HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor: MacLean interested in returning to Panthers as head coach

Old
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
My complaint with Martin is he hasn't proven anything in the new NHL. Just as some once-heralded players (Derian Hatcher) are useless now more or less since the game has changed, Martin never proved he could adapt. MacLean hasn't done anything in the new NHL either, so if I had that complaint with Martin, I sure as hell have the same concern with MacLean. I'd rather see a younger guy with some fire, that our players can relate to, since so many of them are young as well.
will you folks PLEASE give this new nhl crap a rest? or at least bring something to the table if you're gonna hang your hat on it? i guess you haven't been watching and haven't noticed that hatcher's still playing a solid role on a team that just beat the capitals. that means he defended the best player in the league and several other very very good players. he made some outstanding defensive plays as well. i'm not saying i'd want him, mind you, just that he's been effective in his role.

and also, martin's coaching record here proves nothing. if we had given him 1-2 more years to see how he'd coach a cohesive roster and things didn't work out, then sure, i'd concede. not at this point.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
will you folks PLEASE give this new nhl crap a rest? or at least bring something to the table if you're gonna hang your hat on it? i guess you haven't been watching and haven't noticed that hatcher's still playing a solid role on a team that just beat the capitals. that means he defended the best player in the league and several other very very good players. he made some outstanding defensive plays as well. i'm not saying i'd want him, mind you, just that he's been effective in his role.

and also, martin's coaching record here proves nothing. if we had given him 1-2 more years to see how he'd coach a cohesive roster and things didn't work out, then sure, i'd concede. not at this point.

OLD NHL = you could clutch and grab, hold people up, stifle the nuetral zone PERFECT FOR A DEFENSIVE SYSTEM i.e. JM

NEW NHL = put your stick parallel get 2 minutes, take hand off stick get 2 minutes

hmmm, wonder why we take so many penalties.....

citing Hatcher is illogical and doesn't help your case.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 11:35 AM
FlaPanthers7

Didn't Maclean go 24-48 as interim coach of the Jackets after he fired the coach? I'd much rather take a shot on a young up and comer than another re-tread. We've already been that route and it didn't work out (Keenan, Martin...how many more???)

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Just shows he failed as a GM... His only stint at coaching there was half a season in 2002-2003 when their top goal scorer was Geoff Sanderson and their tenders were Marc Denis and Jean-Francois Labbe.
That team also had Rick Nash. He's been out of coaching for a long time. I think there's a reason for that.

Happy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Girl View Post
That team also had Rick Nash. He's been out of coaching for a long time. I think there's a reason for that.
And Atlanta has Kovalchuk... your point?

The guy wasn't coaching Columbus so you can't judge his coaching w/them..

He had a higher paying/ranking position... That's why he chose it over coaching...

Now that he sees he sucks at it, I don't blame him for wanting to go back to where he's seen success.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Didn't Maclean go 24-48 as interim coach of the Jackets after he fired the coach? I'd much rather take a shot on a young up and comer than another re-tread. We've already been that route and it didn't work out (Keenan, Martin...how many more???)
Yes he was unsuccessful on a team with one good player. He made bad decisions as GM which led to his poor record as coach.

The poor roster is evident by the lack of success of all the other coaches they've had there. (sounds eerily familiar)

Old
04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Madhatter73

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post
OLD NHL = you could clutch and grab, hold people up, stifle the nuetral zone PERFECT FOR A DEFENSIVE SYSTEM i.e. JM

NEW NHL = put your stick parallel get 2 minutes, take hand off stick get 2 minutes

I say we say "screw it!" and play 5 forwards all the time...

Perfect for the "New NHL"!

Old
04-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Crossbar

No thanks on bringing Dougie back as head coach, it was a magical run and I don't think/feel he is capable of doing it again here in Pantherland. Lindy Ruff OTOH, I'd gladly welcome back.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
And Atlanta has Kovalchuk... your point?
Her point was merely to point out that the team had more talent than your original post suggested, and still went nowhere. Try to keep up.

I don't disagree with your point that Columbus' failures only point to his failure as a GM, but it was a pretty bad record over parts of two seasons when he was head coach. He did more with arguably less talent in his first year in Florida. And keep in mind he was coaching (on that other line of discussion here) in the "old NHL" in both cases.

I really don't think McLean is the answer here, but as I said, he'd probably be a good pickup for Rochester if he'd agree to it, but it looks like Fleming will be in line to get that position. So Doug can go to Naples and coach the Everblades He'd probably be really good in that position, but I think there's only about a .00000000000000000000000000000000003543% chance he takes it.

04-26-2008, 02:39 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Interview him, go through the process... I don't see why not if all seems to click.

I will always be PRO MacLean. Who cares what he did in Columbus. I'm not too big on what Hartley did in Atl. and part of his tenure in Col.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 11:31 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfTheHockeyGods View Post

dude, you can play a defensive style without clutching and grabbing. this is not a debatable point. systems are about positioning with respect to your teammates, opponent, the puck and, most importantly, your own goal. after that, it's about the angles your defenders take. dallas played a very passive system (with no obstruction) to perfection last night for most of the 3rd. they forced turnover after turnover and dump-in after dump-in. you could argue that they fell back too early (as keith jones did) but the fact remains, it was very effective at limiting SJ's chances all period until the one breakdown that led to the tying goal. now THAT is a passive defensive posture and it did not resemble anything we've seem from a JM coached team.

wrt to hatcher, you apparently haven't been watching him. he's been playing very effectively, not taking penalties.

Last edited by zeroG: 04-26-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old
04-26-2008, 03:22 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
dude, you can play a defensive style without clutching and grabbing. this is not a debatable point. systems are about positioning with respect to your teammates, opponent, the puck and, most importantly, your own goal. after that, it's about the angles your defenders take. dallas played a very passive system (with no obstruction) to perfection last night for most of the 3rd. they forced turnover after turnover and dump-in after dump-in. you could argue that they fell back too early (as keith jones did) but the fact remains, it was very effective at limiting SJ's chances all period until the one breakdown that led to the tying goal. now THAT is a passive defensive posture and it did not resemble anything we've seem from a JM coached team.

wrt to hatcher, you apparently haven't been watching him. he's been playing very effectively, not taking penalties.
Come on, Hatcher's a joke anyways. FINALLY he's playing decently. Took him long enough to adjust after the lockout. Before the lockout he was one of the top dmen in the NHL everyone though, but the team that signed him for the big money in Detroit got rid of him because they saw changes coming, which is why Detroit is ideal for the new NHL, because they don't have deadweight like him on their roster, rather they have good skaters.

Anyways, sure you need to play defensively, no one is saying to play like Tampa or Carolina's style, but how about some more offensive creativity rather than just sticking to the system. THe only goals this team every seems to score aside from the occasional odd man rush off of a turnover are ones that are banged or bounce in around the crease area, oftentimes very lucky ones. We need to take more advantage of the offensive skills of our players. It's no coincidence that when players come to Florida, their offensive numbers aren't as good as elsewhere (Matt Cullen, Radek Dvorak, and there are more...)

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2008, 08:13 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Come on, Hatcher's a joke anyways. FINALLY he's playing decently. Took him long enough to adjust after the lockout. Before the lockout he was one of the top dmen in the NHL everyone though, but the team that signed him for the big money in Detroit got rid of him because they saw changes coming, which is why Detroit is ideal for the new NHL, because they don't have deadweight like him on their roster, rather they have good skaters.

Anyways, sure you need to play defensively, no one is saying to play like Tampa or Carolina's style, but how about some more offensive creativity rather than just sticking to the system. THe only goals this team every seems to score aside from the occasional odd man rush off of a turnover are ones that are banged or bounce in around the crease area, oftentimes very lucky ones. We need to take more advantage of the offensive skills of our players. It's no coincidence that when players come to Florida, their offensive numbers aren't as good as elsewhere (Matt Cullen, Radek Dvorak, and there are more...)
not what i'm arguing - the fact that he's playing well at all (which you have conceded) in everyone's "new nhl" dispatches the argument made earlier. and, i'll repeat, playing good defense should NOT be equated with clutching and grabbing as some around here have tried to do.

wrt the players you mention - cullen, dvo, etc. what does that have to do with what's going on now? cullen actually produced fairly well here but that was under different coaching. dvo was an 18 year old kid his first go around and ended up playing with some fantastic linemates in ny. he hasn't been able to repeat that production anywhere else. hagman and huselius are the guys i'd point to as they played under JM. however, they were very young, didn't have the depth surrounding them here and also had to deal with keenan. has playing in a defense first organization negatively impacted gionta, gomez, elias, et al in nj? perhaps no, perhaps a bit, but would those guys trade 5 goals more a year for their names on the cup? i don't think so. do they score pretty goals? yes. our problem is we still don't even have an offense as capable and creative as those njd offenses. in short, i disagree - imo, this is NOT the time to turn this roster loose. this group of Fs still has to learn how to play 60 minutes at both ends. in a year or two, with frolik (hopefully) and repik, etc., we can start talking about opening it up a bit.

Old
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
OneOfTheHockeyGods*

Quote:

uhh, I said it was PERFECT. I didn't say it can only be done in the old NHL. Also, you didn't dispute my main point which was pointing out a difference between the old and new nhl.

OneOfTheHockeyGods* is offline   Reply With Quote