HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THN Preview: Who Writes This Garbage?

Old
04-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
THN Preview: Who Writes This Garbage?

Seriously, this preview is a joke. When they analyzed the defensive match-up between the Rangers & the Pens, they never mention the Pens D against our forwards, despite giving us the edge in forwards! WTF?

Judge for yourself: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...w-Round-2.html

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

I know everyone wants Sidney Crosby and the Pens to win, but this is ridiculous. These analysts are moronic.

Quote:
Defense
Defense is a team concept with the Rangers, who are the last bastion of boring hockey remaining in this year’s playoffs. Their defense corps has turned out to be far better than originally advertised and the top tandem of Michal Rozsival and Marc Staal will have to be at their best to shut down the Penguins forwards. Edge: Pittsburgh

Goaltending
A case could be made that Fleury was the best goalie for the entire first round and appears to have shed his reputation as a goalie who cannot be counted upon in the clutch. Henrik Lundqvist was good for the Rangers, but was not forced to be great in the first round. He’ll have to be at the top of his game against the Penguins, who averaged 40.2 shots per game in the first round. Edge: Pittsburgh
The bolded means you know this guy doesn't watch the Rangers.

Yes, the Penguins have a better offense. Nobody will argue that.

But DEFENSE and GOALTENDING? Read the fine print pal and watch the games. We are clearly better in both.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
thesnake

Fleury has a decent week against a team in a downward spiral and he's better than Hank??

thesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Keep them coming! This is bulletin board material for the locker room.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

THN is typically bad with this stuff.

How anyone in their mind can say Fluery is a better goaltender then Lundqvist is delusional.

They faced the plagued-by-injury Senetors that were without most of their top players, and they're giving edge to Fluery because he had to face probably the worst team in the East going into the playoffs...

And the Rangers had to face a Vezina finalist. And one of the better defensive teams in the game... not to mention a HIGHER seeded team.

THN definitely does not do their homework. I notice they're way off base with a lot of their stuff.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 02:56 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

We're the Underdogs & the Road Warriors, just like the Giants, let them talk all they want.

BTW
Quote:
who are the last bastion of boring hockey remaining in this year’s playoffs
Seems like someone doesn't like the Rangers very much...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
We're the Underdogs & the Road Warriors, just like the Giants, let them talk all they want.

BTW

Seems like someone doesn't like the Rangers very much...
THN either ignores the Rangers completely, or they bash them relentlessly.

I know, because i subscribe.

Only rarely... like at the beginning of the year do they have anything positive to say about the Rangers. They're still under the impression that the Rangers have some sort of advantage financially and that we are not subject to the same salary cap as everyone else.

This WHOLE season, i can only remember a couple of times that we were mentioned in a positive manner in their magazine.

Oh well, let all these idiots say what they want. Unfortunately for them hockey is not played on paper.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherapanov View Post
I know everyone wants Sidney Crosby and the Pens to win, but this is ridiculous. These analysts are moronic.

The bolded means you know this guy doesn't watch the Rangers.

Yes, the Penguins have a better offense. Nobody will argue that.

But DEFENSE and GOALTENDING? Read the fine print pal and watch the games. We are clearly better in both.

fluery is better than henke....

and connor james is better than brandon dubinsky, and maxin talbot is better than scott gomez

see maybe i can write for THN also

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
THN either ignores the Rangers completely, or they bash them relentlessly.

I know, because i subscribe.

Only rarely... like at the beginning of the year do they have anything positive to say about the Rangers. They're still under the impression that the Rangers have some sort of advantage financially and that we are not subject to the same salary cap as everyone else.

This WHOLE season, i can only remember a couple of times that we were mentioned in a positive manner in their magazine.

Oh well, let all these idiots say what they want. Unfortunately for them hockey is not played on paper.

the only time they have anything positive is in season preview, (i used to subscribe but not worth it)

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Did they mention that Pittsburgh had a bye in the first round?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Nich

goaltending edge to pitt? seriously, thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard.....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:22 PM
clmetsfan

I can't get past this part:

Quote:
A case could be made that Fleury was the best goalie for the entire first round and appears to have shed his reputation as a goalie who cannot be counted upon in the clutch. Henrik Lundqvist was good for the Rangers, but was not forced to be great in the first round.
Did he watch any games in the first round?? How could you say that Fleury was tested and Henrik wasn't??

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Smashley

Their goaltending is better than ours. Hardee har harrr....

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:30 PM
John Torturella

Why even bother showing up?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Simple

Fleury = Canadian
Henke = NOT Canadian

Of course that right there in TSN's eyes means Fleury is better.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Did they mention that Pittsburgh had a bye in the first round?
lmfao.

what a brutal preview.

Guess thats the last time I even bother glancing at a THN... thats just ludicrous.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Simple

Fleury = Canadian
Henke = NOT Canadian

Of course that right there in TSN's eyes means Fleury is better.
they also said that

Biron>Price
Turco>Nabokov (ie the person who will probably win the Vezina)

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 03:45 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This to me sums up the Pens first round victory.

On January 12, Ottawa was 1st in the East with a 29-10-4 record.
On April 4, Ottawa was 7th in the East with a 43-31-8 record.
That means in their last 39 games, Ottawa went 14-21-4.

Drawing Ottawa this year was even better than drawing Atlanta last year.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:03 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Heres my preview if anyone cares to read it all.

Against Pittsburgh this season:

8 GP - 5-3-0 - 21 GF, 16 GA

First half the Rangers were 3-1-0 with 12 GF and 6 GA
Second half the Rangers were 2-2-0 with 9 GF and 10 GA.

Edges -

Offense - Both teams have good depth, but with the potent powerplay and the the extremely dangerous front line i think the edge goes to the Pens. They have so many skill weapons. The Rangers will have to get the Penguins to play their game instead of getting into a track meet, possession and defensive responsibility will play a large role for both sets of forwards

Edge - Penguins

Faceoffs - I want to make this a separate category because I think it will be crucial at times in this series, especially the defensive zone draws. Down the middle Crosby is by far the Pens best faceoff man with a decent 51-52% rate. Staal is nothing to write home about with a 42% for the season and Malik in terrible with a sub 40% rating for the season and even worse in this years playoffs at 34.1%.

With the Rangers having 4 outstanding faceoff men, all over 50% - even though Crosby will be out there for all the big ones, if any of the 4 Ranger centers can get hot against him they could be purely dominant in the circle. Either way, expect the Rangers to do damage in this category.

Edge - Rangers

Defense - Pittsburgh put together some pretty impressive defensive numbers this year very quietly, but I give the edge here to the Rangers, especially coming off a tight Devils series. But there is work to be done for the Blueshirts if they want to shut down the Pens lineup. Much work.

Edge - Rangers

Coaching - Not a ton of experience on either side. Renney surprisingly has shown good matchup ability against the Pens, but who knows how effective the newly formed 4th line will be, or how much ice time they actually will get, especially if they are down in games. Will be interesting to see how Therrien combats Jagrs line and Avery. His decisions can really make or break how the games will be played.

Edge- Push

Special Teams - Rangers have a great PK, Pittsburgh has a great PP. Its how each team will fare in their weaker of the two, both towards the bottom of the league in PP and PK respectively. That was the regular season - amazingly - both reversed with the Rangers garnering a better PP % in the playoffs, and the recent rise of the Penguins kill has them 2nd in the playoffs - The Rangers will have to stay out of the box, there's no two ways about it.

Edge- Push

Goaltending - Fluery has been hot of late, and Henrik has been well... Henrik. Any Hockey fan can tell you that the edge should go to the 3 time Vezina nominee... and it does - but the Rangers will have to get on Fluery early and often and be sure to give him just as many problems as they gave Brodeur. Fluery has come abck and changed his style to a more reactive goalie instead of challenging shooters as much as he used to (Remind you of someone?) Therefore, both goaltenders will have to watch up high in this series because there are more skilled players around them that can put the puck under the bar instead of over it.

Edge - Rangers

Key Matchups:

Pens D/Jagr - Jagr has always had trouble against Hal Gill and has himself admitted that Gill is not an easy matchup for him. A lot rides on the success of Jagr for the Rangers and he's come into the series hot, with 8 points in the first 5 games of the playoffs.

An interesting note is that Gill is 10th on the Penguins in TOI/G playing about 16 and half minutes per tilt. Gonchar, Orpik, Whitney, Letang and Scuderi have all gotten more ice time, so will we even see this matchup? Jagr averaged over 19 minutes per game and that was with a ton of penalty kills. When Jagr's line finds themselves out there against Whitney's pair, damage could be done.

Therefore the Gonchar - Orpik pair will most likely be the desired matchup for the Penguins. Gill provides more depth there, but i dont think the early estimations of the Gill/Jagr matchup will present itself as much as we might have thought.

Avery/Ruutu, Laraque, Roberts - Some would think it should read Avery/Fluery or Avery/Crosby, Malkin, Hossa. But i see those as a given in the series. Seeing how successful Avery was in the first round, you can bet your ass he'll be out for more in the semifinals.

My concern is how the Penguins will combat that. We all know that Roberts and Avery have had their run-ins, with Avery getting the best of Roberts on a few occasions. But will Laraque and Ruutu be concerned about Avery too, or will they ignore him to try and be pests themselves? You could even throw Orpik into this category. Whatever the case may be, expect another couple of Rangers to get under the skin of the Penguins to further spread the annoyance. Ryan Callahan and Brandon Dubinsky. Discipline is going to reign supreme in this category.

Systems:

For the Rangers, this series is going to be like walking a tightrope.

They'll want to dictate the flow of play and possession, but they don't want to get into a track meet with the highly explosive Penguin offense. Keeping the forecheck going while playing a solid transition game is a huge key for them in this series.

They'll want to play close attention to detail in the defensive zone, give Lundqvist clear views to the puck, but they can't play passive to the point where their offense suffers and the Penguins dominate the possession game and flow.

There's a very fine line between these two and the Rangers will have to play an almost perfectly consistent game to come out on top. Games like 1 and 2 vs. the Devils and the 3rd period in game 5 will not be enough against the Pens. The Rangers bent but did not break. It won't be that forgiving against Pittsburgh.

Any penalty at any time could make the difference in winning or losing a game due to the Pens powerplay, but playing tough will be essential to stop the young guns. Battling the officials will be a huge task for both teams, but it could prove more costly for the Rangers if they continue to take trips to the sin bin.

Experience and Resolve are going to be at the forefront if this Rangers squad wants to advance. Not only will they need contributions from the youth but the veterans who've won a total of 8 cups. The Pens will have to grow up in a hurry with only 4 rings to their roster, and fight the balance of overconfidence and reserved enthusiasm.

There's an interesting parallel between the recent Rangers and Penguins teams

In 06 the Rangers were swept by the Devils and then in 07 put the Thrashers under the rug themselves. To their own admission, they were too loose and overconfident to a point against the more seasoned Sabres who ousted them last season in the semifinals.

Last season the younger Penguins were sept in the first round, but came full circle jsut as the Rangers did, sweeping this years first round with ease. Will a mostly inexperienced roster be full of themselves as the Rangers were going into their first semifinal against a more seasoned, humbled team?

Only time will tell.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 04-23-2008 at 04:09 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Nice preview, HBNYC!

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:15 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Nice writeup man way more in depth and in detail than TSN's. Well done! Should be an interesting series either way!

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
well we would be as well not showing up.

fleury better than hank just makes me angry that they cant even aknowledge one of the best goaltenders in the league.

i didnt read the article simply because in the first post when i saw that fleury was the better goalie i knew the rest was full of ****.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 04:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

whatever, I don't mind being the underdog

bring em on

04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Defense
Defense is a team concept with the Rangers, who are the last bastion of boring hockey remaining in this year’s playoffs. Their defense corps has turned out to be far better than originally advertised and the top tandem of Michal Rozsival and Marc Staal will have to be at their best to shut down the Penguins forwards. Edge: Pittsburgh

Goaltending
A case could be made that Fleury was the best goalie for the entire first round and appears to have shed his reputation as a goalie who cannot be counted upon in the clutch. Henrik Lundqvist was good for the Rangers, but was not forced to be great in the first round. He’ll have to be at the top of his game against the Penguins, who averaged 40.2 shots per game in the first round. Edge: Pittsburgh

peanutbuttacallytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 05:35 PM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

How embarassing to give Fleury the "edge" over Lundqvist. Just embarassing. That's all I can say about it.

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote