HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

BurkeGate - Day 3 (Monday)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 07:26 AM
hbk

vCash: 500
BurkeGate - Day 3 (Monday)

Just heard a piece of an interview with Roenick on the Fan 590 saying how great it was that the Flyers have acquired both Radivojevic and Sean Burke and how sad it was to see Mike (Comrie) go.

Talk of Eager or Sjostrom heading the other way doesn't make me happy. I'm confident that Sjostrom isn't going but I'd like to keep Eager. Of course I have to laugh at the comments complimenting how great a prospect Eager is. Excuse me? We've been ridiculed since July 02 for selecting him in the first round. Actually, we were ridiculed for Sjostrom as well.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:33 AM
VaFlyer

As a Flyer fan, I would take either Eager or Sjostrom. Sjostrom has 2nd line potential and with our trading of Williams he fills a need for a young winger. As for Eager, if what I read about him is correct, I like him as a prospect. He is big and could really develop into a defensive stopper at wing if he worked at it. A 3rd line checking winger. I'll take it. I don't at this point believe the deal is finalized and may be getting bigger by the minute. We shall see soon enough. IMO, the trade has to come before the Flyers play the Devils on Tuesday. They don't want to play "Frank" Nittimaki against the Debs, and if Comrie is really involved and knows it they won't want him to play either.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I wonder if it is a defense prospect. After all Philly have now traded away most of their depth in defense and getting one back would redress that. Hope it isnt Matt Jones.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:37 AM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
Just heard a piece of an interview with Roenick on the Fan 590 saying how great it was that the Flyers have acquired both Radivojevic and Sean Burke and how sad it was to see Mike (Comrie) go.

Talk of Eager or Sjostrom heading the other way doesn't make me happy. I'm confident that Sjostrom isn't going but I'd like to keep Eager. Of course I have to laugh at the comments complimenting how great a prospect Eager is. Excuse me? We've been ridiculed since July 02 for selecting him in the first round. Actually, we were ridiculed for Sjostrom as well.
I would really question the management of the franchise if Sjostrom was going anywhere. I doubt he will be traded. Would the Coyotes trade Eager? Not impossible but I would be surprised as Eager has got all the features the Coyotes like in a player. He is physical, gritty with decent skills.
As in every team, There are so many prospects in the franchise anyway ( i don't say good prospects, just prospects) that it could be anyone.
This whole trade speculation is just hilariously exhausting. I think Burke is well bubble-wrapped by now!

Old
02-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I think Radivojevic is the real replacement for Williams.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:54 AM
PhoPhan

After a very smug weekend, I'm starting to get nervous.

Old
02-09-2004, 09:08 AM
ducky

Considering the names - excepting Burke - are all specualtion yu goota love that Sjostroms' name all of a sudden appears.

IMO IF the deal is happening as rumoured and IF Phoenix is adding a prospect to even things out I supsect it would be one of our dmen prospects like Bezina or Wilson?

Old
02-09-2004, 09:17 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
IMO IF the deal is happening as rumoured and IF Phoenix is adding a prospect to even things out I supsect it would be one of our dmen prospects like Bezina or Wilson?
One can only hope. If Sjostrom is dealt, I will likely be brought to tears.

Old
02-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Trading Sjostrom after the effort they went to in order to get him doesnt sound right. Eager doesnt project that well so he's obviously tradeable. Though all I have seen concerning Sjostrom is wishful thinking by Philly fans. It makes little sense for Philly to acquire Sjostrom "to replace Williams" when they already have a replacement in the deal called Branko Radivojevic who is a better option right now.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:14 AM
eye

This won't come as a suprise to most of you but I wouldn't trade Radivojevic for Comrie straight up let alone including Burke in the deal. I would have held out for Lundmark and Purriton from NY. Until the NHL changes the style of game from favouring tall lanky clutch and grab hockey players back to the skill game that allows starts to be stars guys like Comrie will continue to struggle. Comrie played well at first with the wide open style Oilers team and his play has steadily tailed off. In the playoffs he has 2 goals in 12 games because of the tight checking. He does have 1st line skills but lacks vision or a willingnesss to share the puck and the NHL game won't allow the Comries of the world to succeed.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:27 AM
AshRaTempel

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
He does have 1st line skills but lacks vision or a willingnesss to share the puck and the NHL game won't allow the Comries of the world to succeed.
Comrie lacks vision? Hardly. He lacks a number of things (defensive intensity, experience and modesty among them) but vision is not one of them. He sees the ice superbly and is a tremendous passer, even playing at LW as he is now.

Other than that, I mostly agree with you. I look at the deal as rumored as Seidenberg for Burke and Comrie for Radivojevic and I'm mostly satisfied... the possibility of another prospect coming from Pho doesn't hurt either.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:39 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye
He does have 1st line skills but lacks vision or a willingnesss to share the puck and the NHL game won't allow the Comries of the world to succeed.
If Comrie has only two things, they are his superb vision and his excellent passing skills.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Gwyddbwyll

I agree.. Comrie isnt a player I want to trade for.

However I'd trade Radivojevic for Perry + 1st in a flash. Its not going to happen but I would be a very happy man if we could flip Comrie to Anaheim for that package.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
I agree.. Comrie isnt a player I want to trade for.

However I'd trade Radivojevic for Perry + 1st in a flash. Its not going to happen but I would be a very happy man if we could flip Comrie to Anaheim for that package.
I don't think Comrie would be traded 3 times in one season. It isn't even definite that it'll happen twice. He's not Wade Brookbank.

As for Anaheim, I'd like that package more for the 1st rounder than Perry.

Although, on second thought, how about this?

To Philly: Burke, Anaheim's 2nd rounder, Phoenix's 3rd rounder
To Phoenix: Perry, Anaheim's 1st, Seidenberg
To Anaheim: Comrie, Radivojevic

Old
02-09-2004, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
FYI, Wilson is 29 years old, a journeyman defenseman, not a prospect :-)

Old
02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Digger12

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...E-181ACDD4C9F3

Sounds like it's very close to happening...it does mention a possibility of Clarke wanting Phoenix to pick up a portion of Burke's salary next year (4.7M).

I tell ya, if this deal goes through Rexall Place is going to be a madhouse March 2.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:57 AM
blah

Exactly how tall is Branko? 6', 6'1, 6'4?

Old
02-09-2004, 11:00 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
FYI, Wilson is 29 years old, a journeyman defenseman, not a prospect :-)
He's also out injured now, it may be an elbow injury don't know for sure, but it's not supposed to be long term like Tselios (neck) who might be out 6 weeks or so.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Exactly how tall is Branko? 6', 6'1, 6'4?
He's listed around 6'2" 205 lbs but as the cliche goes, he plays bigger.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:21 AM
eye

ok, maybe he doesn't lack vision but there are many times he shoud share the puck and he over handles the puck until he loses it or the scoring option is shut down. Perry is too slow to be an effective NHL player. Awkard skater and very slight. He's not even considered a good skater in the major junior level. This years draft is no screeming h'''' so I wouldn't be too happy to just get a 1st pick. I would take either Carter or Richards from Philly for Burke and Branko.

Old
02-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Weinrich to St.Louis from Philly for futures.. interesting..

Old
02-09-2004, 01:30 PM

Quote:
My take on it is that it's a salary dump. I was likelise intriqued when I saw it, especially where the market for defensemen seemed greater than that, albeit Weinrich is not a guy a lot of teams are tripping over themselves to acquire at this point either.

A very interesting time right now watching things unravel. Seems odd to me that Barnett denied a deal was near, yet Gretzky was telling Philly players, who then in told the media, that he traded Burke to Philly. Where's the third ring?

Old
02-09-2004, 01:33 PM
ducky

Just a hunch...the deal is off because Anaheim has offered Giguere and Carney to Philly.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:34 PM
BladesofSteel21

Quote:
Flyers website reporting it's a 5th rd pk in 2004, maybe the flyers transfer this pick
as part of a Burke deal.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:36 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
My take on it is that it's a salary dump. I was likelise intriqued when I saw it, especially where the market for defensemen seemed greater than that, albeit Weinrich is not a guy a lot of teams are tripping over themselves to acquire at this point either.

A very interesting time right now watching things unravel. Seems odd to me that Barnett denied a deal was near, yet Gretzky was telling Philly players, who then in told the media, that he traded Burke to Philly. Where's the third ring?
To be fair, Roenick claims to have overheard Gretzky telling Messier.

Closed Thread