HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there anyway Sean Avery returns next season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2008, 07:10 AM
  #1
damons
Registered User
 
damons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
Is there anyway Sean Avery returns next season?

I just don't think Sather will pay Avery what he wants, I feel a team will overpay to sign Avery.

Do you think that Avery will be on the Rangers next season?

damons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 07:33 AM
  #2
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
My magic eight ball says: "doubtful".

Seriously, I think he'll be pretty expensive. At this point I'm not sure slats is willing to pay the freight.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 07:34 AM
  #3
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,522
vCash: 500
He'll never reach July 1st. Definitely re-signed.

There are not too many other cities that vibe so well w/ Sean Averys other activities.

The only reason he's not signed already is because Slats knows he'll get the most out of a hungry Avery.

I suppose SA could get greedy, and I would not play to hard ball w/Slats :cough: Nylander....but ultimately I think Sean really loves NY

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:17 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,824
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
He'll never reach July 1st. Definitely re-signed.

There are not too many other cities that vibe so well w/ Sean Averys other activities.

The only reason he's not signed already is because Slats knows he'll get the most out of a hungry Avery.

I suppose SA could get greedy, and I would not play to hard ball w/Slats :cough: Nylander....but ultimately I think Sean really loves NY
I think he resigns. But he definitely makes it to 7/1.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:19 AM
  #5
TheHotRock
Registered User
 
TheHotRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,177
vCash: 500
unless he's offered more than 4 mil before july 1, he's gonna make it to that point and he'd be dumb not to.

that said, i think we'll get him back for a little less than that

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:23 AM
  #6
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 500
I think hell sign a 2 year deal.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:30 AM
  #7
blue2noise
Registered User
 
blue2noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,486
vCash: 500
This thread is very depressing

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:35 AM
  #8
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
I think he stays but not without an ugly negotiations b/c Slats and even Avery know he has more value to us than any other team in the NHL as he has made it work in NYC and on this team where as if he signed elsewhere there would be alot more concern over how he'd fit in and that will severely hurt his offers from outside teams and Slats knowing this will swing that hammer when talking contract.

I'd give him 3.75 for 2 yrs, maybe even 4 as long as it's for 2 yrs because the term is somewhat more important than the $$ amount.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 08:36 AM
  #9
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
there is no way that Sather can let Avery go

if guys like Straka and Shanny leave, that opens some cap space plus the fact that the cap is going up...Sather will resign him no doubt especially if he keeps up his play in the playoffs

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:12 AM
  #10
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
I think it really will depend on the money/years both are trying to get along with who is staying and going.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:21 AM
  #11
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
If Avery keeps playing the way he is right now (outside of the clowning), he'll get resigned.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:24 AM
  #12
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Where is he going to go? There is always a chance he could go to the Islanders since they have such a hard time getting free agents and have endless cap room. Other then that I can't think of another organization he'd be willing to go to that would have serious interest at the money we are talking about. I guess he could go for the $$ and waste away in Florida.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
  #13
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
He'll have to be re-signed because its very rare when a player has this much of a connection to the fans. Without actually being known for superstar talent.

It it was me, I would have had him signed already.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
  #14
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,437
vCash: 500
I think...

he tests the UFA market - and think he'd be a fool not to. Sather had a chance but didn't bite. Avery will likely cost more than he did when Sather had the chance and someone will be willing to pay more.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
  #15
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I think he's gone.

It's a bit clear that there is a rift between him and Drury. Looks like Drury plain doesn't appreciate his antics.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:34 AM
  #16
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think he resigns. But he definitely makes it to 7/1.
Than I'll be worried. Avery is such a man about town off the ice how many places would he really be able to get into all his other interest. The fashion shows, the hobnobbing with celebs etc.

NYC
Montreal
LA/Anaheim
Miami

Are one of those teams going to up the anty on Sean Avery?

Its in his interest to sign before 7/1 or Slats may be presented with another option....Ruccinsky....Nylander... turned down Slats offers and got better deal'd

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
  #17
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think he's gone.

It's a bit clear that there is a rift between him and Drury. Looks like Drury plain doesn't appreciate his antics.
Had nothing to do with Avery kicking his ass a few seasons ago?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
  #18
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think he's gone.

It's a bit clear that there is a rift between him and Drury. Looks like Drury plain doesn't appreciate his antics.
Chris Drury is one of the top class acts in the entire NHL, so that's certainly no surprise. But this is how it begins (like in LA). His antics and Me First, Team Second attitude piss one guy off, then another, then a third, etc..... Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. He's the NHL version of the NFL's T.Owens (except Avery doesnt whine like a ***** to the media after every single game like TO).

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:51 AM
  #19
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,824
vCash: 500
Awards:
I have no reason to believe that Drury doesn't like Avery.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:04 AM
  #20
BlueBlooded
Registered User
 
BlueBlooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Chris Drury is one of the top class acts in the entire NHL, so that's certainly no surprise. But this is how it begins (like in LA). His antics and Me First, Team Second attitude piss one guy off, then another, then a third, etc..... Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. He's the NHL version of the NFL's T.Owens (except Avery doesnt whine like a ***** to the media after every single game like TO).
I don't really see a "Me First" attitude here as much as he has shown elsewhere, though. One could argue that his act the other night on Brodeur is a prime example but I disagree. I still think he was just providing a huge screen and ample distraction to cause Brodeur to not be able to see, and it worked. I'm not digging it out now but Marty even said that Avery's screen was so perfect he didn't see the two shots that were taken.

I can't honestly think of any other example of anything he's done here that puts him ahead of the team, aside from a random penalty here or there, but every player is guilty of that at one point or another.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
  #21
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,831
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I have no reason to believe that Drury doesn't like Avery.
The whole thing when Avery was screening Brodeur was reason enough to me.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
  #22
BlueBlooded
Registered User
 
BlueBlooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Even if Drury doesn't like Avery I don't see it as being much of an issue. Drury is man enough, I'd assume, to be able to put it behind him in favor of the team. I'm sure there is no locker room in the NHL where there isn't at least a couple players who don't like everyone.

BlueBlooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
  #23
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Chris Drury is one of the top class acts in the entire NHL, so that's certainly no surprise. But this is how it begins (like in LA). His antics and Me First, Team Second attitude piss one guy off, then another, then a third, etc..... Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. He's the NHL version of the NFL's T.Owens (except Avery doesnt whine like a ***** to the media after every single game like TO).
as is Shanny one of the classiest players in the NHL and he loves him.

Does he have baggage and most likely a shelf-life, sure, but as of yet he has been a catalyst for this team and his aggressiveness and play have keep the juices flowing which is a big thing over a 82 game season.

I think the NYR's are in a great spot because they know he wants to play here bigtime and that other teams won't pay him what he'd be looking for because of all his baggage and the uncertainty that he wouldn't mesh in their lockeroom so the NYR's hold most of the leverage.

I think he gets a 2 yr deal and even with that if he gets out of line there is always Charlotte of the ECHL to ship him to which would only cost us $$$ and no cap hit.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
  #24
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The whole thing when Avery was screening Brodeur was reason enough to me.
Drury told him to keep his stick down, thats not a big deal at all.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
  #25
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,436
vCash: 500
I don't know anything about Drury and Avery not getting along. Even if--it's Sather's decision to sign him or not and Sather at least already attempted to a couple months back. So there would seem to be interest at least on the Rangers part. To comment on Avery and Brodeur--I didn't have a particular problem with what Avery did the other night. Brodeur has hardly been a choirboy either in their run-ins. Keep in mind what led to the Avery penalty in the first period of that game. As for Devils fans giving us a lesson about class acts--however much you hate him this guy isn't Billy Tibbets or Dale Purinton--for that matter he's not Cam Janssens or Mike Jefferson/Danton either.

I don't know what will happen. I suspect that if we do sign him it will be for more than we could have signed him before. I think a lot of teams might be interested in Avery but maybe only a few that he might like to play for--perhaps Toronto would be one, the Flyers maybe another though I don't know if they'll have a lot of cap room.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.