HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BurkeGate - Day 3 (Monday)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Diesel

vCash: 500
Burke, Radivojvic, and Shjostrom for Comrie, Seidenberg, and 2 picks is even.

Burke is a solid (at least some people think so- I'm not one of them), but he is old. This diminishes his value. The most valuable player right now involved in this trade would be Comrie (taking age and talent into consideration). He has already been a 30 goal scorer, and would have been a 30 goal scorer twice over if he weren't injured last year. He is also only 23 years old. Shjostrom is a great prospect, but he is still only a prospect. As much as you Coyotes fans think that this would be a terrible trade, most fans on the Flyers board were TWICE as upset when the news broke that it would be Comrie + Seidenberg for Burke and Radivojvic. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, but Radivojvic is hardly compensation for Comrie in our eyes. You may think he's great- and i'm not denying that he is a nice player, but IMO he's just a younger version of Ruslan Fedotenko.

Burke + Shjostrom = Comrie

Radivojvic = Seidenberg + a 2nd and 3rd rounder

Old
02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
Just a hunch...the deal is off because Anaheim has offered Giguere and Carney to Philly.
To acquire Giguere and Carney, the Flyers would have to give core pieces of their team (ie Gagne, etc) along with prospects and/or picks. I don't think the Ducks are going to want just prospects and picks for assets like that. To get Burke, they don't have to break up the team.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:45 PM
Hordichuk_24

Word is now, the Coyotes are asking for Vandermeer instead of Seidenberg. That is why the deal is off for now...

Old
02-09-2004, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
Word is now, the Coyotes are asking for Vandermeer instead of Seidenberg. That is why the deal is off for now...
Not sure who I would prefer, but both are solid guys on the blueline for their age. We really need one of each a puck moving rearguard as well as a physical stay at home type, so we are in a good position to just take on any defense.

Giggy isn't getting moved, I could see how it would happen, but I don't think Anaheim will blow it up already. They messed enough with chemistry in the offseason, the more moves they make re-build that team, and they should be able to rebound in time.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I saw that rumor. I've not seen Vandermeer play.. anyone got info on him? I thought Seidenberg was a better prospect though and I really like what he would add to our young defense.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:02 PM
blah

Seidenberg is done for the year, Vandermeer is not. The Flyers want to keep 8 dmen at all times. If they trade Vandermeer they'll be down to 7 for the playoffs.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Burke, Radivojvic, and Shjostrom for Comrie, Seidenberg, and 2 picks is even.

Burke is a solid (at least some people think so- I'm not one of them), but he is old. This diminishes his value. The most valuable player right now involved in this trade would be Comrie (taking age and talent into consideration). He has already been a 30 goal scorer, and would have been a 30 goal scorer twice over if he weren't injured last year.
I disagree. He was not on course for a repeat of his 30 goal season. If his injuries were hampering him THAT bad, he shouldnt have been playing. Besides I'd take the two way 20 goalscorer over him so I dont perceive his value as being as high as a "30 goalscorer" implies. Just my personal opinion.. I know many disagree.

Quote:
He is also only 23 years old. Shjostrom is a great prospect, but he is still only a prospect. As much as you Coyotes fans think that this would be a terrible trade, most fans on the Flyers board were TWICE as upset when the news broke that it would be Comrie + Seidenberg for Burke and Radivojvic. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, of course, but Radivojvic is hardly compensation for Comrie in our eyes. You may think he's great- and i'm not denying that he is a nice player, but IMO he's just a younger version of Ruslan Fedotenko.
Hey dont knock Fedotenko.. he got you Pitkanen Yes there are lots of similarities... both real fan favorites.

Quote:
Burke + Shjostrom = Comrie

Radivojvic = Seidenberg + a 2nd and 3rd rounder
What makes me uncomfortable about this proposal is that we are giving up two guys who are both strong 2-way players. Comrie, to put it politely, is not. We already had a player VERY similar to him in Briere and it did not work out. Value wise it looks reasonable I agree. I just dont like the disruption to our team or the risk of trading Sjostrom.. I'd prefer to put in Eager or Koreis instead and drop the picks if that's what it takes. Comrie is a one-dimensional player, I'd rather give one-dimensional prospects back.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshRaTempel
the possibility of another prospect coming from Pho doesn't hurt either.
Sjostrom isnt just a prospect, hes the closest thing to a superstar this organisation has. Hes got tremendous skill, but lacks experience and he doesnt quite utilize his speed as much as he should. Comrie vs Sjostrom is a wash IMO, we gain short term (possibly, hes not a garuntee) and sacrifice one of our young players. (whos cheap ATM, and has a decent chance at becoming very good)

Philly fans feel the same about comrie, but Philly unlike Phoenix, needs to sacrifice for the here and now.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
PhoPhan

I'd much rather have Seidenberg over Vandermeer.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Gwyddbwyll

"superstar" ?

I know semantically you're correct. He is our best prospect, ergo he is the closest thing we have to a potential superstar. But that word is just going to make people spontaneously combust.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Not sure who I would prefer, but both are solid guys on the blueline for their age. We really need one of each a puck moving rearguard as well as a physical stay at home type, so we are in a good position to just take on any defense.

Giggy isn't getting moved, I could see how it would happen, but I don't think Anaheim will blow it up already. They messed enough with chemistry in the offseason, the more moves they make re-build that team, and they should be able to rebound in time.
I'll take Vandermeer. Perfect replacement for Todd Simpson. Management realized they made a mistake there. He is still real young, very tough, good solid stay at home defenseman.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:12 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
What makes me uncomfortable about this proposal is that we are giving up two guys who are both strong 2-way players. Comrie, to put it politely, is not. We already had a player VERY similar to him in Briere and it did not work out...Comrie is a one-dimensional player, I'd rather give one-dimensional prospects back.
I really sincerely believe that Comrie is NO Briere 2. Briere had bad overall work ethic in Phoenix, he was off 1 night on two. Comrie may not be a great two way player but half of the forwards in the league are not either. It is not only a question of will, it has to do as well with positioning knowledge, smart and fast defensive decisions. At the NHL level, you just can't be average. You just can't afford to lose a puck in your own end or you probably get punished straight away. You can't afford to have your head down two seconds or just get flattened. Just a few players in the world reach the NHL, just a few of them are good two-way players.
It is not that easy or it doesn't mean you are rubbish either.
Now I haven't heard any Flyers fan complaining about Comrie's attitude on or off the ice. What Comrie brings in a team is offensive intensity, pace and flair. With Briere (when he was in Phoenix) there wasn't much intensity at all.
IMO Comrie would make the team better. If you brought back Briere right now, he wouldn't. I think there are very different.
I wouldn't try to trade Comrie to Anaheim either. Even for what Anaheim offered to the Oilers prior to his trade to Philadelphia. No one knows what Corey Perry will be at the NHL level, or what the first round pick attached to the offer would be.
Comrie is very young, he should only get better once he settle somewhere.
Of course, all that is just my opinion.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:16 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
I really sincerely believe that Comrie is NO Briere 2. Briere had bad overall work ethic in Phoenix, he was off 1 night on two. Comrie may not be a great two way player but half of the forwards in the league are not either. It is not only a question of will, it has to do as well with positioning knowledge, smart and fast defensive decisions. At the NHL level, you just can't be average. You just can't afford to lose a puck in your own end or you probably get punished straight away. You can't afford to have your head down two seconds or just get flattened. Just a few players in the world reach the NHL, just a few of them are good two-way players.
It is not that easy or it doesn't mean you are rubbish either.
Now I haven't heard any Flyers fan complaining about Comrie's attitude on or off the ice. What Comrie brings in a team is offensive intensity, pace and flair. With Briere (when he was in Phoenix) there wasn't much intensity at all.
IMO Comrie would make the team better. If you brought back Briere right now, he wouldn't. I think there are very different.
I wouldn't try to trade Comrie to Anaheim either. Even for what Anaheim offered to the Oilers prior to his trade to Philadelphia. No one knows what Corey Perry will be at the NHL level, or what the first round pick attached to the offer would be.
Comrie is very young, he should only get better once he settle somewhere.
Of course, all that is just my opinion.

I normally detest smaller players; however Comrie is a difference maker to a team. He's incredibly talented, plays with an edge, and will become our number one center almost instantly. There is a star quality about Comrie that Briere did not have.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
Gwyddbwyll

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I personally dont believe any team will win the Cup with a guy like Comrie, or Briere as one of their top two centers. They are all prodigiously talented but it is a different game in the playoffs. Midget centers have to be as talented as Gretzky to have an impact. Comrie has 2 goals in 12 playoff games. He may be young but that does not mean it is certain he will get better. The majority of good young players either reach a plateau or regress.. they do not all automatically get better every year because they're young.

The number one asset Comrie brings is goals. Little else. As I have pointed out before his stats are uncannily near-identical to Briere's in almost every way. Its freaky. I dont know if you could find two players closer than they are statistically.

I also dont like his attitude when he was in Edmonton.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Greg

TSN.ca

TSN reports deal almost done:

Philly gets- Ben Eager, Sean Burke, Branko Radivojevic

Phoenix gets- Mike Comrie

Quote:
The deal is not yet offical, and won't be until the two teams finalize the transaction with the official trade call with the National Hockey League head office. That is in the process of happening.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Waldo

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!

It's worse than anyone could have imagined. Sean Burke, Branko, and Ben Eager for Comrie. Confirmed on The Sports Network. Don't like this at all...... I'm speechless.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:25 PM
The Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
TSN.ca

TSN reports deal almost done:

Philly gets- Ben Eager, Sean Burke, Branko Radivojevic

Phoenix gets- Mike Comrie
Hope Philly is pitching in with something besides Comrie. Maybe Seidenberg as previously speculated?

We hadn't signed Eager yet so maybe that was another factor in deciding to include him in the deal.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
ulf

this just gets worse and worse

clark gave up alot to get this kid but we gave up even more,for all the gloaters it might be pointed out we gave up two good young players to get rid of a contract that wasn't supposed to be a salary dump.[burkes value amounted to very little after all]

comrie is an outstanding talent.....but is still a ? mark when it comes to his nhl future.

the right wing is weakened
left wing has less future
goaltending is not as good today as yesterday.

Closed Thread