HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Role Reversal

Old
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Role Reversal

I find it interesting that the 2008 Rangers are essentially a trapping team while the Devils are sending two men in and forechecking much more aggressively than they have prior to this year. It's a complete role reversal of 1994 (and many years between now and then) when the Devils trapped and the Rangers forechecked much more than they do now. Fascinating.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:09 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I find it interesting that the 2008 Rangers are essentially a trapping team while the Devils are sending two men in and forechecking much more aggressively than they have prior to this year. It's a complete role reversal of 1994 (and many years between now and then) when the Devils trapped and the Rangers forechecked much more than they do now. Fascinating.
Well if you watched the first two games you would realize both teams were trapping heavily. Obviously in game 3, realizing that type of head to head style benefited the rangers they changed their game.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:10 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
What's annoying about this is, we could turn so many odd man rushes if we had a good puck moving defensemen. With two guys deep, one clean pass to a winger catches 2 each time, if not a 3rd guy who's too far deep. Instead of trying that (Betts tried it once last game and that's how the first goal was scored) they always curl around back behind the net and set up, effectively having to go through 5 guys again instead of 3. Frustrates me to no end, but I understand why they do it.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

In game 3 yea..... Devils had no choice....

04-14-2008, 11:11 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I find it interesting that the 2008 Rangers are essentially a trapping team while the Devils are sending two men in and forechecking much more aggressively than they have prior to this year.
If the Devils didn't let go of so many players and coaches over the years they could have slowed the spread of "defense first".

04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlooded View Post
What's annoying about this is, we could turn so many odd man rushes if we had a good puck moving defensemen. With two guys deep, one clean pass to a winger catches 2 each time, if not a 3rd guy who's too far deep. Instead of trying that (Betts tried it once last game and that's how the first goal was scored) they always curl around back behind the net and set up, effectively having to go through 5 guys again instead of 3. Frustrates me to no end, but I understand why they do it.
I'm right there with you. Better safe than sorry though.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote