HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumour: Hackett Retiring

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 01:07 PM
JEFFRY

vCash: 500
hackett to retire ?????????

Radio-canada.ca Is Reporting Thet Hackett Would Have Agreed
To Retire

Old
02-09-2004, 01:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/7909644.htm

Yes, he will receive a medical buyout.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
02-09-2004, 02:38 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Rumour: Hackett Retiring

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...64&hubName=nhl

This certainly would free up some salary space for Burke, especially with the $1M or so that the Flyers will save with letting Weinrich go to St. Louis.

Last edited by King of Stankonia: 02-09-2004 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Posted wrong link.
Old
02-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Dr Love

Take the good with the bad.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
King of Stankonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Take the good with the bad.
Tootie? Is that you?

Old
02-09-2004, 02:55 PM
AshRaTempel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...64&hubName=nhl

This certainly would free up some salary space for Burke, especially with the $1M or so that the Flyers will save with letting Weinrich go to St. Louis.
Very classy move by Hackett to step out of the way and save the team some $$$, especially his $3 million next year.

I harbor no ill will toward Hack. He just fell of that "goalie cliff" a little earlier than anyone expected.

Old
02-09-2004, 03:45 PM
musdy

he has been struggling lately and its about time to retire best of luck to him

Old
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

i think the saddest thing about this is all the hot air that was said when Bobby Clarke stupidly signed HACKett was from some board members here thinking that Hackett was consistent or durable enough to be a starting goalie. Bobby Clarke isn't especially bright but some of the board members I expect better of

Another year, another goalie in Philly isn't panning out. and you know what...I can't wait for Burke, who doesn't exactly have stellar numbers in the playoffs, to be wrung thru the Philly fan ringer b/c I don't think Sean Burke is the solution either.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
fan mao rong

Now, I say Hackett would probably not be all that ready to play by the end of the season, regardless. If he takes a medical retirement now, he can receive around 2/3 of his salary through next year's probable lock-out. And then by the time he would be ready anyhow, he could announce his come-back. I say he made a wise decision.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch
i think the saddest thing about this is all the hot air that was said when Bobby Clarke stupidly signed HACKett was from some board members here thinking that Hackett was consistent or durable enough to be a starting goalie. Bobby Clarke isn't especially bright but some of the board members I expect better of
That was about 3 people. Many of us never wanted Hackett.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Well,it's better to rest now and make the pain go away rather than play with the pain. As much as I never liked Hack,I hope he gets better.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:29 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
good point. plus, besides a few loudmouths, i bet there were a few Montreal fans who think the waterboys for the bench are hockey gods, much less the premier goalie backup in Jeff Hackett

Old
02-09-2004, 04:40 PM
Brad*

Quote:
I'm willing to admit I thought Hackett was the best Free Agent option out there. I am also willing to admit that I take a lot of cold medication.

Anyway, if this indeed true if seems to guarantee that the Burke deal is going to happen, as if it wasn't certain enough already.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I'm willing to admit I thought Hackett was the best Free Agent option out there. I am also willing to admit that I take a lot of cold medication.
But saying that he was the best free agent option out there--which I would agree with, the market was him and Potvin--isn't the same as saying he was good enough. It's like picking the best host of The View...

Old
02-09-2004, 04:46 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33

Anyway, if this indeed true if seems to guarantee that the Burke deal is going to happen, as if it wasn't certain enough already.

personally, I think Kolzig is the better solution...but it's starting to look like either the caps want too much or Kolzig's value has dropped too much from his inconsistent play...but personally i subscribe that Kolzig for a contender would be advantageous to both the team and Kolzig. This is a man who a year ago was stellar...and who has clawed his way to the finals with the team on his back.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Why the hell didn't Clarke just pick up Cujo when he was available on waivers. Sure he's overpaid, but it's better than overpaying to get Burke.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:19 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
personally, I think Kolzig is the better solution...
Personally, I thought Hackett was the guy. Evidently, his game fell off. Just like Kolzig's game has fell off. So, to put it bluntly, Kolzig isn't the answer either.

Another year, another goalie. Just go with Esche and find a backup already. Do you guys seriously want to give up all of your prospects?

Old
02-09-2004, 05:46 PM
Malefic74

It's a pretty rotten way to end a decent career. Hackett was a model NHLer for most of the time I followed him. Starting playing a rotten expansion (San Jose), moving on to a pretty brutal established team (Chicago), moving to Montreal just in time to catch the Injury Fever that swept through Montreal about 4 or 5 years ago. The Fever moves on to LA just in time for Hack to hit Free Agency.

Throughout that entire time, I have never heard him complain about icetime, the team in front of him, coaching, fans, or even the weather. Never held out or demanded a trade even when it was clear he lost the #1 spot in Montreal. Whether many wish to acknowledge it or not, Jeff Hackett is a pretty big reason that Jose Theodore is where he is. He took the job of mentoring very seriously and has every reason to be pretty proud of his career. Unless I am mistaken he was already considering retirement last year so don't hold your breath on a comeback.

As for Kolzig. The problem with Ollie is money. He makes $6.5 million for at least another 2 years. The other issue is cost. If I'm Washington the bidding starts at with a defenceman off the roster, a prospect and a pick. With Burke you're only looking a maybe a forward off the roster and a pick. And he's only $4.5 million. And if you're trading young guys around better to go to the West than in your own conference as the Flyers will undoubtedly learn when Oullette starts suiting up for the Caps.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:59 PM
King of Stankonia

Quote:
personally, I think Kolzig is the better solution...but it's starting to look like either the caps want too much or Kolzig's value has dropped too much from his inconsistent play...but personally i subscribe that Kolzig for a contender would be advantageous to both the team and Kolzig. This is a man who a year ago was stellar...and who has clawed his way to the finals with the team on his back.
I think Olli would be a great addition to the Flyers. I certainly think that as a former Vezina winner and looking at his track record that this year is an abberation. Looking at the team in front of him, I think it's pretty safe to say that Kolzig has been left alone too many times to even call him bad. I'd take Kolzig over Burke any day.

Closed Thread