HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Old
05-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Protein will most definitely help you with losing weight. You guys need to get educated.
Depends how you use it, I think.

If you are cutting our fat as well as carbs and replacing them with protein, you're going to lose weight.

If you add protein but don't cut down on bad cards/fat.. you're going to gain bad weight.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Depends how you use it, I think.

If you are cutting our fat as well as carbs and replacing them with protein, you're going to lose weight.

If you add protein but don't cut down on bad cards/fat.. you're going to gain bad weight.
Does having sex with Avril Lavigne helps to reduce weight?

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:08 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafRefereeeeeees View Post
I like the idea of turning your weight lifting into cardio as well, alternating between two different exercises with no rest, then move on to another two.

You can't just do cardio, as you say, or you'll lose your muscle.

You should focus A LOT on your abs as well. At first, just do crunches on the crunch bench to get the area stronger. When you feel you are ready, expand to easy sit-up sets, then make them progressively harder.
There is one routine/method I've used over the years that I believe was called training by the clock.

Basically, no more than 20-30 min per body part and no less than 15 reps. Preferably 20-25 reps and fast pace. 30 second rest in between.

Of course this meant lighter weight. I was shocked to see that I actually gained more lean muscle mass this way than going heavy and with lower reps. I had to find a way to work out lighter as I had developed a hernia while doing squats with about 700lbs.

This routine really keeps the heart-rate up so you burn lots of calories and build muscle at the same time. And, it's not complicated.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Anyone wanna have a Battle of the Bulge till next Season?

Old
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyChick87 View Post
As in, who can gain the most flab? Or which of you guys can get a body like Higgins' by next season? I'd love to judge

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
As in, who can gain the most flab? Or which of you guys can get a body like Higgins' by next season? I'd love to judge

With Pics...but no Speedos

Old
05-06-2008, 03:37 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
How does this work? I'm pretty skinny in the upper body and I've been working out for a couple months now. It's hard for me to gain weight on my upper body, but if it's a fun competition, might as well.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How does this work? I'm pretty skinny in the upper body and I've been working out for a couple months now. It's hard for me to gain weight on my upper body, but if it's a fun competition, might as well.
Really, I've always found gaining weight in my upper body to be very easy. Lets do it. Lets get fat and let "A" judge who did it the best.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:40 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Well, the more the Merrier...like a before and after thing and on opening day, get the posters to vote on the winner

Old
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
Really, I've always found gaining weight in my upper body to be very easy. Lets do it. Lets get fat and let "A" judge who did it the best.
I've got really thick legs, naturally. But my arms are skinny and obviously are getting bigger over time from working at the gym. Just the way my body builds naturally, I guess.

Old
05-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
If you want to lose weight, you better start by only cardiovascular in my humble opinion, weight lifting is a good way to lose weight but it would take more time I think but I'm not an expert either.
Actually that is a myth. The best means of losing weight is to have a balanced workout of 3 days weight 2-3 days cardio. This is especially true for men. Although weight lifting burns fewer calories its better for muscle growth and burns calories for hours after your workout in order to build muscle.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
Actually that is a myth. The best means of losing weight is to have a balanced workout of 3 days weight 2-3 days cardio. This is especially true for men. Although weight lifting burns fewer calories its better for muscle growth and burns calories for hours after your workout in order to build muscle.
My friend and I have been doing cardio and weight-lifting. Now, I'm already skinny, he's been overweight since basically I've known him. While he's not losing a lot of pounds on the scales, you can see him noticably thinner because he's losing fat but putting on weight through the form of increased muscle mass.

If this makes sense to anyone else.

Old
05-06-2008, 03:51 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
I've got really thick legs, naturally. But my arms are skinny and obviously are getting bigger over time from working at the gym. Just the way my body builds naturally, I guess.
Arms....emphasize your tricep routine....and don't over work your biceps. Smallest of the muscle groups and most often overtrained muscle (overtraining = no or diminishing gains). Tri's make up 2/3's of your upper arm. Make sure to incorporate a reverse pulldown-type movement in the routine...this to hit the inner tri.

Many guys do tons of pushdowns etc, and no reverse movements, and end up with big arms from the side-view...as soon as they walk away....from the back ...it's like their arms disappear....it's like an optical illusion, .

Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
My friend and I have been doing cardio and weight-lifting. Now, I'm already skinny, he's been overweight since basically I've known him. While he's not losing a lot of pounds on the scales, you can see him noticably thinner because he's losing fat but putting on weight through the form of increased muscle mass.

If this makes sense to anyone else.
It does...

Its not always about how you look, but mostly about how you feel

Old
anarmandaleb

Boys. I think you need to start a thread to get people's attention and collect sign-ups.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Beakermania*

It needs to be Most Improved... and not necessissarily best looking body.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Boys. I think you need to start a thread to get people's attention and collect sign-ups.
I got a funeral to attend this evening, but once I get home I'll draft some rules and regs as well as a sign up.

Old
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieremania View Post
Oh for sure....

Thats why the populous votes

Old
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
There is one routine/method I've used over the years that I believe was called training by the clock.

Basically, no more than 20-30 min per body part and no less than 15 reps. Preferably 20-25 reps and fast pace. 30 second rest in between.

Of course this meant lighter weight. I was shocked to see that I actually gained more lean muscle mass this way than going heavy and with lower reps. I had to find a way to work out lighter as I had developed a hernia while doing squats with about 700lbs.

This routine really keeps the heart-rate up so you burn lots of calories and build muscle at the same time. And, it's not complicated.
A significant factor in this "Build muscle with less weight" theory is that with lower weight its much easier to control the weight and to do the excesize correctly. I've known a lot of bodybuilders and powerlifters over the years; and they never go up in weight unless they can completely control weight and form a "perfect motion"

The best example I can find is that you'll see lots of people throwing up 50lb dumbell bicep curls who have trouble with doing 35lb on the preacher.

And 700lb squats?!? That's like 8 plates, that's insane, I've seen that done only a couple of time. That's not a record, but its pretty close to competition weight.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Fido22

Quote:
What the? I thought we were just getting fat?

Old
05-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
What the? I thought we were just getting fat?
No man... I need to shape up and look good for the MnG with LW.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Fido22

Quote:
No man... I need to shape up and look good for the MnG with LW.
But that's like a lot of hard work.

Old
05-06-2008, 04:07 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Lazy ass

Old
05-06-2008, 04:10 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
A significant factor in this "Build muscle with less weight" theory is that with lower weight its much easier to control the weight and to do the excesize correctly. I've known a lot of bodybuilders and powerlifters over the years; and they never go up in weight unless they can completely control weight and form a "perfect motion"

The best example I can find is that you'll see lots of people throwing up 50lb dumbell bicep curls who have trouble with doing 35lb on the preacher.

And 700lb squats?!? That's like 8 plates, that's insane, I've seen that done only a couple of time. That's not a record, but its pretty close to competition weight.
That makes a lot of sense. Even when I was going heavy, I'd never sacrifice good form for more weight. Very good advice there. I always tell the kids I see swinging their back away while doing standing curls, "like a statue, damit, like a statue!".

The odd time I'll do negatives just to register the monstrous weight with my muscle cell's memory (at least that was the old school theory, may be BS LOL), but that's about it.

As far as the squats? Yes, I have very, very strong legs. I'm a natural and was often told I should had competed....but not my style. In the meantime, it took me forever to break the 350lb bench press...by I've always been able to crawl into a squat rack and go up and down like a warm knife through butter. Super strong back to .

I lift weights for the rush and the body-sculpting, as I like to call it. And I'm very proud I never took and freakin' roids too. Cheap way out. When I see all my old friends and co-horts that cranked what they look like today (all in their 40's), I thank my lucky stars I had some good sense for something, ha ha.

Old
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Lazy ass
It's not lazy, its (.."A"..) "controlling energy expenditures in an efficient manner so as to not strain the energy producer".