HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Two-Piece vs. One Piece

Old
04-16-2008, 06:42 PM
WithOutPaperss

vCash: 500
Two-Piece vs. One Piece

I know many people will just tell me that it's my own preference, but the matter of the fact is I like both almost equally. With the two piece I find it very easy to stick handle with but my shot is usually weak, but I very good accuracy. With the one piece I don't stick handle as well but my shot is harder and but a little less accurate.

The think I find most appealing about the two piece is that if I like the curve on the blade, instead of having to find a one piece stick with that curve everytime I want a new one, I can just transfer that blade to the next shaft I get.

So, what are other people's preferences and what do you think might be better for me.

WithOutPaperss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Balmer15

Send a message via MSN to Balmer15
get a two piece, stickhandlings more important than a shot, and the shot will come. The two piece would be more versitile, would you rather break a blade and pay 150 for a new stick, or 40 for a new blade?

Balmer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
PIMking

Or when you break your one piece you can put a blade in the broken end. Go one piece.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
RobertKron

For most models, a tapered 2 piece and a one piece stick are the same thing.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 09:43 PM
MG91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
For most models, a tapered 2 piece and a one piece stick are the same thing.
Yea most of teh sticks out there are just fused two pieces

ex: Dolomite

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Nosebleed Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Or when you break your one piece you can put a blade in the broken end. Go one piece.
This is true, I also prefer a one peice becuase it feels more balanced. You buy a one peice and it feels all nice and balanced weight between blade and shaft but when you have a seperate blade and shaft I encounter some problems with a much heavier blade then shaft.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Flyboy34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
By flipping the shaft you will be flexing a segment of the shaft that wasn't meant for it.

Flyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy34 View Post
By flipping the shaft you will be flexing a segment of the shaft that wasn't meant for it.
Not really. A majority of the "one piece" sticks on the market are fused shafts and blades. If you break the blade you can heat it up and pull out the blade and use it as a shaft. Its a pain but it can be done.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 12:09 AM
FromChaos22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Not really. A majority of the "one piece" sticks on the market are fused shafts and blades. If you break the blade you can heat it up and pull out the blade and use it as a shaft. Its a pain but it can be done.
The flex changes though.

FromChaos22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 12:23 AM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy34 View Post
LOL have you been to an IHL game most of the guys have Flipped shafts. I buy a one piece break it put a blade in it use it for roller hockey or a back up.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

one piece all day

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:36 AM
droller*

one piece if you aren't paying for them, or price isn't an option.

two piece if you want something that will last a little longer, and you're a little more economic

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:57 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromChaos22 View Post
The flex changes though.
If you're putting a new tapered blade in at the point where the old one was attached, it won't change anything. Many "one-piece" sticks are basically a two-piece stick that has been painted after the blade was attached.

Old
04-17-2008, 07:54 AM
stick9

Quote:
If you're putting a new tapered blade in at the point where the old one was attached, it won't change anything. Many "one-piece" sticks are basically a two-piece stick that has been painted after the blade was attached.
Amazing how many people don't know that.

Go with a tapered shaft/blade set up. It's the best of both worlds. You get all performance of a one piece with the versatility of a two piece set up.

I actually prefer my tapered shaft/blade set up to the one pieces I own.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
FromChaos22

Quote:
ok, sorry didn't understand that you were saying to put it in where the old blade was. All my one pieces aren't like that and the shaft actually gets thinner towards the blade, so if I were to put a new blade on, I would have to flip the stick upside down, and then the flex changes. Sorry!

Old
04-17-2008, 02:33 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
ok, sorry didn't understand that you were saying to put it in where the old blade was. All my one pieces aren't like that and the shaft actually gets thinner towards the blade, so if I were to put a new blade on, I would have to flip the stick upside down, and then the flex changes. Sorry!
Other than certain models, a lot of them are a tapered shaft, which, like you said, gets thinner towards the blade, with a blade in them, and then painted over. If you can get the broken blade out/cut off at the point where it is joined in, then you can get a blade for a tapered shaft, which is thinner than a standard blade, and insert it and it should be the same.

There are other ones that are truly made as one piece, and cutting those back to the point where a tapered blade can fit could change things up.

Old
04-17-2008, 03:47 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37 View Post
I know many people will just tell me that it's my own preference, but the matter of the fact is I like both almost equally. With the two piece I find it very easy to stick handle with but my shot is usually weak, but I very good accuracy. With the one piece I don't stick handle as well but my shot is harder and but a little less accurate.

The think I find most appealing about the two piece is that if I like the curve on the blade, instead of having to find a one piece stick with that curve everytime I want a new one, I can just transfer that blade to the next shaft I get.

So, what are other people's preferences and what do you think might be better for me.
I think your poor shot has more to do with the quality of shaft and flex. What sticks are you using?

Also, if people are still screaming "ONE PIECE STICKS ARE BETTAR TAHN 2 PICE!": See this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=498339

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 04:07 PM
stick9

Quote:
In addition to MW's response. You can usually see the fuse point on an one piece after a few uses. It's not far from the blade itself. It's more noticeable on some sticks then others.

Here is a tapered shaft. They are thinner at the connection point and longer in length then a standard.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-s...igripsr06.html

Here is an example of a tapered blade. Notice how low the connection point.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-s...ent-blade.html

Using these two together is the same as an Easton Synergy one piece stick.

Old
04-17-2008, 05:03 PM
FromChaos22

With my sticks, where it gets thinner, its solid (theres like a filling) , so you can't just stick a new blade in there, so either I am still confused about what you guys are saying, or I just didn't explain it correctly.

Old
04-17-2008, 07:34 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
With my sticks, where it gets thinner, its solid (theres like a filling) , so you can't just stick a new blade in there, so either I am still confused about what you guys are saying, or I just didn't explain it correctly.
Thats where the tenon from the blade is joined to the shaft. That can be pulled out in one way or another. If the blade breaks you have to pull the old tenon out to put a new blade in.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
MG91

Quote:
Exactly, its going to be the exact same thing if you put it in where it was broken.

Old
04-17-2008, 07:54 PM
MG91

Quote:
Its the hard foam stuff. If you take it to a HS they can drill it out and put a blade in there.

Old
04-17-2008, 08:41 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delorme View Post
I think your poor shot has more to do with the quality of shaft and flex. What sticks are you using?

Also, if people are still screaming "ONE PIECE STICKS ARE BETTAR TAHN 2 PICE!": See this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=498339
Right now I'm using a Bauer Vapor XVI with about 85-90 Flex. The only thing I dislike about tapered blade/stick is a lot of the sticks and blades I'm looking at aren't tapered, and some of the sticks I don't want are tapered.

WithOutPaperss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 07:47 AM
stick9

Quote:
That "filling" is used to cover up the seam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangelo37
Right now I'm using a Bauer Vapor XVI with about 85-90 Flex. The only thing I dislike about tapered blade/stick is a lot of the sticks and blades I'm looking at aren't tapered, and some of the sticks I don't want are tapered.
Just about every company makes tapered shaft and blades. Bauer, Easton, CCM, RBK, Mission, TPS, and Warrior all offer tapered shafts and blades. Some even make tapered wood blades.