HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Postgame Interview

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2008, 10:32 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 500
Avery Postgame Interview

It's about time this guy finally decided to talk to MSG again.

Laugh your hearts out! I appologize for the not so great quality, however the sound is fairly well and it suffices.

ENJOY!

Old
04-18-2008, 10:34 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

The classic quote of the series:

"Fatso forgot to shake my hand"

04-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
"He's going home, and I'm going on".

Good stuff, Sean.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's on the NHL network now

Old
04-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I really do want a Marty Fatso avatar.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Sm0otHocKeySPeeD

Send a message via AIM to Sm0otHocKeySPeeD
We outplayed them....I outplayed them and we're movin on to the second round.

LMAO...this guy is great.

I know its too early, but...if we win it this year...Sign this guy to whatever he wants!!

-Brian

Old
04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
mrwarped

from a devils fan POV I would love to gulliotine choke him lol. Anyway, do you think he'll still be around after this season? cause I read I think in the NY Times that he wants around 4 million a year...worth it?

Old
04-18-2008, 10:47 PM
NYR425

I must say Avery is effective on the ice, but I think he is a jerk. I would not give him 1 penny next season. He is the reason why we never get calls.... I say thank you for what you have done for us, but good bye after he playoffs end.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Honestly, I've felt this way for awhile...I just don't see how you cannot re-sign him citing he may spiral out of control. I can see if you think his production won't match his salary, but we've seen the dirt he's kicked up and its nothing to be worried about.

What does everyone think is the worst that could happen? On a stage like MSG, in NY, I don't think he'd be able to act detrimentally. The fans are different, the whole scene is different. You can't really say what happened in LA will happen here. New York loves guys like this.

Just MO.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
Old
04-18-2008, 10:49 PM
sbresistor

Avery is crap - you'll see after you pay him how mediocre he will be

Old
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Honestly, I've felt this way for awhile...I just don't see how you cannot re-sign him citing he may spiral out of control. I can see if you think his production won't match his salary, but we've seen the dirt he's kicked up and its nothing to be worried about.

What does everyone think is the worst that could happen? On a stage like MSG, in NY, I don't think he'd be able to act detrimentally. The fans are different, the whole scene is different. You can't really say what happened in LA will happen here. New York loves guys like this.

Just MO.
I don't think it was the city of LA that got sick of Avery. It was his teammates and the organization that were sick of his garbage. So while New York may love guys like this (which I don't really get why you say that in the first place), it all depends on his teammates and the organization. And the most loved athlete in NY is Derek Jeter probably, the complete opposite of Sean Avery.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:51 PM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
I must say Avery is effective on the ice, but I think he is a jerk. I would not give him 1 penny next season. He is the reason why we never get calls.... I say thank you for what you have done for us, but good bye after he playoffs end.
April Fools.... I hope...

Being a Ranger fan, I'd expect ever NY Rangers fan to absolutely love this guy. Avery draws penalties and puts up some solid numbers. How could you not want this guy back?

Old
04-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Pizza

[QUOTE=mrwarped;13743395]from a devils fan POV I would love to gulliotine choke him lol. Anyway, do you think he'll still be around after this season? cause I read I think in the NY Times that he wants around 4 million a year...worth it?[/QUOTE]

A month ago I would have said no way!!

Now????

If he has three more series like this one, me thinks he'll get what he wants.

Old
04-18-2008, 10:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=280418011
Quote:
"Everyone talks about how much class I don't have, well it's the end of the series and men go to war against each other," Avery said. "I guess he forgot to shake my hand. I don't know if anyone saw that. Of course I was going to shake his hand."
Way to take things out of context AP

Old
04-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
As much as I don't like Avery's normal antics, he showed a real professional maturity tonight. Not only by not retaliating against the many cross-checks, collar pulls, high hits, late hits, etc., but also by coming on air after the game and showing he has some class and is self-reflecting.

He certainly got a couple of pluses in my book tonight.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

He never paid for sex, the people who were arrested for running the prostitution ring said the book was bs and that Avery was never a client.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
I don't think it was the city of LA that got sick of Avery. It was his teammates and the organization that were sick of his garbage. So while New York may love guys like this (which I don't really get why you say that in the first place), it all depends on his teammates and the organization. And the most loved athlete in NY is Derek Jeter probably, the complete opposite of Sean Avery.
The hatred for a guy like Avery spiraled down from the players and coaches all the way to the fans. The fanbase I'd say was split at the time, with alot of the pro-Avery fans coming out after they saw his short-term success with the Rangers.

You're right, maybe it is all cities. But it is clear that anything Avery does provides the entertainment value for some of the fair weather fans, while the physical confrontations excite the most dedicated. Anytime there is a fight between Avery and an opponent, I think of the vibe the ancient Roman Gladiators and spectators created. Everyone stands up, calls for the other guys head, and celebrates Avery afterwards. You definitely don't see this happen with too many other guys, I'd say only Shanny.

Jeter has charisma just like Avery. The championships help alot. People in general like winners and guys that create a buzz - positive or negative.

Anyways, just meant to say that I can't see him having a breakdown like most people say.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
This is true. I think that the Ranger locker room can tolerate him as long as Shanahan is there. Given his on ice production, they will probably be willing to overlook a lot.

My feeling is that Avery won't be back because he will take the money, and someone will offer him more than Sather.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
This is true. I think that the Ranger locker room can tolerate him as long as Shanahan is there. Given his on ice production, they will probably be willing to overlook a lot.
Where has it been said that the team will only tolerate him as long as Shanahan is there?

You hear what Drury said?

Avery probably needed Shanahan's support for about a month last year during his transition to the new NYR team. I'm going to bet the guys are willing to play with whoever gives them the best chance at a championship. Over the course of a season, its guys like Avery who bring the team together.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:10 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
Your crazy man. Remember Esa Tikanen? Guys hated him too.......he talked just as much smack as Avery, you just couldn't understand it, which could be worse if you think about it. Thing is Tik could put the puck in the net and took the punishment that came with his position on the team, just like Avery does. Having a pest is one thing, having a pest who can score and back up his talk is another. He is good at what he does and he should be paid for it.........is there a better agitator in the NHL than Avery? Don't think so.

Anyhow back to the Marty thing, I am really disapointed with him. I hate the Devils but I always respected Marty because he is really one of the best goalies ever. I understand he hates Avery but you gotta shake the guys hand. I'm just disapointed with him and lost some respect to be honest. Avery had every right to say whatever he wanted to in a post game interview.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
As much as I don't like Avery's normal antics, he showed a real professional maturity tonight. Not only by not retaliating against the many cross-checks, collar pulls, high hits, late hits, etc., but also by coming on air after the game and showing he has some class and is self-reflecting.

He certainly got a couple of pluses in my book tonight.
What are you referring to exactly? He did offer to shake Marty's hand. But this was after he won the series. I would like to see what he does if he had lost this series though. Its easy to be "classy" when you win. Remember that.

Also, the post game interview was anything but classy. He insulted 2 other players and called one of them FATSO. He can say whatever he wants and i don't blame you guys for liking him. But to say that the post game interview was "self reflecting" and "classy" is a stretch. Like many of you say though "he's doing his job" and you guys love it. I get that. But it doesn't mean you have to stretch it to saying he's classy.

Sorry for the numerous uses of "class" as i know that is a big no no lately on here.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
pld459666

Quote:
The NY Fans love players that play with their hearts on their sleeve. Avery does that. Ian Lapierre did that for a short time in NY and they started loving him as well.

Clemens was a nasty SOB on the mound and he was loved for it.

The Knicks of the mid 90's were ****** to play against the the City loved them as well.

For every Jeter there are more Avery types that teh Rangers faithful love.

As for Avery's tenure in LA, he was shipped out because he was not allowed to play his game. Yes it rubs some people the wrong way, but the guy is effective doing what he does and the Rangers record with him in and out of the line-up cannot be argued.

Personally I'd try to get a Cooke or a Neil or a Tucker here next year, we actually need more Avery type players. He's a guy that creates room for his teammates as he usually draws a crowd for reasons other than playing defence.

The problem most have with Avery is that they truly hate to admit that he has skills so they focus in on the other stuff he does, yet they forget he's a solid defensive player and is actually very good offensively as well.

Hate on him all you want, but the man can play the game, and can play on my team any day of the week.

Being a classy organization is always secondary to winning and should be.

Classy doesn't pay the rent.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
DutchShamrock

We didn't get calls before Avery was a Ranger, I really don't think he's changing anything in the league or in NY right now.

What he did was draw all the attention to himself with his play. This is the first quotes the media have pulled from him all series. He's not getting attention for his mouth but with his game. That also got the Devils focused on him, it gave them excuses for why they were losing, which they thought about alot. The other Rangers didn't have to deal with the media blitz, they were able to focus on the next game, think about x's and o's. The Devils thought about Avery. He was a huge factor in this series.

We have to re-sign him, he is the New York Rangers right now. We have grit, we have an edge, a chip on the shoulder. While Drury, Gomez and Shanny lead the lockerroom, Avery is out there leading in the attitude department. Don't underestimate the importance of swagger... the belief that you are better and tougher. He is pivotal to our success.

Alot of you fans have to get over the idea that we are supposed to be doormats in this league. Everyone slaps us at every opportunity and we're conditioned to turn the other cheek. Get over it, this is what we need.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbresistor View Post
I don't know, maybe it was the stunt Avery pulled in game 3? Do you really think Avery is one to say anything about class?
Yes he can say something about it cause HE had his hand out and I don't think he is the biggest Marty fan.

Old
04-18-2008, 11:16 PM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Being a classy organization is always secondary to winning and should be.

Classy doesn't pay the rent.
I never put class ahead of winning.

Closed Thread