HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Props to Gainey for the signing the "useless" Free Agents

Old
04-22-2008, 12:27 AM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Props to Gainey for the signing the "useless" Free Agents

The supposed questionable or bad Free Agent signings were key to this series. Smolinski, Kostopolous, Hamrlik, and Brisebois all contributed majorly throughout the series. Kudos to Gainey for acquiring them. Also, kudos to Gainey for making the ballsy move in trading away Huet to make way for this uproven rookie goaltender. What's his name again? GM of the year.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:34 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
The supposed questionable or bad Free Agent signings were key to this series. Smolinski, Kostopolous, Hamrlik, and Brisebois all contributed majorly throughout the series. Kudos to Gainey for acquiring them. Also, kudos to Gainey for making the ballsy move in trading away Huet to make way for this uproven rookie goaltender. What's his name again? GM of the year.
Yeah, he's been winning a lot lately as has the scouting staff of course. Carbonneau got his act together after a weird start too.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:37 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
I'll gladly eat crow for bashing the Hamrlik signing. I really didn't think he'd add anything to our line-up. Very glad to be wrong on that one.

The Kostopoulos signing though, I liked from day one. His grit was a welcome addition. I knew we were getting a good one in TK.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Smolinski - had a rough year but has been solid for the last month or so, so props for that
Hamrlik - no explanatiion needed, props for that
Kostopoulos - i met the guy at the first day of camp and i loved his attitude, like even more now, props for that
Brisebois, no props for nothing, he is horrible. He may play a good game here and there, but over,

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Grit Players are what you need in the Playoff's. The Power Play cannot be relied on as the games are called differently. The 4th Lines like The Smoke & Fire Line are crucial, & Carbo knows this.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
I've been on smolinski's back all year.... I take it back.

great , unexpected playoff performer... he's being very intelligent (most of the times) on the ice... his line rocks.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:50 AM
les3couleurs

Tonight, he was my favorite player on the ice. Loved his moxy. Work on the PK was awesome. Playing with Begin and Kostopoulos has given him a new life. Their hustle give him the chance to reap the reward by getting the rushed d's turnover. Could he look that good without them, I highly doubt it.

Real smart plays all night long. One I really liked was on the PK, one on one with Chara, taking the slapshot from just inside the blueline taking what the giant gave him and taking a chance on Thomas, with who you can never know what might happen.

He played a smart yet aggressive game.

Oh and yeah I couldn't stand him before the last few games of the season either. He made lazy bone plays at critical moments that he hasn't done yet in the playoffs.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 12:53 AM
guest1467

All four signings have been pure genious and have already reeped rewards. Kudos to Gainey.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 05:48 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Brisebois didn't play a great game tonight but he was very good during the first 4 or 5 games .. one of our best defenseman. His leadership also seems to be a key to this team.. as shown by the words he uses about his teammates.

Smolinski
has been great for a the better part of a month.

Kosto, I always liked. Works hard, can chip in offensively.

Hamrlik .. I was skeptical of the signing at $5.5M (I liked it when reported at $3.5 and $4).. but he's been incredible. Go Hammer! Honestly, he's my Habs MVP this year.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

They've been gold for us down the stretch. Although I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of them wouldn't be there next year....

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Smolinski - had a rough year but has been solid for the last month or so, so props for that
Hamrlik - no explanatiion needed, props for that
Kostopoulos - i met the guy at the first day of camp and i loved his attitude, like even more now, props for that
Brisebois, no props for nothing, he is horrible. He may play a good game here and there, but over,
Agree except for the Brisebois part. He came here knowing he would not play every game and to help the young dman in the organization. He has done that I think. Why Carbo has played him in all the playoff games I do not know but meh.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:55 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
In the beginning I did not like the amount of money Hamrlik got but he has been worth every penny and more.
Brisebois has had a respectable playoff but I do not believe he will play very much in the 2nd round.

I hated Smolinski all season long, when he took that penalty against the Predators late in the game in the offensive zone and the Predators eventually scored on the power play to tie the game I was furious. I thought he had incriminating photos of Carbonneau and that was the only reason he was allowed to continue to play. But the playoffs have been a different story his line was fantastic each game and pretty much each shift.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Guillemin

I like the terms on each contract too. Hammer long term, we know he'll continue at the same pace. Kosto two years, great. Briser and Smoke one year each to prove they're worthy of extension. Unfortunately with all our rooks coming up, I can't really see either one coming back next year.

Guillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
They've been gold for us down the stretch. Although I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of them wouldn't be there next year....
2 will likely be gone, but not 3. Kosto & Hamrlik are signed through next season. Brisebois will likely retire and Smolinski will likely be allowed to walk with Chipchura coming along (with hopefully a proper shut-down C signed for depth and insurance).

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 08:43 AM
neofury*

Quote:

Great title man. Also <---- needs to be added back to the main smilies list dammit.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:01 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
We're talking about the same Brisebois who has five points and is third in team scoring?

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:21 AM
superstar436

I still think that smokes was a useless FA signing.

He was signed to play 3rd line cman or 3 rd line RW that would help in key face-offs. He is playing well on the 4th line coz he sucked as thrid line cman. kosto and begin are crash test dummies who take the slashs and beatings and he positions himself well wihcih is one of his strengths. He is not physical, not quick skater, not a leader, below average hands. There is a reason why he played with 7 different teams in 12-13 years.

when I look at it we have 2 4th lines with smokes and lapierre development. This is what will hurt s in 2nd round.

anway, not whining coz we won but hey someone opened this topic

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:23 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
We're talking about the same Brisebois who has five points and is third in team scoring?
Yes. He's brutal and should not be playing, IMO. O'byrne should be in there full time.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Maybe the money might make people think that signing Hamrlik was a bit overpayment, but if people thought it was bad because of his ability, then... well, I'm just not going to say anything.

I think he still has a solid offensive upside, but he just doesn't use it, especially since he's usually paired younger defence partners, or Brisebois. He could gamble with Brisebois back, as he makes a good defensively play 30% of the time. The only thing I like about his play, is his passes, other than that, he makes me nervous.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:28 AM
TheGoalJudge

Smolinski doesn't bring much to the table. It seems like he can't even win faceoffs either. Begin and Kosto make him look good because he has to do very little skating or hitting.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:38 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I don't want to take over this thread, but if you watched the game last night... Brisebois made at least 20 huge mistakes in the first period alone. He could've cost us the game early on... Fortunately, we have a great goaltender. Don't get me wrong, I usually defend Brisebois and kinda like the guy... but he was horrible last night.

Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Form and Substance

I bow to Kostopoulos for his monster first round performance.
That whole 4th line was genius. The most consistent and dominant line throughout the series.

Smokes played well too down the stretch, I don't remember yelling at him so much. But no thank you to next year. I'm still grateful he showed up when it mattered though. Actually I might be ok with bringing him back next year if he didn't actually jeopardize his team's chances at victory during the season.

Hamrlik, well what can I say, his presence has stabilized the defense. An absolutely underrated signing. Those who say he's overpaid can lick my cotton balls, he brings balance and a veteran presence that's worth more than the cap space he takes up.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Doctor House

All I know is Hammer stabilizes the defense and hence we're able to generate offense. Good signing.

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I hope we re-sign Kosto,I like the guy

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
I don't want to take over this thread, but if you watched the game last night... Brisebois made at least 20 huge mistakes in the first period alone. He could've cost us the game early on... Fortunately, we have a great goaltender. Don't get me wrong, I usually defend Brisebois and kinda like the guy... but he was horrible last night.
20 mistakes in the first period?

Talk about overblowing it.

He made a bunch of mistakes, but he didn't even make 20 all game.

Who cares if he played bad one game out of 7? Markov barely showed up for the series and Komisarek had only a few good games. None of our D-Man, except Hammer played a great, great series.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote