HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lemme get this straight: we're staring at an "historic collapse"...

Old
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Lemme get this straight: we're staring at an "historic collapse"...

Because Montreal won game 4 and lost game 5, rather than the other way around? If the series had been 2-2 after game four and was now tied, we'd not be nearly as upset.

Maybe we should start viewing this series for what it really is -- a closely-fought match between two very evenly-matched teams that could have gone and could still go either way... a view uncolored by preconceptions and pre-created expectations.

All this series shows is that Montreal still needs to grow as a team... and this series, win or lose, will hopefully be a learning experience for all involved.

It shouldn't be something that will haunt the Habs for years to come. And I hope it won't be.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Habs

Just shows what a negative climate surrounds this team. Detroit is still battling Nashville, but they aren't getting trashed. The Sharks are going to go to game 7 against a team they were supposed to wipe off the planet, no biggee...

Montreal goes to game 7 against a very big, physical.. character ridden team and we suck donkey balls?

I'll be choked if we lose tomorrow, but man... we knew the weakness of this team all year... so we live and die by it and just accept it.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 09:39 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Montreal goes to game 7 against a very big, physical.. character ridden team and we suck donkey balls?
The Bruins' aren't big but they are doing a masterful job of relentlessly attacking Montreal's weak points.

Major kudos to them. They have been battling adversity all season, and I admire them for it. I'd even be awed by their story if it weren't my team being the antagonist. Here's an underdog team (though perhaps not as prohibitively as one might think) taking the fight to their historic archnemesis and taking them to the brink in spite of seemingly all odds.

If they win that series, they will have win it far more than the Habs will ever have lost it.

Yes, no previous Hab team has ever lost a 3-1 series lead, but IMHO that's more an accident of historical circumstance than an implication that it should never ever happen. The more years go by the more these "never done" things will go away. Just the last few years the Habs have done at least two things that they never had before (win while down 3-1 in a series, and come back from a 5-0 deficit), and I'm not going to pretend the teams that did these things were any better than any of the previous Hab teams that failed to do them.

Old
04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
The Bruins' aren't big but they are doing a masterful job of relentlessly attacking Montreal's weak points.

Major kudos to them. They have been battling adversity all season, and I admire them for it. I'd even be awed by their story if it weren't my team being the antagonist. Here's an underdog team (though perhaps not as prohibitively as one might think) taking the fight to their historic archnemesis and taking them to the brink in spite of seemingly all odds.

If they win that series, they will have win it far more than the Habs will ever have lost it.

Yes, no previous Hab team has ever lost a 3-1 series lead, but IMHO that's more an accident of historical circumstance than an implication that it should never ever happen. The more years go by the more these "never done" things will go away. Just the last few years the Habs have done at least two things that they never had before (win while down 3-1 in a series, and come back from a 5-0 deficit), and I'm not going to pretend the teams that did these things were any better than any of the previous Hab teams that failed to do them.
How many of the canadiens teams that havent blow a 3-1 lead played in a game 7?

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 09:54 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
I don't know... there have only been 115 Game 7s in the history of the NHL if WhoWins.com is to be believed.

Old
04-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I believe Montreal Canadiens in the past are something like 23-0 when leading 3-1 in the series.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
http://www.habsinsideout.com/

The Canadiens face Game 7 for the 19th time in their playoff history and for the first time when they have led a series by a 3-1 games advantage.

thats bad

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I believe Montreal Canadiens in the past are something like 23-0 when leading 3-1 in the series.
They are 26-0

But, I thought I had heard that out of those 26 / 3-1 series leads, none of them went to the seventh game. I'll see if I can find that out for sure.

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
HabsPack

Quote:
http://www.habsinsideout.com/

The Canadiens face Game 7 for the 19th time in their playoff history and for the first time when they have led a series by a 3-1 games advantage.

thats bad
Ahhh cool, you found it

HabsPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Kruky

The only good thing about if we lose tomorow is that at least we would have done it all in our 100 years of existence.

Nahh I'm just kidding, Win damnit

Kruky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:02 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

The OP is obviously trying to cover your team's ass should they choke tomorrow.

Make no mistake about it, if they lose, it's a choke of epic proportion.

How many times have I heard a Habs fan call the Sens chokers because of their own similar losses in the playoffs?

L'Aveuglette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It's a 7th game like another. Despite the momentum, the Bruins don't have it made. Anything can happen tomorrow. Bounces are important. I've rooted for teams in the Bruins position and lost, and I've supported teams in Montreal's position that won. I'll watch tomorrow because I'm not sure of the outcome. It's not like the 8th time I watch a rerun of Rick Monday's homer vs the Expos.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:08 PM
thehabsvolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post

How many times have I heard a Habs fan call the Sens chokers because of their own similar losses in the playoffs?
Umm...we were a team picked by almost all hockey magazines before the season to finish well out of the playoff picture...we are fighting it out in a tough series and still alive. Your team however was picked by many to be cup contenders and compared to the greatest team of all time in the first month of the season. Do I really need to go into detail about how the rest of your teams season went?? So dont come in here and talk about choking when our team was looked at to be one of the worst at the start of this season and have worked their ***** off to get where they are. Win or lose this team hasnt choked one bit. They have beaten the odds and played one hell of a season!

thehabsvolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:09 PM
number 11

Quote:

haha. nice try. choker.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:11 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:

Hey, last time I checked, we didn't get swept by Cindy Crosbaby And The Flying Nuns. The Habs may choke, but they will have played till the last minute of the last game in the series, not lost in four with zero (ZERO) wins in the series. The Sens? EPIC meltdown, EPIC fail.
Go troll someone else's board.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Stephen Locke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehabsvolta View Post
Umm...we were a team picked by almost all hockey magazines before the season to finish well out of the playoff picture...we are fighting it out in a tough series and still alive. Your team however was picked by many to be cup contenders and compared to the greatest team of all time in the first month of the season. Do I really need to go into detail about how the rest of your teams season went?? So dont come in here and talk about choking when our team was looked at to be one of the worst at the start of this season and have worked their ***** off to get where they are. Win or lose this team hasnt choked one bit. They have beaten the odds and played one hell of a season!
Damn right you are.I don't think I've ever seen any widely regarded hockey magazine or high profile hockey people to pick the Habs as legitimate and elite Cup contenders.This season the expectations aren't exactly that high compared to the Senators the years before,no offense.

But I agree,the ''choker'' label is way too overused.

Stephen Locke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:14 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Because Montreal won game 4 and lost game 5, rather than the other way around? If the series had been 2-2 after game four and was now tied, we'd not be nearly as upset.

Maybe we should start viewing this series for what it really is -- a closely-fought match between two very evenly-matched teams that could have gone and could still go either way... a view uncolored by preconceptions and pre-created expectations.

All this series shows is that Montreal still needs to grow as a team... and this series, win or lose, will hopefully be a learning experience for all involved.

It shouldn't be something that will haunt the Habs for years to come. And I hope it won't be.
Whaaa??

#1 vs #8 seed.

8-0 record this year.

It couldnt possibly be any less evenly matched.

SilverSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:

At least we've already gotten to a game from a berth in the 2nd round. Who will be remembered as the chokers? The team some people started noticing could actually make a serious go for a playoff spot after Xmas or the modern day reincarnation of the 1976 Canadiens that get swept out of the first round?

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:16 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Oh please. No matter how much you try to spin it 99% of your fan-base was predicting a cake walk against the Bruins and an almost guaranteed trip to the ECFs. I know tons of Habs fans and listen to the Mtl media enough to know that most were saying "Habs in 4 or 5".

Don't even try to use the "Oh, but we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs" excuse. It's weak.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:19 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Oh please. No matter how much you try to spin it 99% of your fan-base was predicting a cake walk against the Bruins and an almost guaranteed trip to the ECFs. I know tons of Habs fans and listen to the Mtl media enough to know that most were saying "Habs in 4 or 5".

Don't even try to use the "Oh, but we weren't even supposed to make the playoffs" excuse. It's weak.
Go check the main board or Bruins board. I said Habs in 7. And while you're doing that, don't come back to the Habs board.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:

Thanks for your so concise views Mr Troll.

As i was told VERY often on your board even after taking for you and even encouraging you guys...:

The Sens board is that way... ------------------------------>

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:23 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
Go check the main board or Bruins board. I said Habs in 7. And while you're doing that, don't come back to the Habs board.
Good for you. But having been in Montreal a lot and listening to CKAC, RDS, 110% etc etc., I know you are the exception.

If the Habs lose tomorrow, a lot of so-called Montreal media "experts" will be feeling pretty sheepish.

Old
04-20-2008, 11:24 PM
thehabsvolta

Quote:

Seriously...are you this bored??
I know your team is already out...but find a hobby for the summer, read a book, take up a cooking class...

thehabsvolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2008, 11:26 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehabsvolta View Post
Seriously...are you this bored??
I know your team is already out...but find a hobby for the summer, read a book, take up a cooking class...
I'm a hockey fan as well as a Sens fan. Why would I stop discussing hockey because my team is out?

Old
04-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:

If the Habs lose tomorrow, a lot of so-called Montreal media "experts" will be feeling pretty sheepish.
No: if we lose, we lose! Simple as that! We wont blame Emery or Spezza or our coach. We will Not "rebuild": we will RELOAD, the way Ottawa cant do and we will aim to win it next year!

We wont crumble after being a Cup finalist.

The only thing the Sens can wish for now is to make the playoffs next year...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote