HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Garrioch All-Star Exposure (Habs)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2004, 11:40 AM
  #1
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Garrioch All-Star Exposure (Habs)

Hi, just thought I'd bring your attention to another thread that was started elsewhere about the rumours going around in Minny right now.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=50524

Quote:
The word out of Montreal is the Habs might make a pitch to the Oilers for W Ryan Smyth. The asking price will be high.
Before you guys get excited, I'll add another quote....

Quote:
Just like the all-star game – far more sizzle than steak.

Dutchy is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 11:51 AM
  #2
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
I don't want to give up our young guys right now.Ryan Smyth is always injured because of his style of play. We can just wait a couple of months and sign a UFA and take Balej or Hossa to become top 6 forwards.

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 11:59 AM
  #3
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Dealing with Kevin Lowe scares me cuz I think his demands can be extreme. I wouldn't want to give up a lot right now for R. Smith despite how good he is. He does get injured yes. However, I am thinking more about the fact that we are not going to win the Cup....relaistically we won't. The plan was to rebuild around youngsters over the next few years. We just happen to be already ahead of schedule.....that's cool. I would much rather see these young guys learn how to win. If that means losing in the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs this year......so be it. Then......in a few years when the young guys develop into good hockey players, and they learn how to win, Gainey can make a trade for that one player that will help them get to the cup. Right now, this team still doesn't know how to win a cup. They are a playoff team..not a Cup team and Ryan Smith isn't going to change that.....so there is no point in compromising the future. Stick to the plan, and don't get derailed by some premature hope. I will enjoy seeing these young players eventually mature into cup contenders.

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:03 PM
  #4
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
If it weren't for the injuries, I'd be all over Smyth. He's still young and he's exactly what we need. He'll be around for what? 6 more good years of hockey? (barring injuries)

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:06 PM
  #5
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
I know Albino......but the key is....what do you give up for him? And is it worth it at this point?

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:22 PM
  #6
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physical HABuse
I know Albino......but the key is....what do you give up for him? And is it worth it at this point?
Dunno. They're looking for a PP specialist, first name that comes to mind is Markov. I'd be hesitant to do that as the key to building a team is from the net out, IMO. But it's not every day that a team can get a Ryan Smyth. Of course, if Korneev is as good as people say, does Markov become expendable? Do they even play the same type of game?

Maybe Jeff O'Neill would be a safer bet, but he may in fact cost more without the injury problems.

I'm glad I'm not in charge of the Habs I'd never pull the trigger on any deals...

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:26 PM
  #7
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
I would go for O'Neil...I feel he fits better the Habs without all his injury problems.

Some of you say ..wow

Smyth-Koivu-Ryder

but it might be...

Someone-Someone-Ryder because of all the injuries...


I really feel Hainsey will become something special and I would rather he goes West then East....

Why don't we go for Iginla?

Hossa,Hainsey+ something

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:27 PM
  #8
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Dunno. They're looking for a PP specialist, first name that comes to mind is Markov. I'd be hesitant to do that as the key to building a team is from the net out, IMO. But it's not every day that a team can get a Ryan Smyth. Of course, if Korneev is as good as people say, does Markov become expendable? Do they even play the same type of game?

Maybe Jeff O'Neill would be a safer bet, but he may in fact cost more without the injury problems.

I'm glad I'm not in charge of the Habs I'd never pull the trigger on any deals...
Koornev is at least 4 years away from being considered a regular NHLer like Markov .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:28 PM
  #9
Physical HABuse
Registered User
 
Physical HABuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Well......I think both would be expensive at this stage. The point I wanted to make is....should Gainey make a move now and give up on some of the our younsters or wait knowing realistically they won't win the cup this year. Maybe if he makes a move it should be to shore up the bottom 2 lines like getting someone to replace Juneau who's back is ailing. It is what Gainey has been saying all along he would do. The trade to rent a player for a cup run maybe should come a year or two from now when we might be making a more serious run at it. I don't know......I would be curious to see what kind of quality player we would bring to the team now but am content watchign the young guys develop into solid players. Besides, we aren't really gonna win a cup until Kastistyn arrives....right?

Physical HABuse is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:28 PM
  #10
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Koornev is at least 4 years away from being considered a regular NHLer like Markov .
Didn't know he was that far off... Which throws a monkey wrench in it. Then again, everything is a gamble in this game.

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
  #11
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino
Didn't know he was that far off... Which throws a monkey wrench in it. Then again, everything is a gamble in this game.
He is only 19 and guys like Hainsey and Kommy are 22 and 23 and aren't "Full" time yet, so it makes sense to say he is 4 years away. Especially being a Dman.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 12:43 PM
  #12
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan69
I think that we will get rid of Hossa then he will be flipped to Ottawa!
GM's and owners don't go out of their way to re-unite brothers to play with each other.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 01:13 PM
  #13
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
GM's and owners don't go out of their way to re-unite brothers to play with each other.
Unless it's Briank Burke

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 01:21 PM
  #14
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,291
vCash: 500
Smyth's injury past is highly exagerrated. In the last 5 years, he has missed 38 games I think.

The funny thing is, hab fans keep asking for that power forward type player, but do they realize that power forwards are often injured. The healthy power forward doesn't seem to exist. The only one I can think who hasn't had serious injury is Bertuzzi. Nolan, Tkachuk, Roberts, Morrow, Leclair all have had injury troubles. Its simply a part of the PF game you have to live with.

Kirk Muller is online now  
Old
02-08-2004, 01:46 PM
  #15
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
ive been saying this for over a month, if theres one player i dont want the habs to miss its smyth.
he's still quite young and one hell of a player,
imho this is the type of player that BG dreams of getting,

before people get upset for me a habs fan wanting a trade which has become somewhat of a taboo in here, im a huge smyth fan, and honestly think he could improve this team in many aspects,
i live in edmonton and see alote of oil games, smyth is one absolute and etched player, id rather have him here 100x more then o'niell, whos game im not a fan of.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
  #16
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Hi, just thought I'd bring your attention to another thread that was started elsewhere about the rumours going around in Minny right now.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=50524
....

I thought you guys would be interested to know that Stevenson (Ottawa Sun) wrote this morning that Gainey is using Hossa and Hainsey as trade baits...

i don't think that it's enought to get Smyth but may be a part of the deal...

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
  #17
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
ive been saying this for over a month, if theres one player i dont want the habs to miss its smyth.
he's still quite young and one hell of a player,
imho this is the type of player that BG dreams of getting,

before people get upset for me a habs fan wanting a trade which has become somewhat of a taboo in here, im a huge smyth fan, and honestly think he could improve this team in many aspects,
i live in edmonton and see alote of oil games, smyth is one absolute and etched player, id rather have him here 100x more then o'niell, whos game im not a fan of.
i also would like the team to get him ;he has soft hand and would be gerat on the powerplay with Ribeiro and Koivu

1995-1996 Oilers 48 2 9 11
1996-1997 Oilers 82 39 22 61
1997-1998 Oilers 65 20 13 33
1998-1999 Oilers 71 13 18 31
1999-2000 Oilers 82 28 26 54
2000-2001 Oilers 82 31 39 70
2001-2002 Oilers 61 15 35 50
2002-2003 Oilers 66 27 34 61
2003-2004 Oilers 55 15 19 34

NHL Totals 615 190 215 405


Last edited by goalchenyuk: 02-08-2004 at 02:00 PM.
goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 02:02 PM
  #18
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i also would like the team to get him ;he has soft hand and would be gerat on the powerplay with Ribeiro and Koivu
he's just awsome and yeah he would totaly improve the pp unit, his game is stellar pure heart he gets in front of the net and gets punished and wants more! he's a total team player, and with the team we have i know he would excell here.
i hope we get him . but am i dreaming?????

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 02:09 PM
  #19
Traitor8
Registered User
 
Traitor8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Iraq
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
NO!!!!!!

Not for Hainsey and Hossa. He is often injured and he averages only around 50 pts a game which is like Zednik...is Zednik worth Hossa and Hainsey? no!

Keep them and trade them later on...we don't need anybody that big yet...

Traitor8 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 02:18 PM
  #20
Dutchy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Montréal, Québec, Ca
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
Not for Hainsey and Hossa. He is often injured and he averages only around 50 pts a game which is like Zednik...is Zednik worth Hossa and Hainsey? no!
WOW!!! Just imagine, 50 pts/game... Bring him home, please!!!






:p

Dutchy is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 02:26 PM
  #21
Playr050
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Playr050
This is Garrioch. In his next column, we'll be getting Bonk & Smyth in a blockbuster three-way trade.

Playr050 is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 03:21 PM
  #22
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
NO!!!!!!

Not for Hainsey and Hossa. He is often injured and he averages only around 50 pts a game which is like Zednik...is Zednik worth Hossa and Hainsey? no!

Keep them and trade them later on...we don't need anybody that big yet...
komi its not all stats, remember that smyth is a team player, thats been playing with crappy line mates his entire career, ive watched him play since he came into the league, you wouldnt make stat comments if you watched him play.

and trust me his so called injury promlems are overstated.

id give up hossa and 1st for him quite easily

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 04:10 PM
  #23
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
NO!!!!!!

Not for Hainsey and Hossa. He is often injured and he averages only around 50 pts a game which is like Zednik...is Zednik worth Hossa and Hainsey? no!

Keep them and trade them later on...we don't need anybody that big yet...
Smyth is worth more than Zednik and quite honestly if the asking price was "only" Hossa and Hainsey I'd be (and I hope BG too) all over it. Smyth brings much more intangibles to a game than Zednik could ever dream of. Smyth is a good playmaker, has a scoring touch, plays a fearless and reckless game, brings leadership and character, is a clutch performer and is responsible defensively. He makes the opposing goalie's life miserable by crashing the net night in and out. Smyth is a true 1st line LW (unlike Zednik) and considering with who he plays now while still finding a way to produce offensively, I can only dream about what this team would look like with Ryan Smyth playing with Koivu and Ryder. Best Habs line since Recchi left.

Munchausen is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 04:24 PM
  #24
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,030
vCash: 597
The Oilers won't want Hossa...keep in mind LW is their deepest position(Smyth, Torres, Isbister, Moreau, Chimera, Rita, Mikhnov) and that's why(well that and financial reasons) they may deal Smyth. If anything, I see them asking for something like Higgins or Plekanec {a young center they need for next year while MAP and Niinimaki develop} + Hainsey + maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Smyth.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
02-08-2004, 04:42 PM
  #25
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,350
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
The Oilers won't want Hossa...keep in mind LW is their deepest position(Smyth, Torres, Isbister, Moreau, Chimera, Rita, Mikhnov) and that's why(well that and financial reasons) they may deal Smyth. If anything, I see them asking for something like Higgins or Plekanec {a young center they need for next year while MAP and Niinimaki develop} + Hainsey + maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Smyth.
I would't trade Higgins for Smyth 1 on 1 ....

Team_Spirit is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.