HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/Tor edm/buff Proposals

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 04:33 AM
Chayos

vCash: 500
Edm/Tor edm/buff Proposals

Would these two teams make these deals.

Smyth and Smith for Andropov, Kaberle and 1st

or

Laraque and Philly's 1st 2004 for Biron and 4th

These two deals would address a lot of the weak points in the oilers lineup, but i am not sure the other teams would do the deals.

Old
02-08-2004, 04:40 AM
leafaholix*

Smyth and Smith for Antropov, Kaberle, and a 1st Round pick? No.

Old
02-08-2004, 05:59 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
Smyth and Smith for Antropov, Kaberle, and a 1st Round pick? No.
Oh I'm sorry... small downgrade in defense for MASSIVE upgrade upfront?

Old
02-08-2004, 06:22 AM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Oh I'm sorry... small downgrade in defense for MASSIVE upgrade upfront?
I think his disagreement would center around the fact that Toronto cannot afford to weaken themselves defensively.
They already have one of the most potent offences in the NHL when healthy, their defence is their main problem.

Another factor is Toronto would get older by making this deal, on an already extremely veteran laden roster and further depleting an already relatively lackluster prospect group by dealing their 1st round pick.

They would also lack a draft pick until the 3rd round as they do not have a 2nd rounder this yr.

02-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
I think his disagreement would center around the fact that Toronto cannot afford to weaken themselves defensively.
They already have one of the most potent offences in the NHL when healthy, their defence is their main problem.

Another factor is Toronto would get older by making this deal, on an already extremely veteran laden roster and further depleting an already relatively lackluster prospect group by dealing their 1st round pick.

They would also lack a draft pick until the 3rd round as they do not have a 2nd rounder this yr.
Smyth and Smith aren't exactly over the hill. They aren't dealing for guys in their last legs.

But I do get your point.

Old
02-08-2004, 08:41 AM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
Smyth and Smith aren't exactly over the hill. They aren't dealing for guys in their last legs.

But I do get your point.
It makes no sense for the Leafs to deal Antropov because his market value is pretty low right now. It would be in their best interest to hold on to him and hope he can stay injury free.

That is of course assuming that he isn't "rumoured" to be involved in a great trade, of which this is NOT from a Toronto stand-point.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:21 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1

No thanks.Biron has been our best goalie this year,and we're going to get a 1st in the 25-30 range.You can classify Laraque as an enforcer,or anything like that,he is still a 4th liner and wouldn't really offset the loss that losing Biron would bring.

Old
02-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
Would these two teams make these deals.

Smyth and Smith for Andropov, Kaberle and 1st

or

These two deals would address a lot of the weak points in the oilers lineup, but i am not sure the other teams would do the deals.
How about this for a EDM-TOR proposal

To TOR: Smyth, Brewer, 3rd
To EDM: Kaberle, Antropov, Tucker

Seem fair?

Old
02-08-2004, 10:58 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
How about this for a EDM-TOR proposal

To TOR: Smyth, Brewer, 3rd
To EDM: Kaberle, Antropov, Tucker

Seem fair?
NO !!

We are not trading Brewer. And definatly not for Tucker who almost everyone outside of TO hates. If the Oilers pick up Tucker I will not renew my season tickets and will start looking for a new team to watch. I despise him.

It might be fair value wise, but now way do we trade a great person like Smyth for a cancer like Tucker.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:18 AM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
NO !!

We are not trading Brewer. And definatly not for Tucker who almost everyone outside of TO hates. If the Oilers pick up Tucker I will not renew my season tickets and will start looking for a new team to watch. I despise him.

It might be fair value wise, but now way do we trade a great person like Smyth for a cancer like Tucker.
Yes, everyone hates him, he gets under player's skin, Exactly the type of player Big Georges needs to play with. If he can keep his shenanigans under wraps, i would welcome him to Etown. 15 goals, a +10, can play either wing, or top 6 or bottom 6 for that matter. Ithink your tune would change after seeing him in oiler silks for a 1/2 season. He's gritty, tenasiouc, and has a desire to play. High risk/high reward IMO.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:21 AM
hunter orange

Would Toronto do

Kaberle, Antropov ----- for ------ Smyth, Staois, Chimera ?

Old
02-08-2004, 11:21 AM
Timmer

Quote:
NO !!
I guess you haven't been paying attention this year then,.....Tucker is no cancer.

It truely amazes me how much people believe the media in all of this.

Here's a news flash.

The media don't know squat!!!!!!!!!

AND

If you had been paying attention, you would know that even most of the media doesn't believe this anymore.

Cest la vie.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:28 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
Yes, everyone hates him, he gets under player's skin, Exactly the type of player Big Georges needs to play with. If he can keep his shenanigans under wraps, i would welcome him to Etown. 15 goals, a +10, can play either wing, or top 6 or bottom 6 for that matter. Ithink your tune would change after seeing him in oiler silks for a 1/2 season. He's gritty, tenasiouc, and has a desire to play. High risk/high reward IMO.
It isn't the part about getting under players skin. I am fine with that. The Oilers had Tikk who was the best at that. I hate him for taking stupid penalties late in a game and having absolutely no common sense. He is easy to goad into plenalties. I also think he is a cheap player who will intentionally try to injure players. Peca anyone?

Yes he has some offensive skill but it isn't worth it. Besides we have too many wingers as it is.

He is not welcome in Edmonton. At least not by me or any other Oiler fan I know. I really think you are alone in your desire for Tucker

Old
02-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Limey

Send a message via ICQ to Limey Send a message via AIM to Limey Send a message via MSN to Limey
Why is it people keep thinking Edmonton is cutting salary by potentially trading Smyth? The reason Lowe signed him to a lower contract last summer was to avoid the Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Niinima situation where we trade for losers who aren't even on the roster.

If you seriously want Smyth we need a top 3 forward or a top 2 d-man or a top goalie in return - this guy is beginning to return to form and he's our top winger. Antropov? Seriously - that guys worth as much as Horcoff. :mad:

Old
02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer
I guess you haven't been paying attention this year then,.....Tucker is no cancer.

It truely amazes me how much people believe the media in all of this.

Here's a news flash.

The media don't know squat!!!!!!!!!

AND

If you had been paying attention, you would know that even most of the media doesn't believe this anymore.

Cest la vie.

That said, Tucker still isn't in Smyth's class. As for the proposal, Edmonton downgrades all-around.

Old
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
No thanks.Biron has been our best goalie this year,and we're going to get a 1st in the 25-30 range.You can classify Laraque as an enforcer,or anything like that,he is still a 4th liner and wouldn't really offset the loss that losing Biron would bring.
Biron has not been the best Sabre goalie this year (unless of course you mean calendar year). He's been the best goalie over the past 3 weeks. And exactly what loss would Biron bring? We slash a couple $mil off the payroff and finally bring some order to the goaltending mess. Mika is the better option...cheaper, younger and at this point has more upside considering Biron's perpetual inconsistencies. All this without even mentioning that Mika still has a better GAA and PCT this season. I would agree that Biron provides the best chance for making the playoffs, but at this point, we're so far back it doesn't matter who's in net. Biron hasn't solidified has spot on the roster with his recent play, he's jacked his trade value (nevermind what Darcy says ).

Old
02-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter orange
Would Toronto do

Kaberle, Antropov ----- for ------ Smyth, Staois, Chimera ?
Probably not.

Old
02-08-2004, 12:40 PM
boxall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Probably not.
Neither should the Oilers.

Old
02-08-2004, 01:26 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Biron has not been the best Sabre goalie this year (unless of course you mean calendar year). He's been the best goalie over the past 3 weeks. And exactly what loss would Biron bring? We slash a couple $mil off the payroff and finally bring some order to the goaltending mess. Mika is the better option...cheaper, younger and at this point has more upside considering Biron's perpetual inconsistencies. All this without even mentioning that Mika still has a better GAA and PCT this season. I would agree that Biron provides the best chance for making the playoffs, but at this point, we're so far back it doesn't matter who's in net. Biron hasn't solidified has spot on the roster with his recent play, he's jacked his trade value (nevermind what Darcy says ).
Well who has the better winning record?Whoever wins more is the best goalie on the team and that is Biron.Noronen has been just as inconsistent as Biron, playing brilliant a few games then letting in a few weak goals.Laraque would bring toughness and grit......we need defensive help and some more secondary scoring(we will probably need to trade for defensive help but secondary scoring can come from Kotalik and Afinogenov if they become more consistent).

Old
02-08-2004, 01:36 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey
Why is it people keep thinking Edmonton is cutting salary by potentially trading Smyth? The reason Lowe signed him to a lower contract last summer was to avoid the Doug Weight, Bill Guerin, Niinima situation where we trade for losers who aren't even on the roster.

If you seriously want Smyth we need a top 3 forward or a top 2 d-man or a top goalie in return - this guy is beginning to return to form and he's our top winger. Antropov? Seriously - that guys worth as much as Horcoff. :mad:
What losers are you talking about when you say Doug Weight, Bill Guerin and Niinima were traded for losers who aren't even a roster?

Weight was traded to St. Louis for Hecht and Reasoner. The reason Reasoner's isn't playing is because he was seriously injured at the ACC trying to avoid an icing and crashed into the boards. He's on IR. Hecht was traded to Buffalo for 2 second round draft picks (Stoll, Delauriers). Stoll is a regular on the team.

Guerin was traded to Boston for a switch of first round picks (Edmonton took Hemsky), and Boston's second round pick (Edmonton took Lynch). Hemsky is a regular on the roster and Lynch was called up and played a few games.

Ninimaa and a draft pick were traded to the NY Islanders for Raffi Torres and Brad Isbister. Both are regulars on the team. Torres is the leading goal scorer for the Oilers. Isbister is a regular on the Oilers but is having trouble staying healthy.

02-08-2004, 01:47 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
What losers are you talking about when you say Doug Weight, Bill Guerin and Niinima were traded for losers who aren't even a roster?

Weight was traded to St. Louis for Hecht and Reasoner. The reason Reasoner's isn't playing is because he was seriously injured at the ACC trying to avoid an icing and crashed into the boards. He's on IR. Hecht was traded to Buffalo for 2 second round draft picks (Stoll, Delauriers). Stoll is a regular on the team.

Guerin was traded to Boston for a switch of first round picks (Edmonton took Hemsky), and Boston's second round pick (Edmonton took Lynch). Hemsky is a regular on the roster and Lynch was called up and played a few games.

Ninimaa and a draft pick were traded to the NY Islanders for Raffi Torres and Brad Isbister. Both are regulars on the team. Torres is the leading goal scorer for the Oilers. Isbister is a regular on the Oilers but is having trouble staying healthy.
Uh you forgot Guerin also got us Carter, who got us Dvorak. who has been one of the most popluar Oilers this year. He is starting to get rewarded point wise too. isn't he lading the team in assists? or at least very close to York?

Old
02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Uh you forgot Guerin also got us Carter, who got us Dvorak. who has been one of the most popluar Oilers this year. He is starting to get rewarded point wise too. isn't he lading the team in assists? or at least very close to York?
Yeah, I forgot about Carter. I believe Dvorak is leading the team in assists and is second in points (35 points).

Old
02-09-2004, 01:40 AM
Limey

Send a message via ICQ to Limey Send a message via AIM to Limey Send a message via MSN to Limey
Quote:

Yeah - you're right guys - sorry for the emotional response there and thanks for reminding me of the dividends the Oil have received. I guess I'm just frustrated and impatient. The point I was trying to make was overshadowed - I don't like the idea of trading what I believe to be a top line asset for either a player who won't be a top line asset or we'll have to wait for a while to see how they pan out. I figure we've got enough of those folks who'll take a few years to pan out.

Guess I'm just a closet Oil fan who wants to see a bit of dividends paying off now. So if we do trade Smyth now I would want to see someone who can help the team now and in the next short in a large impact manner.

I was suggesting that I didn't want to trade for someone who wouldn't make our roster now. Thank you for pointing those things out man. I do agree with you folks - I like the Torres/Izzy/Stoll/Deslauriers/D-Vo things we've gotten - but it always takes a while. We're always trading all-stars in their prime or next to prime away for 2-3 future assets - some who've panned out - others who are still in the works.

My loser comment was ill-written - apologies - I was more looking at the returns folks were offering.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Well who has the better winning record?Whoever wins more is the best goalie on the team and that is Biron.
I don't know the stats, but I would venture to say the team has scored more goals in front of Biron than they have in front of Noronen. At least it seems that way.

Quote:
Noronen has been just as inconsistent as Biron, playing brilliant a few games then letting in a few weak goals.
Agreed. And that's why, with their play being equal, I would take the younger and cheaper Noronen.

Quote:
Laraque would bring toughness and grit......we need defensive help and some more secondary scoring(we will probably need to trade for defensive help but secondary scoring can come from Kotalik and Afinogenov if they become more consistent).
We certainly need defensive help and I would deal Biron for Ja. Smith in a heartbeat. Secondary scoring is the least of our concerns as our entire forward corps fits that role. We need a #1 center...and maybe another goon/energy guy for the bottom 6.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
I don't know the stats, but I would venture to say the team has scored more goals in front of Biron than they have in front of Noronen. At least it seems that way.
Good guess. In Biron's 28 starts this season the Sabres have scored 76 goals for an average of 2.71 per game. In Noronen's 24 starts, Buffalo has scored 54, 2.25 a game. And in one of those Noronen starts he played 7 minutes before being yanked in a game Buffalo won 4-3, so the numbers are even further apart than it looks.

Closed Thread