HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GAME TAKES: Mtl 4 Phi: 3 OT - Habs lead series 1-0

Old
04-25-2008, 02:09 AM
Natural Habs Fan

vCash: 500
I think a lot of posters are trying to be a little too humble by saying that we didn't deserve to win and that we got lucky. Both teams got their bounces, in fact I'd say that the Flyers got a few more than the Habs if you take the 1st period posts, the Brisebois own goal and the puck of Lupul's skate. I think the Habs were the better team for the majority of the game. Philly had a few brief moments of sustained pressure but I'd still give Montreal the nod in terms of game control.

Although Brisebois has his defensive brain cramps he is much better at getting the puck out of the zone and making outlet passes than O'Byrne. Obi needs a little more seasoning, think about Komi when he started out.

I would like to see Ryder play in Dandenault's place with Max & Streit however. Although Ryder may not score all the time he still draws a lot of attention from defenders. Dandenault seems like a chicken running around with his head cut off at the moment.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:13 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan View Post
I think a lot of posters are trying to be a little too humble by saying that we didn't deserve to win and that we got lucky. Both teams got their bounces, in fact I'd say that the Flyers got a few more than the Habs if you take the 1st period posts, the Brisebois own goal and the puck of Lupul's skate. I think the Habs were the better team for the majority of the game. Philly had a few brief moments of sustained pressure but I'd still give Montreal the nod in terms of game control.

Although Brisebois has his defensive brain cramps he is much better at getting the puck out of the zone and making outlet passes than O'Byrne. Obi needs a little more seasoning, think about Komi when he started out.

I would like to see Ryder play in Dandenault's place with Max & Streit however. Although Ryder may not score all the time he still draws a lot of attention from defenders. Dandenault seems like a chicken running around with his head cut off at the moment.
His contribution has been in the neutral and defensive zone. He's been absolutely doggedly determined in those zones. I think he's earned his keep. Ryder is a defensive liability if only for his tendency to get too fancy in the O zone, causing turnovers with speed through the neutral zone and more action at our blue line. Dandy is fulfilling his role much better than Ryder would, IMO.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Lemons

Habs are the best team in NHL. Quote me on this *****.

Last edited by Transported Upstater: 04-25-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Don't circumvent the profanity filter, please.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalBallHuet View Post
And we traded Leighton...
We waived him so you could trade him

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:23 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyguy10 View Post
The Habs will not dominate the flyers. They were almost outshot in their own barn, playing into phillys game far to much. They didnt deserve this game and philly will respond. You could only wish to play the bruins again.
What does that even mean??

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:27 AM
All-Star

Both teams dominated for 30 minutes, and Philly plays the same style of hockey the Habs do. This is going to be an excellent series!

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:28 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Pics from last nights games. They're not in any particular order, so even after the Wings/Avs pictures there's a few from the Habs game.

http://www.esports.lv/hokejs/galerij...ts=1&picture=1

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostitsyntheBagBaby View Post
What does that even mean??

"Sounds like Springfield's got a discipline problem."
"Maybe that's why we beat 'em at football nearly half the time, huh?"

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 06:33 AM
JaymzB

First off, is anyone actually surprised that Flyer fans are kinda pissed at the Richards call and the Kovy goal? It's the freaking playoffs! Of course they are gonna be pissed at 2 very close calls that don't go their way. Don't for a second think there wouldn't be a similar reaction here if the roles were reversed. And why not? It's human nature to get angry at stuff like that, especially in the playoffs.

As for the game, I personally didn't think it was all that good. Neither team seemed to really be in the game. The Habs came out quick, and played well the first 10 minutes or so, but after that it just didn't seem to have the intensity of a playoff game. I think the lack of penalties called is directly correlated to the lack of players really fighting for the puck, on both sides. I fully expect both teams to show a lot more on Saturday.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Coincidence we tied it then won it after I switched to Mandarin from Cole? I think not.
I have been standing through the entirety of the games and they have been winning but last night I slipped and was sitting for the third period when I realized what I was doing!! I then sprung to my feet and within 10 seconds Richards was called for tripping. I will NEVER SIT again while watching a Habs game!!!!!!!!

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Where's the Kostitsyn (s) hate now?
It slowly backed away and is now waiting in the shadows for a couple of young playoff rookies to have an off game so it can jump out and yell "SEE!!! I TOLD YOU!!!". It'll be back, at some point. Even if the boys continue to combine for at least one goal each game for a couple more series, there will be some people who expect them to be perfect the whole time, looking for the cracks so they can try and widen them. It's the same with a few players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
What? How can we hate them?
Good question. Although there were the odd one or two folks around here calling for them to be benched during the Bruins series and I saw at least one claim that they should be traded in the off-season as they clearly don't care about winning the Stanley Cup. So you know, it's basically business as usual around here. Nothing to worry about.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Beakermania*

IS THERE ANYTHING MORE EXCITING THEN A PLAYOFF OT WINNER??

honestly?

Total joy or just plain heartbreak..... I love Playoff OT.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 07:46 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
His contribution has been in the neutral and defensive zone. He's been absolutely doggedly determined in those zones. I think he's earned his keep. Ryder is a defensive liability if only for his tendency to get too fancy in the O zone, causing turnovers with speed through the neutral zone and more action at our blue line. Dandy is fulfilling his role much better than Ryder would, IMO.
Dandy is not even good defensively. He can barely get the puck out of his zone and if you pressure he will lose it because he has no hands and zero hockey sense. Guys like him are useless especially when you are trailling like we were last night. Carbo loves to roll 4 lines but He was so useless that he had to bench him and double shift Kovy. Ryder can easily do his job plus bring some offense.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:05 AM
CacaLauncher23

Anywhere I go on the internet, there are flyers fans crying about the refs. I thought this sore loser attitude was limited to Boston. Guess not. Some even make up conspiracy theories about the league fixing the game. Not to mention virulent french bashing. I guess speaking bad french makes you a citizen of France now...

............................................______ __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.................................................. .........,}
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}
.............../.................................................. .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`............/
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`..... ......../
..........**.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/.......}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\.

Now let's imagine for a second that this was all true. That refs stole us the game.
We still went to OT and it was a totally new game, a clean slate for both teams, AND FLYERS LOST WITHIN LESS THAN A MINUTE!

My god, I hope the habs lead the flyers with 5 goals the next game they win so they stop complaining.

CacaLauncher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:07 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

The best team on the ice last night LOST!
That's it... it happens in hockey.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:13 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
The best team on the ice? The Flyers played well only after their 3rd goal when they had the lead. They blocked the middle and made the most of it but from most part of the game they were invisible. I think you forgot about that part or maybe the 3rd period is what you rememerber the most about the game.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Caseofcups*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Yet you still had to go to OT to beat us.

Habs were dominating for sure
Repeat after me: Ole, Ole,Ole.Ole.............Oleeeee....Oleeeee

Caseofcups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:21 AM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
no, I'd say the best team on the ice won

No one told the Flyers to get scored on 40 seconds into OT

No one told them to get a penalty, lose a faceoff and make the Canadiens tie it up to even get to OT

Canadiens played better, they were just unlucky throughout the game. But once they got their **** together they did what they had to do

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Judge Sauer*

Something I found a little disconcerting last night is that the Habs didn't have anyone around to capitalize on rebound opportunities, the players were in front of the net from time to time through the night. They need someone to park there more often, because there were some real good rebound chances last night.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:30 AM
mcphee

Outshot,almost, the better team, a good sign, who gives a crap. At this point, I want the CH to find a way to win 4 times agaisnt the Flyers, everything else is muzak.

I think I'd lean towards Streit moving back alongside Hamrlik, and inserting Ryder and Lats, while sitting Dandenault and PB. Breezer seems like there's too much of a gap between idea and execution right now, and it could get more costly.

I'd like to give Ryder and Lats a chance, just to see if they can spark a game or 2, maybe get a few key goals. I'd think differently if Dandy played on the pk, but he doesn't so....

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 08:34 AM
Trexim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
the shots were 34 - 33, so not really a good argument.
And hitting posts didn't count as shot on goal IIRC.

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I still don't understand why people (Flyer fans I guess) are complaining about the Kovalev goal. I'm not sure what angles the American feeds had but the CBC one was pretty clear that the puck made contact with the heel (very bottom of the stick/blade) of his stick...which was at the very least even with the crossbar.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Someone mentioned something that REALLY bothers me...

Why on earth does nobody (save on the 3rd line, sometimes) go to the freakin' net????

So many times there's passes through the crease and NO ONE to get it because everyone's playing the perimeter.

Lats, i believe, does go to the net (when he's quick enough to get there...).

The fourth line needs more Lats and Ryder and less Dandy...

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I still don't understand why people (Flyer fans I guess) are complaining about the Kovalev goal. I'm not sure what angles the American feeds had but the CBC one was pretty clear that the puck made contact with the heel (very bottom of the stick/blade) of his stick...which was at the very least even with the crossbar.

*yawn* this is getting old.

The war room in Toronto say it had video evidence that it was a goal. END OF STORY.

Quote:
In your opinion. I think the best team won last night. I don't see how a team that got two of their goals on 'flukes' can consider themselves the victim of luck. Montreal could of easily had this game wrapped up in the first five minutes if the Flyers didn't get saved by a couple posts, etc.

04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
The Flyers were not the best team on the ice last night,far from it.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote