HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If/when Bergeron comes back..

Old
04-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You got it, a twofer.
I'm basically a very lazy person, if i can find a way to save time and do two things at the same time, i will!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
I say the Habs go for him and hit him twice as hard as they would anyone else.

Let him know that he doesn't get a free pass because of what happened to him during the season. Who's with this?

TAKE HIS HEAD OFF!!!!!

First of all, I think letting Bergeron touch the ice would be a major mistake seeing that he is about 30 pounds smaller than his usual playing weight, secondly, if he does play, he should be pounded around non-stop by the Habs. No special treatment for him, if he wants to play, he better be ready.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
If Bergeron is back, then so is Koivu. It evens out easily.
And not even close. They're probably about even in the playoffs before considering the fact that Bergeron hasn't played all year. As long as Saku takes enough time, he'll dominate Bergeron.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post

It's nice to have French Canadians like Savard and Bergeron in a B's uniform--you guys can't have ALL the great FC players..
Our FC players are currently sucking. You want them?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
TAKE HIS HEAD OFF!!!!!

First of all, I think letting Bergeron touch the ice would be a major mistake seeing that he is about 30 pounds smaller than his usual playing weight, secondly, if he does play, he should be pounded around non-stop by the Habs. No special treatment for him, if he wants to play, he better be ready.
30 pounds?
Not true at all.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 09:56 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
TAKE HIS HEAD OFF!!!!!

Very classy post. Bergeron was 15 pounds below his last playing weight, now it's reportedly down to 5-7 pounds. According to the Boston Globe, he was not cleared for game play yet yesterday by his neurologist, but will continue to practice with contact, and be reevaluated in a week, if the B's are still playing.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:07 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Very classy post. Bergeron was 15 pounds below his last playing weight, now it's reportedly down to 5-7 pounds. According to the Boston Globe, he was not cleared for game play yet yesterday by his neurologist, but will continue to practice with contact, and be reevaluated in a week, if the B's are still playing.
Anyone can use facts you know, it's the easy way out. On a similar nore, I should be examined by a neurologist.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:44 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
you think Quebec has a monopoly on French heritage ?
Obviously not, but in this case, he's not a french canadian.

/debate

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...on_to_rem.html

He won't be back before game 7 at the very earliest.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

You as a Bruins fan should know that class has nothing to do with this series!!! With all the cheapshots that the Bruins have given so far in this series....its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.

Everytime Lucic is near Komisarek he does something dirty to him....cross checking him in the hip, spearing him on the knee almost hyper extending it.....stuff like that. I'm all for rough, physical hockey.....it makes it great to watch, but there is no place for that garbage....players can get injured just by taking a body check, there is no need for the dirty plays the Bruins are doing....no need at all. Its those dirty plays that proves the Bruins know nothing about class!!!!

I don't know how much weight Bergeron lost, all I know is that he looks A LOT smaller than he ever did and if he doesn't have enough size, strength and weight to take some huge hits, then he is just going to end up getting hurt and possibly damaging his career. If it wasn't for Bergeron turning into the boards in the first place, he never would have gotten such a serious concussion. I'm not saying the hit was clean by any means, Jones did hit Bergeron from behind, but it was only a hit from behind after Bergeron turned into the boards.....if it wasn't for that....nothing bad would have happened.

Last edited by Puckhead58*: 04-14-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old
04-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I'D like to see a brawl between Carbo and Julien...

Julien seems like all talk but no walk.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
Savard isnt french canadien
he is a franco ontarian so yes he is a french candian

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
cneely

Quote:
You as a Bruins fan should know that class has nothing to do with this series!!! With all the cheapshots that the Bruins have given so far in this series....its about time they got a taste of their own medicine.

Everytime Lucic is near Komisarek he does something dirty to him....cross checking him in the hip, spearing him on the knee almost hyper extending it.....stuff like that. I'm all for rough, physical hockey.....it makes it great to watch, but there is no place for that garbage....players can get injured just by taking a body check, there is no need for the dirty plays the Bruins are doing....no need at all. Its those dirty plays that proves the Bruins know nothing about class!!!!

I don't know how much weight Bergeron lost, all I know is that he looks A LOT smaller than he ever did and if he doesn't have enough size, strength and weight to take some huge hits, then he is just going to end up getting hurt and possibly damaging his career. If it wasn't for Bergeron turning into the boards in the first place, he never would have gotten such a serious concussion. I'm not saying the hit was clean by any means, Jones did hit Bergeron from behind, but it was only a hit from behind after Bergeron turned into the boards.....if it wasn't for that....nothing bad would have happened.

I don't even know where to start with this...
First, Milan Lucic is a lot of things, but dirty is not one of them. I'm not sure what dirty plays you're talking about, but I haven't seen anything overtly deangerous. The cross check on his hip was no more than a love tap, and Komisarek would be the first to say that. It's been tough, intense hockey, but I haven't seen anything "dirty" from either side. The players on both teams have been very classy.

Second, Bergeron at no point "turned" into the boards when he got hit. Jones was behind him from the circles in, staring at his numbers. It appeared that Jones expected Bergeron to pick up the puck and curl off, but instead, he put on the brakes and stopped a couple of feet from the boards. Illegal, yes, dirty... meh, not really. At no point though, did Bergeron "turn" into the boards.

Old
04-14-2008, 12:40 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'D like to see a brawl between Carbo and Julien...

Julien seems like all talk but no walk.
Ozy, I think CJ was a bit of a minor league tough guy. Carbo, I can't remember too many majors. Maybe if Carbo's old right winger #30 is alongside....

btw, for anyone interested, #30 in your programs but #1 in your hearts Chris Nilan is doing a daily segment on Melnick's show every day at about 6.05.

Old
04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Ozy, I think CJ was a bit of a minor league tough guy. Carbo, I can't remember too many majors. Maybe if Carbo's old right winger #30 is alongside....

btw, for anyone interested, #30 in your programs but #1 in your hearts Chris Nilan is doing a daily segment on Melnick's show every day at about 6.05.
But he seems so emotionaaaaaaaaaal.

I can almost imagine him crying if the Bs lost the series.

I used to like CJ, but now, I can't stand him. He seems like a sniveling whimpering whinning old fart, so atypical for Bs coach.

And Carbo's got loads of purses at home.. #3 will replace #30.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:10 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
But he seems so emotionaaaaaaaaaal.

I can almost imagine him crying if the Bs lost the series.

I used to like CJ, but now, I can't stand him. He seems like a sniveling whimpering whinning old fart, so atypical for Bs coach.

And Carbo's got loads of purses at home.. #3 will replace #30.
I hate him too, mainly because he's with the B's. I used to like him. I loved Pat Burns, then I hated him, 3 times I hated him. I love Carbo, until that is, he goes on to coach a rival, then I'll hate him too.

I find that it's easy to change allegiances.

Old
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
I don't even know where to start with this...
First, Milan Lucic is a lot of things, but dirty is not one of them. I'm not sure what dirty plays you're talking about, but I haven't seen anything overtly deangerous. The cross check on his hip was no more than a love tap, and Komisarek would be the first to say that. It's been tough, intense hockey, but I haven't seen anything "dirty" from either side. The players on both teams have been very classy.

Second, Bergeron at no point "turned" into the boards when he got hit. Jones was behind him from the circles in, staring at his numbers. It appeared that Jones expected Bergeron to pick up the puck and curl off, but instead, he put on the brakes and stopped a couple of feet from the boards. Illegal, yes, dirty... meh, not really. At no point though, did Bergeron "turn" into the boards.

Take off your rose-colored glasses!!! Anybody who seen any of the videos of Bergeron getting creamed can see that he turned into the boards.

Bergeron should have curled around the boards with the puck or slowed down before the boards and let Jones take him into the boards like a rub out, but Bergeron decided to stop 3 feet in front of the boards with his back turned to a speeding defencemen.
ANY hockey player knows that you're never supposed to do that. The hit was just as much his fault for putting himself in a dangerous position as it is Jones' fault for hitting him from behind.

Bergeron was definitely hit from behind, nobody is arguing that....it was a dirty hit, but who was it that put Bergeron in that position? It was Bergeron who skated in there and stopped 3 feet from the boards, it wasn't Jones that made him do that.

The bottom line is that Bergeron should have known better!!!

Old
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
cneely

Quote:
Take off your rose-colored glasses!!! Anybody who seen any of the videos of Bergeron getting creamed can see that he turned into the boards.

Bergeron should have curled around the boards with the puck or slowed down before the boards and let Jones take him into the boards like a rub out, but Bergeron decided to stop 3 feet in front of the boards with his back turned to a speeding defencemen.
ANY hockey player knows that you're never supposed to do that. The hit was just as much his fault for putting himself in a dangerous position as it is Jones' fault for hitting him from behind.

Bergeron was definitely hit from behind, nobody is arguing that....it was a dirty hit, but who was it that put Bergeron in that position? It was Bergeron who skated in there and stopped 3 feet from the boards, it wasn't Jones that made him do that.

The bottom line is that Bergeron should have known better!!!
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeWFsKPNw9Q

He makes a bee line for the puck, face to the boards from the face off circle in. You tell me where he turns...

As for putting himself in a bad position, I agree 100%. Jones should have the wherewithal to pull up before creaming him though.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeWFsKPNw9Q

He makes a bee line for the puck, face to the boards from the face off circle in. You tell me where he turns...

As for putting himself in a bad position, I agree 100%. Jones should have the wherewithal to pull up before creaming him though.
When a guy gets injured, I'm not going to get into arguing what he 'should' have done. Esp. in a moving situation, involving a race. There is a lot of merit to how players give their backs to the opposition along the boards though. It doesn't give you immunity from forecheckers, and they have to protect themselves better. This isn't an example, but it is an issue.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:18 PM
cneely

Quote:
When a guy gets injured, I'm not going to get into arguing what he 'should' have done. Esp. in a moving situation, involving a race. There is a lot of merit to how players give their backs to the opposition along the boards though. It doesn't give you immunity from forecheckers, and they have to protect themselves better. This isn't an example, but it is an issue.
I agree McPhee, its become a tactic. That's why I'd stop a long way short of frying Randy Jones.

For what its worth, while Bergeron didn't turn at all, he very likely stopped with his back to Jones to try to protect the puck. A pretty dangerous decision.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I agree McPhee, its become a tactic. That's why I'd stop a long way short of frying Randy Jones.

For what its worth, while Bergeron didn't turn at all, he very likely stopped with his back to Jones to try to protect the puck. A pretty dangerous decision.
When Kost. hit Chara the other night,imo, that was an example of a play where Chara stayed in one position unprotected from a forecheck. I'm not sure there's a clear definition of that kind of play that the players or officials are comforatble with.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:26 PM
cneely

The onus should be on the hitter to pull up when he realizes that the other player is in a bad position. The problem then is that you allow the puck carrier to either draw a call, or hold the puck with impunity.

Chara was quite obviously trying to draw a call on that play. Glad to see the refs didn't fall for it.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
The onus should be on the hitter to pull up when he realizes that the other player is in a bad position. The problem then is that you allow the puck carrier to either draw a call, or hold the puck with impunity.

Chara was quite obviously trying to draw a call on that play. Glad to see the refs didn't fall for it.

See thats the problem with the game today....there is no respect for the other players like there used to be so now instead of Jones slowing down and carrying Bergeron into the boards and finishing his check, he skates wide open and creams him from behind.

Back years ago, players had more respect for each other, in most cases and they wouldn't hit a guy from behind that hard. They would still push him into the boards but only to rub the player out of the play, not to drive him through the boards.

Old
04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
He won't get a free pass, but Montreal isn't going to be stupid and go after him to wreck his career or to have the Bruins go after Kovalev or run Price!

Montreal will be smart and play him like any other player...Bergeron has been off too long to be a game breaker, people are too worried about one player who isn't playing instead of a whole team that is actually playing.
Don't underestimate the power of adrenaline in the short-term.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Don't underestimate the power of adrenaline in the short-term.
That entire argument is hogwash anyway.
Look at Ryan Clowe and Gary Roberts.