HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch All-Star Exposure

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 08:54 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
Garrioch All-Star Exposure

The all-star weekend is a great chance for the all-stars of hockey trade talk to shine. During the weekend, the GMs all get together totally primed for trading, having held lengthy meetings beforehand with their key scouts and development personnel to assess both their situation and scouting reports on potential trade targets. It’s like sailors long at sea returning to New Orleans right at Mardi Gras time – there’ll be way more pancake action than just Janet Jackson flashing from a balcony.

Some deals are made before the all-star game takes place, but the league hates for anything to take away the focus from this wonderful spectacle of meaningless no-contact hockey. The NHL was furious a few years back when news of the Crawford hiring took attention away from “the game”. So the league wants all trades and hirings to be announced only post-coitus of all the scoring.

Thus that leaves a whole set of deals ready to go down, and our hockey trade talk all-stars like Garrioch and Brooks ready to tell us what will not happen. So let’s see what Garrioch tries to expose on this all-star weekend:

Quote:
The Flyers and Coyotes completed a deal late last night that will see Phoenix send G Sean Burke to Philadelphia for C Mike Comrie. The trade will be officially announced tomorrow. Comrie was acquired from Edmonton earlier this season by the Flyers. The Rangers had offered C Jamie Lundmark to Phoenix in exchange for Burke.
ESPN broke this, so Garrioch is not adding anything here.
Quote:
Okay, here's the asking price for Edmonton tough guy Georges Laraque: A No. 1 draft pick. Now you know why he's not wearing a Senators uniform yet.
Lowe has set too high a price, then he’ll wait too long and get not enough in return. Mucks is a motivated buyer right now, thanks to the friendly Leafs, so K’Lo better start rapping.
Quote:
There's talk the Thrashers are interested in Chicago C Alexei Zhamnov to help get them into the playoffs. The word is Atlanta would give up C Patrik Stefan to acquire Zhamnov. A more likely scenario: Vancouver's offer of F Jason King, G Alex Auld and C Artem Chubarov to the 'Hawks for Zhamnov. However, sources say Chicago GM Bob Pulford decided that wasn't enough, so he also demanded W Jarkko Ruutu as part of the package. The Canucks aren't prepared to make that move for a player who will be an unrestricted free agent.
”The word is” this has all been said before – tell us something new!
Quote:
Expect to see rugged Carolina D Bob Boughner on the move. Several teams have called the 'Canes -- including Ottawa -- about Boughner because of his playoff experience. Two teams that have shown a lot of interest are Dallas and Colorado.
Tell us something that is not obvious!
Quote:
While Washington owner Ted Leonsis isn't thrilled with the idea of moving W Peter Bondra, Bondra's name continues to pop up everywhere. Leonsis will be consulted before a deal is finalized. Sources say St. Louis is making a hard pitch for Bondra, along with Carolina C Jeff O'Neill. The Blues will likely get one or the other.
Here is a breaking news item from Garrioch: the owner of a team, and one of the most hands-on owners in the league “will be consulted before a deal is finalized”. Perhaps Garrioch will explain this as a “wording malfunction.”
Quote:
The Panthers are prepared to make a pitch for Edmonton D Jason Smith. The Leafs and Rangers are interested as well.
I don’t think the Panthers need a playoff rental, since they are not off to the playoffs. The Rangers need anything to keep Sather’s job by making the playoff. The Leafs need D, so will trade for forwards.
Quote:
The word out of Montreal is the Habs might make a pitch to the Oilers for W Ryan Smyth. The asking price will be high.
Quebec would like to note the “word out of Montreal” is French, and it is not wearing a visor. Oops, there should have a seven second delay on that sentence. Yet another difference between Canada and the US – Americans get caught up by the Janet Jackson fallout, while Canadians get worked up by the wisdom of Don Cherry. The NHL all-star game will have the Canadian Barenaked Ladies: fully clothed guys just singing. The only solution in my mind for all this: send shock jock Don Cherry to the States, and bring the outgoing Janet Jackson up here to bare her soul.
Quote:
The Kings have called the Caps to see if they're interested in moving recently acquired W Anson Carter. For the moment, he's staying in Washington.
Sadly for the Kings there is a long queue of trades the Washingon GM needs to make before the get Carter movie can happen.
Quote:
The Sabres want to move G Martin Biron. Do you think Muckler has any interest? The Senators GM drafted Biron during his tenure in Buffalo. Biron could end up with the Rangers if they don't get Burke.
No interest from Mucks. Also no interest from me in what I think is one of Garrioch’s worse columns of the season.

Just like the all-star game – far more sizzle than steak. Even worse, it’s back to just donuts next week.

Have a real all-star Sunday.

Last edited by officeglen: 02-08-2004 at 08:57 AM.
Old
02-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Bohologo

All-Star work again from officeglen but I gotta blow the whistle on characterizing Jason Smith as a "playoff rental". Smith is a RFA at the end of the year, not an UFA, as many disinformation sowers would have these boards believe. So he's more than a rental, maybe a medium term occupancy.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:32 AM
officeglen

I'm aware of the Smith's status and also painfully aware of the status of the CBA talks - so trading for Smith can be just a playoff rental since by the time the league resumes play in 2008 Smith will be a UFA or long retired.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
I'm aware of the Smith's status and also painfully aware of the status of the CBA talks - so trading for Smith can be just a playoff rental since by the time the league resumes play in 2008 Smith will be a UFA or long retired.
That's a real possibility, but Lowe thinks he's got five years of playing hockey left in him, and who's saying he can't be signed through that duration? Maybe there will be a new CBA for next fall, and maybe an asteroid will strike the earth-there are innumerable permutations, but it's a stretch to present UFA status as fait accompli.

Old
02-08-2004, 09:40 AM
speeds

Quote:
smith will almost certainly at lest go to arbitration this summer, in which cse he would be signed for at least one more season. That only means something if that contract is enforced in a post-CBA world. Not sure what happened last time in 94 for guys with years left on their contract, they probably just agreed to pro-rate all deals to 48 games, right?

Old
02-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I love this so much, I'm gonna sticky it until the next Officeglen Specia.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:23 AM
musdy

mike comrie for sean burke

Old
02-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Lowe has set too high a price, then he’ll wait too long and get not enough in return. Mucks is a motivated buyer right now, thanks to the friendly Leafs, so K’Lo better start rapping
If true, I like it. I think it's the right price. I don't think Lowe is shopping Laraque, so if a team wants him badly enough, they'll have to pay up. Although I'd still be surprised to see Lowe get a 1st if he does end up trading Laraque.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:00 AM
degroat*

Glen, I know it makes you feel better about yourself to do this with everything Garroich writes, but perhaps you should recognize that his audience consists of a lot more than those of us that are probably a little too obsessive about our hockey. His job is to inform and in all likelihood the great majority of what you claim is old news isn't known by his readers. Hell, I didn't even know Atlanta was interested in Zhamnov.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:28 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
His job is to inform and in all likelihood the great majority of what you claim is old news isn't known by his readers.
Your first mistake is taking what Garrioch says to be true.

In time you'll learn.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:49 AM
officeglen

Quote:
... Hell, I didn't even know Atlanta was interested in Zhamnov.

See: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=46688
Garrioch two weeks ago - regular Sunday column audience ->
Quote:
Atlanta is expected to make a pitch for Chicago C Alexei Zhamnov.
Sorry you missed it, but not to worry, I go into reruns after the trade deadline

Quote:
Glen, I know it makes you feel better about yourself to do this...
You think I do this as some self-esteem/sense of worth exercise? Maybe before you assign my personal motivation you might learn more about me first.

Old
02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Entertaining as usual, glen!

Habs making a run at Ryan Smyth? I can hardly wait to see what kind of proposals this is going to generate...

Old
02-08-2004, 12:27 PM
RE-HABS

Is it just me or does Garrioch get most of his trade rumors and info from these boards?

Almost everything he talks about has been posted on these boards by us as proposals or rumors from elsewhere.

We should all be on his payroll.

Old
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Verbal Kint*

Great job once again Glen!

Old
02-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Reign Nateo

Bob MacKenzie stated that the Canucks wouldn't offer Jason King and a 2nd for Zhamnov, and its been stated that the Canucks have yet to make an offer at all. I think I know who I'll listen to on this one.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:09 PM
justdanickoftime*

the allstar that will be traded most likey will be robert lang, and the caps will get a bounty for him

Old
02-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Quebec would like to note the “word out of Montreal” is French, and it is not wearing a visor. Oops, there should have a seven second delay on that sentence. Yet another difference between Canada and the US – Americans get caught up by the Janet Jackson fallout, while Canadians get worked up by the wisdom of Don Cherry. The NHL all-star game will have the Canadian Barenaked Ladies: fully clothed guys just singing. The only solution in my mind for all this: send shock jock Don Cherry to the States, and bring the outgoing Janet Jackson up here to bare her soul.
wtf is it supposed to be funny ?

Old
02-08-2004, 01:29 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Certainly not! It's part of my doctoral dissertation into the hysteria and dementia caused by schizophrenia in sports fans. Please feel free to assist.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:29 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
haha i thought the same thing it just sounded sad, he should stick to his day job.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Glen, I know it makes you feel better about yourself to do this with everything Garroich writes, but perhaps you should recognize that his audience consists of a lot more than those of us that are probably a little too obsessive about our hockey. His job is to inform and in all likelihood the great majority of what you claim is old news isn't known by his readers. Hell, I didn't even know Atlanta was interested in Zhamnov.

Degroat, must you turn everything into a personal attack? Here is a very thoughtful informed poster who happens to have a great sense of humor. We all enjoy reading his posts. Why do you have to ruin the thread for the rest of us?

C'mon, dude. Lighten up and have a little fun.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
The only solution in my mind for all this: send shock jock Don Cherry to the States, and bring the outgoing Janet Jackson up here to bare her soul.
Tell you what, we'll give you Janet for free, no need to send us Mr. Cherry.

Nice job as always glen!

Old
02-08-2004, 02:12 PM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
haha i thought the same thing it just sounded sad, he should stick to his day job.
Disappointedly, I have had to stick to my sad hat day job, as my foolish attempts to produce a 'sex in the city' type reaction (newspaper column, books, tv shows, dvds, perfume brand, super model wife, hanging out with Bono etc.) to a review of hockey trade talk have failed utterly, so that gross income before major expenses totals zero cents, matching my own personal zero sense in doing this. However, as your 'ha ha' indicates, even when my own meagre attempts fall far short of funny land for you, some laughter can still be had at my expense.

Old
02-08-2004, 02:40 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
I'm pretty surprised that the Wild's name hasn't popped up.

Old
02-08-2004, 03:08 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Disappointedly, I have had to stick to my sad hat day job, as my foolish attempts to produce a 'sex in the city' type reaction (newspaper column, books, tv shows, dvds, perfume brand, super model wife, hanging out with Bono etc.) to a review of hockey trade talk have failed utterly, so that gross income before major expenses totals zero cents, matching my own personal zero sense in doing this. However, as your 'ha ha' indicates, even when my own meagre attempts fall far short of funny land for you, some laughter can still be had at my expense.
i didnt mean anything just i didnt get the humour but i do thank you for this informative thread, you are a cool cat for displaying it, but lets try to keep the humour to a minimal.

Old
02-08-2004, 03:18 PM
officeglen

To help out, subsequent columns will contain the warning: “may contain the by-product of nuts”.

Closed Thread