HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Improving the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2004, 03:13 PM
Netro

vCash: 500
Improving the NHL

All Star break time. There has been lots of debate on how to improve the NHL.

What do you think the NHL should do? Put some ideas here.

I will toss out some of mine:
(1) Serve the complete 2 minutes for minor penalties - Return to the old days. May result in a reduction of stick infractions

(2) Bring back the tag-up offside - While it promotes the dump-in, it helps the flow of the game. Eliminating it a few years to promote more skill was a nice attempt but it just has not worked

(3) Make the ice surface wider - Increase from current width halfway to the European ice. This will give more space but also not eliminate contact. This will be a difficult one, as it involves removing seats potentially which is revenue etc..

(4) Along with #3, make overtime 5 on 5 again. Hopefully the additional space will be enough to remove this "gimmick"

These are the ones I can think of now

Old
02-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Bob Bastards

Call the f**king rule book for God sake and you will see the game change...

Old
02-06-2004, 04:01 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
All Star break time. There has been lots of debate on how to improve the NHL.

What do you think the NHL should do? Put some ideas here.

I will toss out some of mine:
(1) Serve the complete 2 minutes for minor penalties - Return to the old days. May result in a reduction of stick infractions

(2) Bring back the tag-up offside - While it promotes the dump-in, it helps the flow of the game. Eliminating it a few years to promote more skill was a nice attempt but it just has not worked

(3) Make the ice surface wider - Increase from current width halfway to the European ice. This will give more space but also not eliminate contact. This will be a difficult one, as it involves removing seats potentially which is revenue etc..

(4) Along with #3, make overtime 5 on 5 again. Hopefully the additional space will be enough to remove this "gimmick"

These are the ones I can think of now
All excellent ideas. Although, I'm not sure the owners could be convinced to widen the rinks, and take away some revenue from a loss of seating.

However, the nhlpa has to make a commitment to improve the game. The players complain about the officiating, but do little to respect each other on the ice. It takes the players to improve the game, and respect the rules in place.

Also, getting rid of the instigator rule may help out as well.

Old
02-06-2004, 06:50 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Bad day at the office?

Old
02-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Right on.

There's no point in removing the red line or what not until all infractions are penalised. There's initially going to be lots of whining about too many power plays, but gradually teams will adapt and penalties will go down.

Old
02-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Mathletic

What Rivet, Walz, Traverse just retired ?

Old
02-06-2004, 08:11 PM
BigM1ke

1. Allow 2 lines passes
2. CALL THE PENALTIES

Old
02-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Habber

Quote:
Exactly. All these rule change ideas aren't going to change anything. If the game was called according to the current rules, everything would be fine.

When I was growing up playing and reffing hockey, I was taught that if you reached to hook a guy instead of skating to catch him, it was a lazy play and should be penalized. Nowadays in the NHL you have to **** somebody before a penalty is called. The league has been trying to address this issue for 5+ years but still hasn't solved it. Rule changes are just skirting the real problem.

Old
02-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
1. Allow 2 lines passes
2. CALL THE PENALTIES
2 lines passes are a very bad idea...

1. Suck holing will be the norm.. Which causes lots of boring hockey!
2. Goalies GAA will be way too high!

Why not enforce old things we used to have that made the game so great?

Example: Net's closer to the boards!

Old
02-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Cool! How did you get those two little star thingies up there between the f and the k? I feel I have so much to learn.

Old
02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
Cool! How did you get those two little star thingies up there between the f and the k? I feel I have so much to learn.
Just type it... You do a shift-8 and there you go

Seriously I find it so dumb that a lot of people are trying to find a way to "fix" the game when all there is to do is call the penalty as they are writen in the book. Last year, when they start to call all those penalty for abstruction and grabbing in neutral zone, Martin St-Louis was one of the top scorer in the league and Toronto was last in is pool. As soon as they stop to to it, Toronto climb is way up and St-Louis have all the problem in the world to do 3 step before being held back by a dman...

Call all the clutching and grabbing and you will see the pace of the game change a lot. After a year of two of those regime, then you can start to do change.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Darz

I'm all for the refs calling the rules as stated in the rule book, but you have to be crazy to think this is ever going to happen. Previous attempts were a joke and any future attempts will be as well.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Prrebel

Inproving the game. OK, here we go (the statements that follow are those of the poster, and by no means reflect those of HFBoards.com)

1. Get rid of the instigator penelty.
It's a joke. Guys take liberties knowing that if retalation is ground for an instigator penelty. Guys like Suray cannot protect guys like Koivu because of the 2, 5, 10, game misconduct crap. Getting rid of the instgator, in my opinion, will bring down the stick infractions a little. But it's a start.

2. Two things on a penelty. Play the whole 2 minutes shorthanded as mentioned before, but also call icings. How is a team penelized if they are allowed to ice the puck. Again these are 2 things that will lower the numbers of penelties a little.

3. Enforce the goalie equipment rule. Did anyone see Dwyne Roleson at the all star game.... he was square. 4x8. No wonder he has come out of nowhere this season. Probably bought new equipment at the JS Geigre (sp) goalie store. Or make the net a little bigger. 4 1/2 x 8 1/2.

4. Increase the size of the ice surface. Not necessarly International size, but a little bigger. The players are bigger and heavier, which equals less room to move. Of course the owners wouls ***** bricks if they had to take out 100 of their most expensive seats.

5. Forget about taking out the red line. I hate it for the reason that the # of icing go up as team will constantly go for the long pass... and lets face it... the talent in the NHL these days do not lend itself to that.

6. Make the goalie fair game outside of their crease. If they want to play the puck... then they should also fear the oncoming forwards. What do they want... a bubble around them. Keep the goalies in the net.

7. SALARY CAP

Be gentle........

Last edited by Prrebel: 02-09-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old
02-09-2004, 12:06 PM
grapeshine

I'd like to see a minor penalty given to any player who drops to the ice to block a shot. I think such a penalty would result in more shots on net, and fewer injuries from players being struck by the puck.

I posted this before and didn't get much positive feedback, but I still think it's worth considering.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:32 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prrebel
It's a joke. Guys take liberties knowing that if retalation is ground for an instigator penelty. Guys like Suray cannot protect guys like Koivu because of the 2, 5, 10, game misconduct crap. Getting rid of the instgator, in my opinion, will bring down the stick infractions a little. But it's a start.
I totally agree with this one.
Quote:
2. Two things on a penelty. Play the whole 2 minutes shorthanded as mentioned before, but also call icings. How is a team penelized if they are allowed to ice the puck. Again these are 2 things that will lower the numbers of penelties a little.
The icing change does make sense, but one goal is punishment enough for minor penalties in my opinion.
Quote:
3. Enforce the goalie equipment rule. Did anyone see Dwyne Roleson at the all star game.... he was square. 4x8. No wonder he has come out of nowhere this season. Probably bought new equipment at the JS Geigre (sp) goalie store. Or make the net a little bigger. 4 1/2 x 8 1/2.
I'm all for 80's size equipment, but I don't think changing the net size would be a good idea. Most goalies have spent their lifetime honing their sense of where the net is behind them, they know if a puck is on its way in or not. Most goalies would need to retrain themselves to the new size. It would cause years of really bad goaltending...
Quote:
4. Increase the size of the ice surface. Not necessarly International size, but a little bigger. The players are bigger and heavier, which equals less room to move. Of course the owners wouls ***** bricks if they had to take out 100 of their most expensive seats.
There is plenty of room to move if you call obstruction properly.
Quote:
5. Forget about taking out the red line. I hate it for the reason that the # of icing go up as team will constantly go for the long pass... and lets face it... the talent in the NHL these days do not lend itself to that.
I agree with this. I'm against any rule that encourages "Cherry Picking".
Quote:
6. Make the goalie fair game outside of their crease. If they want to play the puck... then they should also fear the oncoming forwards. What do they want... a bubble around them. Keep the goalies in the net.
I agree with this point completely. If a goalie acts like a third defenseman he should expect to get hit like one...
Quote:
7. SALARY CAP
Some teams like Pitsburg still wouldn't be able to compete under any reasonable ($40M) cap.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Prrebel

Why dosen't the icing one make sense? If the play is 5 on 5 and you ice the puck the faceoff is in the defensive end. If you take a penelty, icing the puck should be no different. You relieve the pressure, but the draw is in your end again. Why give a penelized team an advantage?

Old
02-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Guys,

The answer is simple, I have been doing play-by-play for a league all year long and it is much more entertainnig then the NHL despite not having the worlds best players.

All the NHL has to do is go back TOUCH UP OFFSIDES and ELIMINATE THE REDLINE.

By eliminating the Redline it kinda of makes the ice surface bigger without actaully increasing the size of the rink.

With Touch Up Offsides, the forechecks in the the league would be able to be much more aggressive and the play would just fly.

THe majority of these games are finished in 2 hours and 10 minutes. The NHL would probably love to see that.

Oh and also there are about 9-10 goals a game DESPITE all goaltenders in the league being above average and many spectacular. When you eliminate the red line shots will definetly be increased.

THE NHL HAS TO MAKE THOSE TWO CHANGES!!!

Unbiased Canadian
PS, I wouldn't mind seeing the ice surface larger so Saku could run the show.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Minos

Quote:
Why dosen't the icing one make sense? If the play is 5 on 5 and you ice the puck the faceoff is in the defensive end. If you take a penelty, icing the puck should be no different. You relieve the pressure, but the draw is in your end again. Why give a penelized team an advantage?
It would drastically slow the game down and take alot of flow away. Can you imagine how many icings there would be during a 5 min major?

Old
02-09-2004, 02:44 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Read it again... I said it does make sense...

Old
02-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Minos

Quote:
Agreed. This would bring back a level of respect (albeit a forced one!) between the players. This would help eliminate alot fo high sticks and other cheap plays. Also, time for the NHL to admit that fighting attracts fans. It's possible to show case the top level tallents and have fighting in the same game.
<p>
Quote:
2. Two things on a penelty. Play the whole 2 minutes shorthanded as mentioned before, but also call icings.
A full two minutes is something to consider - calling icing on the PK team would slow the game down way too much (we want fast paced exciting hockey, right?). I'd also like to see them call a 5 minute major for ANY high sticking penalty - never mind 2 minutes and an extra 2 if there's blood (as if only getting cut hurts!) make it a full 5 for every call and watch the sticks come down
<p>
Quote:
3. Enforce the goalie equipment rule.
Something needs to be done here. I'm not at all in favour of making the nets larger, but I can understand why goalies are bulking up on protection. The players taking the shots are ALOT bigger and stronger than they were years ago (Maurice Richard didn't have a personal trainer, dietitian, conditioning caoch etc.) and the carbon fibre sticks are adding alot to the power of shots. What probably needs to be done is have equipment manufacturers make top quality protection that isn't bulky - there's no incentive for them to develope anything like that right now because big is in.
<p>
Quote:
4. Increase the size of the ice surface.
Agree 100% this has the possibility to make the biggest difference without drastically changing the game itself. Combine this with calling hooking & holding and hockey would actually be entertaining again. Bye bye trap! I like the ice size they use for the World Championships, which is larger that the NHL but smaller than international sized rinks. It wouldn't cost the owners anything - they'd pass the expense onto the fans, but if it meant better hockey who would complain?
<p>
Quote:
5. Forget about taking out the red line.
Don't forget about it, but impliment the other suggested rule changes and then see if its still needed. I suspect rule change #4 would solve alot of the current problems making this rule change unneccessary.
<p>
Quote:
6. Make the goalie fair game outside of their crease.
Absolutely - what makes a good trapping team a great trapping team is a goalie who comes out of the net and clears the dump ins before a fore-checker can get into the zone. However, making a goalie fair game outside of the crease in a league without an instigator rule is potentially dangerous!
<p>
Quote:
7. SALARY CAP
Strongly disagree. Players dedicate their lives to playing hockey - most from age 4 or 5. Millions of people play hockey world wide and only about 700 make it to the NHL - they deserve what they earn (what other job requires approx 15 years of training and has that level of competitiion just make it at an entry level position?). The average career length is relatively short (probaly 6 or 7 years) these guys need to be able to make their money while they can. Because of their focus and level of dedication to early training, few have an education and a chance to make a living after hockey - and with the inherent dangers in hockey their careers can end on any given shift.

Having said that, salaries are out of control - but its not the players fault at all! Anyone can demand $8 million a year, but if no one wants to pay them that much they are SOL. The owners are asking the players to take a pay cut, because the owners can't control themselves and need regulations to prevent them from making stupid decisions? Imagine this in your own job, your boss says "I know you make $18 an hour, but I'd like to start paying you $14 an hour because when that new guy started I decided to pay him $63 an hour. Now all the new guys want $63 an hour and I can't afford it."

What can be done? Luxury tax and revenue sharing. Come up with a reasonable team salary - say $40 million (and re-evaluate this each season the way basketball does). Have a dollar for dollar tax on all salary over $40 million - distribute the cash among the poorest teams. While players won't like the soft cap idea (for alot of teams this would be a hard cap as many teams won't go over) they will like the fact that the extra money will be going to poor teams so they'll have more UFA options (Did Fedorov even call Pittsburgh or Florida when he went on the market?).

This will force management to make sound financial decisions, or risk the embarassment of a rich team funding a poor team all the way to the cup finals (in baseball, the Marlins beat the Yankees to win the World Series while the Yankees were paying part of their salary for them!). In a situation like this, individual salaries would likely remain more or less they same, but they'd be spread out over all the entire league - the players could earn their top end cash and the league would be MUCH more competitive. PROBLEM: this would put ALOT of focus on management and the decisions they make - truely skilled GMs would emerge, and lots of supposed good GMs would disappear. Which means it won't happen, its easier to keep the focus on the "greedy" players than to risk taking responsibility for the league (even though its ultimately theirs).

Last edited by Minos: 02-09-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old
02-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
I think that the salary cap is just like the 7 seconds delay given to Cherry. Here's why:

Both imply that they (NHL teams / Cherry) can't be controlled by their boss (NHL / CBC), so instead of telling them to act rationaly they try to restrict their stupidity to a minimum.

With that said, I'm still for a salary cap, seeing how Sather is doing business and all...

Old
02-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Prrebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Read it again... I said it does make sense...
ooops

Old
02-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Harry Kakalovich

two ways to make the nhl absolutely amazing (though they'll probably never happen):

1) get rid of commercials during periods - they break up the play and momentum and ruin the excitement. ever noticed how intense hockey gets when there isn't a whistle for 5 minutes? the problem is, after the whistle is blown, the music starts up at the bell centre, the red light goes on for the commercial break and they start blaring advertisements. hockey is a flow game, like soccer, keep the flow going and you'll have great games.

2) shorten the season to fifty games and have the playoffs end by mid april - the best hockey is played at the worst time. hockey is a winter game. something to keep us occupied during the long cold nights. imagine the playoffs started now! i'd watch every bloody night. by may i'm running around the streets happy that spring is back. by then hockey is over, or at least it should be.

crazy suggestions, but they would work. the games would be more exciting and consequently the tv ratings would go up, which incidentally is what is really wrong with hockey, at least for the owners - 300 million americans would rather watch college football, college basketball, nfl football, nba basketball, ml baseball, tennis, pga golf, nascar, beach volleyball... etc...

Old
02-09-2004, 11:29 PM
jcpenny

TAG UP OFFSIDE BRING IT BACK!! Why was it taking off on the first place. They totally eliminate forechek because of that, this shows how stupid the NHL can be. Remember the first 10 mins at the boston garden? They would dump the puck in and crush defensmen in the boards, it was today there woul hav been at least 10 offside calls.

Old
02-10-2004, 09:35 AM
#1 Habitant

vCash:
Fixing the League!

With so much debate going on about how to fix the game we all love so dearly I thought I would throw my 2-cents worth in. There have been some good suggestions posted here which also reflect the opinion of many of the players themselves as witnessed a recent edition of the Hockey News.
1. Call the rule book as it should be called. This undoubtedly must be the first
priority. There is little sense in making physical changes to equipment or thee
rink surface if the rule book continues to be ignored.
2. Go back to having a player serve his full 2 minutes (regardless of how many
goals are scored by an opponent). Anyone remember the hey-day of the Habs
that actually was the catalyst for this change many years ago? Perhaps it
would become a deterrent for stupid penalties by players.
3. Get rid of the instigator rule. Life on the ice was much better for skilled and
gifted when players policed themselves. I don't seem to recall Lafleur getting
too roughed up in his time.
4. Assess 5 minutes for all highsticking infractions (whether someone gets cut or
not). There is just way too muc of this going on. I watched the 1979 Bruin
-Hab semi-final Game #7 this morning with my son and I can't recall even 1
high stick infraction.
5. Move the nets back toward the end boards again. This will help create more
space in the defensive zone.
6. Reduce the size of goalie equipment. Isn't it funny that Roy would come out
and suggest that, now that he's retired?
7. Return to a one-ref system. I'm sure that most of you will agree with me that
having two refs is not any better. How can 4 men on the ice miss so many
infractions? Go figure! Note: Players have suggested this one, as well.
Here are some of my other thoughts about possible improvements:
1. Possibly remove the red line. Maybe it's time to try it. It's not like it hasn't
been done before in the NHL.
2. Possibly widen the blue and red lines. Has anyone heard how this experiment is
going in the AHL? Bobby Smith is one of the mover and shakers on this possible
change and says it would increase the length of the ice by 12 feet.
3. Eliminate the 5 minute overtime. Either replace it with a shootout or settle for
60 minutes of hockey. For the most part, overtime is not working as it was
designed to do. Many teams are holding on in overtime as they did in regulation
time.
Well, those are just some thoughts on changes I would make to improve the game. I believe they would open up some ice, create more scoring chances, give room to the skilled players, act as a deterrent to others, help eliminate that stifling trap system. Other than that, let's hope the players and the owners get their acts together so we can see the Canadian game next season. GO HABS!

Closed Thread