HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lineup: Kovalev with Koivu

Old
04-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Michel Bergeron said on 110% that Koivu was mad at Carbo giving Kovy the "C" without consulting him

I'm sure Michel Bergeron is the first person Koivu would confide in.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm sure Michel Bergeron is the first person Koivu would confide in.
Just to be clear, the goes to Bergeron lol

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 02:27 AM
ari1160

this is all pure bs.... only in Montreal this kinda stupid stuff happens.
koivu is known to be a team player, and if there was any hate i guess it would be clear to see it. it doesn't take about 4 years to know if someone hates the other guy or the other way around.

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 05:02 AM
snap-bar

i ****ing love this team

snap-bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:00 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Hum, you guys ALL missed, in the first period, when Koivu and Kovy led a nice attack that led to a scoring chance that Thomas stopped and freezed, and Koivu and Kovy when and "tapped" (well, you could say high five) their gloves.

I'd say both like each other.
Agreed.

With all the rumours about their "rift" I thought it was awesome to see them celebrate the play like that.

The brothers seem to play very well with Plekanec, and not just from this game.. Every time they've taken shifts together they've come out buzzing. Keep these lines together for the time being IMO.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Koivu was pissed off at Carbo for giving Kovy the "C", according to Michel Bergeron on 110%
lol...damn you, tricked me into reading your whole post.

04-24-2008, 08:20 AM
mcphee

I think there's been a lot of accurate statements here. The one puck theory is true, the theory of not playing them together lends depth or stability down the lineup, all true.

As to personality, I think there's a bit of everything . My impression is that Koivu might be a real private guy, you know poeple like that, doesn't have a 100 friends but a few good ones. I don't think he gets real close to every player that joins the team, moreso maintains a professional relationship. This probably gives him a standoffish appearance to some.

Captains take heat when personalities erupt within a team. I think Koivu was close to some players who took issue with Kovalev last year. So, if I filter all the gossip and try and arrive at how things really work, I'd suspect that they aren't buddies. They probably have mutual respect for the other's abilities, and stature.

Both understand the up and down nature of sports,particularly in Mtl and get along accordingly. I think Kovalev played a large part if AK and Pleks play this year as he moved the puck well and they became a line.

Right now, he's trying to do too much and to an extent, neutalizing the young guys. Higgins and Koivu , being more experienced, won't defer to him.

It also allows the other 3 guys to play a little more a puck moving, flowing game.

That is, until a few bad shifts and Carbo feels he needs to adjust.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:47 AM
jcpenny

This whole BS has pissed me off for a long time. First of all Koivu and Kovalev have always been awsome togheter, from their moments in the playoffs in 2004 to the beginning of the following season, they have always been great togheter. At one point both were injured and were never brought back togheter. Also the"they both want the puck" is kinda true but it is not a problem. Just take a look at how they moved the puck in that game seven...The Kosty bros line has tremendous upside and may be the reason why Kovalev and Koivu might stay togheter for a while.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50

Look at them, playing against each other like they're enemies. You can just feel the hate coming from them as the try to deke each other out.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I call BS on the whole Kovalev/Koivu not liking each other. No solid proof has ever come out in regards to this.

I think Carbo just kept them apart because they are his two strongest offensive players.
I hope so. I don't see evidence of this either. I personally like not putting all the eggs in one basket. I mean in certain key situations it's necessary, but it's better to spread out the scoring.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
It is apparent that there is some kind of agreement within Canadiens circles that Kovalev and Koivu won't play on the same line. Even Koivu said in recent interviews that "he was asked to play with Alex" in the runup to game 7 and that it wasn't a problem.

I've heard short comments about a rift, and matter of fact statements that line draw ups have to accommodate Koivu and Kovalev not being on the same line. My question is where did this originate, and for what reasons?

The problem seems to be one of those infrequently discussed innuendo topics but is considered to be fact. No matter how closely I follow the team I've never read an explanation for these comments. This seems more guarded than the formula for Coca Cola.

Anyone have the history that I'm missing?

I'd say we should split them up for the first game or 2 and see how things go. Kovy had a great season with Pleks and Andrei, so why take that away? I could see changing the lines up since Chara was always watching Kovy like a hawk, but Philly doesn't have Chara so I think we should go back to the lines we used most of the season and see how we fair out for the first game or 2 anyways....if we're not scoring and things aren't going great, then put Kovy up on the wing with Koivu and Higgins again.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:05 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
I hope so. I don't see evidence of this either. I personally like not putting all the eggs in one basket. I mean in certain key situations it's necessary, but it's better to spread out the scoring.
Well it is not exactly putting the eggs in the same basket. The AK-Pleks-SK line has first line potential also with the Bros chemistry. We have to see how great they can be togheter.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM
number 11

meh. my buddy working at the bell centre sees them leaving in the same car pretty often.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
meh. my buddy working at the bell centre sees them leaving in the same car pretty often.
Isn't Kovalev a downtown, or Old Mtl dweller ? I think Koivu's moved to the South Shore hasn't he ? Didn't he say that pre-season ?

Old
04-24-2008, 09:25 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Isn't Kovalev a downtown, or Old Mtl dweller ? I think Koivu's moved to the South Shore hasn't he ? Didn't he say that pre-season ?
I believe so. Maybe they were going to the club supersexe lunch buffet?

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:29 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by number9 View Post
I believe so. Maybe they were going to the club supersexe lunch buffet?
Could be, though I'd think they could afford more than buffet fare. Then again, athletes are notoriously cheap.

Old
04-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Yep, it's pretty evident these guys can't stand each other.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
It is apparent that there is some kind of agreement within Canadiens circles that Kovalev and Koivu won't play on the same line. Even Koivu said in recent interviews that "he was asked to play with Alex" in the runup to game 7 and that it wasn't a problem.

I've heard short comments about a rift, and matter of fact statements that line draw ups have to accommodate Koivu and Kovalev not being on the same line. My question is where did this originate, and for what reasons?

The problem seems to be one of those infrequently discussed innuendo topics but is considered to be fact. No matter how closely I follow the team I've never read an explanation for these comments. This seems more guarded than the formula for Coca Cola.

Anyone have the history that I'm missing?
Didn't you guys see them high fiving eachother in the first period of the other game... it wasn't even a goal or a fantastic play.

I think chemistry is good.

Quote:
Koivu was pissed off at Carbo for giving Kovy the "C", according to Michel Bergeron on 110%
HA. Ya got 10habs10 there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Hum, you guys ALL missed, in the first period, when Koivu and Kovy led a nice attack that led to a scoring chance that Thomas stopped and freezed, and Koivu and Kovy when and "tapped" (well, you could say high five) their gloves.

I'd say both like each other.
There ya go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Downtown/Old Montreal is on the way to the South Shore.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Didn't you guys see them high fiving eachother in the first period of the other game... it wasn't even a goal or a fantastic play.

I think chemistry is good.

HA. Ya got 10habs10 there..

There ya go!

Downtown/Old Montreal is on the way to the South Shore.
You saying Kovy's cheap, whines for lifts to save on gas ? Typical biase. Hater.

I've never used that word before, I'm trying to be more current.

Old
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I call BS on the whole Kovalev/Koivu not liking each other. No solid proof has ever come out in regards to this.

I think Carbo just kept them apart because they are his two strongest offensive players.
DING DING DING

there's your answer. And now that he knows kostys and pleks are good and that line can still be good, no reason to not have koivu/kovy together ))))

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:10 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Agreed.

With all the rumours about their "rift" I thought it was awesome to see them celebrate the play like that.

The brothers seem to play very well with Plekanec, and not just from this game.. Every time they've taken shifts together they've come out buzzing. Keep these lines together for the time being IMO.
Agleed.

The Kostitsyn Bros know exactly where the other is.

What happens is sick passes and rushes. And who's better than Plekanec, who is not only a great passer but also very solid defensively, to support them?

And then you have Koivu, Kovalev and Higgins. All 3 can go in the corner and get the puck. All 3 can score. All 3 are intense.

So, with these 2 lines, we have a definitive 1st line, and a 2nd line, but good golly is that 2nd line good.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post

This photo was taken by Michel Bergeron...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:17 AM
dutchy29

I think even more importantly the Kostytsin bros. exploded last game when playing together and why don't we give this a shot until it doesnt work. The three games previous to game 7 our goal scoring was impotent.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:18 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post

Koivu, look out!!! Kovy's got a knife!!!

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Well it is not exactly putting the eggs in the same basket. The AK-Pleks-SK line has first line potential also with the Bros chemistry. We have to see how great they can be togheter.
True dat.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote