HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Are we going to let the following players walk?

Old
05-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Are we going to let the following players walk?

Duncan Milroy
JP Cote
Andrew Archer

Do any of them have any chance in hell of making it to the NHL?

Milroy interested me at one point.

Time to move on to a different organization?

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Beakermania*

None of them are making it in Montreal.... if any are resigned it will be merely for hamilton depth and veteran presence.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
None of them are making it in Montreal.... if any are resigned it will be merely for hamilton depth and veteran presence.
all 3 are UFA if i'm not mistaken.

I'd assume they'll look to sign elsewhere?

Maybe Milroy might have a shot in Columbus or LA or something.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2008, 08:06 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

I will always remember Archer for actually fighting with Laraque, even though it wasn't much of a fight.

I liked Cote and hope he stays with the Bulldogs but I also hope he moves on because I do think he can crack other teams rosters as a #6 or 7 defence and he deserves a shot to prove it.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:02 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Only one that actually interests me at all is Milroy for depth but meh.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:18 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Cote could very well be a #6 for an NHL team as early as next season.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Kaptain Bégin

I think they're gone. They will want to try elsewhere to make it. I like Côté chances, he's a good defenseman, but really slow. I still think he can play and help a team in lack of defenseman, but no room for him in MTL. I see nothing in Archer and he's always injuried. Probably why he's not better at this point. Milroy can't score in the AHL and I don't think he's on plan for MTL.

Kaptain Bégin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Judge Sauer*

They've all been passed by other players, I don't see them moving to the big club with this organization. I'm sure at least two of them will leave if not all three.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

None of these 3 players will ever play in Montreal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Maximus Taylor

yes. Good luck to 'em.

Baad timing for Coté two years ago, but that's life unfortunately.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
None of these 3 players will ever play in Montreal
2 of these 3 players have already played at least 1 game.

unless you mean will ever play again?

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Milroy will most likely never get a real chance with the big club so yes ill let him walk.

Archer was ruined by injuries and O'Byrne took his spot on the depth chart so ill let him walk as well.

Cote would probably do a decent job as the 6th/7th Dman but i think that he will become a victim of our depth at D with the Valentenko , Subban , Carle , McDonagh , possibly Emelin next year ect so ill let him walk too.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:39 AM
24Cups

The aforementioned are career AHLers. What about Corey Locke? Isn't he also an RFA this year? I'd kind of like to see him get something like a 20 game NHL tryout, but not with the Canadiens, we have too many prospects in front of him.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

For everybody, it's time for a change. There's definately a possibility to bring some vets from other teams to play for the Dogs that might also benefit for a change of scenario.

Having said that, if those guys are willing to continue playing the role they are playing and are not known as **** disturbers, they could stay as well.

Can't wait to see what kind of year Archer might have without being injured....but will we ever see that?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Duncan Milroy
JP Cote
Andrew Archer

I've seen a lot of Hamilton games in the last 11 yrs and based on what I've seen--guys who've made it compared to these guys--none of them really has a chance in the NHL beyond emergency injury call up.

Milroy was a puzzle to me for a while. Individually, it seems like his skills/talents might form a decent NHL player, but he's also just that tiniest bit below NHL-level in everything (speed, size, shot, passing, stickhandling, etc) when you start to add them up. If he were faster, his size would be okay; if he were bigger, you could live with his speed; if his hands were just a touch better . . .

Give JT Wyman his spot. Bigger body, younger guy, better contract, etc. Looks like that already happened.

It also seemed like Milroy was the kind of guy--like Cory Locke--who relied on his talent a little too much when he was a junior and/or first year pro. When you get to the next level, as they say, you don't get faster, everybody around you just did. For guys who don't make the immediate jump it's the work ethic, commitment and ability to get better as things get tougher that will separate the guys. Locke, even more than Milroy, is also the kind of guy who has to have everything going just right around him. Then he's great. He will never kind of guy who will fight through rough patches or keep plugging when things are a little off (like bouncing pucks or hitting the post). If he were a pitcher in baseball, a wounded duck basehit would destroy his entire day no matter how many strikeouts and ground balls he had gotten and no matter how far ahead his team was. I'd compare Locke to Drew Bledsoe. With all-stars around him and behind him, on a clear day with great ambient conditions, he could be an all-star. Put one thing out of order and you may as well call it a day.

Give Locke's spot to Trotter or to Maxwell. Seems like it's been done.

Archer is big and slow and gets hurt. Everybody else has said that and they're right. He should hit more and probably should fight more but he's probably also always playing slightly hurt b/c he's so brittle. He's an incomplete.

Give Cepek or someone similar his spot. You're saving three or four years in age, contract and in wear and tear on a body. Same guy otherwise and Cepek could start to improve. Archer won't get much better.

Cote is slow, as others have noted, but he's also prone to a couple of bad habits. He isn't consistently physical and yet has a tendency to take himself out of the play by trying to make a hit. He takes weak, dumb, lazy penalties at times (b/c he's slow in part) and these can hurt. He's a willing fighter, but not a very good one--Zenon Konopka cleaned his clock every time--but even that's not consistent.

I'd say don't even worry about filling this spot with someone else. Want a veteran defenseman who can drop the mitts, stand in front of his net, and be annoying to the other team? Why do you think guys like Dan Jancevski, Matt Carkner, Marc Moro, the Brookbanks, etc. have managed to have jobs for so long and have changed teams frequently? Big deal if a guy like this gets away and plays ten games with Florida in the next three years. As a for instance, Hamilton managed to sign Focht and Aitken before they had Jancevski. In short, Cote is easily replaced.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_Rafter View Post
2 of these 3 players have already played at least 1 game.

unless you mean will ever play again?
Thats what I meant,going forward I don't think they will ever play for the Habs

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Duncan Milroy
JP Cote
Andrew Archer

None have a rel future in the nHL, Milroy may get a shot on a team with little depth.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Iwishihadacup

Milroy is doing well with colombus in my ehm

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Duncan Milroy
JP Cote
Andrew Archer

I don't see any of them as NHLers. I've had trouble seeing Archer as an AHLer at times, but with all his injuries in the past he still managed to progress a bit this year and it seems like somebody liked him enough to keep him around for that. I guess I'd leave it up to them... which is yeah, "let them walk". If they want to pursue a fresh start elsewhere or more money in Europe, that's their choice. If they don't want to leave... Milroy or Cote might be serviceable in an EXTREME injury crunch, so depending on our contract tally, having them on league-min NHL deals primarily to help keep Hamilton competitive and provide some veteran support there wouldn't hurt. I wouldn't offer an NHL deal to Archer again, though.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Habbadasher

Via con Dios.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote