Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kipper

Old
04-23-2008, 07:05 AM
ThinMcWhistle

vCash: 500
Kipper

Mike keenan reportedly "dissapointed" in Kiprusoff's performance. I second that motion.. Seems that when he is in a pressure situation, ie. in World Cup 2004, he tends to choke a bit.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uutinen.asp?id=1522882

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 07:57 AM
QueenNothing

Yeah, agreed. Kipper is solely to be blamed and Keenan is the saviour of the Flames.
It was all Kippers fault that:
- D and forwards, after game was tied at two stopped trying like game had been already over and lost. And simply because that tieing goal wasn't thet great
- Capten Hook paniced and pulled Kipper, when there was over a period of hockey left, Flames were only down by two and fourth goal really wasn't weak, making Keenan to look like he had already given up the game. Result was cold CuJo letting in a back breaker.
- Flames being out shot 30-13 (or something like that) in the midle of second period.

COMPLETELY Kippers fault.

Yes World Cup final wasn't greatest game from him, but usually it has been scoring that has choked more than Kipper.

QueenNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiNsKa View Post
Mike keenan reportedly "dissapointed" in Kiprusoff's performance. I second that motion.. Seems that when he is in a pressure situation, ie. in World Cup 2004, he tends to choke a bit.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uutinen.asp?id=1522882
What? Are you kidding me? Kipper a choker in pressure situations?

Yeah, he was horrendous in the Detroit series last year, or the Anaheim series the season before. Not to mention how much he sucked in '04 Cup run as well.

Last night's game was the only game I watched in the Sharks/Flames series, and the loss was by no means Kipper's fault. Don't know how he played overall in the series though.

And people are still blaming Kipper for the '04 World Cup loss? Brodeur has let in a floater from center ice in Stanley Cup finals, he must be a choker too...

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel View Post
What? Are you kidding me? Kipper a choker in pressure situations?

Yeah, he was horrendous in the Detroit series last year, or the Anaheim series the season before. Not to mention how much he sucked in '04 Cup run as well.

Last night's game was the only game I watched in the Sharks/Flames series, and the loss was by no means Kipper's fault. Don't know how he played overall in the series though.

And people are still blaming Kipper for the '04 World Cup loss? Brodeur has let in a floater from center ice in Stanley Cup finals, he must be a choker too...
Don't let me tell you anything, listen to a guy who knows hockey and his assessment of the situation (Mike Keenan).Either way I don't really care, the guy hasn't impressed me since he had that cup run with Calgary, and I still blame him for a couple of soft goals in the World Cup that led to our loss.

Old
04-23-2008, 11:06 PM
illone84

letting a goal in the first minute of the first period and the first minute of the 3rd.

I cant blame him on the 3rd goal but definetely the 1rst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gRN7FLmjU

illone84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Don't let me tell you anything, listen to a guy who knows hockey and his assessment of the situation (Mike Keenan).
So you're saying I can't disagree with Keenan on Kipper's performance? What the hell was the point of creating this thread then if there's nothing to debate or discuss about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone84 View Post
letting a goal in the first minute of the first period and the first minute of the 3rd.

I cant blame him on the 3rd goal but definetely the 1rst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gRN7FLmjU
The 1st goal??? Yeah whatever, I am getting tired of arguing with Kipper haters... I am off.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
So you're saying I can't disagree with Keenan on Kipper's performance? What the hell was the point of creating this thread then if there's nothing to debate or discuss about?

The 1st goal??? Yeah whatever, I am getting tired of arguing with Kipper haters... I am off.
Kipper lovers...

Old
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
illone84

I am not a Kipper hater, I actually support the guy and hes my favourite goal tender.
But in that world cup game he didn't have his best night, neither did he
in game 7 against san jose.

In the stanley cup final he didnt choke though because he kept his team in the game by stopping that Vinny breakaway.

I am off.

Old
04-24-2008, 11:29 AM
In the Doghouse

There's a good column about Kipper on latest issue of Veikkaaja.

In the Doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone84 View Post
I am not a Kipper hater, I actually support the guy and hes my favourite goal tender.
But in that world cup game he didn't have his best night, neither did he
in game 7 against san jose.

In the stanley cup final he didnt choke though because he kept his team in the game by stopping that Vinny breakaway.

I am off.
Ok, now we can agree then. I never said that he was at his best in the World Cup final or the game 7 against the Sharks. I said you cant blame him for the loss in game 7 a couple nights ago. The team in front of him wasn't any better or worse than him.

As for the 2nd goal in the World Cup final.. yes he was a big part of the reason we lost the game by letting in that terrible softie. But people seriously should get over it. On the other hand, he was also a big part of the reason we ever advanced to the final.

Old
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Phenomenon

Quote:
As for the 2nd goal in the World Cup final.. yes he was a big part of the reason we lost the game by letting in that terrible softie. But people seriously should get over it. On the other hand, he was also a big part of the reason we ever advanced to the final.
Kipper was the best goalie in that WC and one of the key reasons for our place in the final. It is therefore unfair to blame him for that one softie after he stood on his head against USA etc.

It is no wonder that he does not want to play in national team, when people tend to blame him for everything...

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 12:11 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Kipper was the best goalie in that WC and one of the key reasons for our place in the final. It is therefore unfair to blame him for that one softie after he stood on his head against USA etc.

It is no wonder that he does not want to play in national team, when people tend to blame him for everything...
People wouldn't be that way if he didn't diss Finland the way he does. He has to remember that his biggest fans and supporters are Finns, and by constantly refusing to help our cause (for no apparent reason), he is slapping his fans in the face.

Old
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post

Brodeur was the best goalie of the tournament IMO, but other than that, I completely agree with you.

Old
04-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
People wouldn't be that way if he didn't diss Finland the way he does.
When has Kipper ever 'dissed' Finland?

Quote:
He has to remember that his biggest fans and supporters are Finns.
Yeah right, as we can clearly see that on these boards.

Old
04-24-2008, 01:20 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
When has Kipper ever 'dissed' Finland?

Yeah right, as we can clearly see that on these boards.
IMO it's a diss when you refuse to support your own country.

I was a huge fan until he started pulling the **** that he does.

Old
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
IMO it's a diss when you refuse to support your own country.
Have to disagree with you. Just because he doesn't care about some B class tournament (WHC) doesn't mean he's dissing his country.

I for one don't care much about that said tournament. Am I dissing my country too?

Old
04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Have to disagree with you. Just because he doesn't care about some B class tournament (WHC) doesn't mean he's dissing his country.

I for one don't care much about that said tournament. Am I dissing my country too?
I know, he doesn't even care about the "B" class Olympics.

As for you, I don't think anyone could care less if you pay attention or not. Kipper on the other hand is a celebrity that fans look up to, so they tend to care.

Old
04-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
I know, he doesn't even care about the "B" class Olympics.

As for you, I don't think anyone could care less if you pay attention or not. Kipper on the other hand is a celebrity that fans look up to, so they tend to care.
Fair enough. I guess some fans view it as he is dissing the country then.

I, on the other hand, respect his own choice rather than view it as he is obligated to please the fans by doing something he doesn't want to.

Old
04-24-2008, 02:32 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Well, how would one react if Jari Litmanen, or Sami Hyypia just "decided" that they didn't feel like suiting up for Finland in Euro-Cup qualifying.

I think the only way these guys represent Finland is when they suit up for the national team(s). When they don't, then fans get let down and they no longer represent anything but their own selfish ambitions.

Old
04-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Well, how would one react if Jari Litmanen, or Sami Hyypia just "decided" that they didn't feel like suiting up for Finland in Euro-Cup qualifying.

I think the only way these guys represent Finland is when they suit up for the national team(s). When they don't, then fans get let down and they no longer represent anything but their own selfish ambitions.
1. Euro-Cup isn't a B class tournament.

2. If Litmanen and Hyypia didn't care about Euro-Cup, the sure, they'd have every right to refuse to play. That would be their own personal choice, not ours.

And didn't Antti Niemi retire from the National Team a couple years ago? Do you find that disrespectful and selfish?

Old
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
1. Euro-Cup isn't a B class tournament.

2. If Litmanen and Hyypia didn't care about Euro-Cup, the sure, they'd have every right to refuse to play. That would be their own personal choice, not ours.

And didn't Antti Niemi retire from the National Team a couple years ago? Do you find that disrespectful and selfish?
No, I never said that people don't have the right to refuse, of course they do. Finland is a free country. They will still get judged on their decisions though, by the fans and people around them.

Antti Niemi played from 1992-2005 and represented his country well. He made a decision to retire, and that has to be respected.

Kipper is not at retirement age, and has only appeared for Finland in one tournament as far as I remember (which co-incidentally was his last one to date).

To an outsider it appears that Miikka was obviously upset by something that happened in relation to the World Cup in 2004, and that is why he declines to play to this date. Whatever it was, he should have the mental fortitude to get over it and move on.

Even Nikolai Khabibulin finally got over his alleged mistreatment and returned to represent HIS country.

Old
04-24-2008, 04:28 PM
illone84

I think what Finska is trying to say is that "Kipper" disses Finland and his Finnish supporters not because he doesnt play for Finland, its because he doesnt let the public know why? Im not saying he has to, but when he doesnt even answer Kurri's phone calls then thats a big diss to Jari Kurri and IMO Finnish fans as well.
I understand that his NHL team was/is more important to him thats why he didnt play in the olympics in case of an injury, (he respects Calgary more- because Sutter and Calgary gave him a chance to become one of the best goalies in the world-which was obviously his dream)- However, When you ignore the calls of the GM of Finland's national team, people start to speculate and ask questions why? Then they jump to conclusions that hes an @$$hole etc, He doesn't care about Finland bla bla bla,
My point of view is that he should show some respect for Kurri & Finland and atleast answer the phone call and say "Yes" or "No" to the "B" class tournament.

And even better, if the rumour is true, then he should tell the media that he doesnt play for Finland because he has problems with the management aka Kurri.

Old
04-25-2008, 03:08 AM
QueenNothing

1. What I've read and heard about Kipper, he answers phonecalls VERY rarely. A reporter who wanted to interwiev him had to call 18 times in two weeks, before he bothered to answer. Two years ago his teammates in Calgary forced him to get a cell and I would quess he uses it like me: phone almost never open. It's a part of personality, just like that cellphone addiction which just is "a bit" more common.

[speculation]
2. Which one do you think helps team Finland more, fans and media dissing one person for not playing for Finland, a person who has never given a ***** about what rest of the world thinks, or Kipper saying 'No' to invitation and telling - if the rumors are true - to media everyting that is going on behind the scenes in our beloved national team, then getting Kummola's wrath and fans loathing until some other player opens his mouth and tells 'quess what, Kipper gave you a short and pretty much cleaned up version of what is going on...' ? Media would make their living for years from something like that.

When Kipper came to play in World Cup, it was like he had come to see, if anything had changed and if the team would now be worth of time and trouble to play in. Seems like it wasn't and Kipper made his own choise, letting rest of the players make theirs.
[/speculation]

In Finnish sports problems are wiped under the carpet and sportsmen deal with the situation because everyone else does. It goes on and on, until someone - usually bit more of an individual, than most - desides not to go rock climbing just to get over the said carpet and desides it is time to clean up the mess. Unfortunately it rarely causes anything else than said person to fall out of national teams and such. Split up, there is nothing more to see about! Team now includes only players, who won't cause problems to team management. Everything is under control.

(sorry the slight off-topic at the end of the post)

QueenNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 03:28 AM
Jeepers Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenNothing View Post
1. What I've read and heard about Kipper, he answers phonecalls VERY rarely. A reporter who wanted to interwiev him had to call 18 times in two weeks, before he bothered to answer. Two years ago his teammates in Calgary forced him to get a cell and I would quess he uses it like me: phone almost never open. It's a part of personality, just like that cellphone addiction which just is "a bit" more common.
Not to mention Kipper informed through his agent that he wasn't interested in playing in WHC. That way he probably wanted only to focus on Playoffs instead of whether or not playing for Finland.

Old
05-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Finnpin

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1527726

Some new stuff in Kipper national team case. Could be true that Calgary have made an accurate contract where Kipper can't join the National Team.

The assurances could even kill the WHC in general.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote