracuse. While there they always had a Canuck guy like Stan Smyl around. So I guess they had to move.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

everyone of the columbus forum is sporting crunch avi's and pulling for them boys

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Fair Warning

Go Crunch, Go!!

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Wall of Wonder

Send a message via MSN to Wall of Wonder
Go Moose, Go!!

Wall of Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 08:21 AM
BlueBomber

Go Moose!!!111111 Maybe I should go to one of these games...

BlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 06:32 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBomber View Post
Go Moose!!!111111 Maybe I should go to one of these games...
You should. Go out and support the Moose but be warned. There might be some idiots from JetsOwner.com waving banners of "go jets go" and "bring back the jets" in the stands.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 10:35 PM
hexrae

2-1 OT win. Game 1 goes to Syracuse.

Can't wait, I got me some tix for games 3 and 5.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

April 18, 2008

MANITOBA MOOSE 1
SYRACUSE CRUNCH 2
(ot)
Syracuse leads series 1-0.

Links:

[CLICK HERE FOR HIGHLIGHTS]

[AHL official stats page]

[RECAP PAGE] - MooseHockey.com's story and summary page, with photos.

[Crunch time in OT] - Ken Wiebe has this blurb:
Quote:
Late in the first period, Arniel was incensed when Lindstrom crashed into goalie Cory Schneider after Schneider had stopped Crunch captain Zenon Konopka on a clear-cut breakaway.

Schneider fell to the ice, but he got up and showed no ill effects the rest of the way.

"I didn't see what happened on that one," said Schneider. "All I know is that I made the save and I got an elbow to the head. The ref said he didn't see it."
[Fickle fate fells Moose] - Gary Lawless included this summary in his story:
Quote:
Syracuse closed the regular season with 15 straight wins and came into the series known as a bully capable of backing up its mouth with both fists and game. They lived on the edge Friday night and came out the winner but were unable to intimidate the Moose as they had hoped and talked about.

Often it takes a couple of games to get the hate flowing in a playoff series but the blood was up and boiling at the point of lift off.

From some amusing pre-game Crunch antics to slashing and whacking before the opening faceoff, this series opened with gusto and it'll be machismo to the max until the final buzzer. Finishing checks and going the extra step was the rule rather than the exception and both clubs attempted to outdo the other in the physicality department.
Next up:

Game 2: Saturday April 19th 6:30pm CDT at Syracuse
Game 3: Tuesday April 22nd 7:30pm CDT at MTS Centre
Game 4: Friday April 25th 7:30pm CDT at MTS Centre
Game 5: Saturday April 26th 7:30pm CDT at MTS Centre

[LISTEN HERE ~ CJOB] <> [WATCH HERE ~ B2 LINK]

Old
04-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

April 19, 2008

MANITOBA MOOSE 3
SYRACUSE CRUNCH 2
(ot)
Series tied 1-1.

Mike Brown scored the winner in OT to allow the Moose to escape Syracuse tied at 1-1, both sides registering an overtime victory. Whilst the regulation time was fairly evenly played, the overtime was all Moose as they outshot the Crunch 9-3 and seemed to be on the verge of a goal throughout.

The Moose held period leads of 1-0 and 2-0, on the strength of goals by Grabner and Groulx. (BTW, if Grabner can put it all together with positional play and a scoring touch he could be a big playoff surprise. And don't forget Groulx's performance for Hamilton in last year's playoffs.)

Schneider was injured on a save in the 3rd period and was pulled whilst working on a shut-out. D-Mac had little chance to find his flow as the Crunch scored on a PP.

Of note, Sharrow was in tonight's line-up and Simek (who scored in game 1) was out. So that left the Moose with 7 d-men. Labrie never dressed, nor did Jaffray (who may be ready to return on Tuesday).

Links:

[CALDER CUP HIGHLIGHTS PAGE] - If those aren't working then there is always Dave's Unofficial Syracuse Crunch page [HERE], as cited by Moose Board Matt.

[AHL Official Gamesheet]

[SYRACUSE STORY] - SyracuseCrunch.com's story page.

Next up:

Game 3: Tuesday April 22nd 7:30pm CDT at MTS Centre
Game 4: Friday April 25th 7:30pm CDT at MTS Centre

Last edited by Hollywood3: 04-20-2008 at 12:44 AM.
Old
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
tRaDiNgYo

Go Moose Go!

tRaDiNgYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Links:

[Patience paying off] - Ken Wiebe story on Nathan McIver.

[Arniel cooks up a winner] - Ken Wiebe story on using Sharrow for Simek, which resulted in Fitzgerald getting time as a forward instead of on defence.

[Crunch try to pick fights, Moose look to pick spots] - Ken Wiebe story on the propensity of the Crunch to incite with pre-game trash-talk. Here's a blurb:
Quote:
... In each of the first two games, Crunch captain Zenon Konopka and enforcer Jon Mirasty lined up at centre ice near the end of the warm-up and exchanged pleasantries with whoever was nearby.

Konopka later had words for Moose head coach Scott Arniel and assistant Brad Berry.

Syracuse is known for trying to intimidate opponents and there have been numerous occasions when Crunch players tried to get things going with an offer to fight.

Even before Game 1 began, Crunch forward Alexandre Picard was jawing with Alexandre Bolduc.

"I guess he wanted to try to get the crowd into it off the bat and I didn't want to do that," said Bolduc. ...
[Who's been hot and who has not] - This story uploaded onto the Moose site lists the "performers" and "spectators" for each side through two games.

[Moose are faring well with tough Crunch test] - Gary Lawless had this blurb:
Quote:
... Syracuse has made no bones about their desire to use not only physical play but fighting as a means to their end. Crunch coach Ross Yates said prior to the series that his club had played that way all season and would not change their strategy at this point. While the Crunch begged for satisfaction in the first two games of the series, the Moose would not engage.

"For me a big part of playoff hockey is dictating how you want to play the game and not letting the other club play their game," offered Arniel. "If they have a 50-goal scorer, you don't want to let him have 10 or 12 chances a game. The same goes with a so-called tough guy. You don't want to let him get his team and his crowd into the game by fighting him. You have to play those chess matches."

Arniel said his club may not have gotten involved in any after-whistle skirmishes but were still deep in the battle.

"We've been telling our team all season, not just in this series with Syracuse, to play whistle to whistle," said Arniel. "We play hard and hit and apply pressure but when the whistle goes, it's over."

There's no question there's plenty of bad feelings in this series. Syracuse captain Zenon Konopka had words with the Moose coaching staff following Saturday's game as they crossed the ice to the visitors' dressing room.

Konopka has also been involved in some pre-game antics, hanging around the red line during warm-up and barking at a number of Moose, in particular goalie Cory Schneider.

Moose defenceman Zack FitzGerald took up the cause and was talking smack with both Konopka and Crunch thug Jon Mirasty. ...
[Moose crack Crunch] - This is Gary Lawless' game story on game 2. With photos:

Old
04-22-2008, 07:50 AM
BlueBomber

Going to the game tonight.

Old
04-23-2008, 09:35 AM
BlueBomber

Aw friggen Moose. Outshot the Crunch but lost in OT. The tying goal by Syracuse was crap!

Old
04-26-2008, 12:13 AM
tRaDiNgYo

Moose win!
Series tied 2-2. Grabner with 3 goals in 4 games.

tRaDiNgYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 12:42 AM
leo2892

Carey Price ('07 AHL Playoffs)

GAA: 2.06
Save %: .936

Schneider ('08 AHL Playoffs)

GAA: 1.53
Save %: .950

Kick-ass.

Grabner is outperforming Brule and Brassard too. 3 goals in 4 games - one off a breakaway and two garbage goals. B*tch please.

leo2892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

April 25, 2008

MANITOBA MOOSE 5
SYRACUSE CRUNCH 2

Series tied 2-2.

Links:

[CLICK HERE FOR AHL HIGHLIGHTS]

Official Hollywood Observations:

1. Syracuse has major issues with cheap play. I have not seen a similar team since I started watching the AHL. Fact is, they also have very little commitment to REAL physical play. The Moose could basically skate wherever they wanted in the Crunch zone and their only fear of contact was from stick-work.

2. Alexandre Picard is a bonehead. He always gives sissy-pushes to guys behind the play. One time he did that to a couple of guys and was last seen hunched over skating gingerly to his bench.

3. Clay Wilson's footwork reminds me of Jonathon Aitken. He was victimized badly on one goal.

4. Gilbert Brule was a -2 and was in the box for at least one PP goal. Good work.

5. The Moose lined up like this:
  • Goal:
    Schneider (backup MacIntyre)

Defense:
    Groulx - Baumgartner
    Bourdon - Heshka
    McIver - Fortunas

Forwards:
    Jaffray - Moran - Hansen
    Grabner - Classen - Rypien
    Bolduc - Genoway - Keane
    Brown - played lots on PK and filling in when lines shuffled for PP
    Labrie - I saw him twice
    Smith - I never saw him but he did have a shot on goal

Scratches:
    G: Toews
    D: Ramsey, Rahimi, FitzGerald, Sharrow, Ganzak
    F: Simek, Durand, Rallo, Derlago
6. The crowd was fairly intense. I have not seen that sort of reaction in an early round.

7. Tom Sestito is one ugly hockey player. I would like to see him tossed for a game for his match penalty. However, on the other hand he is such a liability for the Crunch I would like to see him on the ice. I am torn.

8. They need a better way to display out-of-town scores. If you sit behind the goal you can't see the scores. Time to put them on the sides!

9. The Timbits game was really good. They had fewer kids out there and they had room to move. Great breakaways and even some great saves.

10. I bet Dancin Gabe could beat at least half the Crunch on an IQ test.

Next up:

Game 6: Monday April 28th 6:00pm CDT at Syracuse
Game 7: Tuesday April 29th 6:00pm CDT at Syracuse (if necessary)

[GAME 5 PREVIEW]

Last edited by Hollywood3: 04-28-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Old
04-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
GO CRUNCH!!

and lmfao @ Sestito being a liability. hilarity at it's finest

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

April 26, 2008

MANITOBA MOOSE 2
SYRACUSE CRUNCH 3
(OT)
Syracuse leads series 3-2.

Links:

[CLICK HERE FOR AHL HIGHLIGHTS]

[SYRACUSE STORY] - SyracuseCrunch.com's story page.

Official Hollywood Observations:

1. I got to sit in the front row which always makes for excitement. Nothing better than a big collision into the glass right in front of you.

2. The Sestito suspension did wonders for the Crunch. First, they never had to worry about guys skating around him all night. Second, they were much better at concentrating on hockey.

3. The crowd was pretty good (7600) but smaller than on Friday night. Hard to figure out why Friday nights seem so much more popular than Saturdays. Same thing for the Goldeyes' playoffs.

4. Gilbert Brule was diving badly after last night's brutal performance. He once drew a penalty on a dive so bad that when the replay was shown on the screen I thought the fans would stick the ref's face into the replay. Don't be surprised to see him tagged for diving in game 6 or 7.

5. The Moose lined up like this:
  • Goal:
    Schneider (backup MacIntyre)

Defense:
    Groulx - Baumgartner
    Bourdon - Heshka
    McIver - Fortunas

Forwards:
    Jaffray - Moran - Hansen
    Grabner - Classen - Rypien
    Bolduc - Genoway - Keane
    Brown - Smith - Labrie

Scratches:
    G: Toews
    D: Ramsey, Rahimi, FitzGerald, Sharrow, Ganzak
    F: Simek, Durand, Rallo, Derlago

On paper, it was the same line-up as on Friday. However, the Brown line had more ice time and was effective. Brown also picked up extra shifts.
6. Mike Brown destroyed Derek Dorsett in a 1st period fight. Dorsett was trying to interfere with him leaving the ice for a line change. Oddly, Dorsett didn't have anything better to do. He later cost his team a PP and got a talking-to from his captain, Zenon Konopka.

7. Jannik Hansen is effective with the puck, Jaffray is playing girtty, but Moran's passes seem to be missing.

8. Mike Keane is really valuable out there. Lots of Crunch players, especially the younger ones, hated fighting him for the puck.

9. The Crunch lined up like this:
  • Goal:
    Goehring (backup Munro)

Defense:
    Methot - Westcott
    Smith - Wilson
    Cullen - Plekhanov
    Motherwell

Forwards:
    Lindstrom - Konopka - Brule
    DiCasmirro - MacKenzie - Brassard
    Picard - Frischman - Dorsett
    Legein - hardly played
    Rycroft - hardly played

On the Friday post-game show the Syracuse broadcaster guessed that if Sestito was suspended they might go with Jon Mirasty. They chose to avoid him. To me, this indicates that they have no intention of trying to fight their way to a series win.
10. Three overtime losses for the Moose must be disheartening. However, over two games it is apparent to me that when they sit back and try to defend they give up a lot of shots and eventually a goal. That happened after they scored both times Saturday night. The Moose would be wise to abandon tight D in favour of a faster pace for games 6 and 7. The Crunch have used a very short bench and with 4 games in 5 nights they could be susceptible to pressure as the series wears on.

Next up:

Game 6: Monday April 28th 6:00pm CDT at Syracuse
Game 7: Tuesday April 29th 6:00pm CDT at Syracuse (if necessary)

[LISTEN HERE ~ CJOB] <> [WATCH HERE ~ B2 LINK] <> also on MTS-TV

Old
04-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

... more media links ...

[Extra time unkind] - Ken Wiebe's game story.

[Syracuse cries foul] - Wiebe's story on the Syracuse reaction to the Sestito suspension.

[Cavemen come through] - Paul Friesen's game story.

[ Moose chopped down in OT] - Tim Campbell's game story.

[Syracuse takes 3-2 series lead with overtime victory over Manitoba] - Canadian Press story, with a link to the Slam! site.

Old
04-28-2008, 08:59 AM
bizzz*

LOL @ Mike Brown destroyed Dorsett. Those observations are making my mornings.
Crunch=divers (Brule), bad skaters (Wilson), liability (Sestito), low IQ (half of the team), cheap shot artists (the whole team)....
Moose=all around classy team...
The series> 3:2 Crunch... RLMFAO ... Can you say "biased homer"?

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3;13895578[img
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b138/hollywoodin2001/TV%20logos/Sun-25pxh.gif[/img] [Syracuse cries foul] - Wiebe's story on the Syracuse reaction to the Sestito suspension.
Although I have not seen the play to make my own determination, I can sympathize with the Crunch because of these three little words...... referee Kyle Rehman

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
sinbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizoncol View Post
LOL @ Mike Brown destroyed Dorsett. Those observations are making my mornings.
Crunch=divers (Brule), bad skaters (Wilson), liability (Sestito), low IQ (half of the team), cheap shot artists (the whole team)....
Moose=all around classy team...
The series> 3:2 Crunch... RLMFAO ... Can you say "biased homer"?
The only thing that can save Manitoba tonight is the referee. If Terry Koharski or Chris Brown are on the ice the Moose will win.

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Tonight's referee and linesmen...

Terry Koharski (10), Referee
Dan Murphy (21), Linesman
Brian Lemon (25), Linesman

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
anteater90

Syracuse 4 - Manitoba 3 in OT of course.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote