HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

missing in action

Old
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
j52

vCash: 500
missing in action

There are several players who appear to be invisible this series. Higgins, Pleks, Lats., are non-factors.
Komis. had one move that he used to little avail last night-push the Bruin toward the boards, and let the puck remain loose for another player to pick up.
Ryder can't shoot, let alone score.
Are thses guys MIA because they aren't getting enough ice time, or are they playoff
busts? Why isn't Markov getting more powerplay time?
This team has the look of a submarine waiting for orders to submerge.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:30 PM
AD

Higgins has been playing very well.

I agree about Pleks and Ryder though..

They have been brilliant in flashes.. and then *poof*

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:32 PM
j52

He hasn't scored. Your scorers can't turn to mush in the playoffs.

Old
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
He hasn't scored. Your scorers can't turn to mush in the playoffs.
4 days before the end of the season, he was switched from a scoring winger role to a 2nd line/shut down center role.

He's doing a great job of playing that guy.. he's been deep in his zone helping our D-men constantly.

So if you're looking for goals, you'll have to wait til Koivu comes back.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

You're talking about players who are "missing in action" and you say Higgins but don't mention Streit...?

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
lasainteflanelle*

i agree...higgins has been very good.

it's pleks that i'm most disappointed in. i'd say i'm disappointed in ryder also, but i kinda gave up on that sentiment about 41 games into the season. i wasn't expecting much from him like i was from pleks.

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
4 days before the end of the season, he was switched from a scoring winger role to a 2nd line/shut down center role.

He's doing a great job of playing that guy.. he's been deep in his zone helping our D-men constantly.

So if you're looking for goals, you'll have to wait til Koivu comes back.
Exactly Higgins broke up a key play when Lucic was alone in front of the net yesterday, even though he hasn't put up some goals he has been doing other things well.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Quiet Robert

No sense in dumping on Lats, he's been doing his job. The kid's on the 4th line for crissakes and is doing a good job at forechecking and creating a cycle with Dandy and Lappy.

Even Higgins and Ryder deserve some leeway. Ryder just needs to shoot more, the Bruins are actually backing up a lot when he enters the zone and giving him a lane to the slot. For some reason he holds onto when he just be selfish and shoot. Kost and Higgins could then drive the net.

We're really missing Koivu in the faceoff circle though. Higgins has just been brutal in that department. Other than that he's been working hard, but I get the impression he isn't 100% comfortable at the center position. (Seems more afraid to make mistakes etc...)

Overall though, in the playoffs your best players have to be your best players. A.Kost, Plekanec (and even to a certain extent Kovalev...) haven't played up to their potential. Plekanec is doing very well in the faceoff circle, but past that he hasn't played the way he needs to if this team is going to go far. Same with Kostitsyn. Kovalev has had too many turnovers and imo is overused on the PP, everyone just gives it to him and hopes he makes something happen. It's worked once in 18 tries.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
You're talking about players who are "missing in action" and you say Higgins but don't mention Streit...?
Streit can't be blamed for the PP failures, it's the playoffs and teams have been saving up their best tactics and closely studying our PP. It was inevitable that the percentage was going to fall off. I know there was a thread before that said it's not true, but it seems to be true every year.

Streit is not a very good defenseman, that's not a secret. Throwing him in there in a playoff game isn't fair to him. He's a much better checking winger. His stats are inflated because of our PP. They've carved out a perfect role for him where he can use his shot.

I think Kovalev has to pick his game up. I know he scored a big goal last game, but he's the captain now. He can't be taking dumb retaliation penalties and float around. He has to dig deep. You know Koivu would be doing that.

Markov has to step up as well, and Komisarek has to keep his temper in check and not run around hitting people.

I think the team is being told to be responsible defensively and patient on offense, but I'd like to see them be more aggressive. We kicked their butt in game 1 because of an extremely aggressive forecheck. We have to get back to that. Their defense is slow and can't move the puck. Get in there!

Of course, the longer this series goes, the healthier Koivu gets.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 01:55 PM
zurg999

I'm getting a little tired of some of this 'Where'd our team go?' discussion. Take away the 8 games the Habs played against Boston this season and here's the result:

Habs 39/25/10 for 88 points
Bruins 41/22/11 for 93 points

Did anyone really believe coming in that the Bruins were an awful team?

I believe the Habs have the best chance to win the series, but anyone who truly 100% believed it would be a cakewalk has received their reality check.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:07 PM
LyleOdelein

The biggest question mark for me last game was Kovalev. I think he played terribly. He was way too nonchalant with the puck and had too many giveaways. There was definitely a few times where he stopped skating out of frustration or laziness, which is a very bad sign. He has not played that poorly in a long time. When he plays like that, it seems his whole line has difficulty getting going(as seemed the case last night). I'm sure Kovy can step it up though. He's bounced back from poor performances before.

The defence as a whole needs to be better. Streit, Gorges and Brisbois had mediocre games at best. Komi is still fighting it on occasion out there. Markov and Hamrlik were fairly solid. I think a day to refocus and prepare for tomorrow's game is going to be good for the D corps.

Ryder's playing well as far as manufacturing chances and creating energy is concerned, but he needs to start hitting the net. He's blowing way too many scoring opportunities.

LyleOdelein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Guillemin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallyHabsFan21 View Post
Who?

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Doctor House

Ryder and Higgins have been OK - Pleks and Streit are struggling.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Habbiebo0gie

I don't know man, I feel like Lats is slowing down Lapierre's line. Lapierre's been a beast, but Lats is not complementing him well enough. I think the only time Lats is any good is when he plays with Koivu.

Higgins has been great, his defensive play is awesome. Ryder is having flashes of his former self, but disappears for long periods of time. I really don't know what can be done about this guy.

Pleks has all but disappeared, and the ******* are also disappearing for long stretches of time. The whole team is lacking something, except for our awesome Greek Lightning line.

Streit has been absolutely brutal in the playoffs so far, he needs to get moved up front. I mean, it's one thing if you can't play your man well (Lucic), but to go as far as screening your own goaltender when Lucic is in the slot area? Wow. Nasty

Kovalev has been trying really hard, but he can't do it all by himself against the B's rag-tag team, especially when his linemates are sleepers...

Dandy is invisible, I can't find this guy on the ice for the life of me.

Habbiebo0gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
brownman*

I give credit to Ryder for having possession of the puck a lot, which obviously prevents GA , but God damn it son you've got two linemates who can do one of two things: get your rebounds (if you'd ****ing shoot) or receive your passes (if you'd take a look).

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
I'm getting a little tired of some of this 'Where'd our team go?' discussion. Take away the 8 games the Habs played against Boston this season and here's the result:

Habs 39/25/10 for 88 points
Bruins 41/22/11 for 93 points

Did anyone really believe coming in that the Bruins were an awful team?

I believe the Habs have the best chance to win the series, but anyone who truly 100% believed it would be a cakewalk has received their reality check.
Take away the games we lost and we'd have finished with 164 points...

One of the reasons we've beaten Boston like a bad stepchild is their defense matches up poorly with our speed up front, we have to get back to getting big time pressure on them like game 1.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

One of the reasons we've beaten Boston like a bad stepchild is their defense matches up poorly with our speed up front, we have to get back to getting big time pressure on them like game 1.
Well either way, we didn't match their intensity as a team. I can't think of a Bruin that didn't skate hard or play hard. We weren't as hungry as they were and that's why we lost.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 02:39 PM
MarkovsKnee

Yeah, I don't know why people keep picking on Higgins. He has been solid, solid defensively. He made at least three great defensive plays last night that prevented goals, a breakaway or an odd man situation. Some defenceman (hello Brezer and Streit) should be buying him steak dinners for bailing them out so often. SKost also made a great defensive play on the Price stickhandling gaffe.

Higgins is playing so deep in our zone to help out the defenceman he's practically acting like a defenceman. He was picking up the puck alot and making solid outlet passes to Ryder and SKost. But that means he's behind the play and in the offensive zone he hangs high.

We miss Higgins outside speed on the wing and his crazy forechecking ability, when he draws a ton of penalties. He can't really be that at centre. We need Koivu back, or Grabo in, or even Chipchura. Ryder moves down to Lats-Lappy line and Dandy moves out of the line-up.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Kovalev?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
j52

Higgins was third in goal scoring this year. He has to score in the playoffs for the team to succeed. The third and fourth lines supposedly are there to check.
Pleks was second in scoring. Where is he now?
The offensive stars have to step up, whether they are playing left, right, centre or defence!
Most of them are invisible.

Old
04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Higgins has made up for not scoring by playing sound defensive hockey. Kovalev should be on that list

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Habskrieg

Guys after 3 games i seriously thought every player would have 3g 3a by now... they all suck...

Habskrieg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 07:58 PM
Magic33

streit has been our worse player so far hands down ... he is doing nothing right out there, even struggling on dump ins (as can be seen last night when he fired right off the butt of non moving kost sr, which led to a breakaway ... brutal

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
streit has been our worse player so far hands down ... he is doing nothing right out there, even struggling on dump ins (as can be seen last night when he fired right off the butt of non moving kost sr, which led to a breakaway ... brutal
Streit CANNOT ever play D again.

Bouillon, O'Byrne, Brisebois, but...no more Streit.

Carbo must never try Streit on D again.
Why wait for another Lucic goal (thanks to Streit).

We might be up 3-0 (if it weren't for Streit's awful defense).
We already knew that Streit was terrible on D, so...why was he a D-man for us in playoffs.

Streit as forward.
Bouillon IN.
O'Byrne IN.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 08:20 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

I think you missed the point. That being that there isn't a huge difference in the two teams. A few coaching adjustments and bang, the regular season doesn't seem to matter as much.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote