HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Like it or Not

Old
04-22-2008, 12:57 AM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Like it or Not

Trotz and crew get a new deal.
Details
at a presser in the morning.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

hooray for more 1 and dones

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Personally, I'm hoping for a two-year deal with a team option for a third. Trotz certainly hasn't taken this team past the first round of the playoffs, but he has put them there the past four years straight - a feat only six other teams have accomplished. He has certainly evolved as a coach many times over in the past ten years and has admittedly made mistakes along the way that we all hope he has learned from, but the fact remains that at this point in our franchise history...stability is a good thing and I really believe right now that Barry Trotz and company are the best candidates for the job.

I will not give Barry any leeway for just getting the team to the playoffs anymore, that time has come and now passed...but I'm content with the current direction of the franchise both on and off the ice and believe that these folks have played a major role in setting that course and delivering to this point.

I give him two seasons to show significant progress (ie: advance past the first round of the playoffs, integrate our young players into the lineup, and make our special teams "special") and if he has not met goals at that point, then I look in a new direction.

This season with all the turmoil going on all around them this team battled hard every night...that was not in spite of Trotz, but in fact as a sign of their respect for him and his leadership - among other things.

As NIF said, like it or not...IMO this is a great start to the offseason and continues to show the rest of the league that Nashville is back in business and that the firesale and all the instability caused by it is over. We are open for business!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 06:13 AM
pred33fan

This doesn't suprise me, but I absolutely HATE it. I'm sick of first round exits. So what if they've made the playoffs for the past four years and only 6 other teams have done that. How many of THOSE teams haven't won a road game or a series?

pred33fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 07:00 AM
DManPreds11

Horrible News!!!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 07:04 AM
handtrick

I have to agree with SLake here.....I think a 2 yr deal, with a team option for a third would be ideal.

The running joke in the locker room this year was that Trotz would go into "panic mode".....I think this directly stems from his fear of making one wrong step or decision and losing his job.
I think if he is given the security of the above deal, he can feel more liberty to think out of the box, try new wrinkles to systems, etc....basically make decisions that aren't heavily colored by protecting his butt.

It also projects the aire of stability to the franchise going into the free agent season, which is a big reason that Kariya, Arnott, Dumont all signed in the first place here.

Anyway.....eventhough you can't fire a player in the NHL like you can in the NFL....you can always fire the coach......

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Jarnberg

You would think that Trotz will be out of excuses if we fail to either make the playoffs or advance past the first round next year.

first Detroit series - we were just happy to be there apparently
first SJ series - Injuries
second SJ series - Injuries
second Detroit series - apparently the ownership issue from the past summer gave him a free pass

I notice another common trend with each series, our biggest players failing to step up their play when needed most.

Hopefully Poile gives Trotz more then enough tools this time too. I'm tired of having to rely on Smithson, Fiddler, Nichol, and Tootoo for providing offense when we have injuries.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm not suprised. I figured he would sign a new deal. I too am hoping for a 2 year maximum deal, with a third year option. Anything longer is a mistake.

With Trotz and his crew back again, one has to wonder:

1) Will we see the same crappy powerplay....again? Will it ever get past the cross ice pass?

2) Are we doomed to seeing the same passive defensive system, where we let offenses enter our zone with speed, rather than slowing them down/forcing the puck deep at the blueline?

3) Are the Holmstrom's of the league always going to be given the crease for free?

04-22-2008, 09:11 AM
lugnut76

Maybe I'm the minority, but I like this move a lot. This team had no business making the playoffs given the roster turnover but they did, and if that isn't enough I think Trotz showed improvement as a coach during this playoff series with Detroit. One could argue that he out-coached Babcock in the game 3 win, and that would be a first for him in the playoffs. In all but one playoff series (San Jose), we had a significantly inferior roster even before injuries.

I am not a fan of all that Trotz does, but I am a big fan of stability, especially after a year that has been anything but stable. I would liked to have heard of a change of assistants (whoever works with the power play).

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:14 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Enough excuses IMO, either we not only make the playoffs but get out of the first round next season or Trotz is done.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I'm not suprised. I figured he would sign a new deal. I too am hoping for a 2 year maximum deal, with a third year option. Anything longer is a mistake.

1) Will we see the same crappy powerplay....again? Will it ever get past the cross ice pass?

2) Are we doomed to seeing the same passive defensive system, where we let offenses enter our zone with speed, rather than slowing them down/forcing the puck deep at the blueline?

3) Are the Holmstrom's of the league always going to be given the crease for free?
Yes ... No

Yes

Yes

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
lugnut76

Quote:

1. Did the powerplay struggle because of scheme or because we had a guy like Rich Peverly on the 5 on 3 who would have scored had he been offensively gifted enough for a one-timer? Was our D not holding the puck in the zone a scheme problem or is that Zidlicky can't play the puck with anything but his stick? To me this is a roster issue.

2. This one I probably agree with, but I think our defense played very well in the playoffs. We may have given up a lot of shots but most were from safe areas on the ice.

3. Was Holmstrom really a factor in the playoff series? I don't have the stats, but I only remember one goal. You can't move guys from the front of the net once they get there given the new rules and why give your goalie more traffice to deal with? I am all for taking the guy out after the initial save so he can't get to the rebound, but I don't think standing there pounding on the guy before he is threat does much good.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Food for thought:

- 6-6 at home in the playoffs
- 0-10 on the road in the playoffs
- 1-3 in series openers
- When facing elimination at home, the Predators are 0-4.
- ^ All four playoff defeats have been at home, twice in game 6, twice in game 5.

Most reasonable fans would consider the playoff loss to Detroit in 03/04 a perfect playoff performance from our team. In all honesty, it was the best effort I have seen from our group, and I truly believe we outplayed the Wings in 4 out of 6 of those games (games 1 and 2 were all Predators even though they lost in Detroit).

Both Shark series saw the Predators get significantly out-coached with arguably a better team in 05/06 and definitely a better team in 06/07. 2 wins and a collective 0-4 on the road is inexcusable.

Losing to the Wings in 6 this year...well, I'm not suprised. We didn't have the horses or the team to beat the Wings. That said, the Predators are one of the few teams that match up well against the Wings. A healthy Legwand and Arnott in this series, I believe, would have netted us our first road win. A healthy Sullivan might have won us the series.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
DManPreds11

Quote:

WOW!! I was hoping these thoughts were going through somebody's mind other than me while watching the games. I think it was Zanon that said in an interview that "we're going to let Holmstrom do his thing and leave him alone so we don't have another body there screening Ellis". My brother (tulsytrid) and I looked at each other in disbelief that he had just said that although during the game it seemed that way. On your second point, Trotz is always knocking the younger players on "Defensive" responsibilities and yet we give up about 30 shots on net per game, and continue to let them gain the zone, basically giving them a free shot. It's unbelievable!!! Great Post!

DManPreds11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 11:49 AM
TrotzMustGo

Homer is not the only one that stands in front of our net without getting knocked out of the way...Ryan Smyth also does this against us. Anybody with a power forward will do this against us. It is no difference than when somebody takes a run at our players and no retribution. Kronwall in this series. Last season, in the regular season, it was Kunitz for the Ducks that was running Kimmo.

Our power play was terrible last year when we had Kimmo, Hartnell, and Kariya. Our power play was terrible this year without them. We switched coaches in charge of the power play and we have the same result. Once of the problems is we have too many set-up guys on the power play and not enough finishers. Arnott is the only one on the first unit and Weber and maybe Suter on the second unit.

In my opinion, we will have more of the same next year. We will get pushed around, we will let teams skate in our zone with no problems, and we will be one and done again.

TrotzMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 02:03 PM
braindead

I was hoping that we would keep Trotz (for many of the reasons noted above) and get some fresh talent at the assistant level. It's hard to argue with the success of our PK or the failure of our PP. I think, sorry to say, we have a team full of penalty killers. Particularly our high end forwards don't have PP finishing skill (see Legwand, Erat particularly....) and our bottom 6 add NO value to a PP.

I do wonder why we can't make one single solitary person to stand in front of the net. Holmstrom got his start from a one of the greatest coaches ever... who told him he would only get ice time if he stood in front of the net.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:14 PM
handtrick

It looks like it's 2 yrs with an option for a third [but it doesn't state whose option, I would assume it is the Pred's option]

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs..../80422051/1028

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:27 PM
tulsytrid1

I ask why to the hockey Gods....do they hate us so?????

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

It is more or less what I expected, but not what I hoped for.
I really wish the leash was shorter, but given the green new ownership I am not surprised. I had hoped maybe Horachek would be let go. Just as extra motivation for Peterson (who is underrated, I think) and Trotz to FIX THE POWERPLAY!

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Great news!!!! I love watching train wreaks, car crashes, and other disasters. Our PP and playoff performances qualify somewhere in there.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
DarkReign

No offense Nashville fans, but youre spoiled.

Trotz is an excellent coach. Cream of the crop. Future Jack Adams winner.

You dont know that because you havent seen anything else. But I am glad to see your organization isnt as naive.

Maybe one day you guys will get your wish, and he'll be gone. Then your team will be worse without him (unless they draft the next Crosby/Brodeur of course).

Lets look at some facts:

- Your team had a firsale before last year's deadline and in the offseason
- Ownership change/problems/distractions
- Picked to be one of the DEAD LAST teams, you were supposed to be in the Tavares Sweepstakes

Not only do you lose arguably your best forward for the whole damn season (Sullivan), but your team is decimated with injuries up front heading into the playoffs (including game 1....Nichol, Arnott, Legwand).

Even beyond that, your team played damn well against (arguably) one of the best teams in the league, pushing them to 6 games with no offensive horses in the lineup.

Personally, I think those of you asking for Trotz's dismissal are as dumb as the day is long.

You have no idea what youre asking for. But maybe youll get it one day and you will finally be the doormat franchise everyone expects you to be year in and year out (barring 2006-2007).

Spolied. Rotten.

The day Trotz is dismissed, is the day I want him to be the Wings coach (if Babcock has moved on, that is). You can be the next Scotty Bowman/Jacques Lemaire, but if you dont have the horses, you dont win the race (see Minnesota year in and year out).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkReign View Post
Lets look at some facts:

- Your team had a firsale before last year's deadline and in the offseason
Partly true. We did not have a firesale before the deadline. Unless you call taking on Peter Forsberg and losing a low contract youngster, a prospect, and a few draft picks a firesale.

Quote:
- Picked to be one of the DEAD LAST teams, you were supposed to be in the Tavares Sweepstakes
Which obviously would be this coming season.

Quote:
Not only do you lose arguably your best forward for the whole damn season (Sullivan), but your team is decimated with injuries up front heading into the playoffs (including game 1....Nichol, Arnott, Legwand).
Really only Legwand was injured going into the playoffs, unless you are counting Sullivan, who hasn't played since February of last year.

Quote:
Even beyond that, your team played damn well against (arguably) one of the best teams in the league, pushing them to 6 games with no offensive horses in the lineup.
Depends on your definition of 'offensive horses', but its pretty disappointing to see Dumont struggle and Erat and Radulov fail to step up when needed. We had Arnott for 4 of the games, Legwand for 3 of the games. I wouldn't say we had 'no' offensive horses.

Quote:
Personally, I think those of you asking for Trotz's dismissal are as dumb as the day is long.
You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
You have no idea what youre asking for. But maybe youll get it one day and you will finally be the doormat franchise everyone expects you to be year in and year out (barring 2006-2007).

Spolied. Rotten.
Are you suggesting that no other coach in the world can get our team into the playoffs, win a road playoff game, or perhaps win a playoff round?

I think if you actually talk with alot of Predators fans (instead of simply calling them 'dumb'), you'll likely find that alot think that Trotz is a good coach. He does get alot out of fourth line players. It's his handling of our top players which frustrates alot of us. Why is it that our top players disappear when the playoffs come around? Why does our PP perform so poorly? Why does our team frequently come out flat or fail to play a complete game?

Trotz did an ok job this year, all things considered. Looking back, it was a smart move keeping him on after the player turnover, because with a coaching turnover, it might have been too much to take on. I think alot of us agree that Trotz is a good coach, but where we disagree is whether or not Trotz can take our team to the next level. That next level is success in the playoffs.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 11:42 AM
RollingPredFan

Thats the thing. We've seen him with an all-star roster, we've seen him with a bargain basement roster. He's not a bad coach mind you...

But a roster with Kariya, Forsberg, Arnott, Dumont, Vokoun, etc should have gotten us more than one playoff win.

We are just questioning can he take us to the next level. So far, no.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 12:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Thats the thing. We've seen him with an all-star roster, we've seen him with a bargain basement roster. He's not a bad coach mind you...

But a roster with Kariya, Forsberg, Arnott, Dumont, Vokoun, etc should have gotten us more than one playoff win.

We are just questioning can he take us to the next level. So far, no.
People always refer to our 2007-08 roster like it’s some kind of dream team. I think we need to take a more realistic view at that this…

- Our best player and team leader (Sullivan) was out for a big chunk of the season AND all the playoffs.
- We had the most inexperienced defense in the NHL
- “All-star” JP Dumount came to us because Buffalo wasn’t willing to pay him 2 million dollars. Yes, what we pay Devries right now.
- Arnott came to us because Dallas didn’t see him as a core player. Arnott has been a secondary/complementary player is whole career, even when on the first line with Elias and Sykora in NJ.
- Kariya is a “has-been” all-star. He had a horrible year with the Avs before us. And now he’s had a horrible year with the Blues after us. Maybe Trotz should be given credit for his production while a Pred.
- People toss around Forsberg like he makes you an instant cup contender. This is the same Forsberg that played on a bummed foot all year and was leading the bottom dwelling Flyers

“But a roster with Kariya, Forsberg, Arnott, Dumont, Vokoun, etc should have gotten us more than one playoff win.”

- A roster of Luongo, Sedin, Sedin, Naslund, Ohlund, etc landed the Canucks out of the playoffs.
- A roster of Nash, Zherdev, Federov, Foote, etc landed the BJs out of the playoffs (for the 9th straight year)
- A roster of Jokinen, Boumeester, Horton, Vokoun, etc landed the Panthers out of the playoffs.
- A roster of Lecavlier, St. Louis, Richards, etc landed the Lightning in last place.

Back to the present. Bottom line with the extension… Trotz is one of the few coaches who would’ve gotten this team in the playoffs. He may be the only one. For that, he deserves and extension.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-23-2008 at 01:08 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I think if you actually talk with alot of Predators fans (instead of simply calling them 'dumb'), you'll likely find that alot think that Trotz is a good coach. He does get alot out of fourth line players. It's his handling of our top players which frustrates alot of us. Why is it that our top players disappear when the playoffs come around? Why does our PP perform so poorly? Why does our team frequently come out flat or fail to play a complete game?
In the four seasons that we made the playoffs what was our power play percentage?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote