HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal/NY Rangers proposals (merged threads)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2004, 01:23 AM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Montreal-New York proposal

Ok this proposal will probably be considered as ridiculous but i was wondering... since the Rangers love high-priced veterans and they need to improve on defence; since the Canadiens could improve on offence and are seemingly building a decent young club...

How about...

Lundmark for Rivet

And I realize that the timing for this deal is awfull from a Habs perspective (since Souray got injured) but ignore that for a minute... I was just wondering if the value could be anywhere close to fair.

Yes, the Rangers are giving up one of their only young players but it isn't like they are basing their future on their youth. They are aiming to be "contenders" (if that is humanly possible) in the present. As for the big difference in salaries, well NYR can afford it.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by espion
... I was just wondering if the value could be anywhere close to fair.
No. New York could get a better return for Lundmark elsewhere.

Old
02-13-2004, 05:34 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

If the Rangers weren't going to give up...

Quote:
Ok this proposal will probably be considered as ridiculous but i was wondering... since the Rangers love high-priced veterans and they need to improve on defence; since the Canadiens could improve on offence and are seemingly building a decent young club...

How about...

Lundmark for Rivet

And I realize that the timing for this deal is awfull from a Habs perspective (since Souray got injured) but ignore that for a minute... I was just wondering if the value could be anywhere close to fair.

Yes, the Rangers are giving up one of their only young players but it isn't like they are basing their future on their youth. They are aiming to be "contenders" (if that is humanly possible) in the present. As for the big difference in salaries, well NYR can afford it.
Lundmark for Burke, why would they trade him for Rivet?

Old
02-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:

How about...

Lundmark for Rivet

i have to agree witht he posters above. there's no way this deal would happen. valuewise or any otherwise. it's a bad trade for the Rags for this season and the future. Rivet is a fine d-man, but i don't think there's a team out there that would give up one of their best young players for him. granted, other teams have better young players, but as far as the meathead brass at the garden goes, Lundmark is it. they have tjutin and jessiman, but neither is close. i strongly doubt either would be moved for rivet also.

besides, montreal needs him now more than ever with sheldon out.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut
i have to agree witht he posters above. there's no way this deal would happen. valuewise or any otherwise. it's a bad trade for the Rags for this season and the future. Rivet is a fine d-man, but i don't think there's a team out there that would give up one of their best young players for him. granted, other teams have better young players, but as far as the meathead brass at the garden goes, Lundmark is it. they have tjutin and jessiman, but neither is close. i strongly doubt either would be moved for rivet also.
Doesn't work for the Habs either. The Habs have excellent depth when it comes to small to medium sized centers at the NHL and prospect level. Lundmark would just further clog it up. Now if Lundmark was 6'4 230lbs and could play a 3rd line two way role, I would love this proposal from a Habs perspective. Lundmark just isn't the right player for the Habs right now, especially at the expense of one of our top 4 d-men, especially with Souray out.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Doesn't work for the Habs either. The Habs have excellent depth when it comes to small to medium sized centers at the NHL and prospect level. Lundmark would just further clog it up. Now if Lundmark was 6'4 230lbs and could play a 3rd line two way role, I would love this proposal from a Habs perspective. Lundmark just isn't the right player for the Habs right now, especially at the expense of one of our top 4 d-men, especially with Souray out.
Agreed. Your response inspired a thread idea, however.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:41 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

proposal Montreal - NYR

I'm not a RAG or HAB fan but...

Mark Messier and a second round pick to Montreal
for
A good prospect[/B] and a fourth rounder.

Emotions aside, does this make sense?

One of hockey's all-time greats is winding down his career on a bad team not headed for the playoffs. Mark Messier. Call him old, but he's still producing. He'd make a tough, inspirational leader, with a continuing solid two way game for the right team.

One of hockey's all-time great franchises- and factually the most successful ever- Montreal, is headed for the playoffs with a solid team, should Sheldon Souray come back in form.

Imagine Mark Messier playing third line centre for the Canadiens. Imagine him winning a cup- almost disgusting but would be fitting in a weird way... Is this sacrilege (maybe in edmonton and possibly in ny) or is it a match made in hockey heaven? I think the latter.

Mark won't cost much in terms of talent from a Montreal perspective. What do you think they would give up to get him?

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 02-13-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old
02-13-2004, 01:50 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Uh...

Old
02-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Hugh Nito I

Why go with a youngster that can give you 10 very good years when you have a 40-60 chance to reach the Eastern Conference semifinals?

Old
02-13-2004, 01:54 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
I'm not a RAG or HAB fan but...

Mark Messier and a second round pick to Montreal
for
Hainsey (or another equal prospect) and a fourth rounder.

Emotions aside, does this make sense?

One of hockey's all-time greats is winding down his career on a bad team not headed for the playoffs. Mark Messier. Call him old, but he's still producing. He'd make a tough, inspirational leader, with a continuing solid two way game for the right team.

One of hockey's all-time great franchises- and factually the most successful ever- Montreal, is headed for the playoffs with a solid team, should Sheldon Souray come back in form.

Imagine Mark Messier playing third line centre for the Canadiens. Imagine him winning a cup- almost disgusting but would be fitting in a weird way... Is this sacrilege (maybe in edmonton and possibly in ny) or is it a match made in hockey heaven? I think the latter.

Mark won't cost much in terms of talent from a Montreal perspective. What do you think they would give up to get him?
oh my God I hope your kidding, this is the worst proposal ever, even the thought of Messier wearing a HAB uniform hurts.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
oh my God I hope your kidding, this is the worst proposal ever, even the thought of Messier wearing a HAB uniform hurts.
I know I know. It's painful. But that's the disgusting, disgraceful and yet somehow compelling part of it.

You can scrap Hainsey. Name someone else...

Old
02-13-2004, 01:58 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Nito I
Why go with a youngster that can give you 10 very good years when you have a 40-60 chance to reach the Eastern Conference semifinals?
More like 60-40...

Old
02-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

For Messier? The most I would give up is Perreault and a 6th rounder.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:04 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

I had to adjust the thread so that people wouldn't fixate on one particular Hab prospect.

I'm just curious what Mess' worth would be to a team that he hasn't been on before. As an aside, now that Arvedsson is out....

Old
02-13-2004, 02:05 PM
Hugh Nito I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
More like 60-40...
Oh.. It seems to be against Toronto, huh? 70-30.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:22 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
I had to adjust the thread so that people wouldn't fixate on one particular Hab prospect.

I'm just curious what Mess' worth would be to a team that he hasn't been on before. As an aside, now that Arvedsson is out....
Arvedsson doesn't play for Montreal, as for Vancouver everybody was happy when Messsier left and Naslund emerged as the true leader/top scorer of the team.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:23 PM
Darz

As a habs fan, I wouldn't be against it but take away the prospect and the second rounder:

Messier
for
4th round pick.

I mean we only got a 6th rounder from Toronto for Gilmour, and this would be a similiar situation, so...

Old
02-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
Arvedsson doesn't play for Montreal, as for Vancouver everybody was happy when Messsier left and Naslund emerged as the true leader/top scorer of the team.
I know. Arvedsson plays for Vancouver. That's why I mentioned Vancouver after talking about Montreal (a team that Mark's never played for). Vancouver (a team Mark has played for) just lost Arvedsson. That's why I said "as an aside" and is also what the wink is for... Forget it.

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 02-13-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old
02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
AvsGuy

how about Messier to the Avalanche for Brad Larsen? the Rags could use more guys like Brad...

Old
02-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
As a habs fan, I wouldn't be against it but take away the prospect and the second rounder:

Messier
for
4th round pick.

I mean we only got a 6th rounder from Toronto for Gilmour, and this would be a similiar situation, so...
I think Messier is performing significantly better than Doug Gilmour was when he was on his last legs. Hence the horrible return. Messier by himself garners more than a 4th rounder IMO.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Nito I
Oh.. It seems to be against Toronto, huh? 70-30.
Agreed

Closed Thread