HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Deal Is Offcial

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 08:27 PM
CaputMortuum

vCash: 500
Absolute Crap w/o getting Seidenberg. :mad:

Old
02-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
And in exchange you receive a guy who's young, has already proven he can handle 1st line duties, and has scored 30 goals in this league.
Plus it only took him 3 years to have his first holdout!!!

Old
02-09-2004, 08:51 PM
ulf

the last time i saw comrie play was against the yotes last year.with the lead he was benched as his defensive game was very briere like....he didn't quit he was just being man-handled by the yotes forwards.since then injuries and confidence have seen him move twice and fall from 1st line in edm to 4th line in both edm and philly.

this kid has great upside ala dionne or yzerman....if he meets his potential we did real well...if not he wasn't worth half what we paid.imo

from a business point of view ...great deal for the yotes,we shed a contract we could no longer afford,while opening the door for all our goalie prospects to move up a level.the 4.75 mill may bring us in a great player with that money.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:56 PM
hbk

how are we in terms of payroll? Are we below the magic 35 million number yet?

Old
02-09-2004, 09:13 PM
PhoPhan

I think well below. What worries me is that Comrie is a FA at the end of the year again.

Old
02-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Dancing Chicken

As of now I hope that Mike is no longer aloud to trade with Philly any more.. I personally would not trade Branko for Mike straight up.. Lets hope this improve Mikes improves our offence but I WILL NEVER buy a Mike jersey.. He better play his ego butt off.. Maybe its because I live so close to Edmonton and I heard all the crap he was pulling.. We finally rid our selfs of the "its all about me egos" and we get one back.. I am sorry folks I hope I am wrong and eat crow.. I really do..

Old
02-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I think well below. What worries me is that Comrie is a FA at the end of the year again.
Are you serious?! Comrie is a free agent at the end of the year?! <sigh> this just keeps getting better

Old
02-09-2004, 10:38 PM
eye

hbk's points have tempered my feelings somewhat but I still think the Yotes gave up too much. I don't see Eager in the NHL but Branko is going to be a force in the next couple of years. Comrie was great his first year until teams started to figure him out and until the league takes a zero tolerance approach to obstruction, holding, hooking, tripping even slight hooks that slow players down then he will be no better than Briere was IMO. He will have some good games and score some highlight goals but overall value to the team does not equal Branko and Burke. Was Mike Barnett Bobby Clarkes agent or something?

Old
02-09-2004, 10:41 PM
hbk

take this for what it is worth:

both Scott Taylor and Bob McKenzie liked the deal for Phoenix.

Old
02-09-2004, 11:11 PM
ducky

I could stomach us adding Eager - not a smart first pick (Steen please) - but not at the expense of losing Seidenberg.

Instead of it being 2 for 2 it is a 3 for 1 deal.

We overpayed.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:21 AM
Stunned

A few things:

First, as others have said, I would have loved to have had Seidenberg included in this deal. If for no other reason that it would have removed BF's excuse to continue to play the Doaner at the point on PP. I hate seeing Doan there and think that it is a collosal waste of Doan's talents.

Second, while I would have loved to have heard (and believed at one point) that Seidenberg was coming too, I am glad that we've freed some salary up. I hope the yotes use this gain wisely and actually bring in an offensive minded dman (though I'm not sure who this would be). In my opinion, Tanabe was a great aquisition on our part. And I held this opinion before he got hurt in Detroit. His ability to just grab the puck and drive it upstream was huge given the fact that we have so few forwards that are capable of back checking enough and, in effect, doing the same thing. Adding a second dman who can do this would help us immensely.

With that said, I am getting tired of the fact that some continue to be of the mindset that the yotes need to save money. I'm not oblivious to the fact that the yotes have lost money for a while now (and a lot of it). And I'm not oblivious to the fact that next year (and beyond?) is in question. But what I am saying is that, in large part, the yotes have cried poor because of their lack of revenue streams for quite some time now. And, imho, with the new arena this argument is now officially <i>over</i>. Note that I do not want nor believe they need to spend like the top six (which I think is ridiculous and bad for the sport). But if getting the right dman adds a bit to payroll this year, then I think they need to do it. If for no other reason then it gives the die hard season ticket holders reason to be hopeful for the future (rather than purely hoping that we'll hang our hats on the kids growing into great hockey players). If, for some reason, a guy like this actually made the game more fun to watch, then we'd get even more than the die hard season tickets folks interested as well.

Here's my take on Comrie:
  1. I'm not a Comrie expert; I haven't really followed him at all other than what I've read (from you folks) and seen a little of.
  2. I liked Briere but would agree with anyone who said that lil Danny was a defensive liability. But, with that said, I think Briere had a really sh..ty situation with BF since BF seemed all too happy to put lil Danny in his place by either sending him down or benching him. I think BFs handling of lil Danny (and a whole bunch of others), essentially made his ability to perform well for the yotes questionable. Comments earlier about Comrie being benched for not following BFs dump and chase algorithm are exactly in line with what I'm saying here. I can't imagine BF being as able to do this to Comrie as he was able to do it with Briere.
So my net assesment is that Comrie will be a better player for us than Briere if, for no other reason, he is handled differently. I really hope that he doesn't work out to be the locker room cancer that others have mentioned.

Finally, I am really, really sad to see Burke go. Although we've known for a long time that it was inevitable, to me it is still a sad event. The player/man was awesome and embodies everything that I believe a true sportsman to be. Someone earlier stated that the Burke/Boosh exchange was a wash. To me, we'll know that in about three years. Burke, imho, was the franchise for the last few years and, unlike Roenick and Tkacuck, never proclaimed himself to be the team (or the league), but instead continued to be just that. Forgetting for the moment Burke stealing game after game after game for the yotes, his handling of the Gretzky olympic slight alone spoke volumes about the man behind the mask. I wish Burkie all the best and hope he wins a cup before retiring. A precious few athletes deserve as much as he does. Bye, bye Burkie. I <i>loved</i> having you call us home for a while. I can only regret that you won't be here as my five year old matures; I would have loved to have had you be his sports role model...

Old
02-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulf
this kid has great upside ala dionne or yzerman....if he meets his potential we did real well...if not he wasn't worth half what we paid.imo
Comrie can be a very good player, but no way in hell does he belong in the same sentence as Yzerman or Dionne. He should definitely be a good player for you guys, (certainly better than Briere) but I still highly doubt he ever becomes one of the elite "superstars" of the league.

We won't know who won this trade for quite a while.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:10 AM
Stunned

One thing I'm wondering about is Comrie's faceoff %; what is it? One thing I'll be glad to see is Langkow being pushed to the second line if Comrie's faceoff % is anything reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I love Langks, but his faceoffs have been hurting us big time for a while now.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:24 AM
c9orf

The End of the Smugness

Well, it would have been thrilling had we avoided losing Eager and gained Seidenberg. We could certainly use another good D prospect. However...

This is a fair trade. A better GM would have exploited the situation to extract a more-than-fair trade under the circumstances, but fairness is not to be scoffed at. Comrie addresses a long-term deficiency; we all had serious concerns regarding Eager. Radivojevic was expendable.

Comrie is a legitimate Langkow-quality center, who is sorely needed. For some strange reason, Hrdina was never satisfactory in that role.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Gwyddbwyll

It was 50.9 in Philly and 47 in Edmonton roughly.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:00 AM
Hordichuk_24

Looks like Comrie is really happy to be here. Which is great news.

Burke sent to Flyers
By Jerry Brown, Tribune

Phoenix management told goalie Sean Burke his sparkling five-year tenure in Arizona would come to an end on Monday, and the Coyotes made good on their word.
Even though it took almost all day to put the deal to bed.

Phoenix sent its 37-year-old, three-time All-Star to the Philadelphia Flyers — reuniting him with former Coyote teammate Robert Esche — along with right wing Branko Radivojevic and the rights to 2002 first-round draft pick Ben Eager.

In return, the Coyotes received 23-year-old center Mike Comrie, who scored 53 goals and collected 133 points over two years in Edmonton and is now playing for his third team in three months.

The deal, near completion for days, was expected to fetch the Coyotes some defensive help as well. Although two young Flyer blueliners — Jim Vandermeer and Dennis Seidenberg — were widely discussed, the deal wound up a three-for-one transaction. The Flyers did trade a defenseman Monday, shipping veteran Eric Weinrich to St. Louis for a fifth-round draft pick to make room for the additions from the Coyotes.

“We have acquired an electric, exciting player who will put people in the seats and then on the edge of them,'' said Phoenix general manager Mike Barnett, who is close friends with the Comrie family and first saw Mike play as a 5-year-old in Edmonton. “We've upgraded our offense and team speed in the last year and adding Comrie to the mix makes us even quicker and more explosive.''

Money-wise, the Coyotes downsized again. Burke has a contract option for $4.25 million next year, while Radivojevic would cost at least another $1 million. Eager, the 23rd overall pick of the 2002 draft, had back-to-back disappointing seasons in the Ontario League and would likely have cost about $1 million to sign before the June deadline.

Meanwhile Comrie, who is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, signed a one-year (prorated) $1.5 million contract with the Flyers after a two-month holdout in Edmonton. He promises there will be no repeat when he and the Coyotes come to the bargaining table.

“It's great to be going to a young, exciting team where I think I fit in well,'' said the 5-foot-9, 185-pound Comrie, who many describe as a tougher version of former Coyote Daniel Briere. “I thought when both of the goalies in Philly (Esche and Jeff Hackett) went down with injuries that I might be moved. I think it worked out great for me personally.''

“I've only had one full season in the league (2001-02) and I scored 33 goals. I'm looking forward to showing that kind of production again.''

The Coyotes will recall goalie Jean-Marc Pelletier from their American Hockey League affiliate in Springfield, Mass., to back up starter Brian Boucher when Phoenix resumes play Wednesday night in Anaheim. Boucher, who set two modern NHL records with five straight shutouts last month, is now the man between the pipes in Phoenix. For Burke, it was a bittersweet end to a stint in Phoenix that included two All-Star appearances, one Vezina Trophy nomination and the resurrection of his status as a top NHL goalie.

“The whole time I've been in Phoenix, I've thought about what a good fit it was and a great place it would be to help build a Stanley Cup team,'' said Burke, who was a Flyer in 1997-98 but was not re-signed after they fell in the first round of the playoffs. “It's not a case of being shafted or not treated fairly.

When they traded for Boosh, this was the plan all along. I can't say I didn't expect it to end like this.

“From (goalie coach) Benoit (Allaire) to the coaching staff to the trainers and the front office, they have been nothing but class in dealing with me. If I hadn't have come to Phoenix (in a 1999 trade with Florida for Mikhail Shtalenkov), my career might have been over by now.''

In a bit of role reversal, Burke comes to Philadelphia as a backup. Esche will miss the next month with a knee sprain but has already been anointed by Flyers management as the No. 1 goalie.

“Everyone knows Sean is my best friend,'' Esche said Monday. “He knows I want to play every day, and I know he wants to play every day. But we leave that at the door. We work very well together.''

Radivojevic, who scored 21 goals in the last two seasons, was stunned by the trade.

“Obviously you have no control, but I liked being here,'' Radivojevic said. “This was my first team; I felt I was fitting in well. It was very surprising to hear something different.''

Old
02-10-2004, 05:20 AM
bobbyboucher24

Just 1 more thing. Several people have called Philly Phoenix East with all the ex-Coyotes. Well, Phoenix could be called Philly West with all the ex-Flyers: Sillinger, Boucher, Pelletier, Gratton, Langkow, Comrie. I might be missing somone.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:06 AM
winnipegjets4life

I had a quick look on the philly board. Everyone seems to be pleased with Eager more than burke. Im a little dissapointed at how much we've given up. I dont think comrie is worth that much. I would rather have given up someone like sillinger .... along with eager i think that owuld have been enough. Maybe not, it doesnt matter now anyways.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:18 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets4life
I had a quick look on the philly board. Everyone seems to be pleased with Eager more than burke. Im a little dissapointed at how much we've given up. I dont think comrie is worth that much. I would rather have given up someone like sillinger .... along with eager i think that owuld have been enough. Maybe not, it doesnt matter now anyways.

I'm surprised at the love fest for Eager myself. We were largely ridiculed for drafting a goon at the 23rd pick. Weak draft though. He still has a lot of work to do to even make the NHL. One of the Phoenix papers indicated it would take over a million to sign him. Handing out million dollar contracts to 3rd line players (top end potential) is something the league as a whole needs to do less of. I think Phoenix was prepared to let him re-enter the draft.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
I'm surprised at the love fest for Eager myself. We were largely ridiculed for drafting a goon at the 23rd pick. Weak draft though. He still has a lot of work to do to even make the NHL. One of the Phoenix papers indicated it would take over a million to sign him. Handing out million dollar contracts to 3rd line players (top end potential) is something the league as a whole needs to do less of. I think Phoenix was prepared to let him re-enter the draft.
He went from goon to Bertuzzi in a day on the boards. Best of luck to Ben.

Old
02-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegjets4life
If you think about what the Flyers gave up for Comrie, a solid prospect (Wowiytka), a 1st rounder, and 3rd rounder...compare that to what was somewhat expected on a return for Burker (2-3rd rounder), Ben Eager (recent 1st rounder) and Radivocevik, and the returns are nearly equal.

The unfortunate part was that the rumored deal greatly favored Phoenix as we picked up Seidenberg or Vandameer and perhaps a pick, while not giving up Eager. That just led to the fans getting their hopes up when the tables turned.

How credible is Barnett for saying there was no trade on the table a few days ago, and then he came out and said he had put the trade on the table Friday.

Old
02-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Yotes03

Barnett proves once again he should go back to being an agent. The original deal would have been a good one. But now we lose Seidenberg and throw in Eager? Eager is going to be a solid player in this league. It's amazing how teams in this league are able to make us pay out of our nose for the privilege of giving away our best players.

We need a new GM. :mad:

Old
02-10-2004, 09:27 AM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes

How credible is Barnett for saying there was no trade on the table a few days ago, and then he came out and said he had put the trade on the table Friday.
About as creditable as when he told Abid to buy a house in Phoenix and then traded him a couple weeks later. Did the same thing to Spiller earlier this year. His word is worthless.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes03
About as creditable as when he told Abid to buy a house in Phoenix and then traded him a couple weeks later. Did the same thing to Spiller earlier this year. His word is worthless.
Agreed, which says that he's not the one who is really in charge either. I don't know if it's Fletcher or Gretzky, but Barnett is just the PR guy for whomever is in charge. We need to remember in the future that Barnett is not a man of his word.

P.S. It was just within the past week Barnett was saying that BF was not the problem with this team, so I guess he'll be gone by seasons end.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:48 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
P.S. It was just within the past week Barnett was saying that BF was not the problem with this team, so I guess he'll be gone by seasons end.
I was thinking the same thing. If this was Bobby Smith saying this, you could write it in stone Smith played his cards so close to the vest it was not funny. Not that that's a bad thing.

Closed Thread