HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC's Scott Moore and Habs Coverage

Old
04-16-2008, 11:39 PM
dosmaster

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to dosmaster
CBC's Scott Moore and Habs Coverage

What a joke:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/moore/2008/...really_do.html

My comments have been posted yet but estentially I told him that major changes need to be made before we Habs fans (who do not speak French) move away from RDS.

dosmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2008, 11:48 PM
les3couleurs

His first two points are right and he might technically be right on the third. Don Cherry is not anti-Montreal, but there is not doubt he dislikes the Canadiens. He likes some of the players, but he just can't bring himself to root them on too much, even when they are the last canadian team left. I have no problem with him not liking the Habs, but they should make him tone down the Bruins perspective a bit all the time.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Guy Germaine

AHHH.... of course, it's the daily " CBC sux thread"!

I watch CBC any chance I get, because I prefer watching in english over french.

Guy Germaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Much like an official calling an even-up penalty, I felt like Don Cherry was going out of his way to be pro-habs last night. An even-up Coach's Corner you could say. The way he went on about Price was possible because the hockey media is Price crazy now, but then he did a segment on Brisebois and his goal. That was over the top for me. Something isn't right is what I immediately thought.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
His first two points are right and he might technically be right on the third. Don Cherry is not anti-Montreal, but there is not doubt he dislikes the Canadiens. He likes some of the players, but he just can't bring himself to root them on too much, even when they are the last canadian team left. I have no problem with him not liking the Habs, but they should make him tone down the Bruins perspective a bit all the time.
Especially when the Ruins are loosing and Cherry goes "Go Bees!!" and Ron just looks away ashamed with a -what a weirdo!- smile on his face... (I think that was game 1 or 2).

Cherry and Stock are truly biased towards the Bruins... and the rest are hockey fans first, why not get some ex-Habs players like Damphousse or someone else, just to level the playing field.

And most English fans are right. HINC was too much pro-Leafs and jumped on the Habs bandwagon this year because the team was far better than the Laffs... I wonder what would've happened if the Leafs finished in the top 8, along with Ottawa and Montreal and none of them would've met in the 1st round, would we see all Habs games in the 1st round? I doubt it.

And in this series, truly noted a favorism towards Boston beating Montreal. Might just be their hope of a long matchup... who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHab View Post
Much like an official calling an even-up penalty, I felt like Don Cherry was going out of his way to be pro-habs last night. An even-up Coach's Corner you could say. The way he went on about Price was possible because the hockey media is Price crazy now, but then he did a segment on Brisebois and his goal. That was over the top for me. Something isn't right is what I immediately thought.

And coincidently, he did that just one day before Scott Moore makes this communique. Did The Don get some orders from above??

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Mustafa*

Seriously i have watched every Hockey Nights in Canada that broacasted Habs games and i never tought it was anti-Montreal or anti-Habs. Maybe if i was pointed out at every time they did something wrong i would think differently, but to my own understanding it was a regular canadian hockey show with interesting, most of the times, Habs analysis. But i agree that sometimes they were talking to people like if they didn't know anything about the CH or like it was the first time they heard about a hockey team in Montreal.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:58 AM
HomaridII

IMO the thing that hurts CBC the most is Mr. Cole. He is a broadcasting legend, but is way past his prime. Clearly he doesn't have the league wide knowledge anymore and that is irritating. Anybody who has watched CBC's coverage of Pittsburgh - Ottawa or seen the late games notices the HUGE difference between Hughson and Cole.

And hiring P.J Stock wasn't a brilliant move either IMO. There are MUCH better analysts out there who would be more objective and offer better insight. Just within their own team, Kelly Hrudey, is a TON better than P.J.

I expect Bob Cole to retire after this season, I hope so anyone and I really really look forward to listen to Jim Hughson, who I think is brilliant, best in the business right now.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs View Post
There is a pretty good pile of evidnece though that Don is anti-French to a certain degree.

04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Habs

Ohhh.. I wonder if my reply will be posted :

""This is crazy. We show EVERY Canadian team in the playoffs."

Stretching the story a bit, aren't we? If the Leafs were in the Playoffs, the entire country would be subjected to Leaf Nation, with only NFLD and Quebec being able to watch Les Habitants.

"This year, we had 19 Habs games on Hockey Night in Canada. That’s up from 13 last year. (And we’d really love to do more next season)."

Of those 19 games, how many were against Toronto? Thats right, 8. So, you only broadcast 11 Montreal games nationally when the Leaf's weren't involved. 11 games from the best team in Canada... hmm.. your story isn't holding much water.

Scott Moore, you may be a Habs fan but the CBC is clearly only interested in one team, one market and little else."

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Bullsmith

If CBC wants my support back, they have to stop pretending they haven't been Leafs Night in Canada since Dick Irvin retired.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
AHHH.... of course, it's the daily " CBC sux thread"!

I watch CBC any chance I get, because I prefer watching in english over french.
Daily thread apply, because they suck - daily.

Go ahead and makes changes, CBC. I'll come back to you if you practice what you preach. Until then, it's RDS*.

*RDS - Far better than the public school system for promoting bilingualism.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
IMO the thing that hurts CBC the most is Mr. Cole. He is a broadcasting legend, but is way past his prime. Clearly he doesn't have the league wide knowledge anymore and that is irritating. Anybody who has watched CBC's coverage of Pittsburgh - Ottawa or seen the late games notices the HUGE difference between Hughson and Cole.

And hiring P.J Stock wasn't a brilliant move either IMO. There are MUCH better analysts out there who would be more objective and offer better insight. Just within their own team, Kelly Hrudey, is a TON better than P.J.

I expect Bob Cole to retire after this season, I hope so anyone and I really really look forward to listen to Jim Hughson, who I think is brilliant, best in the business right now.

And Lo and Behold... Hughson is on the Pittsburg/Ottawa matchup....

I'm willing to bet he'll be covering Pittsburg in the second round and Cole will remain on the Habs coverage... yet another example of how the Habs are secondary to CBC. Their useful only for the ratings when their beloved Laffs are out of the playoffs.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:12 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
And Lo and Behold... Hughson is on the Pittsburg/Ottawa matchup....

I'm willing to bet he'll be covering Pittsburg in the second round and Cole will remain on the Habs coverage... yet another example of how the Habs are secondary to CBC. Their useful only for the ratings when their beloved Laffs are out of the playoffs.
Thats the part that REALLY irritated me. You send your best color man to Pitt - Ottawa when clearly the ratings boost would come from Habs - Bruins ...

I am not sure Moore has the balls to send make Cole no.2 in the pecking order at CBC right now, clearly right now its Bob Cole no.1, Hughson no.2 and that is KILLING them. I am convinced a LOT of fans would come back if Hughson was the color man, the man is brilliant.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I watch it out of tradition and also because I can watch it for free on the web right now while at work!!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Thats the part that REALLY irritated me. You send your best color man to Pitt - Ottawa when clearly the ratings boost would come from Habs - Bruins ...

I am not sure Moore has the balls to send make Cole no.2 in the pecking order at CBC right now, clearly right now its Bob Cole no.1, Hughson no.2 and that is KILLING them. I am convinced a LOT of fans would come back if Hughson was the color man, the man is brilliant.
I'd be very pleased about that.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
Orange

Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The public court has come to a decision and the masses judged the CBC guilty.

Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHab View Post
1-They've admitted to losing viewers to RDS.
2-They're getting letters from anglos who have made the switch as to why.
3-They're getting bashed all over the place by not only Habs fans, but non-Leaf fans all over Canada. Seriously. People are like, ***, a Canadian team is doing well why can't we see it, *******s?
4-Even Macleans joined in, when, much earlier in the season, they featured CBC's insistence on overcovering the oversucky Leafs under the "Bad News" column on their weekly roundup-type page.
5-They get people like us bashing them all over the internets.

Yeah, I think Cherry got called into someone's office for the **** talk. I think Scott Moore got called into someone's office for the **** talk. I think there was a meeting and everybody involved got the **** talk. It must have been big for them to actually do something (even if it was something we can all see right through).

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
HomaridII

BTW lol the comments from readers on the blog are VERY interesting.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

I always thought CBC was biased towards the Leafs but last year, when we played our last game of the season against the Leafs was the last straw. The broadcast starts with Cherry wearing a Leaf blue suit surrounded by Leafs fans cheering Go Leafs Go, saying "we have to take it to them early, we have to get to Huet, blah blah blah. "We". I didn't realize there was only 1 Canadian team playing that night, what a disaster CBC has become.

The CBC doesn't have to stroke our ego like Cherry was blatantly doing last night, just be unbiased, analyze the game in front of you (enough with Savy's freaking stick for Price sake), and give credit where credit is due. I really do enjoy watching RDS but as an Anglo-Franco-Italian I look forward to the English broadcasts as it is my first language.

Anyways I hope The Score is getting the Habs english games next year.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
There is a pretty good pile of evidnece though that Don is anti-French to a certain degree.
Which is a shame because I really like the old fart. I think he is entertaining, but not only that. He is really knowledgeable about the game and is a passionate guy. I don't know where the Quebecois hate comes from, but I am sure if I was to meet him in a street or something, we would have a nice discussion.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:35 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
Which is a shame because I really like the old fart. I think he is entertaining, but not only that. He is really knowledgeable about the game and is a passionate guy. I don't know where the Quebecois hate comes from, but I am sure if I was to meet him in a street or something, we would have a nice discussion.
6 words: Too many men on the ice.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licou View Post
If he'd met me, we'd have a nice conversation too, and then you'd see him all black with feathers everywhere.

Old
04-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Habs8517

good job
keep blasting those losers at cbc

i watched the habs-bruins serie on cbc and the coverage is really bad
pro-bruins all the way
they might as well rename it to hockey night in boston

Habs8517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
1-They've admitted to losing viewers to RDS.
2-They're getting letters from anglos who have made the switch as to why.
3-They're getting bashed all over the place by not only Habs fans, but non-Leaf fans all over Canada. Seriously. People are like, ***, a Canadian team is doing well why can't we see it, *******s?
4-Even Macleans joined in, when, much earlier in the season, they featured CBC's insistence on overcovering the oversucky Leafs under the "Bad News" column on their weekly roundup-type page.
5-They get people like us bashing them all over the internets.

Yeah, I think Cherry got called into someone's office for the **** talk. I think Scott Moore got called into someone's office for the **** talk. I think there was a meeting and everybody involved got the **** talk. It must have been big for them to actually do something (even if it was something we can all see right through).
That's me. I am an Italian-Canadian living in Vancouver so it difficult for me to understand French. However, I have been forced from a very young age to watch the Habs in French and have obtained enough of a vocabulary that I can read the articles on RDS and understand, for the most part, the announcers on RDS. In an indirect way the CBC has enabled me to have to learn a bit of Canada's other official language. What a conspiracy .

As for the CBC broadcasts, I no longer watch them. Their praise for the Habs seems insincere whenever they do praise them. This series was the last straw for me. I started watching it on CBC but the biases were too much to handle: Don Cherry and PJ Stock (why does the latter even have a job?). No need to expatiate on what it is that they said because we all know what it was.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Templeton

Comments are funny to read and most of them are darn right.

Quote:
(ps Here's an idea for how to win Habs fans back- Maybe Don Cherry could show 15 year old footage of Alex Kovalev diving over and over and over again. Or maybe you could get our favorite local full-time habs basher PJ stock to represent Montreal on HNIC.)
I don't understand why they asked PJ to talk about this series. Can't find anyone more suited for this ?

Quote:
No one is asking for you guys to cheer for the Habs outright, but a little objectivity (instead of the token Muller love from Cherry) and quality (Hughson/Simpson as the announcers instead of the tired Bob Cole/Millen combo) in your broadcasts is not too much to ask for.

Last edited by Templeton: 04-17-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote