HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Question to Headcoach

Old
04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
94now

vCash: 500
Question to Headcoach

I read all your tips on the other site and find them extremely helpful, but one shot is not covered there. Any tips on backhanded snap shot that you might have? All other experts are welcome to chime in as well. Thank you.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Diamond Joe

Backhand snap shot? They're more of a wrist, but I can understand the snap sentiment. Lean over your front leg when you're taking one, for power...backhands generally need all the power they can get.

Diamond Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I read all your tips on the other site and find them extremely helpful, but one shot is not covered there. Any tips on backhanded snap shot that you might have? All other experts are welcome to chime in as well. Thank you.
Well, to be honest. I didn't write a coaching tip on Backhand shots because I feel that they are not that accurate. However, I have seen players that are pretty good/great with their back hand shots.

As you know, with backhand shots, the leg that is closest to the blade of the stick, is where the majority of the weight balance or weight distribution needs to be (known as back leg). The weight shift on this leg will allow you to add more pressure to the stick.

Now, as you follow through with your shot, the weight is going to transfer from the back leg to the front leg. As you make this weight transfer, continue to add pressure to the stick. Now, as you release the puck and your stick goes high, (I call this shoveling the puck) the puck will go high.

If you roll your wrist on your back hand so that the blade of the stick point to the goalie or to the whole that you would like the puck to go in, this is where it's going to go.

Now it's not as easy as it sounds. Back hand shots are one of the most difficult shots to master and get accurate. can it be done? Yes! It's just that I have been doing it for 30 years. I will say...practice, practice, practice.

As far as snap shots on your back hand. can it be done? Yep! I just was a video of a pro hockey player doing this shot with one hand. Hopefully someone in this forum will find this link and add it to this thread.

To do this shot, you will need a strong forearm to make this work. plus, a lot of practice as well.

I hope this helps.
Head coach

PS: Your avitar...nice!

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

There's the one-handed backhand from Kovalev.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

There's the one-handed backhand from Kovalev.
What's so cool about this shot is that goalies know that a lot of players are incapable of doing this type of shot, so they don't expect it...at all!

Notice that the puck is more towards the back end of the blade...towards the heal when he shoots!

This type of shot is truely a formidable weapon against a goalie. I know, I have had my A** handed to me several times with this shot. The only problem was, thank god, there was only one play in the league that could make this type of shot.

By the way, I had the opportunity to come up against this type of shot when I was 18...in 1976. The guy who scored against me had great shooting skill, but wasn't that fast.

Skating is about 80% of the game.
Stick handling is about 10%
Passing is about 5%
Shooting is about 3%
Checking is about 2%

This is what I tell my players to get them to skate. However, here's something to think about...

Once I get a player, to where he is doing 360 degree jumps in the air on the ice, you put a puck on his stick and he forgets how to skate.

So, after a player learns the skating technique, do the same drill with a puck until it is smooth. Then advance to the next drill.

In my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Hope this helps.
Head Coach
It sure does. However... I'm pretty confident in my backhand wrister. Getting down low, dragging the puck on the back of the heel, weight transfer and follow trough are the keys there. When it comes to snap shot of backhand it is my understanding that drag should be minimal yet you have to quickly load the shaft. How do you do that?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote