HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We're playing Boston's game.

Old
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
TheGoalJudge

vCash: 500
We're playing Boston's game.

We're hitting too much. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's true. We need to concentrate on playing our game and what game is that? Speed and transition, carrying the puck into the zone and retrieving the puck quickly behind our net.

What we're doing right now is trying to hit everything that moves. Everyone is hitting (except for Streit lol). S. Kost is trying to hit everything. I even saw him skate past the puck in the neutral zone to hit someone. Get the puck and attack!

I've seen Plekanec trying to hit Chara. It's nice to see the effort but it's misguided. Do what you do best.

Let me clarify and say that not the whole team needs to stop. Kostopolous has been AMAZING and he can continue, same with Begin. Hamrlik and Komisarek go right ahead, you're good at it.

Kostitsyns need to stop trying to hit the bigger Bruins, Higgins too. Brisebois has no business trying to hit anything because he's not successful. Our Kostopolous line is playing amazing, let them do the hitting! That's what an energy line is for.

I think Dandenault needs to sit, all he's doing is skating around and hitting random players. Streit needs to take his spot on the 3rd line. What happened to rolling 3 offensive lines? Where did that go? The Lapierre/Dandenault line is USELESS. We have an energy line and they're amazing right now. Let them do the hitting.

Bottom line is that Boston would rather us bodying them into the boards then carrying it into the zone with speed. I understand the playoffs intensity and all that but what is our strength? I think we need to focus more on transition and attacking Boston, not simply poking it into centre ice and drilling everything that moves. That doesn't put pucks in the net.

Maybe I'm nuts.. because watching everyone hit is fun to watch. I don't know.

Edit: And the useless roughing penalties. SKost trying to get in on scrums, just skate away! We took TWO useless roughing penalties last game (Hammer and Skost). Just skate away. Let's play our game and let them take penalties.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:06 AM
bipolarhabfan

This is what I wrote in another thread:

I am still confident. The team has shown resiliency throughout the season. I do not think that now they will fold now. They played much better last night in the second, third, and OT periods. What they need to do is raise the tempo of the game to the level they did on Thursday. They do so and they will be successful. By slowing down the game, and trying to hit all the time, they are playing into the Bruins hands. As for the PP, they need to simplify it and stop being so predictable. Use the Kovy option when you can but from now on get traffic in front of the net and shoot.

In essence, I agree with what your saying. The Bruins have taken us away from the game we normally play. The play by Kostitsyn, skating right by the puck to 'finish' his check, was plainly stupid and exemplifies what we should not be doing.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:07 AM
LeMAD

We have no choice. Boston is blocking the neutral zone and we can't get both our passing and skating games going. The only option is dump and chase.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:17 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
We have no choice. Boston is blocking the neutral zone and we can't get both our passing and skating games going. The only option is dump and chase.
Is dumping and chasing the only effective way of breaking down their neutral zone trap? How else can the Habs break down the trap?

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
TheGoalJudge

We broke it down fine in the regular season. The problem is that right now we only have 1 line that can do it, the Kovalev line. In the reg. season we had 3.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:22 AM
marc1337

The problem is that our defensemen have their face in the board all the time... we need more puck possession. Better support by our forward and our D must be more patient with the puck. How many times did we see Markov going in circle in our zone, simply because he has no option….

marc1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Ipousse Lapuck

I was going to post the same thing, we finished first in the east because of our speed on 5 on 5 (transition game) and power play, well right now we are playing Boston style, just checking and not using our speed enough, plus the power play is not producing.

I wish Carbo would bring back Grabovvsky and put a FAST lineup against the Bruins and put back Obyrne and Bouillon (when hes healthy) than our forwards could skate circles around the Bruins cones (ehhh defensemans) and our defence would be tough enough to hit the Bruins forwards and shut down their "bad" offence.

I would like a lineup like this for next game: (if Bouillon i back if not put Briseboisin his place)

A Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev (if they play bd again then we change them but they played great all season so I think they are about to get going)

S Kost-Grabovsky-Higgins (a fast 2nd line and they would have space to create offence since the first line will be facing Giraffe)

Latendresse/Ryder-Lapierre-Streit (they can score goals here and there and Steit can play at the point on the PP)

TKO-Smolinsky-Begin (no explaination needed)

Gorges-Markov (to create offence with the first line and they are good together on both sides of the ice)

Hamrlik-OByrne (they played well together and they can both bang the Bruins)

Komisarek-Bouillon (until Komisarek is fully healed those guys could play well together)

Jesus
Halak

Sorry for the english mistakes, Im in Ecuador since 4 months so Im losing my english a little bit.

Ipousse Lapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
BJCOLLINS

IMHO it's not that we're playing the B's game it's smply that the B's are trapping, trapping, trapping.

As a fan I see the Habs running into the B's more than hitting them. That would make sense since the neutral zone is clogged up every time we go up ice.

A couple of solutions I see can't take place place until we're healthy. Here's one for now;Streit-idealy he needs to move him up, his speed and play making breaks the trap but with the injuries he has to stay back. Breeze-by - ya, he's played OK at times, but he needs a rest. We know Gorges played well with Markov....O'Byrne can step in but Franky's not ready to step in for Streit.

SO....................Markov & Gorges, Hammer & O'B, Komi & Streit

And up front Kovy's trying to do too much (Saku PLEASE get well). Kovy and Pleks must settle down and just play. I'm confident with these guys, just as the B's were due for a win this line is due to lite it up. Higgins & SK could really beneifit from an energy winger on that line.....I'd be willing to put Steward in with them, couldn't hurt.

The other two lines I haven't had much to complain about......Steward, could however take Dandy's spot to give him (and some posters) a rest.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Doctor House

Just fix the PP and we'll be OK.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Just fix the PP and we'll be OK.
Bingo. Last night was our typical normal good game on 5 on 5 and it was 1-1 but during the season our PP would score 1 or 2 goals to put us over the top. Fix the PP and we should win this series in 5.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipousse Lapuck View Post
I was going to post the same thing, we finished first in the east because of our speed on 5 on 5 (transition game) and power play, well right now we are playing Boston style, just checking and not using our speed enough, plus the power play is not producing.

I wish Carbo would bring back Grabovvsky and put a FAST lineup against the Bruins and put back Obyrne and Bouillon (when hes healthy) than our forwards could skate circles around the Bruins cones (ehhh defensemans) and our defence would be tough enough to hit the Bruins forwards and shut down their "bad" offence.

I would like a lineup like this for next game: (if Bouillon i back if not put Briseboisin his place)

A Kost-Plekanec-Kovalev (if they play bd again then we change them but they played great all season so I think they are about to get going)

S Kost-Grabovsky-Higgins (a fast 2nd line and they would have space to create offence since the first line will be facing Giraffe)

Latendresse/Ryder-Lapierre-Streit (they can score goals here and there and Steit can play at the point on the PP)

TKO-Smolinsky-Begin (no explaination needed)

Gorges-Markov (to create offence with the first line and they are good together on both sides of the ice)

Hamrlik-OByrne (they played well together and they can both bang the Bruins)

Komisarek-Bouillon (until Komisarek is fully healed those guys could play well together)

Jesus
Halak

Sorry for the english mistakes, Im in Ecuador since 4 months so Im losing my english a little bit.
Those would be my lines too

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:50 AM
windycity

is it too late to trade for Jokinen?

How about Hossa?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Bingo. Last night was our typical normal good game on 5 on 5 and it was 1-1 but during the season our PP would score 1 or 2 goals to put us over the top. Fix the PP and we should win this series in 5.
I agree - I actually liked the way we played Game 3. But, this is Montreal and everyone panics when we lose a SINGLE game in a playoff SERIES.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:23 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
Is dumping and chasing the only effective way of breaking down their neutral zone trap? How else can the Habs break down the trap?
The Habs were starting to break down the trap in the 2nd, 3rd periods and in OT by making quick, tip passes in the neutral zone to a streaking winger. It was working well and we started to show our speed a lot more. We dominated OT, their goal was the result of: a horrible Begin shot, a bad line change, and Smokes' slash resulting in a delayed penalty situation. All three elements are equal contributors to the winning goal.

I agree that the Habs are trying to hit too much --- perhaps trying to prove a point? We need to concentrate on our puck skills and forget about out-hitting the Bruins. We always beat the Bruins by using our speed.

As for our PP, Streit and Markov are being well covered, as is Kovy, but the Habs are standing still. There isn't a lot of motion on the PP right now. Because the Bruins forwards are so high on Markov and Streit, we need to get someone into the high slot area for some free shots on Thomas. Think of the Plekanec goal against Buffalo when he tipped Streit's pass for a goal. Pleks was in the high slot. There is room there, but the Candiens are too low as they are waiting for a shot from the point that isn't coming.

Pleks and AKost both have good shots and should be in the high slot area when out with Kovy, who can work the half-boards on either side. Ryder should be there as well.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:44 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KomiGr8 View Post
The Habs were starting to break down the trap in the 2nd, 3rd periods and in OT by making quick, tip passes in the neutral zone to a streaking winger. It was working well and we started to show our speed a lot more. We dominated OT, their goal was the result of: a horrible Begin shot, a bad line change, and Smokes' slash resulting in a delayed penalty situation. All three elements are equal contributors to the winning goal.

I agree that the Habs are trying to hit too much --- perhaps trying to prove a point? We need to concentrate on our puck skills and forget about out-hitting the Bruins. We always beat the Bruins by using our speed.

As for our PP, Streit and Markov are being well covered, as is Kovy, but the Habs are standing still. There isn't a lot of motion on the PP right now. Because the Bruins forwards are so high on Markov and Streit, we need to get someone into the high slot area for some free shots on Thomas. Think of the Plekanec goal against Buffalo when he tipped Streit's pass for a goal. Pleks was in the high slot. There is room there, but the Candiens are too low as they are waiting for a shot from the point that isn't coming.

Pleks and AKost both have good shots and should be in the high slot area when out with Kovy, who can work the half-boards on either side. Ryder should be there as well.
Excellent post and I agree though I think in the 3rd the Bruins did an excellent job at playing "prevent" defence. They had 3 ES shots and seemed content with it because they limited us to only 2. We can break down the trap with our speed, but we need to capitalize on our chances and just get pucks to the net. If they're going to be playing that style any time the game gets close we have to simplify our game, throw pucks at the net and get traffic in there for rebounds and tips.

I also think the CBC crew pointed out a good adjustment the Bruins made which really slowed down our counter-attack. They kept the puck away from Carey Price with those diagonal shoot-ins which either let them forecheck and set up a cycle or forced us to stay in our zone a few seconds longer, allowing them to set up defensively in the neutral zone.

As for the hitting, yeah we are trying to do too much of it. I can understand the Bégin line going in and trying to cause havoc, but the rest of the team just needs to focus on our skill game.

For the PP, I'll say exactly the same thing I said after game 2. We're being too cute. Markov cutting in for the back-door pass has not worked once, the Bruins are clogging all lanes for cross ice passes. We need to go D to D because they aren't pressuring too much and get Streit some one-timers and get some traffic in front. Giving it to Kovy and hoping something cool happens hasn't worked in 3 games so far. Simplify the PP and good things will happen.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I'm not worried, Carbo will make the right ajustments for next game and the Habs will win. I had a bad feeling about last night and an OT loss is better than what I expected. I have a good feeling about the next game. This loss is exactly what the Habs needed to come back to their basics.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
What we need to do is stretch out one forward.. Boston plays physical. So D to winger cross ice pass.. Draw the Boston forechecker into hitting territory. Chip it off the boards to the streaking player and to try to establish puck control and gain the blueline that way.

Boston is trapping but they are being overly physical, if we make the right chip plays before physical contact, they are going to get caught. We can outskate them, once we get in their zone, they can't contain us. It's getting into the zone that's the problem.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 05:58 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
We're hitting too much. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's true. We need to concentrate on playing our game and what game is that? Speed and transition, carrying the puck into the zone and retrieving the puck quickly behind our net.

What we're doing right now is trying to hit everything that moves. Everyone is hitting (except for Streit lol). S. Kost is trying to hit everything. I even saw him skate past the puck in the neutral zone to hit someone. Get the puck and attack!

I've seen Plekanec trying to hit Chara. It's nice to see the effort but it's misguided. Do what you do best.

Let me clarify and say that not the whole team needs to stop. Kostopolous has been AMAZING and he can continue, same with Begin. Hamrlik and Komisarek go right ahead, you're good at it.

Kostitsyns need to stop trying to hit the bigger Bruins, Higgins too. Brisebois has no business trying to hit anything because he's not successful. Our Kostopolous line is playing amazing, let them do the hitting! That's what an energy line is for.

I think Dandenault needs to sit, all he's doing is skating around and hitting random players. Streit needs to take his spot on the 3rd line. What happened to rolling 3 offensive lines? Where did that go? The Lapierre/Dandenault line is USELESS. We have an energy line and they're amazing right now. Let them do the hitting.

Bottom line is that Boston would rather us bodying them into the boards then carrying it into the zone with speed. I understand the playoffs intensity and all that but what is our strength? I think we need to focus more on transition and attacking Boston, not simply poking it into centre ice and drilling everything that moves. That doesn't put pucks in the net.

Maybe I'm nuts.. because watching everyone hit is fun to watch. I don't know.

Edit: And the useless roughing penalties. SKost trying to get in on scrums, just skate away! We took TWO useless roughing penalties last game (Hammer and Skost). Just skate away. Let's play our game and let them take penalties.
the ice didnt look great last night. I wonder if there was some gamesmanship involved there, plus boston had the last change. Those 2 factors made it difficult to play high tempo hockey.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote