HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Slightly OT:Veteran Habs Fans,What Do You Think Of This Sudden Bandwagon Jumping?

Old
04-18-2008, 01:54 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
I think we get a little drunk with success and visions of sugar plums, and we get way ahead of ourselves. Then when things don't go exactly as planned, there has to be something wrong so the coach or Ryder or something drastic is wrong rather than admit that sometimes, you aren't at your best and the opposition has to be given credit.

Most teams have some bad habits as patterns, and it just takes a bad bounce,penalty, bad shift to change things. The coaches know it, they caution against it, but it happens. It happens more to young players, but the other side of the coin is that the young guys gave the team the spark that got them where they are. So , I watch, I get frustrated because things I think I see don't get adressed with the results I want, but sometimes, the other guys are just better.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Except no one ever said that about Brisebois .. I have to defend him by myself all the time! lol

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I. Don'T. Care.

More Habs fans we get, the better. I welcome everybody! Join the crusade fans of Buffalo, Toronto..even Carolina.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
We watch grown men whacking a rubber disc around with sticks.

We're all wasting our lives, basically.

So if some fans are smart enough to just hop on and off the bandwagon as it suits them, and hence potentially live slightly more meaningful lives while they're off the bandwagon, more power to them!

You waste your life. I KNOW my support helps my team. I just know, I just know, I just know.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:05 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88 View Post
You think that's bad?

How many of us eagerly await the day of the year where some old guys in suit go on a stage, call a name, wait for a kid to come up and put on a jersey before taking pictures. Then the moment arrives and we watch for more than three hours before jumping on a computer and refreshing a webpage where more names appear for another five hours.

That day should be made into a statutory holiday...

As for the original topic: the more fans and respect the better...

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
It bothers me to a point that noone can even imagine.

All year they dont watch hockey and all of a sudden they are #1 fans with their car flags and tshirts.

my sister and her friend are like that, It really drives me insane.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Dr Zaius

I get annoyed by those fans that haven't mention anything all year about the team and come playoff time their Msn/Facebook says Go Habs Go, or Go Canadians! I mean at least spell our team name right!

Dr Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
ppil

I've been a hockey fan for about 15 years, and a habs fan for 10 years, so I'm not considering myself as a veteran fan, but I'm not a bandwagon jumper either...

I know the game, but I couldn't coach it for sure. I know a lot about the nhl, stats, players, team, history, etc... So I'm pretty much known as "the guy who knows hockey" when it comes to my friends and colleagues.

Two years ago, I was watching the game alone every time, and this year, all my friends get togheter to watch it, and even my girlfriend is asking me to watch it with her... I think it's cool in a way, cause the more you are, the more fun you have, but most people are only there to drink beer and be with their friends, and those people want to switch channel when the habs are loosing by 2 goals (and I said no to my girlfriend when she wanted to switch the channel in the game against the rangers, greatest move ever )

I think that it's almost more a party thing than a hockey thing. The habs became a way to be accepted socially. For people who are not the kind of people to go in clubs or thing like that, it became a great way to party and meeting people (and yes there are more and more girls). It's almost like if you have the be an habs fan to be a real party guy, and like every thing else, alot of people thinks that the more habs stuff you have, the more fan you are, or at least, you let others think you are a big habs fan.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:35 PM
Beakermania*

Ways to tell a bandwagon fan.... You will hear one of the following quotes....

"There's two Kostitsyns... Really?? Are they related?"
"How bout that COREY Price kid? He's playing great.... Kinda came out of nowhere, eh?"
"Danny Markov really is a good defenceman..."
"Streit had 60 points... does he have a chance for the Norris??"

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:39 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
Who did Billy Kautsitsin used to be and why is he on my ignore list?
The President

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 04:57 PM
j52

I've been a Hab fan since 1957, as I was permitted to stay up later if I was watching the playoff games.
What difference does it make if people are "seasonal fans"? The more the merrier.
I never jump on or off of a bandwagon. If I praise the team it is my opinion. If I trash the team it is my opinion. That having been said, I never expected much from this year's club, and at the moment they aren't showing me much. I predict a close loss in Boston, followed by another blowout loss at home. That does not make a jumper - it is my honestly held opinion.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
It's human nature to get excited about something that's exciting.
It's also human nature to follow. You know, like sheep?

Don't let it bother you. As long as you're the best Habs Fan YOU can be, you shouldn't worry about others.
Well....

The original question was ''Veteran Habs fans,what do you think of this sudden bandwagon jumping?''

I wasn't exactly looking to start a ''I'm more hardcore than you'' thread and this topic was not created to bash casual fans as a whole,I don't have problem with most casual fans in general no one has the time and dedication to follow closely every Habs-related thing and spend hours talking over every shift afterwards(there are different degrees of ''hardcoreness'' when it comes to following a team,i acknowledge it).I posted this thread to see what Habs fans thought about the ''new'' fans in the city.

I'm not elitist or anything,I'm just saying that these kind of fans bug me a bit,as it does also bug others who have been there for the whole ride.I didn't say that all new fans were considered bandwagoners.Just the ones I listed in my examples.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
dzd ncnfzd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
The President
Oh thats where he went!!!! was wondering about him!!!!

Go Habs Go.....from a real veteran, watching since '65 when I was 10...They'll come back, if not good lesson for the future, harden up them kids.

I've been a pretty steady fan but I must admit that in the low years I'd only watch or listen on saturdays....hard to justify to others more time devoted to a crappy, though still loved team.

ADAMS DIVISION RULES

dzd ncnfzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Rapmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother_pucker View Post
He's been one of the Habs best players so far.
So who's the one who really doesn't know **** about hockey?
Yeah!!! Last year with Vancouver, he was a monster in the playoff

Rapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapmaster View Post
Yeah!!! Last year with Vancouver, he was a monster in the playoff
His performance with the Canucks was why I was sad he was signed in the summer. His track record was solid in my eyes up until then. But he has done his job these playoffs, Canucks were looking to him to score more than we are.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:23 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

How can you guys complain about people getting behind your team for the playoffs? It isn't like only diehards who suffered through a teams non playoff years have a right to cheer. Can you honestly say you wouldn't wish Habsmania to sweep all of Canada in the final against San Jose or whoever. A lot of people are closet fans of Montreal who followed them religiously before they got tired of getting their hearts broken. Welcome them back into the fold. It isn't some kind of exclusive club. Especially Canadians who have had their heads turned by expansion clubs from south of the border. A monster year and (dare we say it) a cup, will create a whole new generation of Habs fans. That is how you steal them back from all the recent cup winners.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
How can you guys complain about people getting behind your team for the playoffs? It isn't like only diehards who suffered through a teams non playoff years have a right to cheer. Can you honestly say you wouldn't wish Habsmania to sweep all of Canada in the final against San Jose or whoever. A lot of people are closet fans of Montreal who followed them religiously before they got tired of getting their hearts broken. Welcome them back into the fold. It isn't some kind of exclusive club. Especially Canadians who have had their heads turned by expansion clubs from south of the border. A monster year and (dare we say it) a cup, will create a whole new generation of Habs fans. That is how you steal them back from all the recent cup winners.
When the team sucked and the fans had their hearts broken noone told them to leave and become detroit, colorado or whoever fans. We stayed here, we faught through the tough years supporting this team, game in and game out. they were the quitters, not us.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Mathieu21

Send a message via MSN to Mathieu21
The more the merrier. **** elitism.

Mathieu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Rapmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
I don't mind casual fans, the more the merrier, but I hate those who take credit for the success of the team but they only follow the Habs when they win. (aka Bandwagon fan)

Rapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 06:23 PM
AD

I don't mind casual dans cheering for the Habs.

What I dislike is how they sometimes are the first to come down hard on the players at the slightest sign of adversity.

Ex.: Yesterday, people criticizing Markov and Price, etc. Saying that this "kid" in net is never gonna make it... And that that defenseman guy doesn't seem to like his teammates.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2008, 07:29 PM
RonFournier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_efxbibyJT0

RonFournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 10:23 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kautsitsin View Post
So during this year,the Canadiens with their remarkable season have generated a lot of interest and excitement, as it seemed to also ''ressurect'' the Habs's popularity among numerous casual fans.The Habs were basically promoted as the thing to see in town all year long.(though the team has been successfully promoted since the lockout,thanks to Gillett and Boivin)

But unfortunately it has also favoured the invasion of bandwagon fans,especially during the playoffs.I've been a longtime dedicated Habs fan(since 99-00)and recently it seems to me that the new presence of lots of ''newbie Habs fans'' or bandwagoners(including a large influx of school friends and coworkers) has been really obxnoxious in my opinion.We've had to deal with them and their tantrums this season in particular.There's absolutely nothing with having this fantastic and electric buzz in the city,but there were days when at elementary/high school and with friends I was basically the lone Habs fan who even cared about Habs hockey or even hockey for that matter.I remember how we fans were alone during those dark days.

Anyway now everyone is cheering for the Canadiens and is in the bandwagon.

I'm not saying that only I can support for the Habs,but it somewhat annoys me to see new bandwagon jumpers acting like they were behind the team no matter what,and especially when they're trying to pretend like they have been a diehard since the beginning.Like after watching Brisebois scoring a goal in the playoffs,they'll say something like,''Man,Brisebois has been an ****ing absolute stud for the Habs this year'' and then argue that Breezer has been performant all season long,but they can't back it up with any memories of the season.Just admit it that you've only watched the last 10 games of the season,but don't try to bluff about watching Habs hockey this year,because you'll just end up looking like an idiot to the fans who have been along for the whole ride.

It also bothers me a bit when the typical bandwagon fan IMO:

- Starts talking hockey like he/she really knows about hockey,but you know he/she is just shooting blanks

-Starts booing/swearing when a penalty that the Habs rightfully deserved to get.

-Waves his/her playoff tickets in your face and gets cocky about it,but ironically never cared about the Habs before

-Talks about the Habs to simply get attention and to look ''cool''

-Suddenly Tells me that he/she always had faith we'd make it this far and that we'll win the Cup

-When he/she basically cares to go to parties and celebrating in the streets,using the Habs playoff wins as a excuse to party it up or making some damages,etc

-Recites and takes his/her opinion word for word from PJ Stock,RonMcLean,Pierre Houde,Yvon Pedneault,Le Baron Chantelois/Jacques Demers/Benoit Brunet/110%/CKAC Sports/Team 990....pre-game/post game opinions and takes everything they say as gospel

Seriously I could go on and on and on...but you get the drift.So from veteran Habs fan to another,how do you folks feel about the ''New Habs fans''/or Bandwagon fans'' in town?

Just to settle and initiate a discussion.
Honestly, I dont care how they become hab fans, who they like on the team, or if they will be off when they lose... I am happy they are around...

It's good for hockey in Canada when Montreal is a front runner. With our history it's like te Yankee's in Baseball... However, regardless of the situation as to how subject a became a hab/hockey fan... It's nice that there are so many options now to crow about our team

Another plus is that it's great for the sport, and the team in general...
The men in the locker room must realize that during these weeks, they are legends already, every time they put on that jersey.

just look at that beautiful Kovy quote to his father who prolonged his stay to watch the playoffs

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 10:26 AM
mikeg

It's Montreal... fans are passionate.

The thing that bothers me the most is the bloodlust people have for looting and riotting. It's pretty sad that we needed 300 riot police on standby afte Game 5, just in case people decided to raise some shanannigans... at least have the patience and respect to pull something like that after you've actually won something!

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Istvan

I became a Habs fan in 1965. I was a general sports junkie and watched pro sports and college sports. Hockey, basketball, baseball, football, tennis, track....you name it. Along came college and post grad and I had to jettison a lot of the sports because I no longer had time with too much studying to do. But with the Habs there was never a choice to jettison. The connection is difficult to explain/articulate but it's unbreakable. I don't have this connection to any other sport. I have been on the bandwagon for 43 years with never the slightest inclination to jump. Weird eh?

Istvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 10:47 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Where's the problem? It hurts you in your ego of a veteran fan (8 years is more like sophomore)

Some of those bandwagonners, have been bandwagon fans for a good 30 years.

That beats you, anyday.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote