HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Cutting Weight, Gaining Mass, Working Out, etc

Old
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
snap-bar

vCash: 500
I've been pretty skinny for awhile, and now that I am only taking a few classes this summer and not working I have time to go to the gym a lot more than before. I have tried to gain weight and muscle mass before, got little gains but ended up getting lazy and stopped going to the gym.

If anyone has any tips, like good food choices, protein, even good training schedules, let me know. much appreciated

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
LilWinger11

High-protein, low-fat food:

*Eggs/egg whites (to make scrambled eggs I crack two eggs and take out one of the yolks- that's where the fat is. I leave the other one because the iron is also in the yolk. You can use Egg Beaters too, but IMO they taste like crap.)
*Baked, grilled, or broiled fish and chicken. Pork is good too, just don't fry it.
*Yogurt/milk/cottage cheese

Nuts, peanut butter, cheese, and red meat are high in protein too, but they're generally higher in fat.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:16 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-bar View Post
I've been pretty skinny for awhile, and now that I am only taking a few classes this summer and not working I have time to go to the gym a lot more than before. I have tried to gain weight and muscle mass before, got little gains but ended up getting lazy and stopped going to the gym.

If anyone has any tips, like good food choices, protein, even good training schedules, let me know. much appreciated
A lot depends on genetics and body type. You say you're skinny...but do you have a small frame too (narrow shoulders etc)? Also, how old are you and for how long have you been lifting weights?

I'll be able to give you some advice based on the answers above. And it will work if followed.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
High-protein, low-fat food:

*Eggs/egg whites (to make scrambled eggs I crack two eggs and take out one of the yolks- that's where the fat is. I leave the other one because the iron is also in the yolk. You can use Egg Beaters too, but IMO they taste like crap.)
*Baked, grilled, or broiled fish and chicken. Pork is good too, just don't fry it.
*Yogurt/milk/cottage cheese

Nuts, peanut butter, cheese, and red meat are high in protein too, but they're generally higher in fat.
I love that I can eat that and lose weight.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
snap-bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
A lot depends on genetics and body type. You say you're skinny...but do you have a small frame too (narrow shoulders etc)? Also, how old are you and for how long have you been lifting weights?

I'll be able to give you some advice based on the answers above. And it will work if followed.
thanks.

I wouldn't say I have a small frame, i've seen smaller, but i guess avg- to a little on the small side. And im 22, been lifting weights on and off for about 4 years. Haven't lifted much at all this year, just got back to the gym for good starting yesterday.

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap-bar View Post
thanks.

I wouldn't say I have a small frame, i've seen smaller, but i guess avg- to a little on the small side. And im 22, been lifting weights on and off for about 4 years. Haven't lifted much at all this year, just got back to the gym for good starting yesterday.
Ok....I think I get the idea. This is a great program for a hard gainer.

1st thing I'll say is....patience. This won't happen overnight. If you have the genetics and your body reacts quickly, great. Otherwise, please don't expect too much right away. I was a bone-rack at your age...but I was fortunate with the frame (broad shoulders, big bones) and genetics...and it still took me a while to pack on weight.

Now, the way I approach training someone like you is this: Basic/simple. IE. If you think of it like sculpting, you first need a block of clay, then you define/sculpt the clay to bring out features/definition...shapes etc.

In your case, you need to build the block of clay, IE, get some mass/beef/size going. To do this, do meat and potatoes: That is, meat and potatoes exercises, and eat lots of meat and potatoes (literally and metaphorically ).

Exercises:

Back: Bent over barbell rows, deadlifts.
Chest: Incline barbell bench press, decline barbell bench press.
Legs: Squats.....and more squats.
Abs: Leg raises, crunches.

For now, forget everything else (shoulders, triceps, biceps, calves etc.) Those muscle groups will get hit secondarily with the above exercises (Back=bi's, Chest=tri's, shoulders, calves=legs).

Work out each body part ONLY one time per week. You won't need to spend hours in the gym. Remember, you grow when you REST not when you're lifting. This sport is composed of 3 equal parts - Training, eating, resting. They are equally important.

Mon: Legs, abs.
Wed. Chest, abs.
Fri: Back, abs.

Eat like a madman. In this phase, eat whatever you want. If you're a hard gainer and you want to gain weight, it's all about calories. I'm not going to advocate eating unhealthy...but basically don't over-concern yourself with this if it deviates from your usual diet. The key is to eat much more than you are eating now. Of course try and pack in as much eggs, beef, chicken, fish etc that you can.

Protein powders: They are not the holy grail. 3 times per day max. Most important shake is one mixed with lots of sugar base (or consumed with sugar, such as a big chocolate bar etc) right after your workout. One before bed and one as soon as you wake up (just protein for those 2).

Try consuming some food every 2-3 hours. Even a bag of peanuts.

Now details on the workouts: 4-8 reps per set max, 4 sets plus one warm up and one warm down (so 6 total). As heavy as you can, but maintain strict form...train with a spotter if possible...warm up good before the exercises (short bike ride).....stretch the muscle you're training in between sets. Rest approx. 2-3 minutes between sets.

Do about 15 minutes of ab work each workout.

Get as much sleep as you possibly can.

You won't see results right away. This takes time, but believe me, it is 100% effective. Once you gain some good bulk and strength. You can start sculpting that block of clay a bit more. Give this an honest 4 weeks. And see how you've progressed in strength and size. Depending on your progress, you either continue for another 2 weeks or we switch it around.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask .

Last edited by LesCanadiens: 05-07-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old
05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
tinyzombies

I have another question: If my daily max for just sitting around is 2247 and I don't spread those calories around in proper portions, what happens?

Say I eat two meals of 1000 calories in two sittings and then just have a couple pieces of fruit or something and that all equals 2247.

Will the fat get stored more? Will the larger portions not have time to metabolize?

How does that work?

I assume the 2247 goes with the recommended portion sizes and times to eat (not before bed, etc.), right?

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 06:24 PM
madvie
female habs fan

For anyone that can help me out...

I'm a girl, 5'4" and in the healthy weight range. I just don't think I take good care of my body and would like to get into shape (and a flatter stomach especially since it's summer). Thing is, I'm vegetarian too, which makes it really hard to follow specific diets when you're a student like me. In fact, I tend to forget to eat sometimes or grab something that isn't the best in terms of health (although for fast food, I don't really eat anything worse than zaatars and bagels).

I have no clue where to start..

madvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I just started working out on Monday.

I am a little intimidated by some of the machines but I try and do 30 mins on the bike and 30 mins on some machines and weights hopefully it will work out. I am trying to go every second day.

Riverside Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 07:25 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Ok....I think I get the idea. This is a great program for a hard gainer.

1st thing I'll say is....patience. This won't happen overnight. If you have the genetics and your body reacts quickly, great. Otherwise, please don't expect too much right away. I was a bone-rack at your age...but I was fortunate with the frame (broad shoulders, big bones) and genetics...and it still took me a while to pack on weight.

Now, the way I approach training someone like you is this: Basic/simple. IE. If you think of it like sculpting, you first need a block of clay, then you define/sculpt the clay to bring out features/definition...shapes etc.

In your case, you need to build the block of clay, IE, get some mass/beef/size going. To do this, do meat and potatoes: That is, meat and potatoes exercises, and eat lots of meat and potatoes (literally and metaphorically ).

Exercises:

Back: Bent over barbell rows, deadlifts.
Chest: Incline barbell bench press, decline barbell bench press.
Legs: Squats.....and more squats.
Abs: Leg raises, crunches.

For now, forget everything else (shoulders, triceps, biceps, calves etc.) Those muscle groups will get hit secondarily with the above exercises (Back=bi's, Chest=tri's, shoulders, calves=legs).

Work out each body part ONLY one time per week. You won't need to spend hours in the gym. Remember, you grow when you REST not when you're lifting. This sport is composed of 3 equal parts - Training, eating, resting. They are equally important.

Mon: Legs, abs.
Wed. Chest, abs.
Fri: Back, abs.

Eat like a madman. In this phase, eat whatever you want. If you're a hard gainer and you want to gain weight, it's all about calories. I'm not going to advocate eating unhealthy...but basically don't over-concern yourself with this if it deviates from your usual diet. The key is to eat much more than you are eating now. Of course try and pack in as much eggs, beef, chicken, fish etc that you can.

Protein powders: They are not the holy grail. 3 times per day max. Most important shake is one mixed with lots of sugar base (or consumed with sugar, such as a big chocolate bar etc) right after your workout. One before bed and one as soon as you wake up (just protein for those 2).

Try consuming some food every 2-3 hours. Even a bag of peanuts.

Now details on the workouts: 4-8 reps per set max, 4 sets plus one warm up and one warm down (so 6 total). As heavy as you can, but maintain strict form...train with a spotter if possible...warm up good before the exercises (short bike ride).....stretch the muscle you're training in between sets. Rest approx. 2-3 minutes between sets.

Do about 15 minutes of ab work each workout.

Get as much sleep as you possibly can.

You won't see results right away. This takes time, but believe me, it is 100% effective. Once you gain some good bulk and strength. You can start sculpting that block of clay a bit more. Give this an honest 4 weeks. And see how you've progressed in strength and size. Depending on your progress, you either continue for another 2 weeks or we switch it around.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask .
that's way too much imo.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
that's way too much imo.
Indeed, Abs shouldn't be overworked just like any other muscles

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGTvidz View Post
Indeed, Abs shouldn't be overworked just like any other muscles
Yeah, I should had specified. Lower abs (leg raises) one workout, upper abs (crunches) the next. And switch the frequency from one to the other every week.

This is good. My plan usually incorporates more ab workouts in this phase because their is relatively little else going on. Typically, the abs see some work in just about every exercise...with this routine you're not doing too many extra sets.

In the next phase I actually cut them back some.

Had it in my head to outline this, but forgot too. Thanks to you and Franchise for pointing it out.

Old
05-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Richybaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not with losing weight but it will for building muscle.
Not at all buddy...If you take too much proteins you gonna pee them

People are trying to sell protein like a product to build muscle and its completly false. People gets caught

Its sad

Richybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Maxpac

the trick to losing weight is called evercleanse, believe me...

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPrice View Post
My brother took it, said it made him feel like crap. I think a lot of people look towards pills instead of pushing out hard work at the gym. Thats why these companies are making millions. (Im not saying your one of these people)
I know what you mean, some people continue to eat poutine and doritos everyday and think that the fat burner will do all the work. What they don't realize is that you have to put in the gym time for it to take affect. I'm starting Hydroxycut again tomorrow, unfortunately I'll have to go without coffee for the next little while.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:11 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggs View Post
I know what you mean, some people continue to eat poutine and doritos everyday and think that the fat burner will do all the work. What they don't realize is that you have to put in the gym time for it to take affect. I'm starting Hydroxycut again tomorrow, unfortunately I'll have to go without coffee for the next little while.
I tried hydroxycut last year... And figuret hey the stuff is filled with coffeine and theine, so whatever I'll just continue take my coffees and it'S gonna be more effective...

it worked in the sense that it was so effective I was sweaty and sometimes a little shaky for the 1st week, but after that I didn't even feel a thing... my heart rate and blood pressure were A-Ok too, unless I started doing something hard itself on my system.

But if someone is completely out of shape or has heart problems, it's definitely not recommended...

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 12:23 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
the trick to losing weight is called evercleanse, believe me...
something that works with the colon??? It cannot possibly work.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 06:48 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffie709 View Post
I find that intervals is better, it gets your heart rate higher and it causes the body to go into EPOC (excessive post oxygen consumption) longer which leads to a faster metabolism and more calories burned. A lot of people say that the slower steadier pace will burn more fat, which in a way is true, however the intervals will burn more calories which is teh key to weight loss IMO.

The general principle to remember is burn more calories a day then what you take in. If you burn 500 calories more/day then what you take in you will lose at least a pound a week.
Keeping your heart rate lower than your personal maximum HR is the key not calories. If your max (it's a ratio so everybody is different) is 120 BPM then you must remain under that heart rate to burn stored fat as fuel. First your body will burn available fuel which is whatever you consumed and then the stored fat. There is a theory that the best time to work out is before breakfast so the only fuel available to your body is stored fat. A jog with a heart rate monitor to control your pace is the most efective way to lose fat.

When you go above your max, as in a sprint or intervals where your heart rate is maxed out, you burn sugars. This normally converts to fat in your body so you are in effect not gaining it but the stored fat is never accesssed. In the end you do what you enjoy the most because if you don't you'll stop and it will all come back.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Keeping your heart rate lower than your personal maximum HR is the key not calories. If your max (it's a ratio so everybody is different) is 120 BPM then you must remain under that heart rate to burn stored fat as fuel. First your body will burn available fuel which is whatever you consumed and then the stored fat. There is a theory that the best time to work out is before breakfast so the only fuel available to your body is stored fat. A jog with a heart rate monitor to control your pace is the most efective way to lose fat.

When you go above your max, as in a sprint or intervals where your heart rate is maxed out, you burn sugars. This normally converts to fat in your body so you are in effect not gaining it but the stored fat is never accesssed. In the end you do what you enjoy the most because if you don't you'll stop and it will all come back.
From what I've read (and from my own experience) it's benefit is mostly because of increased metabolic rate following the workout:

"HIIT increases the resting metabolic rate (RMR) for the following 24 hours due to excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, and may improve maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max) more effectively than doing only traditional, long aerobic workouts.[4][5][6][7] Long aerobic workouts have been promoted as the best method to reduce fat, as fatty acid utilization usually occurs after at least 30 minutes of training. HIIT is somewhat counter intuitive in this regard, but has nonetheless been shown to burn fat more effectively. There may be a number of factors that contribute to this, including an increase in RMR, and possibly other physiological effects."

Source

Old
05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
something that works with the colon??? It cannot possibly work.
believe ME , it works and works fast

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
believe ME , it works and works fast
Well you may lose weight, but you won't lose fat..........

That stuff is funny.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madvie View Post
For anyone that can help me out...

I'm a girl, 5'4" and in the healthy weight range. I just don't think I take good care of my body and would like to get into shape (and a flatter stomach especially since it's summer). Thing is, I'm vegetarian too, which makes it really hard to follow specific diets when you're a student like me. In fact, I tend to forget to eat sometimes or grab something that isn't the best in terms of health (although for fast food, I don't really eat anything worse than zaatars and bagels).

I have no clue where to start..
Sounds to me like watching your fat and sugar intake (I think 60g/day is supposed to be the max amount of fat that's considered healthy) and making sure you're getting a decent amount of protein would be your first step. Good vegetarian sources of protein are nuts, peanut butter, eggs and dairy products (as long as you're not vegan), and tofu. There must be websites out there that would provide you with good vegetarian meal options and recipes, although I know it can be hard to do much cooking when you're in school.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2008, 01:40 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
Sounds to me like watching your fat and sugar intake (I think 60g/day is supposed to be the max amount of fat that's considered healthy) and making sure you're getting a decent amount of protein would be your first step. Good vegetarian sources of protein are nuts, peanut butter, eggs and dairy products (as long as you're not vegan), and tofu. There must be websites out there that would provide you with good vegetarian meal options and recipes, although I know it can be hard to do much cooking when you're in school.
Another great source of 'vegetarian" protein is buckwheat. Surprisingly, it is actually not a grain, but a fruit. I've used it especially while doing my D-Tox cleanses.

Checkout it's chemical composition here. 18% Protein with a > 90% BV. Pretty powerful stuff. Loaded with lots of other goodies too, such as iron for the ladies and vegetarians .

Old
05-15-2008, 01:04 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Hey guys!!

So I've been working hard on deciding what I want to do as far as Diet/Workout plan goes.. and right now I've got the diet plan done to a tee. I think it's pretty solid to start off. I'll probably use this plan for 3 months or so, and switch to something else. I haven't QUITE finished my days off diet plan, but they will be similar except instead of going to work, I'll probably be watching movies or playing sports or something.. The hardest part was the simple fact that I work nights and different shifts all the time. Anyway here it is;

DIET PLAN

CURRENT CALORIE INTAKE: 1,750
FAT INTAKE: Approximately 18% or 35-40g.
CARB INTAKE: Approximately 42% or 185-190g.
PROTEIN INTAKE: Approximately 40% or 175-180g.
SODIUM INTAKE: Approximately 750-900 MG.

Substitute chicken w/ turkey at least two days per week.

NOT YET ADDED IN TIME, BUT ADDED IN CALORIE TOTAL: 4 Cups of milk per day.

WORK DAYS
6-4

4:30 AM 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

6:30 AM Sleep

12:45 PM Work-Out

2:00 PM - 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

2:30 PM Sleep / Rest

4:45 PM 1 cup of rice w/ chicken

5:00 PM Shower, get ready for work.

5:30 PM Leave for work.

8:00 PM 9:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

10:30 PM 11:30 PM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

1:30 AM 2:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

7-5

5:30 AM 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

7:30 AM Sleep

1:45 PM Work-Out

3:00 PM - 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

3:30 PM Sleep / Rest

5:45 PM 1 cup of rice w/ chicken

6:00 PM Shower, get ready for work.

6:30 PM Leave for work.

9:00 PM 10:00 PM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

11:30 PM 12:30 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

2:30 AM 3:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

8-6

6:30 AM 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

8:30 AM Sleep

2:45 PM Work-Out

4:00 PM - 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

4:30 PM Sleep / Rest

6:45 PM 1 cup of rice w/ chicken

7:00 PM Shower, get ready for work.

7:30 PM Leave for work.

10:00 PM 11:00 PM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

12:30 AM 1:30 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

3:30 AM 4:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

9-7

7:30 AM 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

9:30 AM Sleep

3:45 PM Work-Out

5:00 PM - 1-Cup Cottage Cheese. (Low Sodium)

5:30 PM Sleep / Rest

7:45 PM 1 cup of rice w/ chicken

8:00 PM Shower, get ready for work.

8:30 PM Leave for work.

11:00 PM 12:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

1:30 AM 2:30 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

4:30 AM 5:00 AM (break pending): 1 cup of rice w/ chicken.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Not that there is anything wrong with your diet Natey. But you might want to add some variety, or you will be bored of that diet in about a week.