HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia vs Montreal - Round 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
GlorifiedMe

vCash: 500
Bring on the Flyers!

Old
04-22-2008, 11:41 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I'm a Flyers fan who thinks the Habs are going to take this series, and that they may even do so easily.

However, some of you have posted a few things that are just wrong.

One poster said something like the Flyers defense struggled against Ovechkin. That's not really accurate. They actually did a terrific job shutting him down for most of game 1, all of games 2, 3, & 4, and most of game 5.

The Flyers aren't slow. They're very quick. Particularly up front. The only forward who could be called slow is Prospal and Knuble if healthy.

The Flyers defense is also actually fairly mobile with two notable exceptions named Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher. However, Hatcher is perhaps the most positionally sound defenseman in the game, and it makes up for his utter lack of foot speed. Also, Timonen and Coburn are going to play more than 25 minutes a night, and they both skate very well. The black hole on the Flyers defense has been the Smith-Modry pairing, which at one point was on the ice for the first 12 Caps goals in the series, which is an incredible stat when you think about it.

The Habs aren't going to beat the Flyers by skating around their defensemen.

Additionally, Biron is a good (not great) goaltender, and while he may not win a series, he won't lose you one either.

The Habs are going to beat the Flyers by exploiting the Flyers true weakness, which is a penchant for playing stupid and panicked for long stretches of time. You don't generally beat the Flyers on the rush. You beat them by controlling the puck in their zone for long periods of time, wearing out the defenders until all hell breaks loose and suddenly the puck is behind Marty.

Anyway, here's to a great series. I hope I'm wrong about the outcome.

Old
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Jovial

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
The black hole on the Flyers defense has been the Smith-Modry pairing, which at one point was on the ice for the first 12 Caps goals in the series, which is an incredible stat when you think about it.
Holy smokes, are you serious?? This is a disgusting stats.

Old
04-22-2008, 11:45 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Buffalo.........
Dude, I am drunk...

Old
04-22-2008, 11:46 PM
tony152

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
7-0-1 meant nothing....

Mitch
We didn't lose a game against them, the bruins are 0-7-1 agianst us.

Old
04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

lets get it on

Old
04-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Grabo59

I think that Habs should have an advantage right off the bat. Game 1 on Thursday will be the Flyers' third game in four days, in three different cities.

Coming out of a seven game series and with this situation they will be tired, I see a win in game 1 and a Habs win in 6.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:00 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Should be a great fast paced, tough physical series. I hope Carbonneau keeps the 1st two lines the same as in game 7 versus Boston. Lots of offensive drive right there.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:05 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foller View Post
Holy smokes, are you serious?? This is a disgusting stats.
Yep, it is disgusting. To be fair, Smith was only on the ice for 11 of the first 12, meanwhile Modry was out for all 12 goals.

Though Stevens has apparently seen the light and scrateched Modry, deciding that Kukkonen is a better defenseman, something any Flyers fan could have told him weeks and weeks ago.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:06 AM
bipolarhabfan

First time in twenty years that we are going to face the Flyers.

2-1 all time record against them.

Won 4-2 in 89, lost 4-2 in 87, and won 4-0 in 76.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:09 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Here's to a great series folks! Should be a lot of fun!

Old
04-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I hope this series turns out as fun as I hope. I hope they underestimate the hitting ability of the Habs.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:14 AM
Garo

They don't have a Chara, that alone makes me really happy.

It'll be interesting though, two young, very talented and deep teams.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:22 AM
huet the master

I like the Habs to take this series, but remember the curse of the hometown Quebecois goalies. This season, the quebecois goaltenders have come back home to prove something.

This ends now!

It's the playoffs , and were on a mission.

GO HABS GO

Old
04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
m00ks

Anybody underestimating the Flyers have not learned anything from the Boston series. Flyers offense is miles ahead of Boston and their PP is just as lethal. Unless we play a disciplined game this series can turn out a lot different than most of you suspect.

I'm just happy to be watching a wide open game rather than a suffocating one, something we would have gotten against the Rangers as well.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:34 AM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by huet the master View Post
I like the Habs to take this series, but remember the curse of the hometown Quebecois goalies. This season, the quebecois goaltenders have come back home to prove something.

This ends now!

It's the playoffs , and were on a mission.

GO HABS GO
We have the ghost at the Bell Centre. We are not afraid of any curse.

Old
04-23-2008, 12:47 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Anybody underestimating the Flyers have not learned anything from the Boston series. Flyers offense is miles ahead of Boston and their PP is just as lethal. Unless we play a disciplined game this series can turn out a lot different than most of you suspect.

I'm just happy to be watching a wide open game rather than a suffocating one, something we would have gotten against the Rangers as well.
true but their d zone coverage is brutal...so they are far worse defensively than Boston

Old
04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If you beat us, you better show us the respect of destroying even more stuff than you did when you beat Buffalo.
Man I like you already, I wish you were a habs fan. You seem to be a riot

EDIT : Riot, get it ?

Last edited by Des Louise: 04-23-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old
04-23-2008, 12:56 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy1234 View Post
We are as tough as Boston, but better offensively. Can't wait until Thursday at 7.
We matched with Boston's toughness quite well, I never felt our team was intimidated by the rough stuff all year long, and they weren't in round 1 either. We have some guys capable of stepping up for that.

What made Boston a tough opponent for us in round 1 was their defense. They played really tight. I don't think the flyers defensive system and players is as strong as Boston's and that's what truely hurt us during that series.

You do have better offense than Boston which will kind of offset the lesser defense and IMO make up for a much more fun series to watch. Here's to a fun series to watch hopefully.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Raider917

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11440

games 5 and 6 on back to back days. i hope theres no afternooners, i hate that

Old
04-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11440

games 5 and 6 on back to back days. i hope theres no afternooners, i hate that
best case scenario, we dont need 5 or 6.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:11 AM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
true but their d zone coverage is brutal...so they are far worse defensively than Boston
honestly the way we played Boston, I can't say our d zone coverage was any better. It might look good on paper but the D suffered their share of meltdowns. We might score more goals but we might get scored upon a lot more as well. It goes hand in hand. I still like our chances against them than against the Rags.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:18 AM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Man I like you already, I wish you were a habs fan. You seem to be a riot
+1
I'm already starting to feel that the Flyers fans are going to be way less emotional than some of them Broons. I'm sure they're still going to hate us, but at least they're only going to hate us in the fun way.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
honestly the way we played Boston, I can't say our d zone coverage was any better. It might look good on paper but the D suffered their share of meltdowns. We might score more goals but we might get scored upon a lot more as well. It goes hand in hand. I still like our chances against them than against the Rags.
That goes hand in hand with the streit on the blue line experience + Markov playing injured/like crap. We know at least one of these issues has been resolved, and we can now have a bit more scoring up front with Streit in a role he's better suited for.

Old
04-23-2008, 01:22 AM
JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I'm a Flyers fan who thinks the Habs are going to take this series, and that they may even do so easily.

However, some of you have posted a few things that are just wrong.

One poster said something like the Flyers defense struggled against Ovechkin. That's not really accurate. They actually did a terrific job shutting him down for most of game 1, all of games 2, 3, & 4, and most of game 5.

The Flyers aren't slow. They're very quick. Particularly up front. The only forward who could be called slow is Prospal and Knuble if healthy.

The Flyers defense is also actually fairly mobile with two notable exceptions named Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher. However, Hatcher is perhaps the most positionally sound defenseman in the game, and it makes up for his utter lack of foot speed. Also, Timonen and Coburn are going to play more than 25 minutes a night, and they both skate very well. The black hole on the Flyers defense has been the Smith-Modry pairing, which at one point was on the ice for the first 12 Caps goals in the series, which is an incredible stat when you think about it.

The Habs aren't going to beat the Flyers by skating around their defensemen.

Additionally, Biron is a good (not great) goaltender, and while he may not win a series, he won't lose you one either.

The Habs are going to beat the Flyers by exploiting the Flyers true weakness, which is a penchant for playing stupid and panicked for long stretches of time. You don't generally beat the Flyers on the rush. You beat them by controlling the puck in their zone for long periods of time, wearing out the defenders until all hell breaks loose and suddenly the puck is behind Marty.

Anyway, here's to a great series. I hope I'm wrong about the outcome.
good post.

The Habs' defence has looked pretty uneven over the past 10 days, and there have been long stretches where it seemed like only the 4th line came to play. Markov and Hamrlik have struggled and at times looked tired, and Brisebois has been downright crappy for entire periods of games. I think the Bruins got better and got some (deserved) breaks towards the end of the series, and the Habs got worn down. Price is very sound, but if the guys up front don't take care of business, it'll be a long series and could go either way.

Closed Thread