HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game takes - Bruins simply want it more

Old
04-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Adam91

vCash: 500
- Completley outcoached, I simply don't by the fact that the Bruins want it more, in the playoffs strategy is just as important as heart.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

great hockey game
you could feel the bruins were gonna get some bounces eventually in this game with the chances they were getting, few real ugly goals on both sides
same story as last game, montreal stopped skating in the 2nd period, price was stellar as well as koivu,higgins,lucie,kessel
its cliche but i think this can still go either way, with the way goals are scored in the playoffs

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:07 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Are you a Ryder fan?

He's not being mauled by Chara when he's asked to clear the zone or, god forbid, backcheck.

It sucks that his offensive creativity is being subdued. But coasting after his linemates lose the puck and coming back just in time to dig the puck out of the net is a disgrace to the jersey.
I'm talking about when he's in the Bruins zone trying to score. Did he not make a great play on the winning goal in the defensive zone, you're damn right, just as Cherry was sure to show.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Hab-a-maniac

I don't think the Habs quit tonight. After all, they had 3 different leads. But we're always giving up those leads in the 3rd. It's about our lack of finish and all year we let teams back into games but when we were up by 3 or 4 and it was more acceptable then. If we bring the same kind of intensity and drive to game 7 in Montreal, I think we can win. But the defense has to step up. It's been really weak in the past 2 games and I can't blame Price. He's facing a billion more scoring chances per game than he ever saw at the end of the reg. season.

I think the Habs improved on game 5 tonight but the team effort was still inadequate. Game 7 may see the Bruins go in with momentum but the Habs need their offense to get its act together. I still have confidence, but the Bruins are not going to roll over and die we know that. They have an unlimited amount of energy it seems, but the Habs are going to have to score and score often as Boston's offensive game is in top form now too. And if we win game 7, we'll all breath the biggest sigh of relief ever, deflect all the critics and get ready for whatever's next. I can't believe it's 2 days away now. I've got to write a final exam that morning! What a stressful day it's going to be.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Outworked and outplayed. Price wasn't able to make the big saves, players not ready to pay the price, coaches not able to adjust.

Great team loss tonight.

Would be the easier thing to do to only blame the coach once again....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I'm tired of the «no heart» and «Bruins want it more» comments. Its pure crap. The guy are really working hard out there and giving their all but the problem is that they are really not comfortable at playing defensive hockey.

Because of the Carbo system they are playing on their heels and they clearly dont have the line up to play that style. They dont look comfortable at all on the ice.
Totally agree man...biggest reason why we're loosing the series = PP...Since the start of the series the coaching hasn't done **** to adjust. I just see Streit breaking the plays shooting the puck hoping it will go through some player including Tim Thomas.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I feel playoff hockey is less entertaining than regular season hockey because I miss the skating and the passing. Board battles and deflection goals just don't do it for me. YMMV, and it probably does, but to me, I watch hockey for the speed and skill, not for the board scrums.

Granted... it may just be a function of playing the Bruins.
This is an oversimplified way of looking at it...great playoff hockey is about end-to-end action which includes great speed and skill and also includes winning the battles along the boards to maintain pressure and control, to create additional scoring chances.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:10 PM
m00ks

I don't know about you guys but this must have been the most entertaining hockey game I've witnessed all season. Too bad Koivu was out for so long. This series could have been over.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
- Completley outcoached, I simply don't by the fact that the Bruins want it more, in the playoffs strategy is just as important as heart.
Totally agree, Carbo is being schooled ... and remember, Julien was fired for Carbo, and the Bruins players would love nothing more than to oust the 1st place Habs who embarressed them all season. Boston has all the desire to win this series, and unfortunately because of the screwup in game 5 (yes, Price's gift of a 2nd goal in a 1-1 third period game) all the momentum now.

Game 7 is not what Mtl wanted or needed, but they damn sure got it.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:12 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Any team who can win a series going 2/27 or whatever it is on the PP, is either really lucky or really good. In our case, we're probably lucky. Our PP has to be the worst in the playoffs but put any team in the league, including the vaunted Pens, against Boston and no one, and I mean NO ONE, wins this series in less than 6 games.

So yes Habs deserve to be assailed for their performance but Boston is just playing that much better than expected. Maybe it's just them being a cinderella team of destiny. That's no excuse for Montreal obviously, but let's put it in context. Does anyone really think the Bruins'd get killed if it wasn't the Habs they were facing? Hell, if anything they'd have a better time with someone else considering we owned them in the reg. season.

Old
04-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Adam91

Quote:
I'm tired of the «no heart» and «Bruins want it more» comments. Its pure crap. The guy are really working hard out there and giving their all but the problem is that they are really not comfortable at playing defensive hockey.

Because of the Carbo system they are playing on their heels and they clearly dont have the line up to play that style. They dont look comfortable at all on the ice.
Post of the night.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:16 PM
LesHabsRock

What is most frustrating is that Boston is held to 1 goal the whole game and they get 4 goals in the third period. That's just disgraceful for our habs. When the Bruins tied it 2-2 in the third Habs grabbed the lead again 3-2 with the Bouillon goal. I thought that was the dagger, but the Bruins came back and the Habs continued their defensive breakdowns. Terrible. Two games in a row we allowed 4 goals in the third period. That's horrible and tough to swallow.

The only positives I get from this game is the spark in the offense from Koivu being in the lineup as the second line has life again. It's no coincidence Higgins get's 2 goals, Sergei Kost get's two assists and Koivu get's two assists. Koivu's presence was needed all series. Hopefully Koivu continue's his domination in the faceoff circle and the Habs win the next game. I am still in disbelief at how they blew that game especially after Higgins tied it at 4-4 so quickly.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:17 PM
MathMan

Carbo is not coaching defensive hockey. Carbo is coaching playoff hockey. And the team isn't too good at coping with it.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Gotta give credits to the Bruins. They've been a completely different team in this playoffs than during the season (against us at least).

Time to win it on monday!

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:19 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Are you a Ryder fan?
Yes, I am...Do you have a problem with that?...I don't have any problem with defending the fact that Ryder deserves a fair chance...By the way, are you a LATS fan?

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:20 PM
David

Quote:

Yes, Plekanecs IS playing like a little girl and Kovalev like his little sister!

I think that it's a combination of Carbo being outcoached and CH players being too much of prima donnas to sacrifice to do whatever it takes to win.

I think that the biggest problem is that the players think that they are better than they really are...which is perfectly illustrated by Kovalev...and his refusal to pay the price and do whatever it takes to win.

I think that Kovalev and many of the guys think that they are so good that they don't have to do the dirty work! The attitude of "Damn it! We are the Eastern Conference Champs!"

Sadly they don't seem to realize that the regular season doesn't count for anything and that the playoffs are a brand new season.

I still believe that this team can win the CUP in the next three years...but I think that they'll need to add a Ethan Moreau type of player...still too many pansies on the team who won't pay the price to win.

Let's see what CH is really made of on Monday...

PS. Where are the idiots who wanted to get rid of Koivu all this time?!? It sure ain't gonna be pansies like Kovalev who's gonna lead this team to the CUP!

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:21 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Outworked and outplayed. Price wasn't able to make the big saves, players not ready to pay the price, coaches not able to adjust.

Great team loss tonight.

Would be the easier thing to do to only blame the coach once again....
Price stopped a breakaway. Made countless big toe saves. Sure, it would've been nice for him to steal one of those third period goals.

But, I said it and all of you agreed before the play-offs. Price as a 20-year old goalie only needs to not lose a game. Not cost us a game. So far, except for one out of three, he won us games.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs514

Quote:

Exactly!!! We are trying to play a type of game our players are not used to. We need to play like in game one.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
What is most frustrating is that Boston is held to 1 goal the whole game and they get 4 goals in the third period. That's just disgraceful for our habs. When the Bruins tied it 2-2 in the third Habs grabbed the lead again 3-2 with the Bouillon goal. I thought that was the dagger, but the Bruins came back and the Habs continued their defensive breakdowns. Terrible. Two games in a row we allowed 4 goals in the third period. That's horrible and tough to swallow.

The only positives I get from this game is the spark in the offense from Koivu being in the lineup as the second line has life again. It's no coincidence Higgins get's 2 goals, Sergei Kost get's two assists and Koivu get's two assists. Koivu's presence was needed all series. Hopefully Koivu continue's his domination in the faceoff circle and the Habs win the next game. I am still in disbelief at how they blew that game especially after Higgins tied it at 4-4 so quickly.
I agree.

This was a battle. If folks do not know we are in a battle yet, well it is unfortunate

Koivu gave the habs a lot tonite. I think that carries forward.

We go to game 7. Play ahrd and good things will happen

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I don't know about you guys but this must have been the most entertaining hockey game I've witnessed all season. Too bad Koivu was out for so long. This series could have been over.
exactly what i was thinking, koivu was a horse, winning faceoffs and races to the puck
sadly kovalev lost intensity lately, hes frustrated, but at least stopped trying to stick handle through everyone near the end of the game got more basic
this team has shown what they can do when they keep up the intensity, i think they won't give up now

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:23 PM
superstar436

what a show
the most exciting game of the series and even of the year even though we lost. REminds me of the leafs game last year.

PP still not working. I think the problem is streit+markov+kovalev.
They make dumb decisions by holding on too much to it or shoot it when they should not. They did not move the puck well at all.

one-on-one battles were key once again. besides the koivu and smokes lines the others can't win them.
Down 4-3 and 2 minutes left, I see a line of smokes+kosto+begin . CArbo carbo carbo never changes.

Breezer is exhausted. O'byrne should play

Kovalev line still too fancy

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

I unfortunately don't agree with you. You don't lose most of your 1 on 1 battles and always got beat to the puck when you're playing defensive hockey.

Habs have been atrocious in the regular season, every single time a team has come hard on them and playing the way Boston is doing in the playoffs. Reason why we keep saying that it's a different total season. Now Habs have to face a team that does it every single game. We just cannot sustain the pressure.

How many times did we hear, "whenever we face a team that just wants to play hockey, skate with not a lot of physical play, we just completely dominate". But whenever it's physical and tight, we're not there too much. Somebody brought that we had a winning record against Jersey. Well clearly, Jersey wasn't that great defensively after all and Brodeur clearly shows that he had his best years....

We are simply not build for the playoffs. While we don't need tons of adjustments, we need a few to say the least. I have a dream that one day, we won't have 8 d-men dressed in a game...

Old
04-19-2008, 11:28 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I unfortunately don't agree with you. You don't lose most of your 1 on 1 battles and always got beat to the puck when you're playing defensive hockey.

Habs have been atrocious in the regular season, every single time a team has come hard on them and playing the way Boston is doing in the playoffs. Reason why we keep saying that it's a different total season. Now Habs have to face a team that does it every single game. We just cannot sustain the pressure.

How many times did we hear, "whenever we face a team that just wants to play hockey, skate with not a lot of physical play, we just completely dominate". But whenever it's physical and tight, we're not there too much. Somebody brought that we had a winning record against Jersey. Well clearly, Jersey wasn't that great defensively after all and Brodeur clearly shows that he had his best years....

We are simply not build for the playoffs. While we don't need tons of adjustments, we need a few to say the least. I have a dream that one day, we won't have 8 d-men dressed in a game...
It's the exact way the Leafs always beat us in the regular season and could probably give us a run for our money in a playoff series too. When will management realize that the Habs need more size. A team full of weaker, 5'11 190 lb. forwards will not win you stanley cups and will not get you deep in the playoffs. It's this kind of softness that has hampered the Red Wings in early round series for years. So, basically I am in total agreement with you on this.

Old
04-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Price stopped a breakaway. Made countless big toe saves. Sure, it would've been nice for him to steal one of those third period goals.

But, I said it and all of you agreed before the play-offs. Price as a 20-year old goalie only needs to not lose a game. Not cost us a game. So far, except for one out of three, he won us games.
Price is a rookie and honestly, I wasn't, I'm not and won't expect him to be that ****in saviour everyone wants us to believe he already is. So I'm not blaming him, I'm just stating a fact. We do need to be real here. We kept blaming Huet for not making the big 3rd period saves, while I don't think Carey was weak on any goals, he didn't make it. I don't think he needed to overcommit on the Sturm goal nor did he needed to give that big juicy rebound. Would have love to see him stop that Sobotka frail deke as well.

But as a team, they were expecting that Carey will make the great saves 'cause we got rid of Huet thinking he would do it. Well that train of thought made the team believed that we could start protecting the lead after a 1-0 lead in the middle of the 2nd period....

Just pure total nonsense. A rookie is a rookie who might make mistakes or might not able to save you.

And don't worry. I won't do like most people. I won't start a reactionary thread asking " And how's that Huet trade look now" 'cause it would be as dumb as starting the thread we saw this week....While Price didn't make the big saves, he's way down low on my list to blame.....

Old
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
It's not only Kovy's fault, go learn about hockey.

I lost faith, Boston deserves this series.

Incoherent fanboyism at his best.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote