HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deal Is Offcial

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 06:29 PM
flamesfan01800

vCash: 500
Deal Is Done

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=71564

Old
02-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Gwyddbwyll

The article says its not actually official you know

Old
02-09-2004, 06:42 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
The article says its not actually official you know
3 for 1 deal. Should be some interesting comment upcoming.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:44 PM
flamesfan01800

ya sorry about that jumped the gun but heres another link

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...09_161151_5716

Last edited by flamesfan01800: 02-09-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old
02-09-2004, 06:49 PM
ducky

Barney got taken again!

Eager and Branko! OMFG!!

Flyer fans are justified. Coyote fans eat humble pie.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:53 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky
Barney got taken again!

Eager and Branko! OMFG!!

Flyer fans are justified. Coyote fans eat humble pie.
two third liners and a backup for a first line center and a couple of million dollars. You have to give to get. I like the deal. I may be in the minority.

I say this with tongue firmly planted in cheek. We all knew that if Comrie was coming our way that one of our prized assets would be going the other way. Radivojevic and Eager were expendable. We kept Taffe, Sjostrom, and Kolanos. This I am happy with.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Waldo

Gawd Awfull!!!

It's worse than anyone could have imagined. Sean Burke, Branko, and Ben Eager for Comrie. Confirmed on The Sports Network. Don't like this at all...... I'm speechless. I certainly wouldn't trade Branko for Comrie straight up. Do the Coyotes really need a smurf centre. We just traded one away. This team needs more size, not less. Anyhow, this is Wayne Gretzky's trade ...... so I'm also officially dissappointed in MB.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:55 PM
Gwyddbwyll

They should have gotten Seidenberg for adding Eager.

Why on earth didnt Barnett get some insurance if Comrie does not work out?

Old
02-09-2004, 07:02 PM
bobbyboucher24

As a Flyers fan, I didn't like the rumoured deal of Comrie/Seidenberg for Burke/Branko. However, since we keep Seidenberg (who was a personal favorite of mine) and get Eager included, the deal isn't that bad from the Flyers perspective. Some fans will still be mad, but its a deal I can live with as a Flyers fan. Someone who's followed Eager and preferably seen him play, give an honest assessment, por favor.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:07 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
As a Flyers fan, I didn't like the rumoured deal of Comrie/Seidenberg for Burke/Branko. However, since we keep Seidenberg (who was a personal favorite of mine) and get Eager included, the deal isn't that bad from the Flyers perspective. Some fans will still be mad, but its a deal I can live with as a Flyers fan. Someone who's followed Eager and preferably seen him play, give an honest assessment, por favor.
He's like Dallas Drake.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:10 PM
hbk

I'm shocked at the negative reaction. The only thing I don't like is the inclusion of Eager. However, would you pay him first round money? We've been debating for a year and a half the idea of letting him reenter so we could select him with a later pick. Does that strike you as a guy who was going to be key to our future? He was going to be a good depth player who might score 15 goals provided he gets some time on the front line. Radivojevic developed into a solid third liner. I liked him as well but he was expendable. Burke? I think the world of Burke but I think the organization made a heck of a move both for Burke and for the future of this organization.

Comrie is a great player. He has a star aura and will give our offense a huge boost. How can you not like the thought of this guy playing with Nagy and Doan. He's easily the best player in the deal and he's a Coyote. This return is certainly a lot better than the Mike Van Ryn and Justin Papineau and various fifth round picks that we were looking at before. Sure, we gave up some good kids in Eager and Branko. At the end of the day though we are a better team today and tomorrow. I'm excited about this team. I hate small players as a rule but Comrie is different.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:11 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
He's like Dallas Drake.
That is the best comparison I've ever heard for Eager. Everybody says Brad May, but I don't care for it at all.

As for the deal, I hate to be blunt, but I think it sucks. I'm not even sure I would have traded Branko for Comrie alone.
I do think Comrie will do quite well in Phoenix, but I think Phoenix could have done better.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Gwyddbwyll

All the reports say Eager is a prime physical specimen with elite skating capabilities and hands of stone. Ive seen him in camp and they seem pretty accurate to me. He could be a very valuable role player, projecting as a checker or an agitator/energy guy who can be put on any line.

Like I was saying about ten seconds ago in another thread I'd rather the Coyotes gave up a one-dimensional prospect for a one-dimensional Comrie. I was expecting Seidenberg back.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:28 PM
bobbyboucher24

I was a big Seidenberg fan, so it sickened me when he was first rumoured to be going. Anyways, I believe Comrie will put up decent numbers for 2 reasons. First, he will get more ice time in Phoenix than he was getting here (a pathetic 12:51 per game), secondly, he will play on 1 of the top 2 lines, where as he was playing mostly 3rd line here and at times with Brashear and other lesser skilled forwards. I liked most his passing ability; at times, he made some unbelieveable passes to set guys up, through heavy traffic no less. The puck seemed to follow him. I was never opposed to trading him because he just didn't fit here and because the coach never played him, I just wanted a better deal than what was rumoured. The somewhat final deal isn't that bad.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I'm shocked at the negative reaction. The only thing I don't like is the inclusion of Eager. However, would you pay him first round money? We've been debating for a year and a half the idea of letting him reenter so we could select him with a later pick. Does that strike you as a guy who was going to be key to our future? He was going to be a good depth player who might score 15 goals provided he gets some time on the front line. Radivojevic developed into a solid third liner. I liked him as well but he was expendable. Burke? I think the world of Burke but I think the organization made a heck of a move both for Burke and for the future of this organization.

Comrie is a great player. He has a star aura and will give our offense a huge boost. How can you not like the thought of this guy playing with Nagy and Doan. He's easily the best player in the deal and he's a Coyote. This return is certainly a lot better than the Mike Van Ryn and Justin Papineau and various fifth round picks that we were looking at before. Sure, we gave up some good kids in Eager and Branko. At the end of the day though we are a better team today and tomorrow. I'm excited about this team. I hate small players as a rule but Comrie is different.
Good points hbk. I have to admit Branko and Eager are expendable assets and we did pick up Radivojevic as a free agent.

I dont care for Comrie but I am excited at the prospect of perhaps finally having two solid scoring lines. I definitely hope he will make me regret my admittedly harsh judgment. We put a lot of eggs in the Comrie basket though if we are not getting Seidenberg. Its been what an hour? How long does it take to make a phone call and complete the deal?

Old
02-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Dan

Might sound like I'm drinking Barnett's koolaid, but I don't mind the deal. I would have liked to have another player with the offense and potential of a Comrie....ok, I'll say it, more size for our top two line center is what I would prefer. But you cannot deny that Comrie can be that dynamic top six forward we lack. He's young and cheap by our standards. Burke has been amazing for us, he's tailed off this year a bit, but we owe him a big thank you. He's carried this team and I hope he can carry the Flyers if they need it. If he plays like we have seen him play, maybe he will earn the respect among other team fans that Coyote fans have for him. I love Branko. Hard working and no quit. Great third liner gets his nose dirty type. I had hoped for more offense from him, but it never happened. Maybe the east will be more his style. I was just thinking that Philly has two of our ex players that play balls out hockey in Elvis and Branko. All that said, Johnson, Doan, Sjostrom are likely not going anywhere on the right side. Sjostrom will replace Branko's two-way game and add more offense. Fine with me. And Ben Eager. Me, hbk, and Greg said from day one, 'one day Ben Eager is going to come calling for first round money and what are you going to do? Is he worth it?' Maybe to a money bags team, but I don't think he's worth it to us. I really thought he would go back in and give us another second round pick as compensation. Him being traded makes me think that was a possibility. I would have liked to have that pick. All in all, I feel like we improve our team now and in the future. I can see where some of the asset management crowd will complain about this deal and from the Eager perspective, I can see their point. All in all, salary was shed and we got a top six player that will help immediately and grow with the other young forwards on the team.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:36 PM
XX
SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex
How long does it take to make a phone call and complete the deal?
a long time

personally I dont think the TSN reports are final, and that a few details could change.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:38 PM
Hordichuk_24

I don't like the fact that we lose Eager here. I don't mind losing Burke and Branko, but I have mixed feelings at the moment. I do like Comrie though. Makes the Gratton trade a little better. Comrie is better offensively and defensively than Briere. And we ended up with our big physical center in Gratton...

Old
02-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk

I liked the deal when it was Branko/Burke for Comrie/Seidenberg, I like it less when I think about the possibility of Branko/Burke for just Comrie but now it's apparently Branko/Burke/Eager for just Comrie?!? Who knows how the trade will come out in the end and I'm not saying it's not reasonable but it sure seems like we always get bullied when it comes to trade negotiations and that is what drives me nuts!!! :mad:

One last thing, I don't see how Comrie has "star aura".

Old
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy
I liked the deal when it was Branko/Burke for Comrie/Seidenberg, I like it less when I think about the possibility of Branko/Burke for just Comrie but now it's apparently Branko/Burke/Eager for just Comrie?!? Who knows how the trade will come out in the end and I'm not saying it's not reasonable but it sure seems like we always get bullied when it comes to trade negotiations and that is what drives me nuts!!! :mad:

One last thing, I don't see how Comrie has "star aura".

He was a dominant player when he was with the Oilers. He sees the ice extremely well.

His progress:
Age 20 - 41 GP 8 G 14 A 22 PTS
Age 21 - 82 GP 33 G 27 A 60 PTS
Age 22 - 69 GP 20 G 31 A 51 PTS

Note: last season he broke his thumb halfway through the season last year which explains the drop in production.

At the 41 game marke he had 14 G 20A 34 PTS.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:55 PM
loveshack2

As an outside observer I think it looks at first like the Coyotes gave up too much, but then consider the long-term implications. Burke will be gone in a year or two, and you've got Boucher. Branko you got for nothing (UFA) and has low 2nd line upside tops (IMHO). Eager is a, well, as someone else in this thread said, he's Dallas Drake. And in exchange you receive a guy who's young, has already proven he can handle 1st line duties, and has scored 30 goals in this league. I think it's obvious the Coyotes got the best player in the deal even if they had to give up a little more than they were hoping to get him. I also really like the Coyotes top two lines for a young up and coming team after this trade....

Nagy - Comrie - Doan
Hrdina - Langkow - Johnson

Old
02-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Dan

phoenixcoyotes.com makes it official

Old
02-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
a long time

personally I dont think the TSN reports are final, and that a few details could change.
I guess you can stop posting this opinion in everyone of these threads and admit this is the actual deal now.

I actually don't think Phoenix gave up too much, seems like a pretty well-rounded deal to me. As was aforementioned all the assets the 'Yotes gave up were expendable, maybe they could have gotten better return for them mind you, but there presence won't be a huge loss I don't think.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Thanks Dan.. finally an official report.

Seems like Phoenix were holding out for a defenseman as well. I still think they should've gotten a pick of some kind if they backed down on the defenseman >

Old
02-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Brad*

If Comrie can play up to his level, he's a really good player. IHowever, recently he was really struggling and it looked like he wasn't a real good fit in Philadelphia so he was expendable. I personally think he'll do much better in Phoenix than in Philadelphia, but that's just me.

Anyways, I'm OK with this trade. I thought it would be a lot worse, actually.

Closed Thread