HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Messier scores...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2004, 05:31 PM
  #1
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Messier scores...

strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....

Fletch is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
  #2
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Fire Sather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....
I forgot about Jags too.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 06:12 PM
  #3
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,578
vCash: 500
Do you really believe that if he's playing again next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....

the NHL won't put him in the All-Star game??

pld459666 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 06:13 PM
  #4
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,195
vCash: 500
As much as it's hard for Messier to not be tainted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
strange thinking that the 'Rangers' have two all stars. I actually forgot for a second that Jagr's a Ranger. I saw all the Messier retirement talk in other threads, and it was reiterated once again. Although, perhaps Messier's comment means he's not going to be an All Star again (I believe the comment was he'll always remember his first All Star Game appearance, and he'll always remember this, his last All Star Game appearance). We shall see....
by being associated with this current crop of Rangers, it was nice to see him score. Hopefully, after he's retired, and both Ranger management and Ranger fans have been able to move beyond the disaster that the Rangers have been the last seven years, we will remember for the great competitor he once was.

jas is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 06:43 PM
  #5
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
I think most will, jas..

he got a pretty nice reception for his introduction. People around still like to see him play. Granted, it's because they support teams that play against the Rangers.

Fletch is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 07:49 PM
  #6
ddheyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cliffside Park, NJ
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
he got a pretty nice reception for his introduction. People around still like to see him play. Granted, it's because they support teams that play against the Rangers.
And to think I thought people liked seeing him play because he is one of the top 5 players ever to play the game, one of the greatest competitors ever and probably the best Captain in the history of hockey ... and to think every Eastern All-Star got their picture taken with him because "they support teams that play against the Rangers."

Any other Messier bashers out there? Please line up ...

ddheyman is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
  #7
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Don't understand sarcasm?

re-read the post...starting with the end of the post to which I responded. Then come back and tell me if I was bashing Messier...

Fletch is offline  
Old
02-09-2004, 08:24 AM
  #8
Laches
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
I was happy to see Mess score as well, I was hoping they'd give him the MVP, would have been kind of a nice tribute

I really wish we would just trade the guy. It was bad enough seeing Gretzky play his last couple of years trying desperately but unsuccessfully to win with a bunch of has-beens, cast-offs, journeymen and bums in this cess pool of an organization when he could have contributed so much playing in a limited role for a legit contender. Now we're going to see Messier suffer the same fate? Gretzky deserved better then, and Mess deserves better now.

Laches is offline  
Old
02-09-2004, 08:31 AM
  #9
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,195
vCash: 500
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
I was happy to see Mess score as well, I was hoping they'd give him the MVP, would have been kind of a nice tribute

I really wish we would just trade the guy. It was bad enough seeing Gretzky play his last couple of years trying desperately but unsuccessfully to win with a bunch of has-beens, cast-offs, journeymen and bums in this cess pool of an organization when he could have contributed so much playing in a limited role for a legit contender. Now we're going to see Messier suffer the same fate? Gretzky deserved better then, and Mess deserves better now.
Sather will come to the conclusion this team is going nowhere, and then offer both Mess and Leetch the opportunity to finish out their careers on Cup contrenders. Messier might only bring back a nominal amount, but, if Leetch (who I'm not against keeping around to finish his career as a Ranger) decides he'll agree to a trade, he could bring back a decent package.

jas is offline  
Old
02-09-2004, 02:34 PM
  #10
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
it was nice to see him in the game. i too forgot that jagr was in.

my fiance pointed out that she was amused watching me watch messier score in an allstar game, apparently i smile like a little kid.

it was nice to see and i think in time people will forget how bad these last seasons have been and remember the whole of his career.

thank god there are no hats or jerseys for the hockey hall of fame plaque. though he had his best success as an oiler {how can you top that really} i think it would be a very hard decision to pick either the rangers or the oilers for him.

Edge is offline  
Old
02-09-2004, 09:21 PM
  #11
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Sather will come to the conclusion this team is going nowhere, and then offer both Mess and Leetch the opportunity to finish out their careers on Cup contrenders. Messier might only bring back a nominal amount, but, if Leetch (who I'm not against keeping around to finish his career as a Ranger) decides he'll agree to a trade, he could bring back a decent package.
Dollars to donuts that--given the choice--both of them choose to stay. Especially Messier.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.