HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier scores...

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Messier scores...

strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....

Old
02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....
I forgot about Jags too.

Old
02-08-2004, 06:12 PM
pld459666

Do you really believe that if he's playing again next year

Quote:

the NHL won't put him in the All-Star game??

Old
02-08-2004, 06:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

As much as it's hard for Messier to not be tainted...

Quote:
by being associated with this current crop of Rangers, it was nice to see him score. Hopefully, after he's retired, and both Ranger management and Ranger fans have been able to move beyond the disaster that the Rangers have been the last seven years, we will remember for the great competitor he once was.

Old
02-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Fletch

I think most will, jas..

he got a pretty nice reception for his introduction. People around still like to see him play. Granted, it's because they support teams that play against the Rangers.

Old
02-08-2004, 07:49 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
he got a pretty nice reception for his introduction. People around still like to see him play. Granted, it's because they support teams that play against the Rangers.
And to think I thought people liked seeing him play because he is one of the top 5 players ever to play the game, one of the greatest competitors ever and probably the best Captain in the history of hockey ... and to think every Eastern All-Star got their picture taken with him because "they support teams that play against the Rangers."

Any other Messier bashers out there? Please line up ...

Old
02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Fletch

Don't understand sarcasm?

re-read the post...starting with the end of the post to which I responded. Then come back and tell me if I was bashing Messier...

Old
02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
Laches

I was happy to see Mess score as well, I was hoping they'd give him the MVP, would have been kind of a nice tribute

I really wish we would just trade the guy. It was bad enough seeing Gretzky play his last couple of years trying desperately but unsuccessfully to win with a bunch of has-beens, cast-offs, journeymen and bums in this cess pool of an organization when he could have contributed so much playing in a limited role for a legit contender. Now we're going to see Messier suffer the same fate? Gretzky deserved better then, and Mess deserves better now.

Old
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
I was happy to see Mess score as well, I was hoping they'd give him the MVP, would have been kind of a nice tribute

I really wish we would just trade the guy. It was bad enough seeing Gretzky play his last couple of years trying desperately but unsuccessfully to win with a bunch of has-beens, cast-offs, journeymen and bums in this cess pool of an organization when he could have contributed so much playing in a limited role for a legit contender. Now we're going to see Messier suffer the same fate? Gretzky deserved better then, and Mess deserves better now.
Sather will come to the conclusion this team is going nowhere, and then offer both Mess and Leetch the opportunity to finish out their careers on Cup contrenders. Messier might only bring back a nominal amount, but, if Leetch (who I'm not against keeping around to finish his career as a Ranger) decides he'll agree to a trade, he could bring back a decent package.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Edge

it was nice to see him in the game. i too forgot that jagr was in.

my fiance pointed out that she was amused watching me watch messier score in an allstar game, apparently i smile like a little kid.

it was nice to see and i think in time people will forget how bad these last seasons have been and remember the whole of his career.

thank god there are no hats or jerseys for the hockey hall of fame plaque. though he had his best success as an oiler {how can you top that really} i think it would be a very hard decision to pick either the rangers or the oilers for him.

Old
02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Sather will come to the conclusion this team is going nowhere, and then offer both Mess and Leetch the opportunity to finish out their careers on Cup contrenders. Messier might only bring back a nominal amount, but, if Leetch (who I'm not against keeping around to finish his career as a Ranger) decides he'll agree to a trade, he could bring back a decent package.
Dollars to donuts that--given the choice--both of them choose to stay. Especially Messier.

Closed Thread