HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Dolphin fans...........

Old
04-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Good info on the draftees:

I knew Long only had 2 penalties his entire collegiate career, but I didn't know he only allowed 3 sacks. Wow!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/f...6334.htmlstory

04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Kiper was arguing with Hodge on NFL Live today about the Phins' picks. He was saying that they shouldn't have taken Long with the 1st pick if they were going to be taking Henne in the 2nd. His point was that if they're going to take Henne there, it shows they don't have full confidence in Beck and they should have selected Ryan 1st overall instead.

Dumb, imo. The Dolphins' line has been the team's biggest issue for years now and Jake Long greatly helps to solidify it. Henne's a good QB who will compete with Beck for the job. Both have a much better opportunity to succeed with Long on the line than they would have had without him. I'm not all that impressed with Ryan and don't think he's that much of an upgrade over Beck or Henne. He certainly wouldn't have been as effective with the line we had.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
...they should have selected Ryan 1st overall instead.
L
O
L

As a guy who watched A LOT of ACC games over the past 4 years and has seen Matt Ryan play live several times - including this year's ACC championship game in Jacksonville - Matt Ryan is going to be a nothing in the NFL. The only thing he has going for him is the prototypical QB build. Short of that he doesn't have much.

And remember, at the beginning of the year Chadd Henne was projected to compete for the Heisman but Michigan's season just totally went south from day one. I think that Henne actually has a better chance at being a legit #1 quarterback than Beck does. I'm actually very happy with the Henne pick.

Henne > Beck >>>>>>>>> Me > Ryan

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
L
O
L

As a guy who watched A LOT of ACC games over the past 4 years and has seen Matt Ryan play live several times - including this year's ACC championship game in Jacksonville - Matt Ryan is going to be a nothing in the NFL. The only thing he has going for him is the prototypical QB build. Short of that he doesn't have much.

And remember, at the beginning of the year Chadd Henne was projected to compete for the Heisman but Michigan's season just totally went south from day one. I think that Henne actually has a better chance at being a legit #1 quarterback than Beck does. I'm actually very happy with the Henne pick.

I was thinking the same thing about Ryan. He just seems to have Bust written all over him. I hope for his sake, and Atlanta's that he's not, but I'm glad the Phins didn't take him.

I think I remember seeing a stat last year or the year before that said that 1st round QBs don't make it like the later round QBs do. Especially if they're the first overall.

Old
04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I think I remember seeing a stat last year or the year before that said that 1st round QBs don't make it like the later round QBs do. Especially if they're the first overall.
I don't think that's necessarily true. It's just that we know the top-end QB picks because they are so high-profile and it's really easy to notice a high-profile bust whereas the QBs selected in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds don't make it either... but we never expected them to.

If I were a GM of an NFL franchise, I would NEVER draft a QB or RB high in the first round. Far too high-risk and relatively good replacements can be found in later rounds and in Free Agency.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I don't think that's necessarily true. It's just that we know the top-end QB picks because they are so high-profile and it's really easy to notice a high-profile bust whereas the QBs selected in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds don't make it either... but we never expected them to.

If I were a GM of an NFL franchise, I would NEVER draft a QB or RB high in the first round. Far too high-risk and relatively good replacements can be found in later rounds and in Free Agency.
I may have just been the number one overall pick, but I didn't remember it being to well for a lot of the 1st rounders. You're right, though, there's certainly a lot more pressure on them.

Old
04-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
L
O
L

IMO, Out of all the QB's taken, Henne looks to be the safest pick to becoming a QB at the next level. He is the only starting QB that played for a big time school in Michigan which had the stands packed at home and on the road. He knows what it feels like to play in front of a huge crowd, and thats something the other QB's have not really proven yet. Another plus Henne has is that he is use to playing in the cold up in Michigan which will help when we have to play NE, Jets & Bills on the road late in the season.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
IMO, Out of all the QB's taken, Henne looks to be the safest pick to becoming a QB at the next level. He is the only starting QB that played for a big time school in Michigan which had the stands packed at home and on the road. He knows what it feels like to play in front of a huge crowd, and thats something the other QB's have not really proven yet. Another plus Henne has is that he is use to playing in the cold up in Michigan which will help when we have to play NE, Jets & Bills on the road late in the season.
All valid points, good post.

05-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Phins signed 14 College Free Agents today. 5 of them WR's!

Old
05-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Hey everybody! Phins have a promo on their website that you can win a Luxury suite for a game. I just entered. You guys should enter too and if any of us win we should all go!

Old
05-02-2008, 12:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Hey everybody! Phins have a promo on their website that you can win a Luxury suite for a game. I just entered. You guys should enter too and if any of us win we should all go!
Im down for that.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 01:49 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Quote:
I was just there, I didnt see anything. Where on the site was it? and whats the contest?

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I was just there, I didnt see anything. Where on the site was it? and whats the contest?
You have to go to the website and let the intro play out.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote