HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov under-appreaciated???

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 07:24 AM

vCash: 500
Markov under-appreaciated???

Whenever someone mentions any trade rumors involving Ryan Smyth or Jeff O'Neill most people on this board are more than willing to send Markov the other way, I don't understand this...If it were this time last year nobody would ever mention Markov's name in any trade rumour (fickle fans we are!), I remember last year he was an untouchable by most here, including me, but because he's struggled a bit this year, were now ready to deal him?
He has been playing like much better lately, were seeing glimpses of his world class talent once again. I'm sure he's held in high regard throughout the league among other GM's and i'm sure they have inquired about his availability...If there is any truth to the Ryan Smyth deal, i'm sure and I hope it dosen't involve Markov, reportedly Kevin Lowe is looking for a puck moving d-man who can help out on the PP, Kevin Lowe likes to take underacheiving youngsters to bulid his team, if this trade is to go down it will include Hainsey and not Markov, and possibly another young player (Milroy?).
This might sound crazy to some of you but I wouldn't trade Markov for Smyth straight up! I've always thought Ryan Smyth was somewhat overrated, he's a very good player, not a first line player but an elite second line player, but I admit he would look good in a Habs uniform but not at any price like most posters on this board have said...
I may be a bit bias towards Markov as he is one of my favorite Habs, it's just that, in close to 17 years of being a Habs fan, scratch that, a Hockey fan, I haven't seen many players with as much natural talent and hockey sense as Markov has at least from the d-man position...
I think that if ever the Habs were to trade Markov, we as Hab fans would end up regretting that day for a loooooonnnnnggggg time, IMO.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I agree markov is on my untouchable list ! no way we trade him !! nevah

Old
02-09-2004, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
I agree markov is on my untouchable list ! no way we trade him !! nevah
I know he's on mine too, it's easy how some fans forget the kind of season he had last year not only offensively but defensively as well, if both Souray and Markov are at the top of their game they make our D soooo much better, and by trading Markov we strengthen one area (1st line) by weakening an other (d-men) just look at the Rangers for example, it dosen't work!

Old
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
Darz

I think with Souray's emergance this year combined with Markov's struggles has knocked down Markov's appeal in alot of fans eyes. In alot of respects it isn't fair, but I think the concern some fans have is, was last year the real Markov that we can expect to see in the future, or is the Markov this year more the future one???
I would think that Markov still has high value in managements eyes, and doubt BG is looking to move him, but when fans see a player struggle a bit and another at his position rocket up to all-star status it is just natural for those kind of discussions to come up.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:39 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Whenever someone mentions any trade rumors involving Ryan Smyth or Jeff O'Neill most people on this board are more than willing to send Markov the other way, I don't understand this...
I don't think it is most posters, just a vocal minority. Most posters realize that there is no LD in the minors who can effectively fill Markov's spot. Hainsey just isn't ready for that kind of responsibility; Gainey practically said as much when he sent him down last time. Markov also has star potential, so trading him would probably come back to haunt us one day.

Old
02-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
I cringe everytime I see Habs fans proposing deals with Markov involved.

We can't afford to deal him right now. We just can't. He's our best puck mover from the blueline and the thought of a Souray-Bouillon-Dykhuis or Hainsey LD in the playoffs is just so scary.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Tricolore#20

I would hate to see Markov moved. It's easy to forget the great season he had last year. And plus with the re-emergence of Souray, lot of people don't think of Markov, when thinking about our top defenseman.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Guy Caballero

Markov isn't going anywhere. Gainey even cited him in his list of players who've impressed him this year. Markov is having some problems this season, but the talent is there and he is still young.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:54 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Markov isn't going anywhere. Gainey even cited him in his list of players who've impressed him this year. Markov is having some problems this season, but the talent is there and he is still young.
MARKOV on top of his game is our best defenseman period
NO TRADE

Old
02-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
MARKOV on top of his game is our best defenseman period
NO TRADE
When Souray is on his game he's better than Markov , and that's why he's an All-Star . Markov is damn good but he's not our #1 .

Old
02-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
When Souray is on his game he's better than Markov , and that's why he's an All-Star . Markov is damn good but he's not our #1 .

What makes it difficult is we haven't seen both at their best at the same time and thus, you are making a pretty big assumption. Souray being an All-Star means ZILCH. Its nice, but the fact we saw Keith Primeau there diludes any sort of achievement.

Souray is number one this year for his consistent play, but Markov was just as stellar the year before.

I honestly have no clue who is better when on top of their game, simply because Markov has not reached full potential yet either, nor has Souray played a full year at his current level.

I am just happy to have to solid, young defenseman.

Old
02-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Souray is number one this year for his consistent play, but Markov was just as stellar the year before.

I honestly have no clue who is better when on top of their game, simply because Markov has not reached full potential yet either, nor has Souray played a full year at his current level.
No way. Markov and Norris were never mentioned in the same breath last year. Just about everyone has been talking up Souray this year, even folks who don't normally talk about the Habs. Souray at the top of his game represents the total package, a true number-one defenseman. Markov, at his best, has been a solid second-pairing guy. I think he could still improve, though.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
No way. Markov and Norris were never mentioned in the same breath last year. Just about everyone has been talking up Souray this year, even folks who don't normally talk about the Habs. Souray at the top of his game represents the total package, a true number-one defenseman. Markov, at his best, has been a solid second-pairing guy. I think he could still improve, though.

The Souray and Norris talks were absolutely ridiculous, hate to say that, but its true. He is in no, way shape or form, in the same breath as Pronger, Blake, Jovanovski, Lidstrom, etc... The fact is, he like Markov of last year, his play has slipped during the second half, largely IMO do to too much ice time in what he isn't used to.

Souray has been very good this year, and is the number one currently, but both at there top of their games we won't see for a few more years, thus it is ridiculous to make such statements.

Also, the differences are huge between this year and last year. Theodore is much much better, and the team is much better. And the most important, WINNING. Winning brings media attention, which leads to awareness. Markov didn't get the same treatment because people were focusing on how Theodore was a one hit wonder, how Audette and Czerkawski stunk out the joint, and how the once proud franchise was overpayed and not producing. Markov's point totals might not be Souray's but his plus/minus was significantly better on a worse team meanwhile he played against top lines last year.

These are not shots against Souray, its just how quickly people have forgotten how good Markov was last year, and how much potential he still has.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
You have no idea how much I disagree with this statement. Souray is physical, Souray can skate and he can shoot but his hockey sense and smarts are very questionnable. He has no idea what to do on offense, this year is a fluke IMO, a bunch of lucky points and goals. Not saying he wasn't valuable, he's a player I like very much, but this kind of output will never be seen from him again probably. I see him top at 10/15 goals and 30/35 points. Besides, I've never seen Sheldon dominate a game, hes been a presence but not the player you look at during the whole game. Markov, on the other hand, did that during the whole first half of last season, he was incredible, he showed a tons of talent and I still have one game in mind(though I don't remember it was against who) where he really dictated the play and gave us the victory. Hes tremendously smart and his offensive talent is as good as any, he just needs confidence. I my mind, he's still our future 1st pairing LD.

Closed Thread