HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Best Forward Unit?

View Poll Results: Best Forward Unit?
Philadelphia Flyers 15 15.79%
Toronto Maple Leafs 3 3.16%
Ottawa Senators 30 31.58%
Detroit Red Wings 4 4.21%
Colorado Avalanche 32 33.68%
St. Louis Blues 1 1.05%
Vancouver Canucks 7 7.37%
Boston Bruins 1 1.05%
Dallas Stars 1 1.05%
Other (Say Who) 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2004, 11:27 AM
o-dog

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Douggy]
5. Senators (I'm sorry, but I just don't see the Sens forwards as anywhere near as good as those other teams.)[QUOTE]

Well, that's homerism for you...

Honestly, I won't knock your opinion because you lean towards the Leafs but you're saying that the best offensive team in the league does not have comparable players? Toronto does have a stellar front-line, no question. So break it down positionally instead of by lines:

Ottawa has, without a doubt, the best right side in the NHL. Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat. Toronto is strong here as well with Nolan and Mogilny but Renberg doesn't impress amongst this group.

At centre, TO goes with Sundin, Nieuwendyk, Reichel and Antropov? As a whole, I would say they are marginally better than Ottawa throwing out Spezza, Bonk, White and Fisher (we're talking healthy here so Van Allen doesn't count).

Left side Ottawa has Varada, Schaefer, Smolinski and Vermette/Langfeld. TO has Roberts, Tucker, Ponikarovsky and Stajan. Maybe Fitzgerald, I'm not sure exactly. Roberts is clearly the best of the lot but depth wise, Ottawa is as good or better.

If you're saying TO's top 6 is better, yes they are. But 1-12, Ottawa has the edge. Overall, that's a matter of opinion since top 6 means alot, but Ottawa definitely is at the same level as all the other top 5 teams without question.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:08 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Colorado.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:44 AM
RiellyGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Avs have a nice top 6 but Ottawa boasts the deepest offense 1 through 9. I mean Spezza and Havlat on your third line? That's just sick.
everyone uses this argument (and not ta take away from the sens because they are deep), but because they are on the third line doesnt mean there are 6 players better than them on the team.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-sentral
Avs have a nice top 6 but Ottawa boasts the deepest offense 1 through 9. I mean Spezza and Havlat on your third line? That's just sick.

True, but the Sens don't have a #1 or #2 leftwinger. Their left side is pretty weak.

Old
02-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Safir*

Gimme da Senators.

Old
02-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Douggy

First of all let me clarify: I'm talking in the present here. There is no doubt Ottawas group will be better in the future, but I'm conserned with the 2004 Cup, not the 2010 Cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
Ottawa has, without a doubt, the best right side in the NHL. Hossa, Alfredsson, Havlat. Toronto is strong here as well with Nolan and Mogilny but Renberg doesn't impress amongst this group.
I'd say Hossa, Havlat and Mogilny are on the same level here. I think Nolan is better than Alfredsson, and Renberg is under-rated.

Either way, I'll conceed that Ottawa has the edge here. How much of an edge is debatable, but whatever.

Quote:
At centre, TO goes with Sundin, Nieuwendyk, Reichel and Antropov? As a whole, I would say they are marginally better than Ottawa throwing out Spezza, Bonk, White and Fisher (we're talking healthy here so Van Allen doesn't count).
I'm not too familiar with Bonk, but I'm confident that Sundin and Nieuwy are both better. Spezza... He's pretty good, but for now, Sundin and Nieuwy are better than him too. I'd say Reichel is on par with White and Fisher, and Antropov is a step below them.

Still, I'll give the edge to Toronto here.
Quote:
Left side Ottawa has Varada, Schaefer, Smolinski and Vermette/Langfeld. TO has Roberts, Tucker, Ponikarovsky and Stajan. Maybe Fitzgerald, I'm not sure exactly. Roberts is clearly the best of the lot but depth wise, Ottawa is as good or better.
Here's how this one breaks down in my mind:
Roberts >> Smolinski
Tucker = Varada
Ponikarovsky < Schaefer (although Poni's been hot lately)
Stajan > Vermette/Langfeld.

Again, I'll give the Leafs the edge.
Quote:
If you're saying TO's top 6 is better, yes they are. But 1-12, Ottawa has the edge. Overall, that's a matter of opinion since top 6 means alot, but Ottawa definitely is at the same level as all the other top 5 teams without question.
I think we both agree that Torontos top 6 is better. I have to hold my ground and say that Toronto has a better top 9 though. I went this whole post (so far) without mentioning Craig Johnson, Tom Fitzgerald, or Tie Domi.

Both teams have the elite players that can put the puck in the net. Maybe Ottawa's are better. Who knows?? But it's the veterans with playoff experience that set Toronto apart.

Old
02-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Douggy

And let me re-iterate that I never said the Leafs were the best. Philly and Colorado are still better.

Old
02-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Mizral

[QUOTE=odiedog][QUOTE=Douggy]
5. Senators (I'm sorry, but I just don't see the Sens forwards as anywhere near as good as those other teams.)
Quote:

Well, that's homerism for you...

Honestly, I won't knock your opinion because you lean towards the Leafs but you're saying that the best offensive team in the league does not have comparable players? Toronto does have a stellar front-line, no question. So break it down positionally instead of by lines:

Funny, I have the Leafs centre and left side better by the same margin you have Ottawa over Toronto's right side

Don't underrate physical play. The Leafs forwards bang and crash more than anybody in this league. The Sens aren't shrinking violets, but nowhere near as physical as the Leaf guys.

Old
02-12-2004, 04:10 PM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
Colorado

Closed Thread