HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hab's not actually playing that badly?

Old
04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Hab's not actually playing that badly?

I am going to have to jump on the "give credit where credit is due" bandwagon here. The Bruins are playing like absolute animals. Every shift, almost every single time a Canadiens player releases the puck he is being hunt down and hammered. The Bs are playing their system to a tee. Somehow it seems that our speed has been countered coming down the wings across the blueline. There is no space for us to move in the Boston zone, even on the power play! I always feel like there are 7 Bruin players on the ice at all times!

Look at the battles we are fighting though. You can say what you want about our team, but with the exception of the third period yesterday, our defence has been immense. Komisarek is a beast and Markov is doing all he can. Our third line is monstrous! Kostopolous and Begin are taking what the Bruins are giving them and returning it two fold. It has been a great series for anyone who likes this kind of gritty hockey (myself not included!)

I still see Kovalev and the Kostitsyns making the most of their ability, finding whatever space the Bruins will give them. Yes, our shooting has been poor and we haven't been able to score, but not for lack of trying. As far as picking out scapegoats goes, I would look at the one or two guys who seem to have been scared off of their game a bit. I am still seeing Ryder, Plekanecs and Higgins digging hard along the boards, but a few of these guys definitely seem to be shying away from carrying the puck and looking for scoring opportunities. Perhaps they've just been dragged down and hit one too many times.

The only other finger I can point is at the losing coaching battle. Carbonneau seems to have the reigns on our counter-attack. Is this the case or are we just not skating hard enough? Why would he do this if it is indeed a concious decision? Playing the trap? What the hell?

Lastly, part of the problem is that in play-off hockey the rules change. If we lose to the Bruins, we shoudl still be happy with our regular season success, but really start to question whether or not our building blocks are post-season material.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

The key is getting our powerplay to behave as a unit, point.

I was a little concerned that Carbo didn't call the timeout after the 3rd goal but they did get the "review" break so no real foul there. Coaching has been okay, we just need the players to skate a lot harder to break the trap, and that's their responsibility.

We're playing undisciplined (Sergei I'm looking at you) and we don't have an answer for when they pot their own PP goals. 5 on 5 I'm convinced we're able to beat them but it's the same story as always:

1) stay out of the box
2) score with the man advantage
3) skate harder then them

That's what missing, and hopefully those things will be in place on Saturday so we can win. The skating thing is killing us - by the 3rd period it's the B's that ought to be tired but the team just hasn't worked hard enough to make it so.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Puckhead58*

You're right....they aren't playing that bad....they are just being successfully shutdown by Boston's defence.....therefore they can't score.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:52 PM
CrazyShea

I think they're playing horribly and are not trying to break the trap by using the good stick handling defense man or the long pass they just seem to sit back and try to fight trap with a trap. We lose every fight along the boards and cant effectivly dump the puck and chase it. Obviously we can't beat the bruins at the own game and i think its about time they realize it. First period we had alot of scoring chances but caught some bad breaks. Second and third i dont recall any good scoring chances. What were we doing in the first that we didnt do in the second and third?

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Habs_Apostle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
I am going to have to jump on the "give credit where credit is due" bandwagon here. The Bruins are playing like absolute animals. Every shift, almost every single time a Canadiens player releases the puck he is being hunt down and hammered. The Bs are playing their system to a tee. Somehow it seems that our speed has been countered coming down the wings across the blueline. There is no space for us to move in the Boston zone, even on the power play! I always feel like there are 7 Bruin players on the ice at all times!

Look at the battles we are fighting though. You can say what you want about our team, but with the exception of the third period yesterday, our defence has been immense. Komisarek is a beast and Markov is doing all he can. Our third line is monstrous! Kostopolous and Begin are taking what the Bruins are giving them and returning it two fold. It has been a great series for anyone who likes this kind of gritty hockey (myself not included!)

I still see Kovalev and the Kostitsyns making the most of their ability, finding whatever space the Bruins will give them. Yes, our shooting has been poor and we haven't been able to score, but not for lack of trying. As far as picking out scapegoats goes, I would look at the one or two guys who seem to have been scared off of their game a bit. I am still seeing Ryder, Plekanecs and Higgins digging hard along the boards, but a few of these guys definitely seem to be shying away from carrying the puck and looking for scoring opportunities. Perhaps they've just been dragged down and hit one too many times.

The only other finger I can point is at the losing coaching battle. Carbonneau seems to have the reigns on our counter-attack. Is this the case or are we just not skating hard enough? Why would he do this if it is indeed a concious decision? Playing the trap? What the hell?

Lastly, part of the problem is that in play-off hockey the rules change. If we lose to the Bruins, we shoudl still be happy with our regular season success, but really start to question whether or not our building blocks are post-season material.
Great Post! And I completely agree. The Bruins are playing some great playoff hockey. I think our boys are giving it their best. Maybe what we're learning is that this team is well built for the season but not so well built for the playoffs? Well, this really has been a pretty tight series - it's not like we're getting wooped here or anything. There are still two games to be played and we will have to see how Carb's and the boys respond. I still have all the faith in the world in them, and if Koivu comes back, well, I will feel that much more confident.

And say what you will about Julien, but he is coaching the crap out of the Bruins - he has them playing a perfect system to beat the Habs. The question is, can Carb's respond?

Habs_Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
doubleminor138
Call me Snake

vCash: 50
Its nice to see some Bruins praise on the Habs board!

A couple of things I noticed from a Bruins perspective:

(1) The Bruins get away with some extra interference here and there. I suppose the Habs do, too...but I cringe when I expect to see a call made against the Bruins and...no call! This favors the Bruins' style becuase it allows them to clog up the neutral zone and slow down the transition game.

(2) The Bruins PK is a world apart from what I saw in the regular season. They are really on top of their game.

This is a great series and I, for one, was really happy to see an old rivalry rekindled. Its going to provide a lot of good hockey next season, too!

Bon chance!

Last edited by doubleminor138: 04-18-2008 at 02:45 PM.
doubleminor138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post

And say what you will about Julien, but he is coaching the crap out of the Bruins -?

That is a key point. I personally wasn't supportive of his hiring and have been eating crow now for a couple of months. Julien has somehow got to these guys and they have bought into a system. Savard is playing "D" for maybe the first time in his career. Kessel has had problems and gets benched. But the nessage got through. The kid played the best game of his pro career last night.

The Bruins are not a talented team on paper. To say so just wouldn't be true.Their success or failure hinges on playing as an opportunistic unit as opposed to individuals. That comes directly from the Coach. Tremendous difference we are seeing this year from Lewis led team last year. With a weaker roster to boot.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
That is a key point. I personally wasn't supportive of his hiring and have been eating crow now for a couple of months.
Actually while we don't like the style he brought to the team, every Habs fans was sure that he would do great in Jersey and in Boston knowing the style of both teams.

And so he did.

As far as this thread, I think it's a perfect mix of Boston playing great and Habs not so...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:56 PM
j52

I will concur if you leave off the last two words of this thread!

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote