HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Decisions for Kevin Lowe

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Yes the Oilers have needs but that doesn't mean other teams are just going to jump and meet them?

The Oilers needs aren't small either, so it is not going to be easy to make that kind of deal.

It is easy to jump on Weinrich for a 5th round pick and say, see wasn't that easy.

ALL we want is a first line impact centre and a really good PP quarterback. These are not easy holes and to be honest I don't even know if that is even available but Lowe has to try.

I am sure the Smyth and Smith for prospects and younger players is more available but Lowe is looking for help for the playoff drive.
We have to be realistic here. With the way the season has gone, are you comfortable with doing nothing? I am not. Something needed to be done, and as of yet, nothing has happened. I even endorsed moving a player for a pick, just to shake up the room. But our lackadaisical team, and our lackadaisical GM has the exact type of year he created. I like Lowe but sometimes doing nothing is the worst decision.

Old
02-10-2004, 12:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
We have to be realistic here. With the way the season has gone, are you comfortable with doing nothing? I am not. Something needed to be done, and as of yet, nothing has happened. I even endorsed moving a player for a pick, just to shake up the room. But our lackadaisical team, and our lackadaisical GM has the exact type of year he created. I like Lowe but sometimes doing nothing is the worst decision.
We differ here. I don't think you make a move just to say we made one.

Lowe did make a move to fill a hole already, Ulanov fit a hole. It wasn't a trade but it was a move that helped the team.

He also signed Oates, Oates hasn't had the same effect as Ulanov but did help is an area that was terrible faceoffs. I am sure Lowe had hoped it would do more but it did not, so he still has a huge hole at centre.

So moves have been made, they just weren't trades.

So to say NOTHING has happened is just not correct and I believe Lowe will make a move or more but there are a lot of teams that have not made moves yet and typically the trade system starts at or after the GM's meet.

A wrong move just to "shake up the room" could be more detrimental than not making a move at all. Lowe has filled some holes this season but the holes he needs to fill now are a little bigger than "shaking up the room"

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-10-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
How about?

Yanic Perreault + Andrei Markov + 1st Round Pick

for

Ryan Smyth + 3rd Round Pick

Old
02-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Matts

Stop trying to dump Perrault

and his money on us

Garon PLUS Kommisarek or Higgins depending on what the Oilers get for Smith if at all.

The Oilers need a centre and a goalie

Old
02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
oilswell

When is the best time to trade to fill those holes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
He has to gather up his trading chips, Jason Smith, whatever winger he wants to let go of (Smyth-Dvorak-Isbister), Cross or Ulanov, maybe Chimera, maybe Rita, maybe the Flyers' #1, and get:

1. a center for his team.
2. a powerplay quarterback.
3. a goalie who can give Conklin some relief this season and the next one played.
Interesting analysis and I always enjoy hearing your recountings of history. I'm not sure how powerful the analogy to the NYR situation was since, for instance, NYR gave up some pretty good talent for exactly one cup. Future for now. I guess the analogy you're using is kind of the reverse? Ie to give up some pretty good established players to a contender willing to sacrifice some future in the form of a couple of top prospects?

I think that's definitely a target Lowe should be setting for himself. Of all the potential contenders, there should be a couple of good prospects somewhere that will help complete and balance the team of the future. Of these, some team will be wiling to overpay to complete their playoff team. Lowe's goal should be to identify such players and put together a good enough veteran package. Assuming, of course, at the deadline the Oilers won't have gained enough ground to be playoff threats.

One question I still have is: when is best to make your moves? I don't know the answer to this and would love to hear others' opinions. There seems to be at least four solid possibilities:
  1. At the trade deadline. This will be the last cup run on the current CBA and some teams may be willing to give up a great young player or prospect if they think its important enough. The only question is whether any team needs what Lowe would offer and if they have a prospect or player of the right type. Actually, I think this is a serious problem and we might see only a smaller deadline deal from the Oilers this year. Last year they moved their top scorer and #1 defenseman.
  2. At the draft. A few players might be reasonable sweeteners for exchanging picks. For arguments sake say someone thinks Smith might look good in Florida. They have a lot of great young guys and might not mind as much giving up the pick, so something like that might work better than dealing Smith at the deadline if the returns are going to be marginal anyway. I find it highly unlikely that a guy like Smith or even Smyth would help land a franchise player at the trade deadline, but they might allow the Oilers to move high enough to draft such a player.
  3. At the second draft after the lockout season. Not saying it will happen, but gives pause for thought.
  4. After the CBA sets luxury taxes or a cap. At this point teams are going to want to get cheaper even if they have to downgrade their lineup or give away some of their future. This might be a good time to deal players like Horcoff who could be considered cheaper replacements. Sadly, our only hope with guys like Isbister is that they either blossom or their salary gets corrected by the new CBA.

At first glance it might seem obvious that the trade deadline is the best time to put together all your chips and make the trades. However....?

Old
02-10-2004, 01:27 PM
Shizuka

Good posts guys, though I have to admit I do not see the likes of Smyth or Brewer moving until the deadline or until it becomes evident that we are definitely not going to make up the points to move into contention. We're in such a bind to try and make the playoffs as it is, and as spaz44 said, it may be more of a momentum killer to toss out leaders in the room just for the sake of change. That would really hurt the cohesiveness of the team and it would say alot about the management's confidence (or lack thereof, more appropriately) in the lineup's current iteration, thus killing whatever momentum we might have been building.

I will be expecting a major reshuffle of said veteran players, however, provided we do not make the playoffs. Smyth is a clutch guy in the post season, and Smith is another guy who brings his game during that time as well. Those are both commodities that I am sure more than a few teams will be pursuing vigourously, if we're eliminated early. I think Staios is also a free agent (is he going to hit UFA at the end of this season?).

Big areas that need assessment and addressing:

1). goalie. I'm sorry, but to me Conklin is still not a proven starter, and yes I do realize it's his first full season. Salo is too rich for Oiler budgetary contraints, given his overall poor performance this season. If they move / excise Salo from the organization they need someone to either step in as #1 stopgap or at least a solid veteran whom you can swap for Conklin when he needs a rest or is on a poor streak.

2). The elusive first line centre. York's ability is not in question but he is being worked to death; with his smaller stature it's probably not helping that teams key in on him as our top guy, and take the body to him fiercely. Yup, we need size, and we need skill. Those are unfortunately in short supply and great demand. Good luck GM Lowe...

I also believe our defense needs shoring up, but honestly how are you going to land an offensive puck moving PP guy without subtracting a valuable contributor elsewhere? Any combination of Smyth/Smith/Staios moving is going to hurt the team, and hurt chemistry. So, Lowe can hang in and straddle the fence a bit and hope we scrape by, or cut his losses and throw the towel in (don't think he's going to do that). Nothing available in our price range, sorry. You'd end up having to move Brewer or another young guy to get a good rushing D-man. Forget it, I'd be more content to wait it out on this. We have decent potential from the D (Semenov's cannon, Brewer can lug the puck pretty well too, and MA Bergeron should he ever get other aspects of his game settled down).

At centre, I think Jokinen is a great example of what we need; size, skill, and good faceoff numbers. The problem is his headspace, he's a streaky player and he's basically had one good year. I also don't see how Smyth/Smith would fit into a rebuilding FLA team? Well ok, Smith would lend a steadying influence and vet presence, but would he want to go to a team that is still trying to get out of a rebuilding mode? I don't think Dudley will move the likes of Weiss, particularly since he's a Dudley draftee who probably didn't get the right development time under Keenan. Jokinen is more attainable, since he was a Keenan protege. Jokinen makes $2.0m, which is a bit steep but still relatively affordable. Beyond him, though, I have a tough time envisioning any other big, relatively affordable, skilled top line centre being available.

Back to the defence issue: we are potentially going to lose Cross / Staios / Smith anyways, since contracts are up. Ulanov would need to be resigned as well, although I am hoping he sees the good of staying here and sticks around unlike last time when he bolted for the Rangers. Those are 4 veteran players, and we could lose any combination of them. Is someone from the farm ready to step up? I'm not really confident there is someone ready to step in, with the exception of Bergeron (again, provided he polishes certain aspects). That is still a weak back end. Do we end up flipping Smyth for a D-man then? If we are going to lose him, I'd rather see him moved for that centre quite frankly.

And as a last point here, the murky future of the NHL and fallout from the CBA talks will certainly have an impact on any future moves by Lowe and company. I have no idea where that is going to go, but both sides are digging in and it is not an encouraging omen for the fans. Boy does Lowe have alot on his plate...

Old
02-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Seachd

I don't think this team is one UFA d-man from making noise in the playoffs.

I'm actually surprisingly content to wait until the trade deadline and see where they are then. In the playoffs, maybe grab a guy or two who might be able to help, without hurting the current roster. Out of the playoffs - bye to Oates, Smith, Chimera or whatever to get some more (yes, I'm all for it) good young blood in the system.

So the way I see it, Lowe isn't helping by doing nothing, but he's not hurting it much either. I'm sure he's got a plan, and we all know he isn't afraid to make trades. I don't like the idea of giving up the farm for an outside shot at the playoffs, or even the idea of giving up nothing for someone who undoubtedly won't get us anywhere.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
barto

Shizuka...

...good post! Just to clarify, though - Staios signed a multi-year deal with the Oilers back near the start of the season, so he's under contract for this year and two more, I believe (or is it three more?).

I agree Lowe should be trying to resign Ulanov for some decent money - he could be a kind-of replacement for Smith who may not be as keen to sign a Staios-like contract to keep him here (and relatively affordable) long-term. Smith is eligible for arbitration again this summer, so Lowe might want to avoid that one again.

And I suspect that Smith's value will never be higher than it is now, with teams maybe loading up for one last shot at the Cup before the looming labour strife that could last a year or two! Either way, though, Gator might be too old to be a significant factor in a surging Oilers team 2-4 years down the road.

Or trade him now, then try to re-sign him after the new CBA is finally in place...?

I don't see Brewer going anywhere unless it's a stunning offer by someone, and that doesn't seem likely. Smyth probably stays put as well, at least partly out of loyalty to him signing a longer-term deal last summer to avoid arbitration.

I also think Woywitka could land a full-time spot on the back-end next year - he was the last cut at Philly's camp this past season. Lynch looks to be nearly ready to make the jump as well, and then there's Bergeron, Luoma, and (at some point) Greene. And what about Bobby Allen?

Anyway, defence looks to be reasonably solid, although unspectacular without that offensive-minded d-man. We have a plethora of wingers, but obviously weaker at center...and I agree with you about the goalie position as well. Conks could platoon with someone, but I don't know that he's ready to be a #1 guy on his own yet.

Bart

Old
02-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
To add, Cross is also under contract. He signed a 3-year contract.

02-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Shizuka

I'm off on two D-men?? Thanks Barto and Hemsky83, I'm obviously not paying attention when they announce contract signings. I could have sworn I read Staios was nearing the end of his contract but my mistake. Nonetheless, I'm still leery of tossing Smith / Smyth out, seeing as the ideal situation would be for us to gasp into the playoffs this year. And as much heat as Smyth has taken lately (deservedly so, mind you) his contract signing for less money and longer term says a great deal about his mindset regarding the organization. He likes it here, and that's pretty rare for an NHL player these days.

Smith is the captain, and unfortunately it might cut the emotional legs out from the team to trade him away. If we hadn't put ourselves into the hole with that dismal December and weak January run, there wouldn't be so much pressure on Lowe to do something. Ulanov was an excellent signing, and yes he could be a replacement for Smith. He will not eat Smith's minutes alone however, he is 34. There is enough there to ice a capable D core, if not a particularly dangerous group. I still feel weakness at centre takes the prize as our most glaring weakness, as goalies appear to be an even more precious commodity than big, skilled centres and we are not likely going to land a proper starter (which would necessitate an immediate move of Salo, or Conklin, which I also can't see Lowe doing or having the capability to do).

This MTL - EDM rumour mongering has some legs, but Lowe's next move will be for immediate returns as I don't think fans could stomach another "future returns" scenario unless we were positively eliminated from the playoffs. If he is floating the idea of letting Smyth / Smith go while we still have an outside shot at playoffs, it can't be for fringe guys or up and comers.

Old
02-10-2004, 02:38 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Heard Rob Blake just broke his leg and will be out indefinitely...with legs breaks, its hard to tell whether or not he'll be available for the playoffs. Since the Avs are a contender, think they'd be interested in someone like Jason Smith?

I'm not good at trade proposals, but would something like Skoula + Budaj + 2nd work? Skoula could be a top four for us, and Budaj could give us another goaltender in the system.

Old
02-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Slats432

Quote:
We differ here. I don't think you make a move just to say we made one.

Lowe did make a move to fill a hole already, Ulanov fit a hole. It wasn't a trade but it was a move that helped the team.

He also signed Oates, Oates hasn't had the same effect as Ulanov but did help is an area that was terrible faceoffs. I am sure Lowe had hoped it would do more but it did not, so he still has a huge hole at centre.

So moves have been made, they just weren't trades.

So to say NOTHING has happened is just not correct and I believe Lowe will make a move or more but there are a lot of teams that have not made moves yet and typically the trade system starts at or after the GM's meet.

A wrong move just to "shake up the room" could be more detrimental than not making a move at all. Lowe has filled some holes this season but the holes he needs to fill now are a little bigger than "shaking up the room"
Each move does something. The dynamics in the room are faulty because the team continuous had come out flat for games like Tampa and Nashville. Sometimes the players need a jolt to wake them up, or we could have fired MacT, neither of which happened.

We stayed the course to 12th. Since we didn't make any moves to shake the team out of the funk, the playoffs are becoming an extreme unlikelyhood. I don't like our chances and the inability of our GM to do anything when a deal like Chimera(or insert any player here) for a pick, etc etc could possibly have done wonders for the mentality of a team that had lost its way about a month ago.

A wrong move to shake up the room would be better than not doing anything and sliding into oblivion. That is one thing I truly admire about Bobby Clarke (And yes I know our perameters as Edmonton are different.). If he needs to make a move, he makes it. If it has to be done, he does it. His constant pursuit of excellence and the willingness to change his personnel to do it is something I applaud.

This team needed something. It didn't get anything.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:36 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Each move does something. The dynamics in the room are faulty because the team continuous had come out flat for games like Tampa and Nashville. Sometimes the players need a jolt to wake them up, or we could have fired MacT, neither of which happened.

We stayed the course to 12th. Since we didn't make any moves to shake the team out of the funk, the playoffs are becoming an extreme unlikelyhood. I don't like our chances and the inability of our GM to do anything when a deal like Chimera(or insert any player here) for a pick, etc etc could possibly have done wonders for the mentality of a team that had lost its way about a month ago.

A wrong move to shake up the room would be better than not doing anything and sliding into oblivion. That is one thing I truly admire about Bobby Clarke (And yes I know our perameters as Edmonton are different.). If he needs to make a move, he makes it. If it has to be done, he does it. His constant pursuit of excellence and the willingness to change his personnel to do it is something I applaud.

This team needed something. It didn't get anything.
"A wrong move to shake up the dressing room would be better than no move at all"

What kind of ridiculous statement is that. So you believe we should make a move that will make us worse or sacrifice our future, just so we can say we made a move?

And why do you continue to ignore the signings of both ULanov and Oates, how is this staying the course?

You really can't say they were bad moves because according to you any move is a good one as long as he does something.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Heard Rob Blake just broke his leg and will be out indefinitely...with legs breaks, its hard to tell whether or not he'll be available for the playoffs. Since the Avs are a contender, think they'd be interested in someone like Jason Smith?

I'm not good at trade proposals, but would something like Skoula + Budaj + 2nd work? Skoula could be a top four for us, and Budaj could give us another goaltender in the system.
I think the odds of Gonchar becoming an Av now are a lot more likely than Smith becoming one.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Funkymoses

Quote:

what about JM Liles? he's got 17 points this year and jumped directly from Michigan State to the Avs blueline. He's a bit small but we can cover him with Semenov, Brewer, Cross, et al. He led MSU in points last year as a D... he could be a very effective PP QB.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:18 PM
Slats432

Quote:
"A wrong move to shake up the dressing room would be better than no move at all"

What kind of ridiculous statement is that. So you believe we should make a move that will make us worse or sacrifice our future, just so we can say we made a move?

And why do you continue to ignore the signings of both ULanov and Oates, how is this staying the course?

You really can't say they were bad moves because according to you any move is a good one as long as he does something.
If you are saying that the statement is ridiculous, then you are missing the point. You don't know when you are making the move whether it is a good move or a bad move. If a move works out, you are a genious. If it doesn't at least you tried. I agreed that Oates was a good move at the time. And I also thought in the middle of the slump, the Oilers needed to do more which they haven't done.

I think the Ulanov move was great, and if the team isn't performing, you have to still try to improve, or Lowe must have subscribed to the "Tank theory" that so many seem to endorse.

Tell you what, I will join Lowetide in the "Who cares what they do because they are a crappy team now and would likely still be crappy after a move so it doesn't matter."

Old
02-10-2004, 04:27 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
If you are saying that the statement is ridiculous, then you are missing the point. You don't know when you are making the move whether it is a good move or a bad move. If a move works out, you are a genious. If it doesn't at least you tried. I agreed that Oates was a good move at the time. And I also thought in the middle of the slump, the Oilers needed to do more which they haven't done.

I think the Ulanov move was great, and if the team isn't performing, you have to still try to improve, or Lowe must have subscribed to the "Tank theory" that so many seem to endorse.

Tell you what, I will join Lowetide in the "Who cares what they do because they are a crappy team now and would likely still be crappy after a move so it doesn't matter."
So what trade would you have made that would have had us fighting for a playoff without sacrificing our future?

I don't think that move was available, or every other team that is in our position would have made those moves.

Yes Phoenix made a move, what about LA, here is an injury prone team. I guess that GM is also lazy?

Atlanta? They are fighting for their lifes and are now embarking on a 7 game road trip. What brilliant move did they make? Another lazy GM.

Minnesota? Another lazy GM.

Anaheim, man they were in the fight till just a few games ago. Why didn't that GM make this brilliant move. Wow there are a lot of lazy GMs.

OR maybe that brilliant move to catipult the Oilers and these other teams wasn't there?

It is nice to be an armchair quarterback and say "Lowe just make a move, you lazy SOB. But why aren't the other GM's making those moves if they are so readily available?

Yes I care but I can see that maybe the trade that is suddenly going to have the Oilers fighting for 8th may not be there and I don't want to sacrifice our future for battle for 8th place.

If every other team had made trades and the Oilers were doing nothing I would join you in your crusade, but from what I see that has not been the case.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 02-10-2004 at 04:32 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Slats432

Quote:
So what trade would you have made that would have had us fighting for a playoff without sacrificing our future?

I don't think that move was available, or every other team that is in our position would have made those moves.

Yes Phoenix made a move, what about LA, here is an injury prone team. I guess that GM is also lazy?

Atlanta? They are fighting for their lifes and are now embarking on a 7 game road trip. What brilliant move did they make? Another lazy GM.

Minnesota? Another lazy GM.

Anaheim, man they were in the fight till just a few games ago. Why didn't that GM make this brilliant move. Wow there are a lot of lazy GMs.

OR maybe that brilliant move to catipult the Oilers and these other teams wasn't there?

It is nice to be an armchair quarterback and say "Lowe just make a move, you lazy SOB. But why aren't the other GM's making those moves if they are so readily available?
Well, first of all, throw out Atlanta and Minnesota the expansion era clubs because they don't have any assets to move.

Throw out Anaheim, they did most of their moves in the summer and continue to tinker with the lineup moving Simpson for Schastlivy.

LA still being in the hunt with losing Allison, Deadmarsh and 6-8 other players at different times means they already have a very good team with bad luck.

The Oiler's excuse has to be....oh, I guess they don't have one.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:38 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Well, first of all, throw out Atlanta and Minnesota the expansion era clubs because they don't have any assets to move.

Throw out Anaheim, they did most of their moves in the summer and continue to tinker with the lineup moving Simpson for Schastlivy.

LA still being in the hunt with losing Allison, Deadmarsh and 6-8 other players at different times means they already have a very good team with bad luck.

Yes and Anaheim's offseason moves have really improved their team, so now we are talking about moves that did nothing to help them? Considering that they are worse than we are. So they are now off the hook So they made one move and we have made two. Whew, I am glad they are doing so much better than we are.

Yep, maybe I will excuse LA.

What about Minnesota, Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida. Do you have built in excuses for those GM's too.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Taco Grande

Quote:

I thought the same thing when i heard Blake broke his leg. Smith most likely would be a rental player for them(he's ufa after this year isn't he? edit: if there is a next year) and they wouldn't be giving up too much. Why not Smith straight up for Sauve. We need a backup for next year, and the kid looked very good in both regular season and young guns game.

I'm not convinced about Skoula-- I think he's too soft to play here and the Avs don't trust him with many minutes in the playoffs. (he's a combined -8 in the post season... on COLORADO)

Old
02-10-2004, 04:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Grande
I thought the same thing when i heard Blake broke his leg. Smith most likely would be a rental player for them(he's ufa after this year isn't he?) and they wouldn't be giving up too much. Why not Smith straight up for Sauve. We need a backup for next year, and the kid looked very good in both regular season and young guns game.

I'm not convinced about Skoula-- I think he's too soft to play here and the Avs don't trust him with many minutes in the playoffs. (he's a combined -8 in the post season... on COLORADO)
No, Smith is not an UFA after this season.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Taco Grande

Quote:
No, Smith is not an UFA after this season.
Because 2004 - 1973 = 31. Not to mention Smith and Lowe have been going back and forth with one year contracts for a few seasons now.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

Bullcrap. Who says Atlanta and Minnesota don't have assets to move? Atlanta has a bevy of young talent including the often mentioned Patrik Stefan. They also have three goalies (Nurminen, Dafoe, Hurme - who's out with a bad back) and Kari Lehtonen in the wings. As for Minnesota, they picked up Jason Wiemer on waivers, but a number of teams were said to be interested in him. Manny Fernandez's value is certainly rising and a number of teams may be interested in picking up solid veterans like Wes Walz, Jimmy Dowd, and they have a solid group of defenseman who could interest a number of teams. I think you're really selling short these franchises.

Its looks more and more like your argument is coming down to the Scapegoat Fan syndrome - need to blame someone, so let's blame Lowe. What "Brilliant" GM move would you have done? Pick up Lecavalier? Why not Forsberg? They would certainly answer the centre hold that the Oil have. I can't believe Lowe didn't get these guys... geeez.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Grande
Because 2004 - 1973 = 31. Not to mention Smith and Lowe have been going back and forth with one year contracts for a few seasons now.
OGE mentioned this in another thread, I'll regurgitate:

July 1st is the cutoff date for UFA status, since Smith was born in November he missed it by a few months...thus he won't be a UFA until the following year barring any changes to that rule in the CBA.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:56 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Yes and Anaheim's offseason moves have really improved their team, so now we are talking about moves that did nothing to help them? Considering that they are worse than we are. So they are now off the hook So they made one move and we have made two. Whew, I am glad they are doing so much better than we are.

Yep, maybe I will excuse LA.

What about Minnesota, Buffalo, Atlanta, Florida. Do you have built in excuses for those GM's too.
For Minnesota and Atlanta, you should go and reread my post. As expansion franchises they don't have much ability to deplete their resources with short term fixes. They have to develop talent from within to be successful. And right now, I would pay more money to watch the Thrashers than the Oilers and if you see the Oiler's future as bright as having Kovalchuk, Heatley, Lehtonen, Exelby and Coburn, please name their Edmonton Oiler counterparts.

Not every GM is the same, and not every circumstance is the same. But maybe you should ask some of their fans, why they aren't making any moves.

In my opinion, K-Lo has sat too long and let this season become a waste without enough effort into correcting the Oilers problems.

Closed Thread