Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Malmö Redhawks Thread

Old
04-30-2008, 02:48 AM
calgarylen13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Bruins fan here...any new word on Soderberg? I really think that he needs to make the leap to NA or play in the SEL. It seems that many believe that he will play for no team other than Malmo. If that's the case, than he should come over. I really can't see him developing his game much further in the Allvenskan.

If any new info comes to the surface it would be great if somebody from this board could give us a heads up on the B's board. Thanks

ps Anything new on Brunnstrom? According to Boston's GM, he's confident that the B's are on FB's "short list".
At the end of kvalserien, it seemed certain 'Super Calle' would be making the jump to Boston. It seemed as though it was a mere formality, awaiting the official word. But as time has dragged on, it still hasn't happened. I know Peo Larsson and the team are desperately trying to convince him to stay.

Watching him play, I think he can handle NHL hockey, without a question in my mind. He just might need a year to learn the game. As for this year, I personally don't think another year in All-svenskan will hurt him. It isn't all that bad, other than those teams right down the bottom. Sure its not Elitserien, however it won't really be a step backwards. The problem becomes, if Malmö go up to Elitserien next year, will he then want to stay and play a season in Elitserien with Malmö? Then it asks a lot of questions about will he ever make the jump.

I think if he'sgoing to do it, he has to do it now. See how he goes, and if he doesn't like it, return to Malmö. But of course we'll post here if we know anything, so keep an eye open.

calgarylen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 02:53 AM
calgarylen13

Johan Björk signed for 3 years.

Expected, but glad its official.

also looks like Jan Öberg is staying. Good for the shot, only an average defender otherwise. I guess he wouldn't hurt too much to keep.

Old
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13 View Post
At the end of kvalserien, it seemed certain 'Super Calle' would be making the jump to Boston. It seemed as though it was a mere formality, awaiting the official word. But as time has dragged on, it still hasn't happened. I know Peo Larsson and the team are desperately trying to convince him to stay.

Watching him play, I think he can handle NHL hockey, without a question in my mind. He just might need a year to learn the game. As for this year, I personally don't think another year in All-svenskan will hurt him. It isn't all that bad, other than those teams right down the bottom. Sure its not Elitserien, however it won't really be a step backwards. The problem becomes, if Malmö go up to Elitserien next year, will he then want to stay and play a season in Elitserien with Malmö? Then it asks a lot of questions about will he ever make the jump.

I think if he'sgoing to do it, he has to do it now. See how he goes, and if he doesn't like it, return to Malmö. But of course we'll post here if we know anything, so keep an eye open.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I really don't know enough about the Swedish leagues to judge the caliber of play in the second division, say in comparison to the AHL. However, after seeing the stats he put up for Malmo in the SEL as a 21 yr old, and then this year (nearly a point and a half a game) while recovering from the injury...I'd like to see him make the jump to NA or at least play for one of the better SEL teams.

This is not a knock on Malmo, I would just like to see how Soderberg performs with better caliber teammates so that Bruins fans can try to guage what kind of impact he could have in the NHL.

If the Bruins did manage to sign Brunnstrom, do you see this as a help or hindrance in getting Soderberg to come over, or is it a non-issue???

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Kim Johansson

Can I ask about this guy?

He's listed as not coming back to Malmö, but he was kind of raised by the team. Any good reason why they'd let him walk?

No chance of even making the Allsvenskan team?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
calgarylen13

Marcus Olsson back with Malmö
Henrik Karlsson signing for 2 years...does this sniff of 'goodbye Hurme?'

Old
05-02-2008, 03:57 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I really don't know enough about the Swedish leagues to judge the caliber of play in the second division, say in comparison to the AHL. However, after seeing the stats he put up for Malmo in the SEL as a 21 yr old, and then this year (nearly a point and a half a game) while recovering from the injury...I'd like to see him make the jump to NA or at least play for one of the better SEL teams.

This is not a knock on Malmo, I would just like to see how Soderberg performs with better caliber teammates so that Bruins fans can try to guage what kind of impact he could have in the NHL.

If the Bruins did manage to sign Brunnstrom, do you see this as a help or hindrance in getting Soderberg to come over, or is it a non-issue???
I hear you, so I know its not a knock...its All-Svenskan and not Elitserien. The feeling was however, even if we did go up to Elitserien that he'd likely be heading over to Boston. Its only more lately it seems he might not. He is a very talented and smart player, and I too think he deserves a shot at the NHL. I'm only divided by the fact I want to see Malmö back in Elitserien. However he'd definately prefer to stay in Malmö than play long term in the AHL.

I'm not Calle, but if I had his brain i'd be thinking 'if i'm a fringe player at Boston/AHL i'll go...if its a year in the AHL, i'll stay at Malmö'. Therefore signing Brunnström would affect his decision in that it is potentially one less spot in the lineup for Calle.

All-Svenskan can be divided into 3. The top teams, which are as good as 8-12 in Elitserien, the mid teams, which are plucky and steal a few wins, then there's the easy beats.

Old
05-02-2008, 03:59 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Can I ask about this guy?

He's listed as not coming back to Malmö, but he was kind of raised by the team. Any good reason why they'd let him walk?

No chance of even making the Allsvenskan team?
He's a fringe player, still has a way to go. Thing is, Malmö is a top end All-svenskan team who is desparate on making it back up to Elitserien. He's probably better going to a mid ranked team, in order to get more minutes and play a more important role on the team.

He's not the most noticable guy on the ice. I am not personally sure of the inner reasons, my Swedish still isn't that good to read and understand all in articles. But I think its in his best interest to play elsewhere next season

Old
05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarylen13 View Post
He's a fringe player, still has a way to go. Thing is, Malmö is a top end All-svenskan team who is desparate on making it back up to Elitserien. He's probably better going to a mid ranked team, in order to get more minutes and play a more important role on the team.

He's not the most noticable guy on the ice. I am not personally sure of the inner reasons, my Swedish still isn't that good to read and understand all in articles. But I think its in his best interest to play elsewhere next season
Thank you for the info.

I was mostly asking because he's an Islander draft pick who needs to be signed this summer or he goes back into the draft/becomes a UFA. I was a bit curious when they drafted him, because he didn't seem like the type of guy who could possibly show any signs of future NHLdom within the two year period the Islanders would hold his rights.

If he wasn't even able to crack the regular roster of an Allsvenskan team, especially one looking to move up, then I can't possibly see him being of interest at the moment.

I take it he certainly hasn't shown enough to warrant their signing him now.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIsle View Post
Thank you for the info.

I was mostly asking because he's an Islander draft pick who needs to be signed this summer or he goes back into the draft/becomes a UFA. I was a bit curious when they drafted him, because he didn't seem like the type of guy who could possibly show any signs of future NHLdom within the two year period the Islanders would hold his rights.

If he wasn't even able to crack the regular roster of an Allsvenskan team, especially one looking to move up, then I can't possibly see him being of interest at the moment.

I take it he certainly hasn't shown enough to warrant their signing him now.
As i remember, he was pretty good in Islanders training camp.

Just throw a couple of recent examples:

Jonathan Ericsson was a non factor for Sodertalje in SEL in 2005/06. Next season, he became the best defenseman of his AHL team, and this season he made his NHL debut.
Daniel Rahimi was a bottom pairing defenseman for Bjorkloven in Allsvenskan. Now he is in AHL and is doing well.
Mattias Ritola couldn't crack Leksands lineup in Allsvenskan and was send down to Div 1 last year. This season, he made his NHL debut.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 09:04 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
As i remember, he was pretty good in Islanders training camp.

Just throw a couple of recent examples:

Jonathan Ericsson was a non factor for Sodertalje in SEL in 2005/06. Next season, he became the best defenseman of his AHL team, and this season he made his NHL debut.
Daniel Rahimi was a bottom pairing defenseman for Bjorkloven in Allsvenskan. Now he is in AHL and is doing well.
Mattias Ritola couldn't crack Leksands lineup in Allsvenskan and was send down to Div 1 last year. This season, he made his NHL debut.
Precisely. I wouldn't rule that out with Kim yet...its just that Malmö are going in another direction at the moment, and he isn't in the plans. If he goes to the AHL, he might find success, he might be a failure. If he plays a few years with another All-Svenskan team (say Almtuna) his career potential however will likely be on an Elitserien team and perhaps not ever making it to North America.

Old
05-02-2008, 05:36 PM
celticredhawk

Send a message via MSN to celticredhawk Send a message via Yahoo to celticredhawk
Henrik Kalrsson staying in Malmö another two years. Good news, but will he be the first or second choice keeper. I know Janni Jurme gave up some easy enough golas, especially in tough games but seems fairly popular with the fans.

MArtin Olsson returning, last played for Malmö in 2005/2006, missed the end of the season with injury.

Wondewr what will happen with thos Fins. ELoranta is obviously gone (or going), Hurme and Nieminen??? Wouldn't mind if either stayed, particularily Nieminen.

celticredhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticredhawk View Post
Henrik Kalrsson staying in Malmö another two years. Good news, but will he be the first or second choice keeper. I know Janni Jurme gave up some easy enough golas, especially in tough games but seems fairly popular with the fans.

MArtin Olsson returning, last played for Malmö in 2005/2006, missed the end of the season with injury.

Wondewr what will happen with thos Fins. ELoranta is obviously gone (or going), Hurme and Nieminen??? Wouldn't mind if either stayed, particularily Nieminen.
I think Karlsson should be sharing the duties with someone else. If Hurme took a pay-cut, I could understand if they played half the games each, depending on the team they were against. But i'm sure there are others who could share the duties with Karlsson. Hurme just choked and let in far too many soft goals.

Where have you heard Eloranta is obviously gone? I haven't heard anything about any of the finns, other than Pirjetä being gone. I'd be glad to see Niemenen back, he doesn't hurt the team...but Eloranta I particularly would like to see back.

Old
05-03-2008, 05:14 AM
celticredhawk

Send a message via MSN to celticredhawk Send a message via Yahoo to celticredhawk
For me Eloranta blew hot and cold through the season and all the talk in the press seems to have been that he would be heading back to Finland. WHen he was good he was great, a matchwinner but often just anonymous. I guess you could say the same about the whole "Finnish" line. I wouldn't mind if he stayed but was under the impression that he was looking for a move closer home.

I liked Nieminen, a fighter, seemed to work hard, not always effectively but the effort was certainly there. Wish he had a bit better ration of shots/goals but overall he adds a bit of aggression to the team. Would like him to stay.

I agree with Hurme, you can't be paid his kind of money and sit on the bench for half a season. Maybe cash needs to be spent on a quality first line centre!!!

By the way , nice to see a thread about the Redhawks stay towards the top of the board consistently. Lets see if we can't keep this up through the season.

Old
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
calgarylen13

Torgny Bendelin has left, and will be replaced by Peter Andersson. Anyone here know anything about him?

Old
05-06-2008, 10:43 AM
calgarylen13

Jan Öberg is staying. (Svenska fans)

Old
05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
calgarylen13

Niemenen is as good as gone . Too bad, he brought something extra to the table. I guess though it'll be more money to sign Banham, whos probably more worth it.

Old
05-07-2008, 02:17 PM
celticredhawk

Peter Andersson, great player for Malmö and New York Rangers. When he stopped playing a few years back Malmö gave him the job of Sports Director, things didn't work out there and to be honest I don't know what the leadership are doing with this decision. Also it is not quite a replacement . Bendelin and Bobo were working together, no assistant, Andersson will be Bobos assistant coach!!

Old
05-14-2008, 06:59 AM
calgarylen13

Mattias Johansson interested in Malmö!

Would be a decent addition.

Old
05-16-2008, 05:52 AM
calgarylen13

Malmö/Lund City has reported Carl Söderberg has left Malmö to play in Boston. It suggests that he was given an ultimatum by Boston, come over now or forget playing there. Perhaps I didn't understand it all correctly, but Peo Larsson seems to think Söderberg has said to him he might be staying.

Old
05-19-2008, 05:22 PM
celticredhawk

Nothing is definite until signed sealed and delivered but it seems likey that he will go at some stage, he has the potential to do well. Shame for Malmö but right for him. Maybe it was the eye injury thay allowed him to stay last year with the Redhawks but if he wants to succeed at NHL maybe he dhoud go sooner rather than later!!

Old
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
celticredhawk

Additionally heard from a reliable source that Brett Harkins would take a pay cut to stay in the region, apparently his family are very, very keen to stay on here for as long as possible, they seem very settled here, very happy with schools etc...

For me his big problem is that he wastes a non eu spot, but ma not be so bad as a third/fourth line centre

Old
05-20-2008, 03:58 AM
calgarylen13

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticredhawk View Post
Additionally heard from a reliable source that Brett Harkins would take a pay cut to stay in the region, apparently his family are very, very keen to stay on here for as long as possible, they seem very settled here, very happy with schools etc...

For me his big problem is that he wastes a non eu spot, but ma not be so bad as a third/fourth line centre
Niemenen is reported as gone by Svenskafans (and Sydsvenskan).

I'd be concerned with adding him to use an non EU spot also...that is unless we can get some better Swedish players to make up for it. But would be alright for the 3rd line.

Old
05-20-2008, 11:06 AM
calgarylen13

Where we stand: 20/05/08

Offence:
MacLean-M.Johansson-Söderberg
Eriksson-Steen-Paulsson
Hardt-Olsson-Höglund
Wallgren-Alvarez-Samuelsson

Defence:
Casselståhl - Björk
Weihager - Bruun
Öberg - Damgaard

Net:
Karlsson
Hurme

Its interesting, I think with the lineup as it stands now, it already looks better. Mostly dead weight has been dropped, (other than Wahlberg, and to a lesser extent Niemenen). From here we need to look at adding players who will help us go up to Elitserien next year.

From the 'possibly' list, I hope Hurme is gone, and I don't particularly care for Johansson. Eloranta i'd like to keep, due to his clutch performances in Kvalserien, and Banham always looked a danger on the ice (even though all he did was get in position and take shots). Söderberg we cannot rely to be staying, but if he is he could be what it takes to carry us up to Elitserien at this stage.

Players who have been rumoured are:
Jonas Ahnelöv - Västra Frölunda HC
Frans Nielsen - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Mathias Johansson - Färjestads BK
Kevin Marsh - Växjö Lakers
Tony Salmelainen - Lokomotiv Yaroslav
Jesper Mattsson - Färjestads BK
Andreas Johansson - SKA St. Petersburg

Last edited by calgarylen13: 07-27-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old
05-22-2008, 11:13 AM
calgarylen13

Mathias Johansson has signed a 3 year contract with Malmö today!

Danish media also reporting that Jesper Damgård is on his way to Malmö. Would be a better option on D than Byström was last year, so i'd like to see it.

I'd also like to see Andreas Johansson signed with Malmö. Rumors are suggesting its likely, and it'd just make our team a little more dangerous going into next season.

Last edited by calgarylen13: 05-22-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old
05-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Teus

Mathias Johansson feels like a good replacement for Wahlberg. Also seems like he is really looking forward to the task of bringing Malmö back to the SEL.

Wouldn't surprise me if Damgaard is announced within a couple of days too. He should be a solid addition and we really need players that shoot from the right.

Have a feeling that Andreas Johansson will end up in Russia again though.

Teus is offline   Reply With Quote