HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If the NHL had to eliminate 5 teams from the league....

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 09:47 PM
BigMac1212

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Timer
No offense to you in particular, BigMac, you just happened to remind me, but why do fans of a team that's 'on the block' --whether titled that erroneously or not--always find it necessary to point the finger at other teams when they don't know anything about the financial set-up of those teams?

P.S.: I wish that all fans would have to experience the 'back to the wall' feeling that comes with supporting a team who's future existance is perceived by the masses as non-existant. Maybe asinine threads like these wouldn't come up so often, then.
Sorry, but with Glendale Arena out, there shouldn't be talk of Phoenix getting kicked out of the NHL in the first place. With Gretzky as owner, at least it should give Phoenix the benifit the doubt of being out of the "lets kick some teams out of the league" threads around here. Sorry, but people who are saying that Phoenix needs to be kicked out, in my opinion, needs to learn that Phoenix isn't and won't be going anywhere. Man, do these people think that removing Phoenix will help? If they're upset of Winnipeg leaving, they should blame the city of Winnipeg, not Phoenix for getting the franchise. That's what I dislike. Hopefully, this will be the last thread on kicking teams out of the league.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:11 PM
DJ Spinoza

Well one of them has to be whoever's reading this favorite team.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:14 PM
Flamin' Griz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
Interesting how almost all Canadian fans want to deny the idea that Ottawa along with many of the Western Canadian teams have any financial problems.

I would certainly want all the Canadian teams to stay, but to say that Tampa would be more in danger than Ottawa is well, baseless.
What's more interesting is that you seem to think that we aren't aware of the ownership situations with our team.

Could you please clue me in on the ownership group of the Flames, their combined net worth, business interests and philosophy on NHL ownership so I can continue to deny the 'reality' that you have unwrapped in a more educated fashion? Please.

Didn't think so.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Tyrolean

Pittsburgh, Carolina, Anaheim, Florida, Nashville. Don't think hockey goes well in any sunbelt city though. Like to have Winnipeg and Quebec back at the expense of 2 US teams.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:16 PM
bleedgreen

carolina just built a new arena and are commited for a while - theyre not going anywhere. they have publicly said more than once they will not move the team. if they dont get a good cba...they may sell the team.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212
Sorry, but with Glendale Arena out, there shouldn't be talk of Phoenix getting kicked out of the NHL in the first place. With Gretzky as owner, at least it should give Phoenix the benifit the doubt of being out of the "lets kick some teams out of the league" threads around here. Sorry, but people who are saying that Phoenix needs to be kicked out, in my opinion, needs to learn that Phoenix isn't and won't be going anywhere. Man, do these people think that removing Phoenix will help? If they're upset of Winnipeg leaving, they should blame the city of Winnipeg, not Phoenix for getting the franchise. That's what I dislike. Hopefully, this will be the last thread on kicking teams out of the league.
Hey genius, wouldn't your Phoenix logic apply to Florida, Atlanta and Carolina as well, teams that also play in new arenas?

Old
02-09-2004, 09:24 AM
BigMac1212

Hey, Rhodes Scholar, those arenas already have been around for a couple of years. I wouldn't consider them "new".

Old
02-09-2004, 09:33 AM
Teezax

Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh. Nashville, Columbus

Old
02-09-2004, 09:55 AM
jacketracket*

The only one that I can think of would be the Flyers.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:04 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
The only one that I can think of would be the Flyers.
Jacketracket, did you expect them not to go near Columbus? The dopes who starts threads like this are just dopes. Don't read this trite.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:00 AM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Jacketracket, did you expect them not to go near Columbus? The dopes who starts threads like this are just dopes. Don't read this trite.
You got me; I was being a smartass.

I would HOPE that these elimination/contraction threads would simply go away---adding a new one to the half-dozen or so that were started last month probably won't reveal much new info.

I would EXPECT that those who deem it necessary to respond to these things would have some clue as to current attendance trends, profitability figures from previous seasons, etc.

Basing an answer on nothing more than a rough idea of what the standings look like at the All-Star break probably isn't a good thing for credibility.

edit: glaring spelling error!!

Last edited by jacketracket*: 02-09-2004 at 11:06 AM.
Old
02-09-2004, 11:16 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Hey, Rhodes Scholar, those arenas already have been around for a couple of years. I wouldn't consider them "new".
I guess five year old arenas just can't handle the demands modern crowds put on them.

Old
02-09-2004, 12:43 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Carolina, Anaheim, Pittsburgh. Nashville, Columbus

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

Some help for the clueless.

Edit: corrected an error in url addy

Last edited by jacketracket*: 02-09-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old
02-09-2004, 02:26 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

[QUOTE=BigMac1212]All you guys who say Phoenix needs to go infuriates me! We got a new arena. Yet you guys think that we're the 1st one on the chopping block. You guys are so wrong that it's not even funny. Give us a few years, and we will be off that list like there's no tommorow.
For Phoenix there very well could be no tomorow:p

Old
02-09-2004, 06:08 PM
BigMac1212

And there might be no tomorrow for you on this board if you make comments like that. Phoenix will continue to have a franchise. Anybody who says otherwise needs to reconsider.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2004

Some help for the clueless.

Edit: corrected an error in url addy
That's an important link especially if you sort it by home percentage. You would see that New Jersey is in the bottom 5 in that so maybe we should contract them

Old
02-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Joe Cole

It is just pitiful that Pittsburgh is on everyone's list. They were once a proud organization that had a great coahing/scouting structure. They won cups. They had people in the seats.

Then they sold themselves down the river. So much so that a former player had to "buy" the team, just to get paid the money the promised him.

Just look how they mishandled Fleury. Living in a hotel....no defensive structure....They do not even have a goaltending coach!

BTW, the city of Pittsburgh is one of the success stories. Transformed from a steel town to a high tech town, business is growing. They need new ownership. This current ownership has emptied the cookie jar once to often.

Old
02-10-2004, 10:43 PM
jerseyprospect

i wouldnt remove pittsburgh, but i'd try and sell them to an owner who would move them to another city, especially seattle. i love that city....lets see, some of my silly reasons to send the penguins to seattle....

1. already had a pro hockey team once.
2. team name could be the jets or 747s (storm would be the best name but the damn wnba took it....)
3. jets or 747s would work b/c boeing airlines has big production in seattle.
4. seattle has lots of room for another sports complex.
5. much closer to canada and the "hockey influence" than in pittsburgh.
6. would end up resulting in a division makeover in the nhl such as the entertaining-to-watch st louis blues moving to eastern conf. as a southeast division team, washington moving to atlantic division, colorado or minnesota moving to central division, and LA moving to the northwest division. all of this would result in a slight balance of "exciting" teams among the east and west conference (minnesota and st louis to east, pitt/seattle to west)

Old
02-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Sixty Six

Quote:
Since Pittsburgh is working on a new arena and mario owns it that eliminates them too then

But in all honesty this is **** stupid as **** no team is going to get contracted especially 5. Being a pens fan im passionate bout this topic, and we are well on our way to becoming a competative team again. Oh yah we made the playoffs 11 outta the past 14 years. So lets get rid of the rangers who haven't made it in 7. And we know thats not gonna happen so lets put this to topic to rest

Old
02-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Sixty Six

[QUOTE=Joe Cole] Just look how they mishandled Fleury. Living in a hotel....no defensive structure....They do not even have a goaltending coach!

Check your facts before you trash our team please... First off Fleury lived with Mario during training camp, then he was offered to live with a family (ie. mario) but he decided to live on his own. So lets make him live with someone against his will.

Secondly Lorne Mollenken was a goalie and is a coach, and he works with goalies so that makes him a goalie coach now doesn't. Just isn't his title. So maybe next time you will check your facts before you bash the pens.

Old
02-11-2004, 02:09 AM
SJPuckPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyprospect
i wouldnt remove pittsburgh, but i'd try and sell them to an owner who would move them to another city, especially seattle. i love that city....lets see, some of my silly reasons to send the penguins to seattle....

1. already had a pro hockey team once.
2. team name could be the jets or 747s (storm would be the best name but the damn wnba took it....)
3. jets or 747s would work b/c boeing airlines has big production in seattle.
4. seattle has lots of room for another sports complex.
5. much closer to canada and the "hockey influence" than in pittsburgh.
6. would end up resulting in a division makeover in the nhl such as the entertaining-to-watch st louis blues moving to eastern conf. as a southeast division team, washington moving to atlantic division, colorado or minnesota moving to central division, and LA moving to the northwest division. all of this would result in a slight balance of "exciting" teams among the east and west conference (minnesota and st louis to east, pitt/seattle to west)
Ive also enjoyed the idea of a team in Seattle, but I picked Edmonton as the team to move. Reasons being travel, and they could stay in the Northwest division. I know they put fans in the seats, but I heard they had financial difficulties real bad. Just seemed like the right fit. As for the names, the 'Jets' would be cool and I like the '747's' however thats an old bird and Boeing is discontinuing the model. (If Boeing doesnt go belly-up first). But the '777's' or 'Triple 7's' would be cool.

Old
02-11-2004, 08:47 AM
degroat*

If Seattle does get a team, I think they should name the team the Seattle Metropolitians since that's the name of the team that won the Stanley Cup in 1917.

Unfortunately, that's not trendy enough and since everyone wants to name their team with something that doesn't end with an 's' I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being named the Thunder.

Old
02-14-2004, 04:05 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Ive also enjoyed the idea of a team in Seattle, but I picked Edmonton as the team to move
YEah, lets move a team that has 98.2% crowds, and leave teams that have 2% capacity crowds.

Old
02-14-2004, 05:41 PM
SJPuckPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
YEah, lets move a team that has 98.2% crowds, and leave teams that have 2% capacity crowds.
then why has edmonton been trading away all their talent recently?

Old
02-14-2004, 08:52 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Can I contract ObeySteve?

Some argue that there are too many "which teams should be contracted," threads, and that the quality of the original "contracted" threads is watered down, compared to the glory days of the NHL.

Closed Thread