HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden renovations

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2008, 07:21 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Dolan can pull a Wirtz for all I care.

It's amazing to think we *still* don't have the worst owner in the league.

Old
10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I knew it; Dolan is bluffing. He wants a new building. Guarantee these renovations keep on getting "delayed" until he gets the new arena he wants.
Always in the back of my mind I was thinking "this renovation is just not possible". It's a little premature, but was the whole thing posturing?

Old
10-23-2008, 09:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runnin...enovations.php

"So don't be too surprised if blue seat denizens are still getting themselves drunk the old-fashioned way for a few more seasons, at least."

MSG rennovations delayed ???
Is there a better source than a blog? They still have stuff all over the Garden regarding the renos.

Old
10-23-2008, 04:19 PM
nyrmetros

I trust a blog more than I trust MSG management any day....

Old
10-23-2008, 05:41 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I trust a blog more than I trust MSG management any day....
It's a dog & pony show over there, I was under the impression they would start working on the entrances this past summer, I get there 4 a pre-season game in September & too my dismay NO WORK HAD STARTED NOTHING,ZERO, ZLICH!
Lets face it, the Garden looks old & run down too. This Renovation is long over due.

Old
10-24-2008, 04:50 PM
nyrmetros

Old and run down is not an issue for me. Atmosphere and ticket prices are what I care about.

Old
10-24-2008, 06:32 PM
mhurley

Don't be so quick to write off the renovation. The Mayor and the City Council just voted to remove term limits. Bloomberg and the City Council President are the enemies of the Dolans. Christine Quinn was the primary instigator for removing the tax abatement the MSG enjoyed for many years and it has and will cost the Dolans millions. The Dolans pulled out of the new Penn Station/Garden deal to spite her and the Mayor.

If Bloomberg and the rest of the City Council are next re-elected, the Dolans will go through with the renovations. If they are deposed, you might see the new arena behind the Post Office.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhurley View Post
Don't be so quick to write off the renovation. The Mayor and the City Council just voted to remove term limits. Bloomberg and the City Council President are the enemies of the Dolans. Christine Quinn was the primary instigator for removing the tax abatement the MSG enjoyed for many years and it has and will cost the Dolans millions. The Dolans pulled out of the new Penn Station/Garden deal to spite her and the Mayor.

If Bloomberg and the rest of the City Council are next re-elected, the Dolans will go through with the renovations. If they are deposed, you might see the new arena behind the Post Office.
The Dolans might not have access to the money to do the renovations--it's a little hard to get banks to commit to loans and the market for commerical paper is not exactly robust.

And you can expect Bloomberg to be re-elected. He's popular enough and is planning to spend at least $80 million on his re-election compaign.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The Dolans might not have access to the money to do the renovations--it's a little hard to get banks to commit to loans and the market for commerical paper is not exactly robust.

And you can expect Bloomberg to be re-elected. He's popular enough and is planning to spend at least $80 million on his re-election compaign.
Isn't there talk that Andy Cuomo could run? Bloomberg is popular and has the deep pockets, for sure, but I wouldn't discount a Cuomo.

It's just pain.
Old
10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Isn't there talk that Andy Cuomo could run? Bloomberg is popular and has the deep pockets, for sure, but I wouldn't discount a Cuomo.
He's the NYS Attorney General--and doing quite a bit to get himself noticed nationally (McCain even threw out his name as possible head of the SEC if he's elected, although I think he has a better chance in an Obama cabinet), I seriously doubt he has any interest in running NYC during a finanical crisis and I haven't heard any rumors suggesting otherwise.

The two main contenders are/were Thompson and Weiner. Quinn was rumored as being interested, although she will just run for re-election now.

Old
10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
He's the NYS Attorney General--and doing quite a bit to get himself noticed nationally (McCain even threw out his name as possible head of the SEC if he's elected, although I think he has a better chance in an Obama cabinet), I seriously doubt he has any interest in running NYC during a finanical crisis and I haven't heard any rumors suggesting otherwise.

The two main contenders are/were Thompson and Weiner. Quinn was rumored as being interested, although she will just run for re-election now.
Hmm, I was almost certain I read a couple reports over the summer saying that Cuomo was kicking the idea around his inner circle.

That said, now that I'm out of NY, I don't pay as much attention to that political scene--I'm too busy whining and dining national politicos in DC! Which is actually a horrible thing to have to do.

Old
10-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Maybe, but I never saw anything suggesting it. As far as I know, he's always aspired to more national positions. I think he has a much better chance of going to Washington than running for anything in NYC.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:14 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Maybe, but I never saw anything suggesting it. As far as I know, he's always aspired to more national positions. I think he has a much better chance of going to Washington than running for anything in NYC.
Cuomo Won't hold any office higher than Govenor, maybe a cabnie spot in a future administration, there are too many vowels in his last name, His Father had to deal with the same crap.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Cuomo Won't hold any office higher than Govenor, maybe a cabnie spot in a future administration, there are too many vowels in his last name, His Father had to deal with the same crap.
I think he would have a good chance of running for the Senate, although from what I know of him, he's much more into implimenting policy, rather than creating it. I doubt very much he's interested in running for President.

And it wasn't very long ago, people said a black or a woman couldn't become President too.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:30 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
I think he would have a good chance of running for the Senate, although from what I know of him, he's much more into implimenting policy, rather than creating it. I doubt very much he's interested in running for President.

And it wasn't very long ago, people said a black or a woman couldn't become President too.
Senate is a possiblity, it would be a tough election for him & I think his style would be more suited fot Govenor, he is not nearly as laid back as his Father was, or seemed to be anyway.

I remember back in 92 was it? When Mario really agionized over running for President, in the end he knew all the crap would come out true or not & his heart just wasn't in it.

I wouldn't care if we had a black, women or a Green Alien for President. If the person or enity was Honest hardworking, experianced & knows how to communicate I would vote for them.

Old
10-25-2008, 08:29 AM
mhurley

Quote:

Good point about the access to private funding.

All the more reason for the City to play ball with the Dolans and vice versa. To stimulte the City's economy, the Mayor and the CC could float a bond issue for a new area and the revitaliztion of Penn Station. It would be the perfect combination of public and private funding to get it done. Think of the jobs this construction would create.

Problem is all the bad blood between Bloomberg, Quinn and the Dolans. I think the removal of term limits is a bad thing. I'm surprised Quinn is still there after all the talk of her financial malfeasance.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Federal funds are going to pay for much of the cost of the new train station. I would be completely against public funding for a new private arena and I think most people would be against too, given the economic situation and what it has done and will do to the City and the State's finances over the next several years.

Dolan wants a new MSG, let him pay for it.

Old
10-25-2008, 02:17 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Federal funds are going to pay for much of the cost of the new train station. I would be completely against public funding for a new private arena and I think most people would be against too, given the economic situation and what it has done and will do to the City and the State's finances over the next several years.

Dolan wants a new MSG, let him pay for it.
I agree, i'm tired of all the public funding for new Stadiums & Arenas. Howeever tax breaks & incentives are fine.

Old
11-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Gravesno9

The Garden Renovation

With a $500 million dollar renovation to be completed in 2011, how isn't construction NOT gonna affect going to the games? If you watch the video on msg.com, the building company says that they are gonna do most of the work during the off-season. But thats only 3 months at a clip (that is if the Rangers or Knicks don't make it deep into the playoffs...well not the Knicks)....If you view the gallery, this is a serious facelift...I just don't get how they are gonna do all this work without affecting the games, seating (probably less seating for a while), etc.....This is major reconstruction. Any thoughts?

Old
11-04-2008, 10:45 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=534345

Old
11-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Gravesno9

Thanks...missed that thread

Old
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
No prob, buddy. I'm excited to see how they're going to pull this off as well.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Now they're all one thread.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Celestial Black

Good good good...I really can't wait to see how it looks.

Old
11-11-2008, 08:51 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Apparently the talks of renovations have changed quite a bit. The Liberty STH were told they are playing at MSG this summer, contrary to the original plan of them getting displaced. If we take MSG at their word something clearly has changed in the overall plan.

I heard last night that there have been more discussions between MSG and NJSEA to move the Rangers to the Izod center for next season so the renovations could be done in one year.

Obviously there is no source for this (yet). Has anyone else heard rumblings?

Closed Thread